Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Grimthwacker posted:

Are medals in Halo 3 multi not working right now? Because I just had a few matches where I was pretty sure I'd be credited with assists but didn't get any.

It's going to take a bit for my H3 multi skills to come back. I almost remember the layouts of some of the maps. Valhalla in particular came back to me quickly, because I recall not liking it that much.

I was noticing that I wasn't getting dick for assist medals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

I think the new CE graphics are generally nice with the exception of some spots where I think they went overboard trying to make it feel "Halo-y". On the other hand, I think the H2A graphics are brilliant and very much nailed "what the game looked like in my head with nostalgia" kind of thing.

Also, something I've been wondering about since Halo 2 came out -- at the end of The Arbiter you do that Banshee chase and the original music was part of an Incubus instrumental bit. The track is supposed to have a vocal repetition of the word "Follow" but instead of vocals it's weirdly buzzy and distorted. Is there a reason for this? Was it just that Marty was mad that MS made them put in licensed music or something?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

JerikTelorian posted:

I think the new CE graphics are generally nice with the exception of some spots where I think they went overboard trying to make it feel "Halo-y". On the other hand, I think the H2A graphics are brilliant and very much nailed "what the game looked like in my head with nostalgia" kind of thing.

Also, something I've been wondering about since Halo 2 came out -- at the end of The Arbiter you do that Banshee chase and the original music was part of an Incubus instrumental bit. The track is supposed to have a vocal repetition of the word "Follow" but instead of vocals it's weirdly buzzy and distorted. Is there a reason for this? Was it just that Marty was mad that MS made them put in licensed music or something?

The ingame Incubus track is just an instrumental, same as the Breaking Benjamin track in Gravemind. The vocal versions were included on the Soundtrack CDs.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

welp, the matchmaking for the game is somehow broken in such a way that my roommate and i can't play together. every time the game starts loading he just disconnects. no idea what the gently caress the problem could be since we're both connected to the same wifi router

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
General question for people concerning Chief and Cortana. How do you view their relationship? Do you see it more as a romantic thing, or as a brother/sister dynamic, or as two best friends? And of those, what do you think works best for the characters?

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
SO I reloaded the Game Pass version of MCC and it doesn't seem to include Reach, when I try to launch it the client claims I need to still DL it but it doesn't actually do anything. Is it just broken?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Dreadwroth2 posted:

SO I reloaded the Game Pass version of MCC and it doesn't seem to include Reach, when I try to launch it the client claims I need to still DL it but it doesn't actually do anything. Is it just broken?
Sometimes it can get a little weird. Check the Installed Games section of the options menu to make sure the game is downloaded and installed. If it is but it has a lock on it, try and launch that game's campaign and you'll get a pop-up asking if you want to install or whatever. Say yes and Game Pass will download whatever DLC token the game needs and unlock it a few seconds later.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Ohhhhh ok.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

General question for people concerning Chief and Cortana. How do you view their relationship? Do you see it more as a romantic thing, or as a brother/sister dynamic, or as two best friends? And of those, what do you think works best for the characters?

Cortana is the only sentient thing to ever treat John like a person, instead of a tool / something to be feared. Even Halsey never actually gives a poo poo about him. I don't know how you label such a relationship but that's why he cares so deeply about her.

I'm sure there is lots of awful and :stare: worthy fanfic though that paints the relationship in a decidedly different light...

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

You are literally her knight in shining armor imo.
edit: *runs back into thread* CORTANA IS THE E-GIRL CHIEF SIMPS FOR!

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 17, 2020

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

i vomit kittens posted:

welp, the matchmaking for the game is somehow broken in such a way that my roommate and i can't play together. every time the game starts loading he just disconnects. no idea what the gently caress the problem could be since we're both connected to the same wifi router

This is a problem that's apparently happened with MCC since the beginning launch on xbox, basically the matchmaking doesn't allow for two people on the same network on different PCs/consoles to play together by default. It's dumb as poo poo but my brother and I found a workaround back in December. I just don't remember the full details but it was something with Windows network settings if I remember correctly.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm a couple of missions into Halo 1, and I quite like it! In fact, I like it much more than I even thought I would. Everything about it feels good and smooth and fluid. And it's fast (relatively) and I like that to.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

JerikTelorian posted:

Any level which is Forerunner design heavy, I stick to the old graphics. Not really a fan of the neon lighting everywhere.

