Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

KillHour posted:

The hell was your email address? Nobody has time to type all that.

I mean I'm not gonna say it, but suffice it to say both my name and the organisations domain were both quite long, so with our powers combined..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

O365 still has issues in weird spots if your upn and email address don’t match.

But it handles the changing of those fairly cleanly.

The only issue we have with name changes is the HR system, where SSO is keyed on email address, so if a users email changes they need to re-register. But once they do it’s all back to normal.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Had a user blow a gasket in the initial ticket about how we don't respect preferred names because their legal name was showing up in a few places in Teams.

Turns out Teams was (maybe still is?) pulling AD attributes other than display name for displaying the user's name in a few spots. Had to go into attribute editor and just change everything to their preferred name for the issue to resolve.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

My favorite is when the preferred naming scheme (First Initial, Last Name) will not generate because of the profanity filter.

Chris Untz... Frank Uck... Tim Watt...

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I had an ass9, and they refused to change when offered.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Ticket: Credit card reader and internet are not working.

Solution: User unplugged network cable and plugged USB cord for credit card reader into network port. User then threw away network cable.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Did they also break the terminal's cupholder

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Relentless posted:

My favorite is when the preferred naming scheme (First Initial, Last Name) will not generate because of the profanity filter.

Speaking of inappropriate naming

I joined a team of elderly British voice engineers and the names of our Cisco Unity servers were pronounced as "be cunty" 1, 2 etc.
They took great pleasure in that one as they snuck it past everyone in senior management.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Guy Axlerod posted:

I had an ass9, and they refused to change when offered.

I wouldn't either tbh.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

My place is replacing all the old thin clients with laptops and docks for our full time WFH people. We sent them out with fairly decent instructions one of our crew came up with. Photos of every cable, the ends, detailed annotated images of where to plug things in for each possible model. I'm sure it helped someone but man, cables confuse people.

Twice today people have plugged their USB dock back into itself, and one person basically daisy chained two monitors back to the dock, and another just plugged one into the other with a displayport cable.

At least I'm getting good mileage out of my defusing IT support "joke". "Hey if computers were easy I wouldn't have a job! :imunfunny: Now take that cable we just discussed and what you're going to look for is..."

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

PirateDentist posted:

My place is replacing all the old thin clients with laptops and docks for our full time WFH people. We sent them out with fairly decent instructions one of our crew came up with. Photos of every cable, the ends, detailed annotated images of where to plug things in for each possible model. I'm sure it helped someone but man, cables confuse people.

Twice today people have plugged their USB dock back into itself, and one person basically daisy chained two monitors back to the dock, and another just plugged one into the other with a displayport cable.

At least I'm getting good mileage out of my defusing IT support "joke". "Hey if computers were easy I wouldn't have a job! :imunfunny: Now take that cable we just discussed and what you're going to look for is..."

Whoever made RJ-45 and USB about the same width really hated IT people.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Relentless posted:

The identity management team (which I belonged to for a while) had a Hall of Fame doc where we'd keep the best usernames. We also had a manual "human eyeballs" pass over every new hire batch to make sure there weren't any "Cathy Um" situations going thru the automated username generator unchecked.

My company also ties the samaccountname to an ID key somewhere. We would like to use our employee ID as the key instead, but none of the contractors have one because they're in a different payroll system :v: And ne'er the twain shall meet, apparently. We will do name changes, because we're woke as gently caress about supporting LGBT+ in addition to not wanting to stress someone getting married or divorced more than they already are being stressed. But we make you set up a half day appointment with one of our senior identity management folks, because the two of you are gonna get on a shared screen and you get to watch while that person changes every. Single. Account. Your. Username. Is. Keyed. To.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

The identity management team (which I belonged to for a while) had a Hall of Fame doc where we'd keep the best usernames. We also had a manual "human eyeballs" pass over every new hire batch to make sure there weren't any "Cathy Um" situations going thru the automated username generator unchecked.

My company also ties the samaccountname to an ID key somewhere. We would like to use our employee ID as the key instead, but none of the contractors have one because they're in a different payroll system :v: And ne'er the twain shall meet, apparently. We will do name changes, because we're woke as gently caress about supporting LGBT+ in addition to not wanting to stress someone getting married or divorced more than they already are being stressed. But we make you set up a half day appointment with one of our senior identity management folks, because the two of you are gonna get on a shared screen and you get to watch while that person changes every. Single. Account. Your. Username. Is. Keyed. To.
I've only worked at relatively small places, but my solution to the username question has always been to approach the employee and say "we can change your display name and email address no problem; username is a bit of a minefield. We'll do it, just be aware that it can cause some issues that we'll need to work through if we do." Pretty much everyone has been fine with that.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Best username I ever saw was Precious Dicks.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Guy Axlerod posted:

It's funny because the most "traditional" marriage would involve the wife changing her name. Unless this is employee-only thing and they think women aren't meant to work?

