Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll
This poll is closed.
Yes 151 82.51%
No 32 17.49%
Total: 183 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Internet Wizard posted:

What? Crenshaw was a war criminal SEAL

But you repeat yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
Ah, gently caress

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1284164358705238021

This, plus the rumors that Alito wants to retire to make room for a younger Federalist Society hack have me a bit depressed today

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

egyptian rat race posted:

Ah, gently caress

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1284164358705238021

This, plus the rumors that Alito wants to retire to make room for a younger Federalist Society hack have me a bit depressed today

Might end up with a true believer textualist like Gorsuch that will look at wording arguments and say "well I guess the law does say that lgbt are protected under the civil rights act"

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

hobbesmaster posted:

Might end up with a true believer textualist like Gorsuch that will look at wording arguments and say "well I guess the law does say that lgbt are protected under the civil rights act"

Or get 2 more of Clarence Thomas

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Eh, I'm not too bothered by Fuckface McTurtle getting another SCOTUS seat. The damage is already done with the current Republican majority court.

Yes, yes it can get worse, I hear that being screamed already and I agree.

That's not my point.

The solution either way is the same just with different numbers. Supreme Court reform happens (lol) or it doesn't (Democratic game plan). If we can grip the dems by the balls and squeeze hard enough at some point in the future to force them in to making the necessary reforms it can be fixed no matter what the turtle does. If they hold to their succdem decorum play book and accomplish nothing the damage is already done and nothing will change for the better. We're at the point where "slowing the damage" has no functional difference from everything reaching end-game terminal status.

It gets fixed entirely or we're all hosed, so don't pay attention to the RBG circus. Set your sights higher and find ways to put pressure on the system for those solutions.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just got an e-mail from the army, looks like they're clamping down on the display of flags. Basically if it isn't the US flag, a state/territory flag, friendly country flag, or anything to do with the military, it can't be displayed in common areas or the barracks. Take that fuckin traitor rag to the dumpster, chuds

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

She's incredibly selfish to not have retired under Obama imo.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Slim Pickens posted:

Just got an e-mail from the army, looks like they're clamping down on the display of flags. Basically if it isn't the US flag, a state/territory flag, friendly country flag, or anything to do with the military, it can't be displayed in common areas or the barracks. Take that fuckin traitor rag to the dumpster, chuds

That also gets rid of those thin blue line defaced US flags right?

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Best Friends posted:

Yup. I completely agree.

ganglysumbia
Jan 29, 2005
As an American who has set up permanent residence in the EU your best chance of getting here is marrying in. It is possible to stay on a work visa alone, but that’s a shaky foundation to build on. Or just join the Legion...

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Bored As gently caress posted:

Yup. I completely agree.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Slim Pickens posted:

War trophy flags have got to be okay, I hope this removes the scout sniper and Confederate battle flags though despite their “military origins”

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
In case you forgot to remind yourself this morning…

Your butt is perfect.

Your smile lights up the room.

Your mind is cool.

You are way more than enough.

You are doing a great job.

https://twitter.com/pamelacolloff/status/1283934311503323136?s=19

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

bird food bathtub posted:

Eh, I'm not too bothered by Fuckface McTurtle getting another SCOTUS seat. The damage is already done with the current Republican majority court.

Yes, yes it can get worse, I hear that being screamed already and I agree.

That's not my point.

The solution either way is the same just with different numbers. Supreme Court reform happens (lol) or it doesn't (Democratic game plan). If we can grip the dems by the balls and squeeze hard enough at some point in the future to force them in to making the necessary reforms it can be fixed no matter what the turtle does. If they hold to their succdem decorum play book and accomplish nothing the damage is already done and nothing will change for the better. We're at the point where "slowing the damage" has no functional difference from everything reaching end-game terminal status.

It gets fixed entirely or we're all hosed, so don't pay attention to the RBG circus. Set your sights higher and find ways to put pressure on the system for those solutions.

I don't think there is going to be a lot of popular support for packing the court, ever. Not only are the circumstances for achieving this goal highly unlikely but the Dems also don't have the balls to do it AND half the country would self immolate.

Best Friends posted:

There was an extremely small window where a successor would have been a guaranteed appointment, and she's done a pretty great job in the interim. Blaming RBG for the democratic party's failures is uh, unjustified. They lost to a loving gameshow host.

Nothing quite like calling a champion of progressive legal scholarship "selfish" because she didn't see the biggest upset in the history of modern politics coming down the pipeline.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 17, 2020

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Grip it and rip it posted:

Nothing quite like calling a champion of progressive legal scholarship "selfish" because she didn't see the biggest upset in the history of modern politics coming down the pipeline.

