Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

TheLoquid posted:

I should recommend The Canon Ball, which is a read through of Harold Bloom's list of books in the western canon. There is quite a bit of content by this point - episodes usually run 1-2 hours - though the nature of the project requires fairly long breaks between podcasts. The hosts use the expert + everyman approach, with one host being a literature phd (I think), while the other is an enthusiastic layperson (who was also one of the original Lesser Bonapartes hosts actually). I think they generally do a good job analyzing the books and setting them in their historic context, though there are times where they are obviously struggling to get through an uninteresting work. Would recommend if you're looking for a high brow but still accessible podcast.

re: Totalus Rankium, I think they generally do a pretty good job handling highly loaded topics with care. They come across as mostly left-leaning liberals, and their analysis tends to be straightforward mainstream history that plays around with great man history.

I really enjoyed Bloom's crit when I was in college and he was kind of the big voice when it came to post45 American lit so I'll check this out, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/HardcoreHistory/status/1280562102407553026

https://twitter.com/HardcoreHistory/status/1280562808539631621

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Yeah, just saw that. Looking forward to it.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Hanks episode just dropped

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I don't see it anywhere?

I've been assuming it's about the mighty eighth, is that correct?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
It's up on Carlin's YT channel

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I downloaded it fine from the RSS, maybe he pulled it to correct an audio issue

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Digital Jedi posted:

Hanks episode just dropped

I liked it. Tom Hanks is irrepressibly affable and it's a big shift from the stuffy academics Carlin tends to talk to, not that those aren't interesting. One thing though, Tom Hanks sounds a lot like Norm Macdonald at times. At least I thought so.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Hanks also did Conan's podcast and that one's also a fun listen. Conan's a history buff as well, so there is some of that there also.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Does anyone know of a podcast that would give good insight into what peasant life in the 16th-18th century would look like in Europe? Ideally (pre-Revolution) France but I'm not picky.

UncleButts
Sep 25, 2003

pure of heart
dumb of ass
Tides of History has a lot of on-the-ground early modern (15th-16th) century Western Europe content in general, I *feel* like there's got to be some France in there

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

UncleButts posted:

Tides of History has a lot of on-the-ground early modern (15th-16th) century Western Europe content in general, I *feel* like there's got to be some France in there

Not a lot.

OP could try the 1492 tour of Europe episode: https://art19.com/shows/tides-of-history/episodes/941d0c03-b01c-44dd-9f52-882def7bb516

Or see if Mike Duncan's Revolutions Podcast has anything useful from just before the Revolution: https://www.revolutionspodcast.com/2014/07/31-the-three-estates-.html

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Prehistoric Tides of History started off strong I felt, there's even some "hot off the presses" palaeonthology with information extracted from Homo Heidelbergensis teeth which is completely new. One thing that stuck out to me is that according to Wyman Neanderthals actually had art; they both painted cave walls and wore bone and feather ornaments, he even says there's a high chance they ritually buried people. This goes against what I thought, which is that whether or not Neanderthals had these things was hotly deabted. That might just me having outdated information. If so that's incredibly cool.

Another cool thing: DNA from the famous Denisovan finger bone showed that the little girl it had belonged to had ancestry from a completely separate species of human, more closely related to us than Denisovans and Neanderthals, which we have no other evidence of! And another Denisovan fossil was found to be a Denisovan/Neanderthal hybrid! Apparently several populations of human in various places may have interbred with other unknown human species in the past too? Incredibly exciting stuff.

Grevling fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jul 12, 2020

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Hot tip, thanks! Been looking for more prehistory material and had unsubscribed from Tides a while back. Excited to listen.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Grevling posted:

Prehistoric Tides of History started off strong I felt, there's even some "hot off the presses" palaeonthology with information extracted from Homo Heidelbergensis teeth which is completely new. One thing that stuck out to me is that according to Wyman Neanderthals actually had art; they both painted cave walls and wore bone and feather ornaments, he even says there's a high chance they ritually buried people. This goes against what I thought, which is that whether or not Neanderthals had these things was hotly deabted. That might just me having outdated information. If so that's incredibly cool.

