Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Between Armor, Trim, Weapons, Pustiles, Tentacles, Tubes, weathering to make them look proper rotten/rusted, and all the other accents I think it's really hard to try and "simplify" them. There's just so much detail on these guys.

But yea I was just looking at the other DG "subfactions" in the codex to get some ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

£18 for the two packs necessary to convert 10 intercessors to Blood Angels is a dick move imo. maybe i can get away with snipping away the extra bits from the aggressor shoulder pads. I’ll already have enough of those from my crimson spear sets.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I've been looking through my old models. Are hammerheads still a bad idea for tau? Both times I fielded mine in the mid 00s it got blown off the table by lascannons early on. It got to fire and miss once. As a sci fi tank nerd I think the railgun version is awesome as hell but can see why drat near everything is better in your heavy support slot, especially now that there are riptides and other shiny new toys that can put out more shots while being more survivable.

edit: found a handy goonhammer 8th guide and that answers my question well enough for now.

bagrada fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 17, 2020

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Dawgstar posted:

I'm considering one for my Sisters. Their baked in psyker defense is nice and all, but I feel like I really want something a bit more. Coteaz, maybe.

jng2058 posted:

I'm looking at one for my Marines. I'm rolling Iron Hands, so my three HQ choices in my Battalion are the Iron Father, a Chapter Master, and a Lieutenant. Having a free HQ who's a Psyker and doesn't break Doctrines is pretty nice.

I think if they see a bit of a resurgence it will be as "I have run out of HQ choices and I want a psyker to mostly help with denying" because a lot of the psychic secondary objectives can be really good if you have literally no way to stop them.

For sisters I think taking a psyker at all may be a bad idea because you can't take Abhor the Witch as a secondary, depending on whether Sisters can deny the psychic actions (I haven't checked or read the rules for them enough to know). I guess it sort of comes down to how many players take enough psykers that it's worth taking a secondary that gains points for killing them.

For denials it's either going to be Greyfax or Coteaz, Greyfax being better for denying but isn't as strong offensively, isn't quite as tough, and doesn't get Coteaz special rules about deep striking and that CP thing.

There was an argument for getting a dirt cheap inquisitor for a denial plus the CP harvesting relic but now there's generally more CP around and it's harder to just hide a character at the back of the board on their own I suspect it will be Coteaz seen a lot when people take them.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

jesus WEP posted:

£18 for the two packs necessary to convert 10 intercessors to Blood Angels is a dick move imo.

Just use BA bits on the unit's focal points, and let your decals and paintjob do the heavy lifting.

Obviously that's just aesthetics, I don't know enough about current BA to say if there are different weapon loadouts.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
The conversion packs are ridiculous I think the extra £10 to get the small marine one that converts the standard tactical marines into slightly bling-ier versions for your chapter is sort of OK, but even then if I was a marine player I think I'd just stick with the decals and stuff and it would be my unique units that look particularly different. £10 per small marine squad starts adding up fast.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So I've got a Wake the Dead box worth of primaris and a single Dark Angels primaris upgrade pack. How do you even switch out the shoulder pads on these? Just go the gently caress to town with an exacto knife and hope there's no blood involved?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Kitchner posted:

The conversion packs are ridiculous I think the extra £10 to get the small marine one that converts the standard tactical marines into slightly bling-ier versions for your chapter is sort of OK, but even then if I was a marine player I think I'd just stick with the decals and stuff and it would be my unique units that look particularly different. £10 per small marine squad starts adding up fast.
think i'm just gonna say gently caress it and use the BA aggressor shoulder pads I already have for the assault intercessors in the Indomitus box, assuming they'll fit okay

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

jesus WEP posted:

think i'm just gonna say gently caress it and use the BA aggressor shoulder pads I already have for the assault intercessors in the Indomitus box, assuming they'll fit okay

Unfortunately they won't, since they'll be scaled for Gravis models (plus I think the ones in the box will be molded with shoulderpads). On the plus side, decals are already included for Blood Angels in Indomitus.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

Drone posted:

So I've got a Wake the Dead box worth of primaris and a single Dark Angels primaris upgrade pack. How do you even switch out the shoulder pads on these? Just go the gently caress to town with an exacto knife and hope there's no blood involved?

