Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Filboid Studge posted:

The idea of using Access for data analysis is upsetting me, I have to admit.

I'm interested to know why?

I used it 20 years ago (Access 97) for analyzing spacecraft data and it could cope with 1 million rows of data containing 30-40 fields, various relational links (1-1, 1-many, many-1 etc etc) and do numerous calculations that I could easily test were working properly.
(On a Windows XP machine at home so I could work from home instead of going into the uni, sharing a wildly overheated and no windows cramped office with 4 other postgrads and a big pile of heat-emitting servers)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jul 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Camrath posted:

Thanks for the advice.

For the purchase my step-mother-in-law (if that’s a thing) works for a local solicitor and will be handling that side of things (she’s actually the one that found the house- her and my father-in-law have been pushing for us to live closer for a while). As for the sale, there’s a firm run by a family friend who I’ll probably use- I did when I bought this place in the mid noughties and she did a good job.

The place I’m currently in is a leasehold (the issues we’ve had with the landlord, Peabody Trust, are a large part of why we want out so bad). I /think/ I have the paperwork safely filed away, but I don’t know what I don’t have, if that makes sense.

Make sure your solicitor will talk to you - I almost lost my buyer as my solicitor was incompetent, and ignored me for months until I threatened legal action.
That didn't actually work, but the estate agent I was using where friendly with the firms' owner, and didn't want the bad publicity.

OwlFancier posted:

I've been using openoffice for probably a decade now on the odd chance I need to use an office package.

Openoffice hasn't been supported for a while now, libreoffice is the version that split off that still gets updates.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yeah, I don't do anything high-intensity but LibreOffice is fine for the odd CV, personal spreadsheet or thing I want to print off.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I'm interested to know why?

Size limits, security, tendency to corrupt datasets, doesn't really do statistical analysis, swore while doing it for GCSE in 2003 that I'd never use it again if I could help it. Professionally I use SPSS because I have to for some third-party datasets, but we mostly use R (which has many of its own insanities but at least you can fix them or ask Python to).

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Gort posted:

Yeah, I don't do anything high-intensity but LibreOffice is fine for the odd CV, personal spreadsheet or thing I want to print off.

This is important - what do people want to do with their machines. I can't get through enough to people who want me to help them choose something. I'd say 80% of people can manage ok with just their phones these days and don't even need a laptop. Me, I'm spreadsheeting day in day out for hours on end and even using this forum or FB or whatever, it's much easier with a proper keyboard (laptop keyboard) than the stupid little thing on a phone that also keeps doing autocompletes, for when I am away and using the app.
(I learned to touch type 35 years ago and type faster than I write - tested at 96wpm in a temping agency years ago. Probably not unique amongst goons.)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Filboid Studge posted:

Size limits, security, tendency to corrupt datasets, doesn't really do statistical analysis, swore while doing it for GCSE in 2003 that I'd never use it again if I could help it. Professionally I use SPSS because I have to for some third-party datasets, but we mostly use R (which has many of its own insanities but at least you can fix them or ask Python to).

I've not experienced those problems.
I did download R but haven't put much effort into learning it yet.
Also used SPSS (and minitab) in my last work but was very familiar with Access so it was just easy. I did get a 30 day 'free trial' of minitab to do some of the more detailed statistical analysis to complete the PhD work but it was something like £900 for a licence back then. I just made sure I knew exactly what I wanted to do to squeeze as much value out of the free trial as I could.

(Maybe I should reiterate that my PhD was 20 years ago and things are available now that weren't then! Eg Google. I did all my science searches using Excite back then as it was best for science, and yahoo for everyday stuff. Oh and the internet was dialup and it would take all night to download a 130MB file and then some dilwad would 'wrong number' call at about 128MB and the whole darn thing would fail. Dialup used to break the internet if someone phoned you.)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jul 17, 2020

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/jane__bradley/status/1284076185190883328

Tory Mindset.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

(Maybe I should reiterate that my PhD was 20 years ago and things are available now that weren't then! Eg Google. I did all my science searches using Excite back then as it was best for science, and yahoo for everyday stuff. Oh and the internet was dialup and it would take all night to download a 130MB file and then some dilwad would 'wrong number' call at about 128MB and the whole darn thing would fail. Dialup used to break the internet if someone phoned you.)