Based on my limited, and painful, GroupWise experience: Yes.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

PirateDentist posted:

E: Oh yeah, these are in no way modern. They were built up in the 80s at least. Still truckin' hard all this time later. No end in sight. :v: I told them they need to fix it to accept unicode before something explodes when someone puts an emoji in their address.

I declined a meeting invitation in Outlook's Android app by putting in a rude string of emoji, 'cause the guy on the receiving end can take a joke (and sends worse to the department group chat). When I saw him later he asked me wtf I sent him and showed me a huge paragraph of random Chinese symbols instead of three emoji.
Being modern has nothing to do with being competent.

Thanatosian posted:

Whoever made RJ-45 and USB about the same width really hated IT people.

Have you seen the mess they made of USB naming conventions? They clearly hate everyone, not just IT people.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

larchesdanrew posted:

Ticket: Credit card reader and internet are not working.

Solution: User unplugged network cable and plugged USB cord for credit card reader into network port. User then threw away network cable.
And the circle of life is complete.

Welcome to your new job bro

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

nexxai posted:

Welcome to your new job bro

*sis, actually :allears:

I was in a zoom meeting with the team today. The owner was sharing his screen as we ran through a report stashed in the cloud and at one point, the browser locked up and he realized it hadn't synced in about 20 minutes. I braced myself emotionally for his response.

My expectation, given my previous supervisors: Anger. Bright, blinding, red-hot anger that technology would have the absolute audacity to not do exactly his bidding. I am to be questioned loudly and publicly WHY this happened and what I was going to do to make sure it NEVER happened again. I would feel like a failure and spend my day wishing for death.

What actually happened was he said "huh, guess it wigged out. Ehh, I'll go back and fix all that later. let's keep going" and that was literally it.

I know this seems like a normal, completely unremarkable response, because it is. However I am absolutely not used to even a microscopic mote of kindness or understanding coming from my coworkers.

My emotional state is indescribably healthy at the moment. Who would have thought a small amount of respect would be good for my very soul.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

larchesdanrew posted:

Holy poo poo my bad :(

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

larchesdanrew posted:

OHHHHHHHHHHHH!
Well that certainly explains a lot of your former boss' condescending.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

OHHHHHHHHHHHH!
Well that certainly explains a lot of your former boss' condescending.

It explains it, yet makes the general situation EVEN WORSE.

He's not even an equal opportunity douchenozzle.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

larchesdanrew posted:

...OH.

This...puts a number of things in sudden context.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Congrats, Larches. You've found your pod.

Email chat: Due to 1) being late to the web and 2) a rigid understanding of professional naming requirements, I had a corporate email that was 30+ characters.

I had the shortest email in the company. I checked.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

dragonshardz posted:

...OH.

This...puts a number of things in sudden context.

Yeah, ain't our industry great. Oy.

Congrats larches, I recommend you never go back to Mississippi.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

larchesdanrew posted:

My emotional state is indescribably healthy at the moment. Who would have thought a small amount of respect would be good for my very soul.

This is literally me after my old boss got fired. You don't realize just how fundamentally toxic your relationship with them was until they're out of your life for a while. I'm not afraid to talk to my new boss and is such a weird feeling.

I feel free honestly.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Email chat: Due to 1) being late to the web and 2) a rigid understanding of professional naming requirements, I had a corporate email that was 30+ characters.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

RFC2324 posted:

Username shouldn't be the unique key, and if it must me then you should probably use something other than someone's name.

I've logged in with a 8 character employee id at more than one job, so this is a thing that can happen

With a company of several hundred thousand employees, the eight character employee ID works. We are allowed to pick it, and mine is first initial, last name, but most are a collision of letters from their first and last names.

I do know a dave@ and a mike@ which I think is so cool and so lucky. How they managed to score first name only and not dave0023@ is beyond me.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Yeah, not poo poo. I'm in a healthy organization now (single digits on Forbes' bets places to work in IT list) but my manager at the old job:

Thought good cop/bad cop was a management technique.
Had as the good cop someone who, in the last five years, was more than once prohibited from speaking to employees privately.

I still get twitchy when my new boss wants to speak with me unexpectedly, and in the Before Times "come on in and close the door" was a major stressor.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Jaded Burnout posted:

I worked at a place where the IT support app had a fixed limit of 50 characters for the email address field on the login page. My email address was more than 50 characters. Of course I couldn't open a ticket because I couldn't log in.. They "fixed" it by giving me an email alias.