Have you already built the Wake the Dead models? They're the standard kits, not pushfit, so all you do is use the Dark Angels shoulder pads instead of the blank ones included with the primaris when you're building them. If you've already assembled them, then yeah, hacking at it with a razor saw or exacto then sanding it down to fit the new shoulder pads is your only real option.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Yvonmukluk posted:

Unfortunately they won't, since they'll be scaled for Gravis models (plus I think the ones in the box will be molded with shoulderpads). On the plus side, decals are already included for Blood Angels in Indomitus.

gently caress

Yeah I guess decals and spare reliquaries and such will have to do

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
The ForgeWorld decal sheets may be worth looking into. Expensive, but decals for days.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

bagrada posted:

I've been looking through my old models. Are hammerheads still a bad idea for tau? Both times I fielded mine in the mid 00s it got blown off the table by lascannons early on. It got to fire and miss once. As a sci fi tank nerd I think the railgun version is awesome as hell but can see why drat near everything is better in your heavy support slot, especially now that there are riptides and other shiny new toys that can put out more shots while being more survivable.

edit: found a handy goonhammer 8th guide and that answers my question well enough for now.

Vehicles are better in the new edition now that you can't just instantly explode to a lucky lascannon shot, so hammerheads are good and cool now. Also vehicles can move and shoot again which is handy.

Even though the railgun looks so badass, the ion cannon seems to be the way to go now. Idk if one is blast while the other isn't so take that with some salt until more news comes out.

But like you said, for the points it's better to use riptides and broadsides and they are a lot better for board control too

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Spanish Manlove posted:

Vehicles are better in the new edition now that you can't just instantly explode to a lucky lascannon shot, so hammerheads are good and cool now. Also vehicles can move and shoot again which is handy.

Even though the railgun looks so badass, the ion cannon seems to be the way to go now. Idk if one is blast while the other isn't so take that with some salt until more news comes out.

But like you said, for the points it's better to use riptides and broadsides and they are a lot better for board control too

Thanks I'll keep an eye on things. I magnetized my chaos dreads and broadsides but not my tanks unfortunately. Not too worried, I can likely play it "counts as" an ion cannon or even a devilfish if I need another, and it will be a cool enough centerpiece.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
That reminds me, the best way to unglue superglue (cyannoacrillic or whatever, not plastic glue) is to freeze it and break when cold, right?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Kitchner posted:

Yeah you really gotta spread the upgrade bits among your squads/centerpiece models to get your value out of them. I'd reserve em for sergeants and upwards.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Preem Palver posted:

Have you already built the Wake the Dead models? They're the standard kits, not pushfit, so all you do is use the Dark Angels shoulder pads instead of the blank ones included with the primaris when you're building them. If you've already assembled them, then yeah, hacking at it with a razor saw or exacto then sanding it down to fit the new shoulder pads is your only real option.

Not yet no, I'm still... eh... finishing painting up my age-old models from Dark Vengeance mainly as test models because I kinda like the idea of going all-Primaris :shobon: So all of my Wake the Dead are still on sprues for the moment.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Spanish Manlove posted:

That reminds me, the best way to unglue superglue (cyannoacrillic or whatever, not plastic glue) is to freeze it and break when cold, right?

It's the expansion and contraction that weakens the bond, throw in the freezer overnight and then hit it immediately with a hair dryer to make it even easier to pop apart.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

So it looks like the CSM Leviathans got hit pretty hard with the points increase.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WarhammerCompetitive/comments/hqct7x/forge_world_9th_edition_points/fxxed4q?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

A redditor posted:

410 points for double butcher (16 S8 shots AP -1 D 2. Its rough. We also dont get your cushy 4++ at range, instead getting 5++ unless in melee.

