Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Morpheus posted:

I've been keeping an eye on that game ever since it hit my radar some time ago, but it rarely goes on sale. Never does on the Vita, anyway.

It was $10 on steam so I picked it up along with Bloodstained to hit their $30 threshold for the extra $5 off. Ended up liking it better than Bloodstained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

It was $10 on steam so I picked it up along with Bloodstained to hit their $30 threshold for the extra $5 off. Ended up liking it better than Bloodstained.

Does the difficulty ever become less awful? I tried up to the first boss on Normal, and could facetank everything because stuff was dealing insignifincant damage. Then I used the codes to turn on Nightmare mode, and even basic enemies started dealing half my HP per hit, and it became an exercise in controller snapping frustration, having to track back and forth and re-collect upgrades because the checkpoints were so far apart.

Stopped playing soon after that.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Does the difficulty ever become less awful? I tried up to the first boss on Normal, and could facetank everything because stuff was dealing insignifincant damage. Then I used the codes to turn on Nightmare mode, and even basic enemies started dealing half my HP per hit, and it became an exercise in controller snapping frustration, having to track back and forth and re-collect upgrades because the checkpoints were so far apart.

It's definitely on the easy side, but you were playing the tutorial zone so it gets a lot more difficult than that. Nightmare difficulty on non-NG+ files seems like it would be solely for masochists imo.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

The Zombie Guy posted:

Nobody should be surprised by neat little details in Metal Gear games by now, but here's a bit of throwback.

In Metal Gear Solid 2, there is a few segments where Raiden has to hang down from pipes and walkways in order to proceed.
When hanging, holding L2 and R2 at the same time will make Raiden do a chin-up. If you do 100 chin-ups, Raiden's grip strength increases, and you can dangle for longer.

And if you do it 100 times after that it goes up to level 3 and you can pretty much out-hang any alarm and caution phase.

My favourite little thing about the pull ups was that depending on how well you timed the presses, you would either do a smooth pull up and down movement, but if the timing and release was bad you would pull yourself up and then lower yourself down as if you were struggling, which would take longer overall between presses. You were rewarded for your technique, and then with the 'dropping down a level = 10 pull ups' you were rewarded again for thinking outside the box.

e: christ, talking about little things https://metalgear.fandom.com/wiki/Metal_Gear_Solid_2_secrets

"If the player uses pentazemin prior to swimming with Emma, her O2 gauge will deplete at a slower rate as she is concentrating on Raiden's heartbeat which is being slowed down by the drug."

TheMostFrench has a new favorite as of 15:46 on Jul 14, 2020

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Im seconding the recommendation on Timespinner. If you wanted mkre Order Of Ecclesia then play this one. The difficulty is around the same as it. Even including the balls bustingly hard hard mode.

Theres some things I found a little half baked, like the story I thought that the emperor would turn out a little nuanced but then I read a text log a little before the endgame just boom hes just a straightforward evil poo poo with a side of domestic abuse, and the orb leveling: no one, no one, liked the elemental proficiency mechanics in OoE, and in timespinner each orb (think glyphs from OoE) have their own level that increases with use. It annoyed me when my one orb which was the weakness of a boss did about the same damage as my everday exploration orbs the boss was neutral to, and its attack pattern was not great either so that one got permanently shelved.

Other than those 2 things its an almost perfect successor to OoE.

Rigged Death Trap has a new favorite as of 18:09 on Jul 14, 2020

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I completely ignored the leveling of orbs and just stuck with one or two that I liked, and the game worked fine. I don't know what it says about a game when you can completely ignore mechanics like that, but at least it doesn't get in the way? :shrug:

Timespinner is a cool game and people should play it.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Yeah, the orb leveling is mostly inconsequential unless you're powergaming (which is totally unecessary due to the low difficulty level), but it doesn't really add anything and makes it feel like you need to stick with one set of orbs. The writing was also not amazing, lots of "whatever"s in the dialogue during dramatic moments.

t-.-t
Nov 25, 2006

The Moon Monster posted:

It's definitely on the easy side, but you were playing the tutorial zone so it gets a lot more difficult than that. Nightmare difficulty on non-NG+ files seems like it would be solely for masochists imo.

