Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Impermanent posted:

Motivated more by the novelty of how a system hangs together than any interest in telling a story with it crew
This is a very common trait of critics & heavy consumers of one particular media: They value novelty above all else. Part of the Gamergate backlash was disbelief over professional reviewers giving glowing reviews to walking simulators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Splicer posted:

I'd like a good, crunchy "D&D in space" that's follows the D&D adventure cycle, but in space. Oh no, skeletons robots are attacking your lovely village rundown space habitat, go to their dungeon derelict spaceship to fight robots and slimes space slimes and come out with a magic sword lost tech space blaster. Oh hey we're level three now and have nifty new armour, maybe we should go check out that abandoned village space station we hear spooky noises transmissions from at night.

Ideally with a few different species and some prewritten adventures.

If you want low-effort but has everything you ask... Starfinder.

There's also Stars Without Number which has a free version and is basically Traveller by way of BX DnD.

But like, what are you looking for that's not just setting your existing DnD-alike of choice in space? They even had that in 2e, that's what Spelljammer basically was.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

fool of sound posted:

I'm looking for a system that can facilitate courtly intrigue stuff: the big things I want are solid rules for debates/social confrontations and utilizing connections, but a decent dueling system would be cool too. Sort of an L5R thing except without the baggage of that system and setting. Anyone have any recommendations that aren't FATE?

This covers nearly 100% of the mechanics of The Adventures of Baron Munchausen but I'll be honest, it's a very much a novelty gimmick game, and also I strongly recommend against following the dueling rules.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
At the moment I'm considering using the Dog in the Vineyard core system, since the escalation rules work well for conversation->polite debate->emotional argument->duel, but I definately wouldn't mind something a little more structured.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.

fool of sound posted:

Can Spellbound Kingdoms do stuff outside of its setting? It looks cool at a glance but it seems like it's mechanics are very tightly bound to setting-specific themes.

e: Preferably I want a system where the nobility aren't explicitly villainous like they appear to be in SBK.

I ran a few sessions in a homebrew setting. It's not particularly difficult to change some of the assumptions or reskin the starting backgrounds/races, although if you want to play with the fun "can't die because of love" rules you need to either handwave it away as a genre convention or come up with a good way for society to be structured if you want to have it be a "known fact" within the world without just using the oppressive nobility.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

bewilderment posted:

If you want low-effort but has everything you ask... Starfinder.

Splicer posted:

I'd like a good
Literally the first hurdle dude :(

bewilderment posted:

There's also Stars Without Number which has a free version and is basically Traveller by way of BX DnD.

But like, what are you looking for that's not just setting your existing DnD-alike of choice in space? They even had that in 2e, that's what Spelljammer basically was.
A good, crunchy dungeon crawler that's space themed out of the box. While Spelljammer is literally D&D in space, I'm looking more for D&D-style gameplay, but in space.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

fool of sound posted:

I'm looking for a system that can facilitate courtly intrigue stuff: the big things I want are solid rules for debates/social confrontations and utilizing connections, but a decent dueling system would be cool too. Sort of an L5R thing except without the baggage of that system and setting. Anyone have any recommendations that aren't FATE?

The social rules in Luke Crane's latest, Miseries and Malheureux, set in revolutionary France, has some wildly good ideas. The version of the game he was selling last year is still pretty rough and overall incomplete, but it'll be revised. The conceit that your interlocutor's possible responses are determined by your actions is so drat good. So you can choose to threaten them because your character is good at that, and you are likely to be successful, but if you do then you give them the option to either call your bluff or is cowed and blubbers when they lose.

So the results of "winning" are completely different if you win through threats and insults compared to if you win through flattery and seduction.

And if you pick an incoherent strategy involving flattery and threats, then you will have no idea what the GM will choose if you win. Will they be smitten with you? Cower and blubber? Call your bluff? Who knows!