Not only that but there was no guarantee she’d be replaced by Obama. What happens when she retired right after Scalia died? Trump gets 3 slots because McTurtle stonewalled and dems didn’t sack up for their two slots.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

She's ancient and has been in poor health for ages. It's hard to chalk up her persistence on the Court to anything but hubris. For all the poo poo our society gives teens for acting like they're immortal, we don't do nearly enough of the same shaming to the elderly when they pull similar poo poo.

You'll never see more sociopathic entitlement than when the time comes to take the car keys away from a grandparent and they just refuse to accept the unambigous evidence of just how dangerously unfit they are to be behind the wheel.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Not only that but there was no guarantee she’d be replaced by Obama. What happens when she retired right after Scalia died? Trump gets 3 slots because McTurtle stonewalled and dems didn’t sack up for their two slots.

Yeah

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I don't think there is going to be a lot of popular support for packing the court, ever. Not only are the circumstances for achieving this goal highly unlikely but the Dems also don't have the balls to do it AND half the country would self immolate.

There was an extremely small window where a successor would have been a guaranteed appointment, and she's done a pretty great job in the interim. Blaming RBG for the democratic party's failures is uh, unjustified. They lost to a loving gameshow host.

Yeah this is where I'm at with it. Hindsight is 20/20 and I think it's easy to pretend everyone saw Trump being elected when the reality was most people presumed Clinton was a lock and I'm sure RBG had every intention of stepping down if she had won. It sucks and it's a big poo poo sandwich but so have been the last four 244 years and that's hardly on her.

I don't think popular support for court packing will suddenly appear on it's own but if let's say Biden does win and then she dies before he takes office and McConnell gets someone in? You had better believe that opinion will change in the right places.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Handsome Ralph posted:

Yeah this is where I'm at with it. Hindsight is 20/20 and I think it's easy to pretend everyone saw Trump being elected when the reality was most people presumed Clinton was a lock and I'm sure RBG had every intention of stepping down if she had won. It sucks and it's a big poo poo sandwich but so have been the last four 244 1,345 years and that's hardly on her.

I don't think popular support for court packing will suddenly appear on it's own but if let's say Biden does win and then she dies before he takes office and McConnell gets someone in? You had better believe that opinion will change in the right places.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The standard argument for why dems should vote for candidates they don't love is "the supreme court." it stands to reason that supreme court justices should have some obligations themselves back downward. Right now we're in a weird space culturally where obligation only goes upward in hierarchies. Even medieval lords were supposed to have some obligations to the peasants.

She should have retried at a reasonable age like normal people.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

ganglysumbia posted:

As an American who has set up permanent residence in the EU your best chance of getting here is marrying in. It is possible to stay on a work visa alone, but that’s a shaky foundation to build on. Or just join the Legion...

I just found out by pure random chatting with my dad that I'm eligible for Irish citizenship. I've just got to put in the forms, pay the 300 euros or whatever it is, wait 12 to 18 months and apparently that's good enough.

However they aren't processing poo poo right now according to their website thanks to the 'rona.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

egyptian rat race posted:

The biggest thing keeping me from trying to emigrate in the early 2010s was debt (now gone) and the thought of irreparably pissing off my side of the family. Reactions to COVID has damaged that bridge enough to where I'm considering it again.

I'm wondering how much of a laughable goal New Zealand is these days as a filthy american, even if I'm in a critical skills area (civil engineering)

Our borders are shut. I have no idea if you can apply and get in once approved, but start here:
https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas/apply-for-a-visa/tools-and-information/tools/points-indicator-smc-28aug

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Only half?!?! How can my death fetish be satisfied with these half measures?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Best Friends posted:

The standard argument for why dems should vote for candidates they don't love is "the supreme court." it stands to reason that supreme court justices should have some obligations themselves back downward. Right now we're in a weird space culturally where obligation only goes upward in hierarchies. Even medieval lords were supposed to have some obligations to the peasants.

She should have retried at a reasonable age like normal people.

So you are just going to ignore how the Senate rules affected the process her replacement would have gone through? What about your obligation to acknowledge the political reality that was the Senate's rules for nomination? Which year of Obama's presidency should she have stepped down during? His first?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

You're not at all wrong. I just pull for ignoring the RBG circus and not stressing over her seat. That cake was baked years ago. The chance to outright prevent all the SCOTUS damage that is going to come without having the much larger SCOTUS-reform fight has already been missed. What happens with her specifically won't change the ultimate outcome. Even if she toughs it out and Biden gets her replacement, nothing changes for the better.

We're in "go big or go home" territory, so the fight needs to move on from the distraction that is her seat.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

bird food bathtub posted:

You're not at all wrong. I just pull for ignoring the RBG circus and not stressing over her seat. That cake was baked years ago. The chance to outright prevent all the SCOTUS damage that is going to come without having the much larger SCOTUS-reform fight has already been missed. What happens with her specifically won't change the ultimate outcome. Even if she toughs it out and Biden gets her replacement, nothing changes for the better.

We're in "go big or go home" territory, so the fight needs to move on from the distraction that is her seat.

