Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

140 turns into an Imrik vortex campaign and Chrace let me confederate and they literally had their starter zone and Albion. My entire zone was in the desert near tomb Kings otherwise.

The final ritual had my starting zone and those two Ulthuan provinces as my ritual sites. What the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

Zephro posted:

Dwarfs need Anvil of Power, Oathstones, proper rune magic/unit upgrades and also Thunderbarges :colbert:

I didn’t mention those and they would all be great additions. I write myself in the book of grudges and await my fate as a true Dawi should.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Holy poo poo, is there any single army stronger than Imrik with all the named dragons, and just a shitload of star dragons & dragon princes? I tore through that final battle and took virtually no damage.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
What gameplay effects does your factions capital have? As far as I know, you need to have route by ports and/or land to another faction before you can trade with them, they’re targets for Greenskin Waaghs, and they’re always one of the Vortex ritual sites. Anything else?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Dr Christmas posted:

What gameplay effects does your factions capital have? As far as I know, you need to have route by ports and/or land to another faction before you can trade with them, they’re targets for Greenskin Waaghs, and they’re always one of the Vortex ritual sites. Anything else?

Nope, other than a whole lot of them have extra-good main settlement buildings even if they lack landmarks.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Holy poo poo, is there any single army stronger than Imrik with all the named dragons, and just a shitload of star dragons & dragon princes? I tore through that final battle and took virtually no damage.

He's a strong lord in battle, but many of the other HE lords are way better IMO with their faction wide buffs. Tyrion, Alarielle, Alith Anar etc.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

playing grombrindal for the first time in a long time, and my tenuous peace with clan mors and eshin is gone after they war decc'd on the golden order. grimgor's been dead for a while now, and they control like... everything north and west of khemri.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

albany academy posted:

playing grombrindal for the first time in a long time, and my tenuous peace with clan mors and eshin is gone after they war decc'd on the golden order. grimgor's been dead for a while now, and they control like... everything north and west of khemri.
Ugh. Fighting Skaven in campaign is The Worst™ as any faction really, but especially Dwarfs.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

It's going to be abig game of whackamole. I have some allies at least.

One thing I noticed is the autoresolve strongly favours a skaven stack with stormvermin and gutter runners - no arty or guns - against my fresh lord with irondrakes and organ guns... No wonder these guys have so much of the map

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

albany academy posted:

It's going to be abig game of whackamole. I have some allies at least.

One thing I noticed is the autoresolve strongly favours a skaven stack with stormvermin and gutter runners - no arty or guns - against my fresh lord with irondrakes and organ guns... No wonder these guys have so much of the map
Has anyone ever done any real drilling down into how AR works? I've always wondered what the ideal AR army would look like, but I haven't got much further than "lots of units with ammo"

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

my army comp is
1 level two lord (regular kind?)
5 longbeards
3 irondrakes
5 thunderers
2 organ guns
2 grudge throwers

theirs was
1 plague seer
1 stormvermin sword/shield
1 stormvermin haberds
1 clanrat spears + shields
1 clanrat spears
3 clanrats
1 slavespears
2 reg slaves
1 ratling gun
2 gutter runner slings
3 gutter runners

somehow i had 1/3 chance of winning in auto resolve. i manually did it and took less than a hundred losses. this is vh/h

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

i have to assume that AR doesn't take unit matchups into account, because they had exactly one unit - the ratling gun - that could have done anything had it not got chewed up by organ guns. units must just have an arbitrary AR value and it doesn't compare them to see if one unit has a hard counter or not.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Zephro posted:

Ugh. Fighting Skaven in campaign is The Worst™ as any faction really, but especially Dwarfs.

I don't mind it as much with dwarves. The gunline being as good as it is means that you never have to micro anything.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

AR doesn't factor in morale very well or at all and gives a big bonus for anything ranged so skaven generally get overvalued by it

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

You cant autoresolve against the skaven if you have any artillery because the autoresolve just assumes the rats will Menace from Below your guns to death

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Autoresolve is complete nonsense. Never trust it

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

The dwarf gunline is especially good on undercity maps because no menace from below and you don't need to hug a corner, you can just checkerboard the width of the map and fast forward.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Dwarfs being inherently OP on underway maps was a simple but inspired choice. Intercepting a stack of greenskins or rats can be clutch.

Also, remember release when skaven were total pushovers?

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I can't believe I waited so long to get an SSD. I initiated a battle and it just loaded. No time to do squats, make a drink, look at my phone, read or anything. It just loaded.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

SunshineDanceParty posted:

I can't believe I waited so long to get an SSD. I initiated a battle and it just loaded. No time to do squats, make a drink, look at my phone, read or anything. It just loaded.

I've gained weight since they reduced turn times. Maybe moving the game off my SSD would help with my general health.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

So I'm playing Repanse in Vortex and doing pretty well (I should move up in difficulty, I wiped out all the tomb King factions by turn forty and now I'm just building my cities to tier five to make murder armies in case anything shows up).

I just noticed I have regiments of renown. Any one want to give me the lowdown? Are they super useful and I should make space for them, or just interesting side-grades?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Interesting side grades. As you can only ever hire one version of each regiment at a time, I typically don't use them until i want to defend a city. You can spawn a lord and then immediately fill it with a regiment of renown army on the same turn

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

SunshineDanceParty posted:

I have an SSD and the post-battle loading screen still takes like a minute

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Many RoR are upgrades as well, like the Krimson Killerz are Black Orks with cleaving attacks. :eyepop: A lot of RoR will have an amazing buff to defenses, a useful aura or something like armor sundering as archers, so they justify themselves as a single ranged unit in any army just to paint targets on enemy elites.

