Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
"AmpSquad" sounds like a 80s Saturday Morning Cartoon revolving around a crime-fighting heavy metal band.

"Oh no, the Square Brigade trashed our tour van!" :bandwagon:

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"AmpSquad" sounds like a 80s Saturday Morning Cartoon.

"Oh no, the Square Brigade trashed our tour van!" :bandwagon:

I was just about to say "AmphSquad 3" sounds like a short-lived 70's spy show. :v:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Hekk posted:

Why does the Navy take the middle of words and make portmanteaus out of them (AmPHIBious SquadRON) instead of using initialisms or acronyms like the rest of the military?

It must be my Navy brat brain worms kicking in but I don't see the issue here. PhibRon makes perfect sense.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mine was really fun

COMmander, PATrol and RECONnaissance WING ONE/Commander, Task Force 57/72 (before it was split)

so that is COMPATRECONWING ONE/CTF 57/72 (dual hat)

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

orange juche posted:

Mine was really fun

COMmander, PATrol and RECONnaissance WING ONE/Commander, Task Force 57/72 (before it was split)

so that is COMPATRECONWING ONE/CTF 57/72 (dual hat)

I was in MARine ReCRUIT DETachment

MARCRUITDET

Yeah. That was weird to have on a rocker. Everyone I met when I wore it was like wtf does that even say...? I don't know.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Ever since I saw TACTRAGRULANT I like to pronounce it tac-TRAG-rulant, rhyming with "petulant".

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

COMHELTRAWINGLANT

I saw that on the side of a building in Norfolk and it took a few seconds to parse. I wanted an "ULTRAWING" or something.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Ever since I saw TACTRAGRULANT I like to pronounce it tac-TRAG-rulant, rhyming with "petulant".

That's my favorite that I've seen in the real world. There were some good ones I got from Clancy books 25 years ago, but can't remember.

I was slightly disappointed that NAWDC doesn't go by NAVAVFIVELTER or something.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

SPAWAR sounds like a relaxing way to war

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

DEEP TISSUE, THIS IS SWEDISH, REQUEST HOT TOWELS. CONCENTRATION X-RAY LIMA ONE FIVE FIVE TWO. TENSION KNOT RIGHT LEVATOR SCAPULAE. PRESSURE. COME LEFT. PRESSURE. POUR IT ON.

DEEP TISSUE, THIS IS SWEDISH, THAT GOT IT, CEASE PRESSURE. CEASE PRESSURE.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Wingnut Ninja posted:

:black101:
Dead I am the one, exterminatin' son
Slippin' through the trees, stranglin' the breeze
Dead I am the sky, watchin' angels cry
While they slowly turn, conquering the worm

Dig through the ditches
And burn through the witches
I slam in the back of TACtragruLANT!
:black101:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I was just about to say "AmphSquad 3" sounds like a short-lived 70's spy show. :v:

AmphSquad3 sounds like a TCC offsite

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

Ah, now I see what they were doing in my paint hangar.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

No big surprise on my side but we just found out our liberty came with a caveat. "Must be tested covid free before being able to go on liberty". Only place we can get a test is in Naples so no Greece for us. Also I extended until January. meh

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

The SPAWAR (now NIWC) guys I work with are very adamant that it is SPA as in Space, not SPA as in SPA.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

PneumonicBook posted:

The SPAWAR (now NIWC) guys I work with are very adamant that it is SPA as in Space, not SPA as in SPA.

They get so mad about that if you pronounce it like the place you go to get a massage.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

orange juche posted:

They get so mad about that if you pronounce it like the place you go to get a massage.

In their defense, the majority of my dealings with SPAWAR were exactly the opposite of relaxing or restorative. It's important people aren't confused.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Sounds like the BHR list has worsened and firefighters aboard have been pulled out.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Madurai posted:

Sounds like the BHR list has worsened and firefighters aboard have been pulled out.