Did my final year thesis in 99.
It was comparing two 'new' image compression techniques, Fractal Compression and Vector Quantization. Sounds sci-fi as gently caress.
Now just taking 256x256 black and white images (colour ones are just the same but three times the size) it took 3 hours to compress just one image!
I have to take 2 rows of the uni's computers to process them in parallel to get what I needed, and still took a month of sitting at black CMD screens for 10+ hours a day.

I ported the code a few years ago out of curiousity and it took milliseconds.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

sounds like they deserve it OP

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Seriously, there comes a time (it's the time after the first one) where you just don't loving let him leave until he pays. Or you send the bill to his house.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

yeah but it's a salon that voluntarily decided to give free haircuts to :airquote: journalists like Sarah Vine for publicity

now they're haunted by Michael Gove because they're too scared to risk getting an angry column written about them

it's beautiful in a way

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
Thread reader spotted:

https://twitter.com/DavidOlusoga/status/1284133067779723265?s=19

As a side note I'd strongly recommend Olusoga's work- a great public historian. I think a few of his documentaries are on iPlayer atm

Lobster God fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 17, 2020

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

What was the dambuster dog called?

It's headstone has been altered by the RAF because it is a racial slur.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
in the movies they changed its name to trigger, if that helps

e: lol

https://twitter.com/sma08889997/status/1284117298920525825?s=20

XMNN fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 17, 2020

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Dead Goon posted:

Just straight up the n word.

Which was also my great uncle's nickname in the desert during the war because he tanned easily.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Dead Goon posted:

It was called n*ger (that rhymes with trigger).

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

What a delightful name for a dog.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It was a fairly common name for black and brown dogs back in the days when there were vast swathes of the country with zero Black people to say what a hosed up name for a dog it was.

H P Lovecraft's cat was called n—r man.

quote:

Words aren’t dropped from a language in the blink of an eye: While new terms can swiftly become part of the common lexicon, that which has fallen from linguistic favor departs far more slowly. Though now widely regarded as one of the words one must not say, it wasn’t that long ago that Western society routinely used “n—r” as a color descriptor of various goods, even well after it was no longer used as a descriptor of people. Around 1914, Lady’s Pictorial a London magazine, routinely presented ads for soft taffeta hats in “n—r-black.” A 1915 edition of the British Home Chat magazine described cloth as “n—r-brown.” Writers D.H. Lawrence and John Dos Passos wrote about “n—r-grey” and “n—r-pink.” And, as late as 1973, The Times of London wrote of autumnal colours in a shade that “used to be n—r brown.”

I think the English just like saying it. N—r-pink indeed. :catstare:

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Dead Goon posted:

https://twitter.com/kathwitch/status/1284037490299604993?s=19

It wasn't a racial slur it was just a colour!!!!

^^^ oh wow, I thought this person was being particularly bigoted but it turns out she was being normal bigoted, excuse me

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Can't let anything tech related without mentioning this absolute clusterfuck which had thankfully been fixed and patched on almost every machine by the time I started work. There *is* another factory non-volatile memory setting which can lead to severe toner spill and back-up which *still* is rolled out without being set correctly at the factory, even on newer updated versions of the same print engine

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

H P Lovecraft's cat was called n—r man.

HP Lovecraft was incredibly loving racist though

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/lloyd_rm/status/1284160172097757191?s=20

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Stop searching for offence when I use racial epithets as much as possible in my daily life.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Landlord melt confirmed.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Doe Boris still want to do that Celebrate Britain thing in 2 years?

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Lobster God posted:

Thread reader spotted:

https://twitter.com/DavidOlusoga/status/1284133067779723265?s=19

As a side note I'd strongly recommend Olusoga's work- a great public historian. I think a few of his documentaries are on iPlayer atm

I suspect the BBC are leveraging the gently caress out of their one(?) Black historian at the moment. I second the unaccountably spoiler-tagged recommendation anyway!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

oh my loving god

i'm glad the opening ceremony didn't mention harry potter, could you even imagine

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

My (American) granddad said that when he was a kid (in 1920s Minnesota) he had a dog called the n-word. He didn't defend it or anything, he just said that "oh, well, we thought it was fine at the time".

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Julio Cruz posted:

HP Lovecraft was incredibly loving racist though
Oh I know, but his cat's name was not a deliberately racist name for a black cat at the time, so most of the accounts of his cat take pains to say "and this was a normal cat name for the time despite him also being a giant racist who was terrified of every other ethnicity."