I actually thought it was pretty fun, and was thankful there was a code to activate it so I didn't need to beat the game once. There's challenges in the game for winning fights without stopping time or getting hit (and a special gold medal for doing both). In Nightmare mode you basically can't get hit anyway so it wasn't that much of a change-up if you're going for 100% completion.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I’m glad you all enjoyed it, but I was pretty cool on Timespinner. It’s a decent “one of those” and not bad, but the story is so so and I feel like there was lost potential. I won’t bog down the thread with griping, but stuff like the time freezing didn’t seem particularly well thought out/implemented beyond “freeze and use enemy as platform” from time to time. Were there additional time powers I missed?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Warbird posted:

I’m glad you all enjoyed it, but I was pretty cool on Timespinner. It’s a decent “one of those” and not bad, but the story is so so and I feel like there was lost potential. I won’t bog down the thread with griping, but stuff like the time freezing didn’t seem particularly well thought out/implemented beyond “freeze and use enemy as platform” from time to time. Were there additional time powers I missed?

That was the only time power, I used quite a bit for dodging attacks, but you could probably get through the game without doing that.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I've been playing Super Mario Odyssey I'm blown away by the fact that I learned how to play this game in 1996

You think about how many franchises completely crashed and burned in the switch to 3D and how even the graceful transitions were dogshit compared to Super Mario 64, and I think the most powerful sign that Nintendo all but mastered 3D platformers on their first try is how little these games have changed in the subsequent quarter of a century.

I was long jumping, triple jumping, sideways somersaulting, all that great stuff with the same timing I was 23 years ago. That is incredible. Every game in this series is that perfect core of tight platforming and acrobatics with a couple gimmicks thrown in.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mario 64 was so good for controls and acrobatics I would usually start each session by just practicing and having fun in the castle courtyard area. It wasn't just fun to run and jump around moving forward, that particular leaping cartwheel you could only do when you stopped and reversed momentum was genius.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In Bloodstained 2, much as in Bloodstained 1, when you defeat a boss they will do a 'final attack' that you need to avoid.

Except if you've unlocked Ultimate Zangetsu (a powered-up version of the main character) there are at least two bosses which you can defeat another way.

https://twitter.com/AkibaShion/status/1282109542940069888?s=19
https://twitter.com/AkibaShion/status/1282110691755749376?s=19

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I've been playing Dark Souls 2's DLCs, and while they're hit and miss (DLC 1's real bad, DLC 2 might be the best area in DS2), I really respect the courage and skill involved in how they chose to end them.

It's a really ballsy move to make their big 'fanservice' pull from DS1 the boss everyone universally agrees was the worst part of that game. But then managing to pull if off is impressive.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Cleretic posted:

I've been playing Dark Souls 2's DLCs, and while they're hit and miss (DLC 1's real bad, DLC 2 might be the best area in DS2), I really respect the courage and skill involved in how they chose to end them.

It's a really ballsy move to make their big 'fanservice' pull from DS1 the boss everyone universally agrees was the worst part of that game. But then managing to pull if off is impressive.

What boss is that?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

What boss is that?

Specifically, the third DLC is set in a city built on top of the Bed of Chaos. It goes under a different name (The Old Chaos) and you don't directly fight it, but the boss arena makes it pretty clear what you're dealing with.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I liked how the DS1 DLC includes an item whose description is something like "this ring does nothing but increase damage taken. what kind of idiot would want to wear this?"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Something for late-game Borderlands 3; literally all of Carnivora. I wasn't expecting to have to execute a buff robot-piloting Bandit Penn and a mute Tink Teller after stopping their mobile Mad Max Carnival of Death :magical:.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

haveblue posted:

I liked how the DS1 DLC includes an item whose description is something like "this ring does nothing but increase damage taken. what kind of idiot would want to wear this?"

In remnant from the ashes there's a ring you can buy early on that makes you take 300% more damage, and to quote the ingame description

quote:

An inscription on the inside reads: "LITERALLY IMPOSSIBLE!" This piece of junk looks like it's worth no more than $2 at a local drugstore.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Gotten sucked back into Splatoon a lot lately, and the instant react system is one of the best things ever. It's just ingrained to the point where I instinctively try and hit a Booyah! when someone avenges me or a complaint when I die in any other multiplayer game. Also it helps that the game has maybe the best sound design ever, so it's always adorable whenever there's a chorus of reactions in game.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Necrothatcher posted:

and it should be pointed out that having a levelled up grip gauge is totally useless gameplay-wise as there are no scenarios where it's useful

Exceeeeept if you're going for all the dog tags! There are there a few soldiers in Snake's section that are in the super secret hanging mode mode only top path that you can only get too if you have a high enough grip level

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Something for late-game Borderlands 3; literally all of Carnivora. I wasn't expecting to have to execute a buff robot-piloting Bandit Penn and a mute Tink Teller after stopping their mobile Mad Max Carnival of Death :magical:.