It's one of those "obvious" things that I have never seen done before. In Burning Wheel's Duel of Wits, you could choose to make logical points and rebuttals or to be dismissive and provoking, but the results of winning were the same: you got your stakes and the opponent did what you wanted them to do.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Splicer posted:

A good, crunchy dungeon crawler that's space themed out of the box. While Spelljammer is literally D&D in space, I'm looking more for D&D-style gameplay, but in space.

I'm still not sure what SWN doesn't get you other than pre-established adventures?

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

fool of sound posted:

You want The Burning Wheel, hands down. It has excellent subsystems for social conflict, networking, and wealth / property, and its main combat system is designed for one-on-one duels with high dramatic stakes. It's also a lifepath-based system with distinct settings for Nobles and the Noble Court, which means it recognizes the important difference between those two, and how they are interconnected and rely on each other.

Even if you end up going with another game, steal the Circles mechanic from BW for your "I need to know a person" needs, it's the best there is.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Kestral posted:

You want The Burning Wheel, hands down. It has excellent subsystems for social conflict, networking, and wealth / property, and its main combat system is designed for one-on-one duels with high dramatic stakes. It's also a lifepath-based system with distinct settings for Nobles and the Noble Court, which means it recognizes the important difference between those two, and how they are interconnected and rely on each other.

Even if you end up going with another game, steal the Circles mechanic from BW for your "I need to know a person" needs, it's the best there is.

The Burning Wheel is cool but I hate the paperwork heavy advancement system. I also recall a fair bit of the math feels... off, with the listed difficulties versus the number of dice you get to throw at things.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

fool of sound posted:

The Burning Wheel is cool but I hate the paperwork heavy advancement system. I also recall a fair bit of the math feels... off, with the listed difficulties versus the number of dice you get to throw at things.

The math isn't off. It just expects players to be using linked rolls, helping, FoRKing, and generally taking every opportunity to stack up dice for significant rolls. Which leads to really rich narrative because in order to do something like forge an excellent sword for the swordfighter, your blacksmith character doesn't just wander into the forge and come out a week later with the job done. She gets help from her apprentice and she uses her wises and the rich and well-connected PC helps her by buying top-notch materials. She also makes sure she and her apprentice do a good job building the forge fire as a linked test.

So it takes some system mastery from the players to be good at scrounging for those extra dice.

If you just try to do a difficult thing with no prep and no backup, you're going to get a twist. Luckily the game is all about failing forward so it'll still progress the plot when you roll bad. You'll mess up either your task or your intent but not both.

The advancement system? Yeah, it's heavy. No doubt.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Seems like you've already got a D&D in space by virtue of having D&D and some basic understanding of space tropes. Sounds to me like the only thing you actually need is some art and some players with medium willingness to buy in.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

fool of sound posted:

Can Spellbound Kingdoms do stuff outside of its setting? It looks cool at a glance but it seems like it's mechanics are very tightly bound to setting-specific themes.

Yes as long as you keep the "can't die if you still care about something" part. I've used it for straight up 7th Sea stuff (which is closer to the default setting) but the fighting styles can all be pretty easily reskinned to samurai stuff.

It even has mass combat rules that don't suck!

Honestly kind of surprised that no one has hacked it to do pseudo-L5R yet.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 16, 2020

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Speaking of Spellbound Kingdoms, it's now 1 year and 1 day since the last update for Spellbound Kingdoms: Arcana.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

dwarf74 posted:

Speaking of Spellbound Kingdoms, it's now 1 year and 1 day since the last update for Spellbound Kingdoms: Arcana.