RoR instant recruit stacks with things like Empire Elector Count units and Lizardmen Blessed Spawnings, allowing a potential instant 20 stack on defense.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Regiments of Renown are pretty much always straight stat upgrades, not sidegrades, over the unit they’re based on in addition to new traits. You’ll have to look at the unit cards to see what they are. There are very few exceptions, like the Mournghul one getting Rampage, a few elite infantry trading their shield for another sword, and some units getting Ethereal or magic damage that could be countered by certain enemies.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Dr Christmas posted:

Regiments of Renown are pretty much always straight stat upgrades, not sidegrades, over the unit they’re based on in addition to new traits. You’ll have to look at the unit cards to see what they are. There are very few exceptions, like the Mournghul one getting Rampage, a few elite infantry trading their shield for another sword, and some units getting Ethereal or magic damage that could be countered by certain enemies.
I agree, I think they are almost always upgrades, if even its just something simple like having a higher model count (VCount zombies, Skaven Warpfire Thrower) or an extra trait that improves them in some way.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
For the newbies here is a tip that is often very useful in understanding the strengths and weaknesses of units;

If you hover your mouse over the "weapon strength" stat on the unit card, it'll show you how much armor piercing damage that unit can do and how much damage is regular basic damage. It's a pretty drat important stat to know of

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

RoR are great for that "oh poo poo" moment when an enemy stack comes out of the fog of near one of your undefended cities and your only free stack is on the other side of the map.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

punishedkissinger posted:

RoR are great for that "oh poo poo" moment when an enemy stack comes out of the fog of near one of your undefended cities and your only free stack is on the other side of the map.
This is the only thing I use any of them for, except the Direpack because the Direpack is the best RoR in the game, especially once you slap a Razor Standard on them.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I mean sidegrade as in you won't usually meaningfully notice the difference, but they're pretty cool. In a straight fight a RoR empire swordsman is going to beat a swordsman, but that's not really what you want to use them for. The difference there is unbreakable, so they'll hold forever.

Same with the tattered souls. They're basically just a giant pile of HP, except more. They're cool but you won't be using them in a different way than any other unit, really.

There are exceptions of course, but I can't say i really notice the aura ones. I definitely notice the armour sundering on archers.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Get the mod that makes RoR's recharge so you can get a new one every 7 rounds or so

An entire army of RoR's :getin:

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Zzulu posted:

Get the mod that makes RoR's recharge so you can get a new one every 7 rounds or so

I’m just imagining a whole army of that one skaven mortar RoR just carpet bombing the whole map.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
There is one RoR that's a downgrade, the Dark Elf Dark Rider RoR that gives them evil pegasus to ride. It also gives them like half the models so they're basically useless.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Zore posted:

There is one RoR that's a downgrade, the Dark Elf Dark Rider RoR that gives them evil pegasus to ride. It also gives them like half the models so they're basically useless.

Yeah, I get how CA wants to be incredibly careful in how they balance flying ranged units but they seem like they swung too far the other way for those guys. I like the idea of making RoRs weird instead of how most of the early RoRs are, like "what if handgunners but magic damage" or "what if this unit caused terror instead of fear".

e: While I'm thinking about it, ranged flying units would also be significantly affected if/when I figure out how to make ranged units fire in a flat/near-flat trajectory. Ranged units right now basically exist in place where first you focus-fire their ranged, then focus fire their non-shielded heavy hitters, and so on, because a melee line doesn't actually do anything to affect a ranged line until they touch them. With direct-fire ranged only, you could plausibly protect your own ranged units with, say, a line of goblins/chaff/shields/whatever. Granted, you'd also be cutting off your own ranged support by doing so, but that's just more positioning stuff. Ranged flyers, on the other hand, wouldn't have that downside because they'd basically always have high-ground positioning, but also, wouldn't really ever be able to be screened from incoming fire either (since flying chaff only exists for VCounts in the form of bats).

e: Does that mod that makes RoRs stack work for AI too?

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 17, 2020

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Nonsense, the RoR gives you something to fly over the enemy and beat up artillery* without making you get the harpy building early on :colbert:

* may not actually be able to beat up the artillery

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
They're also probably the most noticeably different RoR compared to their base version, so I can see what they were going for. I like what they were going for.

But they need to try again.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I don’t even use a full stack with Imrik. Just him, the dragons, the mage, and a few Dragon Princes. You’ll destroy everything, absolutely everything, with it. Use the savings to get another stack to hold (or send it up to Gunbad or something)

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Zzulu posted:

Which one is this so I can have a Dread Saurian doomstack?

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Zzulu posted:

Any chance you could link this? I'm not finding it and it would be cool to actually use RoR units for something other than emergency defense armies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Oof, I was really killing it with a Grombrindle ME campaign and then I hit some bug where anytime I tried to recruit a Lord my game crashed.

I’ve actually been playing this on a work computer, and I’m leaving that company next week so I don’t have a machine to play it on. I checked and since mid June I’ve played about 160 hours. So I’d say I got my money’s worth.

I’ll probably buy a gaming PC sometime early next year, so maybe I’ll just make sure to do it before WHTW3 comes out.