But the Human/Covenant ship levels look really good on the new graphics IMO.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

I'm trying to play Halo CE on PC, and I'm having a lot of trouble. It seems like the game isn't properly registering held buttons? Can't pick up weapons, and switching weapons is finicky and often won't work. Anyone have this before?

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Roluth posted:

I'm trying to play Halo CE on PC, and I'm having a lot of trouble. It seems like the game isn't properly registering held buttons? Can't pick up weapons, and switching weapons is finicky and often won't work. Anyone have this before?

Are you using controller? I played with M/KB and did not experience any obvious input issues.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Are you using controller? I played with M/KB and did not experience any obvious input issues.

Found a page on the support site that says it's a Windows issue with 1903. Just patched it, hopefully it works.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Cortana is the only sentient thing to ever treat John like a person, instead of a tool / something to be feared. Even Halsey never actually gives a poo poo about him. I don't know how you label such a relationship but that's why he cares so deeply about her.

I'm sure there is lots of awful and :stare: worthy fanfic though that paints the relationship in a decidedly different light...

I always thought of the relationship as almost entirely nonromantic except for playful jabs at each other. John has been through so much modification, but shes the closest hes known to a kindred spirit or real friend.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He definitely has other friendships though. His closest friend before Cortana was Kelly and Blue Team has basically been his family for forty years.

But none of those relationships have ever been as personal as having someone living in your head. The difference between his relationship with Blue Team and with Cortana is in context. Blue Team are definitely close family, but their dynamic has been military focused their entire lives, which keeps them from really becoming as close outside of battlefield conditions. Cortana is different because she and Chief pretty much spent months in extreme proximity to one another both in and out of combat. To me it seems like a very intertwined brother and sister relationship because they're both the offspring of Halsey but represent different aspects of her. Chief the perfect soldier and Cortana the perfect scientist, both created from the same mind but allowed to grow into their own being.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

While we're talking about stupid Halo things, apparently "hyper lethal" is the actual designation for Master Chief and Noble 6 in universe, which leads me to believe that there's also the lesser designations of "mega lethal", "super lethal", "adequately lethal" and "non-lethal".

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Yep, updating Windows fixed the weird behavior I was having. Huh, how would that fix anything?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

RBA Starblade posted:

While we're talking about stupid Halo things, apparently "hyper lethal" is the actual designation for Master Chief and Noble 6 in universe, which leads me to believe that there's also the lesser designations of "mega lethal", "super lethal", "adequately lethal" and "non-lethal".

Why not? Its a franchise where the aliens refer to themselves by their enemy class names rather than their own languages. Mainly because when they use their actual languages it somehow sounds even sillier.

Having a mega lethal Hunter and a non lethal grunt would be funny

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jul 18, 2020

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

You could probably just do the navy seal copypasta with all that bullshit included

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What the gently caress did you say to me you little grunt?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

What the gently caress did you say to me you little grunt?

:discourse:

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

so after actually playing some more of the matchmaking instead of campaign/customs, the hit reg in this game is comically bad. like, so much so that getting in a firefight with someone feels more like a game of chance on whose shots are going to get picked by the server than anything. 343 is apparently claiming that the original game was like this as well which really just... doesn't seem accurate? i have a very hard time believing that something this terrible would be one of the most played FPS on the 360.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Yeah, there's no way the hit reg was this bad on 360. Its just off. Something isn't right. It seems most egregious in snipers, but I was never this bad a shot with the BR, either.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I heard the Halo 3 MCC release on xbox has the bad hit reg, so maybe that's what they're talking about when the say the original had it

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

i vomit kittens posted:

so after actually playing some more of the matchmaking instead of campaign/customs, the hit reg in this game is comically bad. like, so much so that getting in a firefight with someone feels more like a game of chance on whose shots are going to get picked by the server than anything. 343 is apparently claiming that the original game was like this as well which really just... doesn't seem accurate? i have a very hard time believing that something this terrible would be one of the most played FPS on the 360.

Halo 3’s hit registration is also notoriously not great but yeah, it’s significantly worse on MCC. I think it doesn’t help that the BR infamously has random bullet spread so it’s designed to not be consistent before netcode even takes effect.

I’ve definitely personally noticed it, especially at long distances, but honestly if you gave me the choice of this or Reach DMRs I’ll take not dying across the map every single time.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

From reading some of the things posted on the change logs, it looks like they know what is going wrong and have a general idea of how to fix it, but they have to wade through years old netcode to fix it. So, who knows when that is getting fixed.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

I think its kinda eh a lot of the time. Its very shallow in the games until Halo 3, and then it has some issues. Your fun sassy partner who provides the fun one liners in your head? She's now an abuse victim (and it gets worse if you hit a certain audio trigger on the "Cortana" mission.) But then you save her and its back to normal.

https://haruspis.blog/2017/03/26/why-halo-3-didnt-finish-the-fight/

About a quarter of the way through this they talk about Cortana's part in the game and I agree with what they say.