My unsupported assumption at this point is that he just outright ran through the money and is laying low to avoid refunds. Kind of lovely, but I'm not about to raise hell about a schoolteacher running into financial trouble.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

CitizenKeen posted:

I'm still not sure what SWN doesn't get you other than pre-established adventures?
It's got a lot of the stuff I consider useless D&D cruft still attached and missing a lot of the stuff I consider key to the D&D experience. Because I have

Splicer posted:

very specific ideas of what they want out of D&D
Seriously it's got a str/con split, rolled stats as the first presented option, combat/noncombat feats as a shared pool, and the classes are explicitly fighty class/non fighty class/get to do cool things class/joat. It's like it was designed to annoy me personally

e: I'm sure it's an excellent example of what it is, but what it is is the exact opposite of what I like in D&D

Splicer fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 16, 2020

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Haystack posted:

My unsupported assumption at this point is that he just outright ran through the money and is laying low to avoid refunds. Kind of lovely, but I'm not about to raise hell about a schoolteacher running into financial trouble.
Yeah I'm not much of a refund-demander, but it's soured me on trying out the core system at all, I must admit.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hi folks, in case anyone missed the announcement, I've been volunteered to be an Idiot King for TG. I hope not too many of you are horrified by this development.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I like that a lot.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I promise to use my powers for neutral

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

neutral, unaligned, or 1e style True Neutral where you'll do one really evil thing and then one really good thing to make up for it?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Leperflesh posted:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Arivia posted:

neutral, unaligned, or 1e style True Neutral where you'll do one really evil thing and then one really good thing to make up for it?

Roll for neutrality: 1=neutral, 2=unaligned, 3=1e style True Neutral: 1d3 2

unaligned

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Leperflesh posted:

Hi folks, in case anyone missed the announcement, I've been volunteered to be an Idiot King for TG. I hope not too many of you are horrified by this development.
Your cat is my cat's twin.

That makes it good.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I would see these cats and judge for myself.

Actually I just like to see people's pets.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Jimbozig posted:

Luke Crane... revolutionary France

Oh, good Christ.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

grassy gnoll posted:

Oh, good Christ.
Probably not the revolution you're thinking. I wasn't being specific enough about what revolution. It's 1648, the Fronde.

Also, I inadvertently mislabeled it. "Miseries and Misfortunes: Les Fruits Malheureux" is the proper title.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Midgetskydiver posted:

Something else I've noticed about most "system critics" is that in general, they also seem to have a pretty constant desire to try new things and experiment with new mechanics. So even if you somehow hit the bullseye and came up with a D&D But Good that appealed to a majority of these people, they'd likely lose interest pretty soon because they aren't the type to be loyal to a system to begin with. And I am definitely one of these people by the way.

this is a good thing

movies take years to produce and most people only watch them once, and occasionally revisit the ones they really adore. this doesn't lead the death of cinema. it doesn't lead to a shallow appreciation of the art form. if anything breadth of experience is essential to pushing the medium forward.

the desire to capture an audience and hold them hostage indefinitely is far weirder and more dysfunctional than the model you're describing

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Jimbozig posted:

Probably not the revolution you're thinking. I wasn't being specific enough about what revolution. It's 1648, the Fronde.

Also, I inadvertently mislabeled it. "Miseries and Misfortunes: Les Fruits Malheureux" is the proper title.

I suppose that's preferable in the grand scheme of things, but I'm still not comfortable with the Ye Magickal Realme taking on any kind of historical setting.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Has Luke Crane done something questionable in regards to Revolutionary French politics or something that I'm not aware?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
"Why should creators bother to make a good game, where the rules actually shape the experience towards the desired outcome, if players are only going to play one campaign and then forget about it?" is just "GM will fix it" in a fancy wrapper.

Like, do it out of pride in your craft. Do it because the game you personally want to play does not exist.

I would even grudgingly accept "do it because it'll help develop a deeply loyal core fanbase, which has more of a tail than hyping up trash to take advantage of unsophisticated buyers."