Several years later I was told it had been fixed properly. They'd raised the limit to 100 characters.
For a while my phone provider's account interface wouldn't accept subdomains in email addresses. So if you had mail.farts.whatever you were hosed and couldn't get digital bills etc. Very clever given that literally all of the third level institutions in the country did things that way... :eng99:

Moo the cow posted:

Most seem to struggle with the O'Rileys O'Sullivans and O'Connors of the world, so Spın̈al Tap haven't a chance.
Sometime last year an Irish dude living in Belgium was guided by the twitter hivemind into getting his daughter's name registered correctly on her birthcert there. In the end the Irish consul had to go have a meeting with the king to have him ring the relevant government minister and decree that it be fixed.

Due to being unpopular and IT getting creative with the username rules for email addresses someone I used to know ended up with the username "lynchme". A "lynchm" already existed in the system, so she was stuck with it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Wizard of the Deep posted:

firstname.lastname.companyname@aol.com?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Yeah, ain't our industry great. Oy.

Congrats larches, I recommend you never go back to Mississippi.

...sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't.

my current problem of "upper management translates 'student assistant' to 'untrustworthy idiot'" falls into the shallow end of isn't.

some of the sudden connections I made mean that larches' treatment at $oldjob falls potentially much, much, MUCH deeper.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

larchesdanrew posted:

Every good story ends with a twist, goddamn :suspense:.

Glad you're in a much better place now after everything, Larches :unsmith:.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

larchesdanrew posted:

I, like others, am having a very :aaaaa: moment at this, it makes so much sense and I'm disappointed that i did not see it before. Now I just feel :blastu: is in order for your previous jobs.

v-- also yeah that.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jul 17, 2020

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

What’s that line from Spiderverse? Time to re-examine my personal biases?

Yeah. That.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

larchesdanrew posted:

I was in a zoom meeting with the team today. The owner was sharing his screen as we ran through a report stashed in the cloud and at one point, the browser locked up and he realized it hadn't synced in about 20 minutes. I braced myself emotionally for his response.

My expectation, given my previous supervisors: Anger. Bright, blinding, red-hot anger that technology would have the absolute audacity to not do exactly his bidding. I am to be questioned loudly and publicly WHY this happened and what I was going to do to make sure it NEVER happened again. I would feel like a failure and spend my day wishing for death.

What actually happened was he said "huh, guess it wigged out. Ehh, I'll go back and fix all that later. let's keep going" and that was literally it.

I know this seems like a normal, completely unremarkable response, because it is. However I am absolutely not used to even a microscopic mote of kindness or understanding coming from my coworkers.

It's really annoying how rare it is to find bosses who just understand "sometimes computer a dumb sack of poo poo for literally no identifiable reason and there's nothing anyone could have done"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Never mind “let’s just work the problem, we can save the figure-out-who-to-blame part for later, or hey maybe just treat us all like adults with common goals and make it never”

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

mllaneza posted:

Based on my limited, and painful, GroupWise experience: Yes.

To be fair, is GroupWise also not meant to work?

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

ConfusedUs posted:

What’s that line from Spiderverse? Time to re-examine my personal biases?

Yeah. That.

Larches also used language that was male coded to refer to themselves in the past. So while yes, while some re-examining is always good to keep in mind, it's not that unreasonable in the context of the thread if you've followed it for a while.

Congrats on the pod Larches! :yotj:

I found out my places WFH for the IT Dept ends at the end of the month, but I'll probably have to go live in the server room for desk social distancing. COVID! :/

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Canuck-Errant posted:

To be fair, is GroupWise also not meant to work?

That could almost have been a design goal, yeah.

My favorite thing was the mailbox corruption bug. When that hit us we were losing 20-30 mailboxes (out of 1000) a day. Not terrible since this was in the days of POP mail, but you'd still lose some mail. This a) went on long enough to hit the CFO's mailbox twice and b) went on not long enough to get us to a new fiscal year. Because the fix for this was in a paid update we hadn't budgeted for.

The solution was to upgrade and then run the new version in demo mode, complete with statement to that effect inserted into all outgoing mail, for about three months.

The ad agency wouldn't have had good IT with realistic budgets. With what they got, oh gently caress it was stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Thanatosian posted:

I've only worked at relatively small places, but my solution to the username question has always been to approach the employee and say "we can change your display name and email address no problem; username is a bit of a minefield. We'll do it, just be aware that it can cause some issues that we'll need to work through if we do." Pretty much everyone has been fine with that.

Where I am, it’s a combo of the samaccountname being deeply tied into multiple dependent systems, and also being the user’s login name for everything. Computer at boot. VPN. Everything on or off SSO. For someone who’s got strong feelings about looking at their deadname or ex’s surname multiple times a day, regardless of any external facing aliases...yikes.