Where's the best source of updates right now?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Madurai posted:

The list shifted from starboard to port, and I suspect it was sudden and unexpected. DC teams are back aboard now though.

King of Bees posted:

The CNSP Facebook page I think. Search "Surface Warriors" on Facebook.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

King of Bees posted:

https://twitter.com/mercoglianos
https://twitter.com/CavasShips

They've both been pretty good at aggregating useful info that comes out, but I don't think the Navy has really given us much the last two days.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Unrelated: CIWS radomes are gray now? When did that start?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/LucasFoxNews/status/1283854545693675520?s=20

Crabdad better be working on his DCPO quals. Then again I don't know how that maintenance works on a USNS

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Nick Soapdish posted:

Crabdad better be working on his DCPO quals. Then again I don't know how that maintenance works on a USNS

DCPO: The Art of Not Getting hosed By a Spot Check

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
Past SECDEFs ought to take some chunks of the Bonhomme Richard and make a desk for Trump.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nick Soapdish posted:

We so short on civilians for the FC/DC duties I volunteered and got kits for both DC1 and DC2. We've been doing training daily and suiting out a few times week. The wanted us to suit out in 3 minutes due to the ship being aluminum.

I'm gonna die if this ship catches on fire.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
if you get to do real jp-5 fire sim trainers or using a real hose its pretty bad rear end

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

ded posted:

if you get to do real jp-5 fire sim trainers or using a real hose its pretty bad rear end

We've broken out the hoses twice a week for the last two weeks. Today we used the inductor and some of the various special nozzles for creating a fog wall and spiking through the aluminum decks. Sadly no jp-5 sim trainers possible but I at least got to do the FC school for the hot stuff. They have a pretty decent fog machine and next week they gonna fill up a few rooms and have us bumble around in the dark looking for a "body" then play with the various fans some more. Honestly best part of my day. Besides the galley I suppose. One of the reservist IS is a hell of a baker and has been making goodies for us.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

LingcodKilla posted:

We so short on civilians for the FC/DC duties I volunteered and got kits for both DC1 and DC2. We've been doing training daily and suiting out a few times week. The wanted us to suit out in 3 minutes due to the ship being aluminum.

I'm gonna die if this ship catches on fire.

What exactly is that FC in front of DC standing for?

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Guessing from context:
Fire control/damage control

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Fart capturing, duh.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

US Berder Patrol posted:

Guessing from context:
Fire control/damage control

I mean my guess from context was firecontrolman, but that's not what we actually do.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
Fleet Command/Damage Control

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

PneumonicBook posted:

I mean my guess from context was firecontrolman, but that's not what we actually do.

controlling the spread of a fire, not controlling the firing of projectile weapons

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

PneumonicBook posted:

CIWS/FLIR/SSDS maintenance could be plausible, if the crew is largely CIVMAR.

Edit: looks like SOLAS refers to damage control as fire control.

We're on the edges of our seat crabman, which is it?

piL fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jul 17, 2020

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

MonkeyFit posted:

Fleet Command/Damage Control

That makes sense

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

piL posted:

CIWS/FLIR/SSDS maintenance could be plausible, if the crew is largely CIVMAR.

Edit: looks like SOLAS refers to damage control as fire control.

We're on the edges of our seat crabman, which is it?

Lordy I'm sorry about the confusion it's fire control. You were spot on about the SOLAS.

I get to dress up and play firemans. squirt squirt

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

LingcodKilla posted:

Lordy I'm sorry about the confusion it's fire control. You were spot on about the SOLAS.

I get to dress up and play firemans. squirt squirt

Well that's annoying.

Wish our rate was called something else sometimes lol.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

The new FREMM-based frigates will be the Brooke class. Anytime there's a non-WTF-worthy name selected it feels like we've dodged a bullet somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Madurai posted:

The new FREMM-based frigates will be the Brooke class. Anytime there's a non-WTF-worthy name selected it feels like we've dodged a bullet somehow.

Going back to the well there.