Another cool thing: DNA from the famous Denisovan finger bone showed that the little girl it had belonged to had ancestry from a completely separate species of human, more closely related to us than Denisovans and Neanderthals, which we have no other evidence of! And another Denisovan fossil was found to be a Denisovan/Neanderthal hybrid! Apparently several populations of human in various places may have interbred with other unknown human species in the past too? Incredibly exciting stuff.

I like the idea of a bunch of pre-historic hominids running around and interacting/competing with each other. Must have been a wild time.

And fake edit now that I look it up, wiki is telling me Neanderthals only went extinct 40k years ago?! Man that's nothing. I should get on this prehistory topic more, its super interesting.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The problem with prehistory is that (as is mentioned in the new Tides intro) our understanding of it is changing so rapidly at the moment that anything from more than a few years ago is going to be pretty outdated.

I think I talked about this a few pages back, but YouTube has some really great prehistory content that's up-to-date. Eons has some good stuff mixed in with its animal content, and Stefan Milo covers a broad range of really interesting prehistory topics.

e: Here's a video about how much humans loved fuckin' everything that kinda looked like us. Here's another one. And while we're here, this is a video about a bunch of good boys.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jul 12, 2020

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Count Roland posted:

I like the idea of a bunch of pre-historic hominids running around and interacting/competing with each other. Must have been a wild time.

And fake edit now that I look it up, wiki is telling me Neanderthals only went extinct 40k years ago?! Man that's nothing. I should get on this prehistory topic more, its super interesting.

I wonder if ancient hominids even considered each other different enough to make the differentiation? If they could communicate and breed, whose to say they didn't form communities together? Probably no way of knowing though.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

VanSandman posted:

I wonder if ancient hominids even considered each other different enough to make the differentiation? If they could communicate and breed, whose to say they didn't form communities together? Probably no way of knowing though.

Considering that modern humans often treat neighbouring people's with only minor differences as sub-human I suspect the differentiation was pretty apparent.

And you could find evidence for cooperation. Say burials that had humans and neanderthals in close proximity. I believe there's already genetic evidence of interbreeding which uh is a sort of cooperation I guess.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Count Roland posted:

I believe there's already genetic evidence of interbreeding which uh is a sort of cooperation I guess.

Not necessarily, rape was probably as extremely common then as it was in other periods of history

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

AnEdgelord posted:

Not necessarily, rape was probably as extremely common then as it was in other periods of history

Yeah hence my qualified "uh" in there. If the half-breed child is raised by its community you could see this as a form of the two species interacting, even if the initiation was violent.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

According to the podcast Neanderthals had sharp, nasal and very loud voices. I remember seeing a clip of a "reconstruction" from a BBC documentary which sounded very unpleasant. That's one thing that might have made living alongside Neanderthals less than desirable for homo sapiens. On the other hand, since we know that hybrids themselves had offspring and contributed to our genetic makeup, maybe that could indicate that they didn't necessarily face discrimination?

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Grevling posted:

According to the podcast Neanderthals had sharp, nasal and very loud voices. I remember seeing a clip of a "reconstruction" from a BBC documentary which sounded very unpleasant. That's one thing that might have made living alongside Neanderthals less than desirable for homo sapiens. On the other hand, since we know that hybrids themselves had offspring and contributed to our genetic makeup, maybe that could indicate that they didn't necessarily face discrimination?

I remembered that documentary as well and I'm laughing once again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o589CAu73UM

And just for kicks I also saw a Mummy sound today
https://twitter.com/killola/status/1282554937746980865

Quixotic1 fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jul 14, 2020

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

Quixotic1 posted:

I remembered that documentary as well and I'm laughing once again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o589CAu73UM

drat, good thing these goobers got wiped out.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

UncleButts posted:

Is this a good podcast in general (not just this episode)? Sounds like it could be interesting.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

kanonvandekempen posted:

Is this a good podcast in general (not just this episode)? Sounds like it could be interesting.

Yes, it is. You'll want to go back a while because now he's pivoting to prehistory.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Karenderthals

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Fall of Civilizations has a new 3.5 hour episode on the Byzantines.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I'm looking for suggestions for news/analysis podcasts.

Basically I have a 20 or 30 mins in the morning while I'm cooking eating breakfast, showering etc in which I can listen but not read stuff.