I'm sure all the DREAMers are comforted that you have a plan of action for after they are purged from our country.

Along with anyone else that had a 5-4 split operate in their favor over the past 4 years (that RBG was a part of)

I'm sorry if this comes off as brusque or accusingly but hearing people suggest that there is some grand plan in the works to sweep the board with radical legal reform sounds detached. Even moreso when coupled with a suggestion that it doesn't matter who you vote for in the Presidential race.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 17, 2020

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

I'm sure all the DREAMers are comforted that you have a plan of action for after they are purged from our country.

Along with anyone else that had a 5-4 split operate in their favor over the past 4 years.

Don't put words in my mouth to try to straw man an argument. I didn't say it's a bad thing that those decisions have been made and I'm not gleefully twirling my mustache hoping things happen the way you're trying to say while I cackle over the suffering of others.

Going forward the focus needs to be put in to reform of the entire institution. Every one getting stress head aches every time RBG goes back to the hospital again isn't productive, so don't pay attention to that circus.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
If incrementalism, strategic voting or any of the poo poo centrist eggheads beat off about worked we wouldn't be here today

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Which year of Obama's presidency should she have stepped down during? His first?
I would assume that this is going to be the standard for a while. And/or every time a justice is over 70 and their party matches the senate and president.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
The Army just figured out a way to ban the Confederate Flag.

They published a list of flags allowed to be flown and the Confederate Flag isn't on it :laugh:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

stealie72 posted:

I would assume that this is going to be the standard for a while. And/or every time a justice is over 70 and their party matches the senate and president.

Yeah short of getting term limits imposed (hah) I think going forward, Dems will push their appointees to commit to retiring once they hit a certain age window and they have the votes in the Senate to get their replacement through.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

facialimpediment posted:

The Army just figured out a way to ban the Confederate Flag.

They published a list of flags allowed to be flown and the Confederate Flag isn't on it :laugh:

Technically, this could leave a “heritage not hate” commander to ignore it, but that would be ill advised.

Also not listed are football team flags or university flags, but presumably only a really obnoxious commander would deem those “divisive” symbols.

I was thinking an rear end could use the MS flag instead, but it was retired 17 days ago, and MS presently has no flag.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

mlmp08 posted:

Technically, this could leave a “heritage not hate” commander to ignore it, but that would be ill advised.

Also not listed are football team flags or university flags, but presumably only a really obnoxious commander would deem those “divisive” symbols.

I was thinking an rear end could use the MS flag instead, but it was retired 17 days ago, and MS presently has no flag.

Uh, I don't know how many college football fans you know, but those flags can be very divisive.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/07/david-shor-cancel-culture-2020-election-theory-polls.html

This is a really amazing read about polling in the US, the personal views of large and small donors, the things Democratic politicians are willing to do as long as they don't cost them reelection, demographic changes, etc. I can only highly encourage you to read this.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Torrannor posted:

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/07/david-shor-cancel-culture-2020-election-theory-polls.html

This is a really amazing read about polling in the US, the personal views of large and small donors, the things Democratic politicians are willing to do as long as they don't cost them reelection, demographic changes, etc. I can only highly encourage you to read this.

Yeah I read most of this earlier today, it's a proclick.

ganglysumbia
Jan 29, 2005

not caring here posted:

I just found out by pure random chatting with my dad that I'm eligible for Irish citizenship. I've just got to put in the forms, pay the 300 euros or whatever it is, wait 12 to 18 months and apparently that's good enough.

However they aren't processing poo poo right now according to their website thanks to the 'rona.

Just remember living in a place and visiting that place are not the same.
Also, building wealth here is a multi generational effort. There’s a reason kids living with their parents until marriage (and beyond) is common here, wages are low and everything’s expensive. A quick google search seems to suggest Ireland is up there on the difficultly scale.

That being said if you know a skilled trade or have a useful degree, and can speak the language, life can be comfortable if you work for it. But who the hell knows how central and Western Europe will look in a few years let alone 20, are we not in the longest sustained peace (not counting the Balkans) in the history of the continent? Feeling like this is all a big crapshoot.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

A Bad Poster posted:

Uh, I don't know how many college football fans you know, but those flags can be very divisive.

Destroy College football and topple their thrones

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

stealie72 posted:

Good luck enforcing a policy like this against lifetime appointees

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Before you view this video, please disregard the usual stuff - that Chris Wallace is a bullshit prop used by Fox News to shield their channel by being the one actual journalist there, that this is all dumb and doesn't matter

... and look at the wonderful Trump reactions in the first 15 seconds when he gets called on his poo poo

https://twitter.com/brooklynmutt/status/1284205912283140096?s=19

Apparently they both looked through this magical compact (the Bernie-Biden platform stuff) and couldn't find anything later in the interview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notirish
Dec 28, 2011
Canadian police losing the plot a little:

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/nati...crime-by-police