I can't get over n—r-pink though, that's being deliberate, like it takes information away rather than adding it, absent context I can't tell whether it's supposed to be actual pink but they added a slur for no reason, or whether it's an ironic 8chan way of saying 'brown'.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

i'm glad the opening ceremony didn't mention harry potter, could you even imagine
2012 Olympic ceremony cancelled.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Comrade Fakename posted:

My (American) granddad said that when he was a kid (in 1920s Minnesota) he had a dog called the n-word. He didn't defend it or anything, he just said that "oh, well, we thought it was fine at the time".

Are you saying he was a racist

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Ash Crimson posted:

Are you saying he was a racist

Well, he was a white man born in 1918, so, yes. But I meant he wasn't saying it was okay he had a dog called that, his remarks were more along the lines of "it was pretty crazy that that happened considering what I know now".

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

XMNN posted:

in the movies they changed its name to trigger, if that helps

e: lol

https://twitter.com/sma08889997/status/1284117298920525825?s=20

It wasn't changed in the original film, only in the upcoming remake.

That BBC article has a searing hot take from a facebook random:

Dorothy posted:

"Are we not supposed to buy black dogs or cats now for risk of becoming being called racist?"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Proposed solution that will definitely please all the people in the twitter comments:

Dog (and mission name) are both still called the n-bomb but we go Hamilton and make No. 617 Squadron RAF entirely Black.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
my concerns about climate change are not a catastrophic extinction level event - hey maybe methane will be that but if that's coming we have absolutely no chance to do anything about it now. who cares.

my concern is that in 2011, in large part dude to a famine caused by poor crop yields following extreme high temperatures, syria descended into civil war. about half of the population needed critical humanitarian aid, about six million left the country. these refugees - fleeing a horrific environment with, in my opinion, with total moral justification for trying to resettle - mostly moved to neighbouring countries, but a small percentage joined with the usual migrant channels and wanted to go to western countries. many of these were doctors, nurses, professionals who spoke fluent english and who could easily contribute to any functional state - from the perspective that training people costs money a huge saving for us.

in response, these western countries created brexit, trump, put machine guns and gunboats on the EU border and embraced full blown fascism with popular support. vigilantes hunt latin americans on the US border with impunity. a bunch of EU countries elected out and out fascists or came close enough that they'll probably manage next time.

there is a valley in india/pakistan/kasmir that homes about a billion people (i can't remember the name of, apologies). they are already getting heatwaves of 40 degrees and more - a few more degrees warmer and in the summer we will exceed the wet bulb temperature for safe human habituation, and pretty much everyone will need to leave.

hysterical and racist panic over few million syrians got us to 2020. what will a billion people do. i do not think climate change will kill us all - i think climate change will make us kill ourselves, the remotely decent ones anyway.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

It did; it had a whole segment that was opened by JK Rowling with a giant inflatable voldemort or something.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Disproportionation posted:

It did; it had a whole segment that was opened by JK Rowling with a giant inflatable voldemort or something.

I must be the only person who's never seen the opening ceremony, and the more I hear of it, the less likely it is that I will change that

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

CoolCab posted:

hysterical and racist panic over few million syrians got us to 2020. what will a billion people do. i do not think climate change will kill us all - i think climate change will make us kill ourselves, the remotely decent ones anyway.

there's a scene in 1984 where Winston goes to the movies (or remembers going to the movies? idk it's been a long time since I read it) and watches a newsreel about a boat full of refugees in the Mediterranean getting annihilated by a helicopter gunship while the audience goes wild for it

for some reason this never gets brought up by all the people going "1984 is happening right now because the woke left tore down a statue and they had the memory hole thing in the book" even though we're definitely going to see it in our lifetimes (the gunships, not dead refugees or people celebrating their deaths, we already have that)

fake edit: I found the extract, plus some discussion of it
https://digressionsnimpressions.typ...e-no-longe.html

XMNN fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 17, 2020

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Jedit posted:

I seem to recall that Venn diagram is the clichéd circle.

This is not how Venn diagrams work.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I must be the only person who's never seen the opening ceremony, and the more I hear of it, the less likely it is that I will change that

It was an amazing piece of theatre and Danny Boyle did an incredible job of bringing together the history of the UK and the myths we tell about ourselves. On the night it was incredible, and you should watch it.

The political movement that sprung up around it can get to gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Relatedly, "POTTERGAME" is UKMT as gently caress. I had a bunch of screenshots but I failed to upload them before heading out, but it's worth the ~20 mins it takes to play.