It will also forever be cringe inducing to me that the Halo 4 lead said the Cortana rampancy stuff was directly influenced by his relationship with his mother through her dementia... and then the art department sexed up her appearance more than ever before. That said, I feel Halo 4 retroactively changed how everybody feels about Chief and Cortana because it played it a lot more seriously. No more teleporting Chief upside down, no more "You look nice" or "sorry, were you trying to shoot something?" It works for that story and its written quite well, but it isn't really reflected in the original trilogy- her quote about not being sure which one of them is the machine rings true and it really reflects the best part of Halo 4s narrative, but its not something I could imagine her saying in 1-3.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Roluth posted:

From reading some of the things posted on the change logs, it looks like they know what is going wrong and have a general idea of how to fix it, but they have to wade through years old netcode to fix it. So, who knows when that is getting fixed.
For reference, the technical details are here (scroll down to "Swing and a Miss").

TLDR; There's a bug in the original Halo 3 netcode where under certain circumstances, bullets perform their per-frame movement twice on the first frame of their existence (presumably causing them to pass through their target?). This was exacerbated by increasing the framerate and host tickrate to 60fps for MCC. There are also various other structural issues with the old Halo 3 netcode that Bungie fixed via restructuring in Reach, that can result in things like bad auto-aim information or grenades/equipment being used more than once. This'll take a minute to fix because it's gonna involve moving a lot of deck chairs around.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Arcsquad12 posted:

He definitely has other friendships though. His closest friend before Cortana was Kelly and Blue Team has basically been his family for forty years.

But none of those relationships have ever been as personal as having someone living in your head. The difference between his relationship with Blue Team and with Cortana is in context. Blue Team are definitely close family, but their dynamic has been military focused their entire lives, which keeps them from really becoming as close outside of battlefield conditions. Cortana is different because she and Chief pretty much spent months in extreme proximity to one another both in and out of combat. To me it seems like a very intertwined brother and sister relationship because they're both the offspring of Halsey but represent different aspects of her. Chief the perfect soldier and Cortana the perfect scientist, both created from the same mind but allowed to grow into their own being.

Nah Cortana is a sexy robot version of his mom. Because of the decades of psychological trauma and abuse turning him into an unfeeling emotionless killer it only makes sense he'd fall in love with a robot version of his mom.

John is Norman Bates but instead of killing randos he's killing rebels and aliens and is constantly being praised and rewarded for horrific violence. Plus, instead of psychosis, he literally has a copy of his mom telling him what to do!

jokes fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jul 18, 2020

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

jokes posted:

Nah Cortana is a sexy robot version of his mom. Because of the decades of psychological trauma and abuse turning him into an unfeeling emotionless killer it only makes sense he'd fall in love with a robot version of his mom.

John is Norman Bates but instead of killing randos he's killing rebels and aliens and is constantly being praised and rewarded for horrific violence. Plus, instead of psychosis, he literally has a copy of his mom telling him what to do!

It's freud all the way down

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
I finally drove an anti-air wraith for the first time :syoon:

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Mazerunner posted:

I finally drove an anti-air wraith for the first time :syoon:

Those things are a major annoyance to get a hold of; nice work!

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Was playing H2A with a non-Halo fan earlier and he thought that some of the music, while gorgeous, seems thematically out of place for slaughtering thousands of sentient beings.

Like the tank bit in Delta Halo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5jPy-GmyUc

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

What’s the gooncensus on using mouse/keyboard vs controller? I’m primarily a mouse keyboard guy, but I have a controller and like to lean back and play some games. Doom 2016 plays really well with both.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

chaosapiant posted:

What’s the gooncensus on using mouse/keyboard vs controller? I’m primarily a mouse keyboard guy, but I have a controller and like to lean back and play some games. Doom 2016 plays really well with both.
I mean, the Halo games were made for consoles, so they'll be just fine with a gamepad. You'll probably be at a disadvantage in multiplayer against KB+M players, though, at least until they add input filters to matchmaking.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

M&K causes the hit detection to gently caress up for some reason. Controller is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Ok cool; I’m not even interested in multi, but can switch back to K&B easily enough if I were. Thanks!