Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Finger Prince posted:

In the case of Honda though, they started out with motorcycles then added cars and lawnmowers and eventually a jet.
Also you kind of forgot Harley Davidson, although I suppose you could argue they're also an apparel company.

Harley are a lifestyle company that happens to make motorcycles as a side-hustle, although I'm delighted to discover when checking Wiki because I thought they'd started as something else first that they were literally founded as two blokes in a shed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I prefer bikes from manufacturers that has a <Company> Heavy Industries division.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Supradog posted:

I prefer bikes from manufacturers that has a <Company> Heavy Industries division.

I'd buy a Weyland-Yutani bike

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

mulligan posted:

The Benelli is 270 crank... :agesilaus:

In this case it means that the MTBF is 270 revolutions

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Supradog posted:

If you can't buy a piano from the same company that made your motorcycle what are you even doing

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Same but mining equipment and passenger cars

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I want Roland to start making motorcycles

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
I have a matching motorcycle and piano tyvm

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
As a Harley owner, I can go days without not seeing the HD logo.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Tyro posted:

I'd buy a Weyland-Yutani bike

Strife posted:

As a Weyland-Yutani owner, I can go days without not seeing the WY logo.

Presenting the all-new WY Chestburst 1300. Race your heart!

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

moxieman posted:

I have a matching motorcycle and piano tyvm

I didn't even think about this when I bought the bike but I have a matching motorcycle and drum set :respek:

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Slavvy posted:

A few more model ideas:

Bishop - 1st gen prone to nasty headshake and random highsides; 2nd gen performs well and incredibly reliable even if you treat it like total poo poo
Mother - electronic EVERYTHING, built-in GPS randomly gives you directions to very bad parts of town
Nostromo - a loving huge trike that holds a hidden Motocompo in the luggage

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jazzzzz posted:

A few more model ideas:

Bishop - 1st gen prone to nasty headshake and random highsides; 2nd gen performs well and incredibly reliable even if you treat it like total poo poo
Mother - electronic EVERYTHING, built-in GPS randomly gives you directions to very bad parts of town
Nostromo - a loving huge trike that holds a hidden Motocompo in the luggage

:perfect:

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

MomJeans420 posted:

400 switches you have to fiddle with for an hour before every ride? Or a fuel filler that only works at certain gas stations?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

MomJeans420 posted:

Roland decides to build the world's most innovative electric motorbike, then a bunch of dudes from detroit realize if you chop it up and change a few of bits, you can use it to power your house, and the rest is history.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009

Strife posted:

As a Harley owner, I can go days without not seeing the HD logo.

As a Harley owner you can buy a bowling ball manufactured by the same company. (Admittedly it would have to be used)

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Mirconium posted:

As a Harley owner you can buy a bowling ball manufactured by the same company. (Admittedly it would have to be used)

Bowling balls, beer, dog bowls. I even saw a ceiling fan once. Though to be fair they don't manufacture them, it's just a part of their ~*~*Lifestyle Brand*~*~

Slavvy posted:

I've been thinking of replacing the tank badge on my bike, maybe I'll use this.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

I can't unsee the similarity

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Finger Prince posted:

Roland decides to build the world's most innovative electric motorbike, then a bunch of dudes from detroit realize if you chop it up and change a few of bits, you can use it to power your house, and the rest is history.
:mmmhmm:

although Chicago was really the House mecca

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

400 switches you have to fiddle with for an hour before every ride? Or a fuel filler that only works at certain gas stations?

Finger Prince posted:

Is there any bike manufacturer who could claim a similar influence on an industry as Roland releasing the TB-303, TR-808, and TR-909? Maybe Honda with the Super Cub?

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009

Strife posted:

Bowling balls, beer, dog bowls. I even saw a ceiling fan once. Though to be fair they don't manufacture them, it's just a part of their ~*~*Lifestyle Brand*~*~

No, no, they were definitely part of a bowling ball manufacturer once. (it is an AMF joke)

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Mirconium posted:

No, no, they were definitely part of a bowling ball manufacturer once. (it is an AMF joke)

Oh right. They just needed something at the time that could roll 60 feet without breaking down.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

MomJeans420 posted:

Is there any bike manufacturer who could claim a similar influence on an industry as Roland releasing the TB-303, TR-808, and TR-909? Maybe Honda with the Super Cub?
CB750?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

MomJeans420 posted:

While the Cub was innovative in its own way, the main things it bought to the table were just stuff that existing bikes/scooters did but better/more reliably. The innovations on it like the semi-auto gearbox and the weird front end weren't really taken up by other manufacturers (or even by Honda on their other models) - scooters mostly stuck with manual boxes until the CVT became reliable enough to be viable, and weird front ends remain the preserve of German perverts.