Sometimes I listen to local or national radio, and sometimes podcasts from The Economist. Newsy sort of stuff, but not necessarily a roundup of the day's headlines. I'm trying The Daily from NYT but it isn't going well so far. It needn't be daily, as I vary what I listen to.

How do you guys listen to current events?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Either The Weeds or Today Explained, depending on whether you want a technocratic deep-dive on an issue that may or may not be in the news at that moment (ex: gentrification) or a less in depth but still substantive examination of one item in the news.

Edit: current episode The Weeds is about covid and reopening schools, current Today Explained is examining what happened in California regarding covid

Edit2: I use the BBC world service for regular old "brushing my teeth, what happened this morning" news. I rarely finish an episode, but they provide their headlines in like 30 seconds.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 16, 2020

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Count Roland posted:

I'm looking for suggestions for news/analysis podcasts.

Basically I have a 20 or 30 mins in the morning while I'm cooking eating breakfast, showering etc in which I can listen but not read stuff.

Sometimes I listen to local or national radio, and sometimes podcasts from The Economist. Newsy sort of stuff, but not necessarily a roundup of the day's headlines. I'm trying The Daily from NYT but it isn't going well so far. It needn't be daily, as I vary what I listen to.

How do you guys listen to current events?

Economic Update and IPS News' Voices from the Global South

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
The Weeds is a great podcast if you enjoy hearing Matt Yglesias smash through the wall like the kool aid man stuttering “I, I, I,” literally every time anyone else tries to talk.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Matthew Yglesias needs a swirlie

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Kazak_Hstan posted:

The Weeds is a great podcast if you enjoy hearing Matt Yglesias smash through the wall like the kool aid man stuttering “I, I, I,” literally every time anyone else tries to talk.

I'll still give it a try but no this isn't my idea of a good time.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've heard him do that sometimes, yeah; my defense of Matt Yglesias would be that he's insightful. I listened to the "School's out for Covid" episode this morning and there's his bit starting at about 28:00, about the tension between teacher's unions and teachers, and their differing goals regarding Covid. If you're going to give that one episode a go, you'll also see he doesn't steal the limelight from his coworkers, I think he's gotten better about it over the years.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Ibblebibble posted:

Fall of Civilizations has a new 3.5 hour episode on the Byzantines.

:woop:

Love Fall of Civilizations so loving much and I've been trying to get more into the Byzantines, this might be a good way to introduce myself to the subject matter of the History of Byzantium podcast (because as-is I get a massive case of impostor syndrome listening to it, like: I half-remember some of the names and concepts and poo poo but system mastery escapes me).

E: The recommended introductory playlist the HoB host gives at the start is legitimately good and useful, it's just that I'm an literal :saddowns: on the Byzantines at this point?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jul 17, 2020

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Jack B Nimble posted:

I've heard him do that sometimes, yeah; my defense of Matt Yglesias would be that he's insightful.

I have to be honest, solely from reading what he writes on Twitter I have a hard time believing this. The guy not only seems dumb, but completely lacking any introspective quality. Only a couple weeks ago he was making grand pronouncements on medieval history based on some book he read for fun and wondering why no one taught this and got dogpiled by historians.

From another viewpoint, Yglesias started his "journalistic" career by supporting the Iraq War and Mitt Romney and has kept failing upwards since. But I guess coming from a rich and well-connected family helps in that regard.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I don't read twitter and only know of the guy from this podcast, and judging him from that he seems good. He's literally a professional hot taker, and a lot of people pop off on poo poo outside of their expertise, so he totally could be one of them, but The Weeds has always had two or three people on it, so it's not a personal soap box for lovely takes the way twitter seems to be.

I don't want to have to defend everything a guy does just because he participates in a round table podcast I like and makes good points there, I dunno what else he gets up to, but I don't think "posts dumb poo poo" is an unforgivable sin.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jul 17, 2020

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Lol nobody’s got to defend anyone in order to justify liking a podcast. Liking the weeds is fine! Liking pretty much any podcast is fine!

I just think Matty sucks!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Thanks, sorry if I got defensive, the weeds was one of the first podcasts I heard, along with History of Rome and The Dollop, and I'm not entirely unbiased when they come up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

The Facebook group for The Weeds is absolutely terrible, regardless of your feelings on the podcast and its hosts.