In the credits Teller is credited as a voice actor.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
The second of Dark Souls 2's DLCs has an NPC invasion, Maldron the Assassin, who's probably the smartest invader in the series, as well as a total rear end in a top hat. He's got unique behavior that actually makes him a really tough fight, because once he gets weak enough he runs into a tower full of enemies and status effects, that you're probably going to accidentally get jumped by when he runs in and you follow because he looks mostly dead. He's honestly really clever as an encounter, but mostly he's a jerk. He shrugs at you when you die.

He returns in the third DLC, not as an invasion, but rather a regular enemy. He's just hanging around in a room in a tower, that you're probably going to rush through on your way to take down a mage that's been sniping at you. He does nothing for a good few seconds when you enter that room, giving just enough time for you to enter, turn around, see him, and then recognize him...

and then he waves at you.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I've played a bunch of Death Stranding when it came out on PC this week, and my favorite little thing is probably that if you tilt the camera up when it rains, you can hear the droplets fall on the "microphone".

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Maldron in Eleum also follows you around for a bit if you don't immediately try to flatten his rear end. He runs around generally standing in front of you or getting in the way and then when you encounter other enemies he'll run up and backstab you. If you refuse to fall for his tricks and just stare at him for a while he'll do that 'eyyyy cmoooon' gesture. Maldron owns.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Shoutout also to Jester Thomas, who you can summon in the main game to completely chump Mytha the snake lady boss in Earthen Peak. Dude has infinite stamina and sprints around doing cartwheels and slinging fireballs. If you summon him for the fight you basically can't lose because he murders her in seconds. He appears again in the Sunken City dlc.

As an invader.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
VERY
GOOD

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I also might as well shout out my favorite spirit in the game: Sellsword Luet, who wears the heaviest armor in the game and dual-wields greatshields.

Honestly, if Dark Souls 2 and its DLCs did one thing the best out of the whole series it's adding a BUNCH of personality to the 'multiplayer stand-in' NPCs.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Do you even need help to clown over Mytha? I remember having no problems fighting her.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
No, that's why summoning him for Mytha is so funny. The dude is just completely over the top on his own and he's totally unwarranted for the boss you can summon him for.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I'll have to check that out, thanks for bringing him up.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Push El Burrito posted:

In the credits Teller is credited as a voice actor.

More on that: The incredibly creepy “we’re on the blood path now” guy is actually voiced by Teller

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dewgy posted:

More on that: The incredibly creepy “we’re on the blood path now” guy is actually voiced by Teller

Holy poo poo, I never would've guessed that :stare:.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I loved that guy if only for the many, many variants of his catchphrase after the mission is complete

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Cleretic posted:

I also might as well shout out my favorite spirit in the game: Sellsword Luet, who wears the heaviest armor in the game and dual-wields greatshields.

Honestly, if Dark Souls 2 and its DLCs did one thing the best out of the whole series it's adding a BUNCH of personality to the 'multiplayer stand-in' NPCs.

Luet is also wearing the ring that draws aggro! :eng101:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I never had any use for those seeds of a giant tree that sic common enemies on invaders... except for when that Maldron punk camps in a tower full of undying enemies

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

CJacobs posted:

No, that's why summoning him for Mytha is so funny. The dude is just completely over the top on his own and he's totally unwarranted for the boss you can summon him for.

Oh hes also decked to the gills in the highest level pyromancies that you cannot get until the very late bits of endgame

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lobok posted:

Mario 64 was so good for controls and acrobatics I would usually start each session by just practicing and having fun in the castle courtyard area. It wasn't just fun to run and jump around moving forward, that particular leaping cartwheel you could only do when you stopped and reversed momentum was genius.

According to dev interviews, that was one of the biggest design goals. IIRC miyamoto had "is it fun for mario to run around in an empty field" as one of his big requirements.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Tunicate posted:

According to dev interviews, that was one of the biggest design goals. IIRC miyamoto had "is it fun for mario to run around in an empty field" as one of his big requirements.

They put a BUNCH of effort into making Mario fun and responsive to actually control, and it shows. My favorite part of the story of that is that the rabbit in the basement, MIPS, was actually a big part of it; Miyamoto was steadfast that the controls be responsive enough that you could catch that rabbit.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 15:57 on Jul 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The weight to Mario's movements has always been slightly unappreciated imo. it would be potentially frustrating if it wasn't so well done, reckon it's most noticeable in SMB1 and 64 in a good way. He has momentum, there's a bit of commitment to each run and jump which could easily have made the controls v frustrating but doesn't