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Splicer posted:

It's got a lot of the stuff I consider useless D&D cruft still attached and missing a lot of the stuff I consider key to the D&D experience. Because I have

Seriously it's got a str/con split, rolled stats as the first presented option, combat/noncombat feats as a shared pool, and the classes are explicitly fighty class/non fighty class/get to do cool things class/joat. It's like it was designed to annoy me personally

e: I'm sure it's an excellent example of what it is, but what it is is the exact opposite of what I like in D&D

Absolutely fair. I didn't pick up on that from your original post.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Xiahou Dun posted:

Has Luke Crane done something questionable in regards to Revolutionary French politics or something that I'm not aware?

I think it's just a general expectation that someone who did their Kickstarter in obnoxious wizard-speak is going to have some hot takes on the French Revolution.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The Fronde is honestly a cooler setting than the French Revolution. Side with either your genius King who's also an absolutist or with the feudal nobility that's defending their interests.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

My girlfriend is going to spend some time next week teaching her 10yo kid (and perhaps also my 12yo) to play RPGs. What systems should she be looking at? I’m steering her hard away from D&D, but need to steer her towards something suitable I think.

Current thoughts:
- FATE
- Hero Kids
- Fellowship
- Rifts (she played it ages ago, I think it’s too fiddly)
- The Bureau (some X-Files-for-kids World of Dungeons variant)
- Strike! (she may end up wanting “D&D-like” combat)
- Ironsworn (for good 2-player play)
- Leverage?
- Scum & Villainy? (the core FitD might be hard to get the kids sorted with, though)

Ideas?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Subjunctive posted:

My girlfriend is going to spend some time next week teaching her 10yo kid (and perhaps also my 12yo) to play RPGs. What systems should she be looking at? I’m steering her hard away from D&D, but need to steer her towards something suitable I think.

Current thoughts:
- FATE
- Hero Kids
- Fellowship
- Rifts (she played it ages ago, I think it’s too fiddly)
- The Bureau (some X-Files-for-kids World of Dungeons variant)
- Strike! (she may end up wanting “D&D-like” combat)
- Ironsworn (for good 2-player play)
- Leverage?
- Scum & Villainy? (the core FitD might be hard to get the kids sorted with, though)

Ideas?

What are the kids interested in? Something like Quest or Dungeon World might make sense if they've vaguely heard of d&d and are interested without getting caught up in the parts that make d&d a lovely game, even if they don't appeal to folks who really want more.
Also depends on what the kids like for settings
Like if superheroes are their jam, giant robots, or if they really want the d&d tropes.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Coolness Averted posted:

What are the kids interested in? Something like Quest or Dungeon World might make sense if they've vaguely heard of d&d and are interested without getting caught up in the parts that make d&d a lovely game, even if they don't appeal to folks who really want more.
Also depends on what the kids like for settings
Like if superheroes are their jam, giant robots, or if they really want the d&d tropes.

Quest was mentioned as I was posting, in fact.

They like detailed character creation, much of which I think can be satisfied with backstory authoring as long as the system is flexible enough to let some elements of their personal fiction have mechanical weight. I think they want to roll to hit stuff and do damage, but I don’t think they’re really tied to detailed equipment differences and AC and such.

Elves-and-wizards fantasy is generally a hit, but I’ve also played a bit of more mystic freeform fantasy with them, in the form of “Do, the Flying Temple” and they seemed into that.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think it's just a general expectation that someone who did their Kickstarter in obnoxious wizard-speak is going to have some hot takes on the French Revolution.

I mean, the dude is a gigantic French history nerd. Burning Wheel was at least as inspired by Barbara Tuchman's A Distant Mirror as it was by Tolkien. The orcs and elves are just more obvious than the details of the lifepaths.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

O okay. I actually, personally, like the wizard-speak but this might be a vindaloo vs. cheeseburger situation where it's just preference.

I find it flavorful and evocative and sometimes gives rules advice, but I know lots of other people hate is so you do you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

CitizenKeen posted:

Absolutely fair. I didn't pick up on that from your original post.
Don't worry you didn't miss something, I didn't really say it anywhere. I should really have emphasised I meant 3.x+ style D&D, but in space