We can take double melee at 320 points though which is pretty attractive as we get 6 S16 AP-4 D4 attacks on a charge as well as being able to fire 2D6 hellflamers (better heavy flamers) and 2 meltaguns while in combat now. Makes charging chaff squads much more appealing as you are getting 6 melee hits, an average of 7 flamer hits and 2 melta hits on them instead of just 6 melee like last edition.

Anyone have any idea why there's such a huge points difference between the factions for the same model?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Warhammer 40,000: Rites of War is free right now on Good Old Games. https://www.gog.com/game/warhammer_40000_rites_of_war

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Snail Information posted:

Greyfax is an excellent anti-psyker, but I know you probably want more variety in your models. Coteaz's main thing is he can get his acolytes to shoot at stuff that is hotdropping near him. It's so situational, I've never seen it used, and even if it was used, its just a free overwatch. You can always make your own inquisitor.

Mostly I was thinking to spend two CP on him and give him like four cast and three deny attempts. Although a simple headswap Greyfax conversion is kind of tempting. God knows you have plenty of spare Sisters heads laying around with even one box of the regular squad, and I have... more.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Harvey Mantaco posted:

It's the expansion and contraction that weakens the bond, throw in the freezer overnight and then hit it immediately with a hair dryer to make it even easier to pop apart.

Ah ok, that makes more sense. I thought the cold inactivated something in the glue

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Re superglue - the easiest way to break a bond it is if you can apply a force in torque (i.e. twist).

Also consider an ultrasonic cleaner. The vibrations caviate the glue, removing much of its strength.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I posted in the general Minis Painting thread the other day, but didn't get an answer, sooo I'll try here -

Having read the OP, what actually do I need to buy for an airbrush? A brush, a compressor, a hose + an adapter for the Badger, a mask and a brush holster seem to be all the essentials. A water trap being a great idea too. Anything more?

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Vallejo Airbrush Flow Improver is the big thing missing there. But the other thing that was a huge help to my workflow was a decent water squeeze bottle, something like this.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WTHLR18/

Made it a lot faster to clean, if you watch Vince's cleaning video he shows his use of one, plus is useful for a bunch of other painting stuff!

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

I'm coming back to the game after a long hiatus, but I'm looking to make a 500 points thousand sons / daemons list, how does this look?

Exalted Sorcerer on Disc
Rubric Marines w/ Aspiring Sorcerer
Changecaster
Changeling
Pink Horrors

Bare bones, that's a bit under 500 as of now, and every unit can at least cast smite.

Any recommendations?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Cinara posted:

Vallejo Airbrush Flow Improver is the big thing missing there. But the other thing that was a huge help to my workflow was a decent water squeeze bottle, something like this.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WTHLR18/

Made it a lot faster to clean, if you watch Vince's cleaning video he shows his use of one, plus is useful for a bunch of other painting stuff!

Oh right, thanks.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

what's the best way to get berserkers into combat that isn't the forge world drill thing? should I just run them screaming across the table? or should they pile into a rhino?

Tommu
Aug 4, 2019

O vanity of Sleep, Hope, Dream, endless Desire,
The Horses of Disaster plunge in the heavy clay

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

So it looks like the CSM Leviathans got hit pretty hard with the points increase.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WarhammerCompetitive/comments/hqct7x/forge_world_9th_edition_points/fxxed4q?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Anyone have any idea why there's such a huge points difference between the factions for the same model?

Is there anywhere I can go where I dont need to listen to ss82

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Does anyone know what's going on with Necron kits being almost exclusively sold out through US resellers and directly through GW? Does this indicate that there will probably be a new SC box coming down the pyke, or is it just a side-effect of COVID and them putting all of their production capacity into Indomitus boxes recently? It's kind of weird to be hyped up about starting a new army and then finding that there's literally nowhere that I can go with my money to hoard more plastic toys.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Mae posted:

I'm coming back to the game after a long hiatus, but I'm looking to make a 500 points thousand sons / daemons list, how does this look?

Exalted Sorcerer on Disc
Rubric Marines w/ Aspiring Sorcerer
Changecaster
Changeling
Pink Horrors

Bare bones, that's a bit under 500 as of now, and every unit can at least cast smite.

Any recommendations?

Don't worry about 500 points lists too much, it's much more rock, paper, scissors as no one can field an effective combined arms type approach thats worth anything. I would just pick units that you think are cool and are generally considered good and don't worry about it.

Mikey Purp posted:

Does anyone know what's going on with Necron kits being almost exclusively sold out through US resellers and directly through GW? Does this indicate that there will probably be a new SC box coming down the pyke, or is it just a side-effect of COVID and them putting all of their production capacity into Indomitus boxes recently? It's kind of weird to be hyped up about starting a new army and then finding that there's literally nowhere that I can go with my money to hoard more plastic toys.

It could be any and all of these to be honest. Loads of their stuff is sold out and they are going to be lagging behind for ages as they desperately try to catch up with the fact their production has been disrupted. Good luck getting some bugman's glow, rakarth flesh, or palid wytch paint anywhere.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Kitchner posted:

Don't worry about 500 points lists too much, it's much more rock, paper, scissors as no one can field an effective combined arms type approach thats worth anything. I would just pick units that you think are cool and are generally considered good and don't worry about it.

So an ethereal, a unit of fire warriors, and a riptide. Got it.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Spanish Manlove posted:

So an ethereal, a unit of fire warriors, and a riptide. Got it.

My friends and I did a 500 point league back in 5th edition and every list was basically some variation of this. Mine was basically small MSU stormtroopers and a demolisher back when it was AV 14/13/11 or whatever it was.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!

Mikey Purp posted:

New Necrons means people buy up everything everywhere to throw into their closet and rot.

Usually happens when an army gets a bigger up date.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
My LGS is doing a 500 pt event for 9th ed. I came up with this list.

Primaris LT w/power sword
Intercessor x5 bolt rifle
Eliminator x3 bolt sniper rifle
Devastator Squad x5, 4x ML, Boltgun

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

jassi007 posted:

My LGS is doing a 500 pt event for 9th ed. I came up with this list.

Primaris LT w/power sword
Eliminator x3 bolt sniper rifle
Devastator Squad x5, 4x ML, Boltgun

How are you going to kill a tank?

If I was going to "an event" I'd take something like:

1 Company Commander
1 Tank Commander Demolisher
3 Infantry Squads
1 Hellhound

That;s like 420 points in 8th so there may even be room in there to add something else.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Snidesworth posted:

There's a couple of scenes in Apocalypse by Josh Reynolds. It's a pretty good read overall, punching way above its weight despite ostensibly being bolter porn, and there's a lot of material on original and primaris marines working alongside each other. You've got a pure Primaris force of Imperial Fists, a mixed force of Raven Guard and a purely oldschool one of White Scars all working together to defend a shrine world from the Word Bearers (who get a fair amount of pages dedicated to their own internal issues).

The audio book version is well done too, though that does include some dubious Space Mongolian accents.

Deptfordx posted:

There definitely is, because I've read at least one book with that sort of thing in, but I'm damned if I can remember which one it was.

Maybe ask in the Black Library thread.

Edit: *Looks at previous post*. Oh yeah, that was it.

Yeeeeees thanks a bunch.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

so if my squad disembarks from a rhino that has moved, the squad can't move or charge that turn?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

a pale ghost posted:

so if my squad disembarks from a rhino that has moved, the squad can't move or charge that turn?

If the Rhino moved the squad can’t disembark, they have to get out first. Only vehicles with special rules for that allow it, such as the Impulsor.

Pg 12 of 9th core rules posted:

If a unit starts its Movement phase embarked within a Transport model, that unit can disembark in that phase so long as the model itself has not yet made a Normal Move, an Advance or has Fallen Back that phase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

so the idea is to get the rhino up as far as possible, pop smoke, and have the squad disembark next turn?