The equivalent of those early Roland boxes is probably BSA in the UK at least, in that with the Bantam and particularly the Gold Star they bought a thing previously very much the plaything of the rich to a pricepoint accessible to the working classes, and an entire culture suddenly sprung up around them as a result.

I'd say the most influential individual bike is whichever one had the current standard control layout - I know most manufacturers had their own weird special snowflake control layouts right up to the sixties - whatever bike finally banished foot-operated clutches, inverted throttles, and timing advance levers definitely deserves a place in the hall of fame.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I don't know anything about electric noise boxes but I nominate the cb77. It was the first bike that:

- Worked properly all the time, was easy and logical to repair
- Had controls that were useable for everyone
- Was built to an acceptable standard
- Had the right matrix of size, power and capacity to be an everyman's bike and not just a tiny moped/giant beast
- All at a reasonable price

But most importantly: it planted the expectation in the minds of the buying public that the above qualities were basic requirements, not expensive luxuries.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

I don't know anything about electric noise boxes but I nominate the cb77. It was the first bike that:

- Worked properly all the time, was easy and logical to repair
- Had controls that were useable for everyone
- Was built to an acceptable standard
- Had the right matrix of size, power and capacity to be an everyman's bike and not just a tiny moped/giant beast
- All at a reasonable price

But most importantly: it planted the expectation in the minds of the buying public that the above qualities were basic requirements, not expensive luxuries.

The way the Japanese manufacturers pissed on the chips of the collected non-Japanese manufacturers in the 70s should be the first lesson in every single business and engineering school - ideas like "oil should stay in the engine" and "most of the bolts should be in most of the right holes" weren't some exotic engineering silkworm known only to the mysterious Orient, they were easily within the capabilities of everyone from Harley to Triumph, but they just... didn't bother. Only BMW mostly escaped but that's because their bikes have always been poo poo, and people only buy them because of some deeply-repressed humiliation fetish.

Obviously this was a pattern repeated across the economy, but I think bikes show it most clearly because they didn't have the confounding factors of the 70s oil crisis or 80s semiconductor crash that opened up new market sectors that a new entrant could more easily exploit than an existing one, and the Japanese manufacturers still completely dominated the incumbents.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

goddamnedtwisto posted:

German perverts.
You mean Piaggio Group?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Thanks to someone for linking this thread in the other moto threads, now I have a more appropriate outlet for anecdotal experiences with dipshit cagers. Here's a fun one:

A few weeks ago I knocked on the window of some Tesla to tell its driver to get off her phone. Her response?

"It's on autopilot."

Here's another one:

The other day someone tried to race me from a stoplight. On foot.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

Thanks to someone for linking this thread in the other moto threads, now I have a more appropriate outlet for anecdotal experiences with dipshit cagers. Here's a fun one:

A few weeks ago I knocked on the window of some Tesla to tell its driver to get off her phone. Her response?

"It's on autopilot."

Here's another one:

The other day someone tried to race me from a stoplight. On foot.

Like did they make revving noises with their mouth and look over at you?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Mister Speaker posted:

in america, especially with the current social mood, this is probably a real good way to get shot.

that said i have done it before and it's real satisfying. last time i knocked on someone's window it was because they were laying on their horn behind a guy who was trying to turn left at a no-left-turn sign...except the sign had active hours and it was not during those hours. please learn to read thank

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I tend not to gently caress directly with cars because, as mentioned, in the current American hellscape, touching someone else’s property is likely to get you hosed up by a giant metal box because “standin muh ground”

I will do the “hang up the phone” hand motion at you all fuckin day though

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Really hoping you took this with your phone for maximum irony

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Deeters posted:

Really hoping you took this with your phone for maximum irony

I've gotten really good at filming with my mouth.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Harleys have cruise control :colbert:

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Deeters posted:

Harleys have cruise control :colbert:

I'm on autopilot :colbert:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is it Jesus?

FlyFishinInnuendo
Apr 14, 2005
I called a local BMW dealer, curious what it would cost for a couple "just purchased a used bike" things - an oil change and new tires. I don't have a garage right now, so I'm theoretically willing to pay a little bit to avoid changing my oil on the street. They quoted me $180 loving DOLLARS (US) for an oil change. Oh, and they don't mount tires purchased elsewhere for "liability reasons".

I know I'm a cheap bastard, but is this normal (for BMWs)?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's normal for dealerships. It's still a ripoff.

An oil change will cost you less than 30 dollars to do yourself and it's a lot easier to do than on a car so I'd just do it in the street.

Tire mounting is a huge pain to do yourself, but any garage can do it, so just shop around. Some places will mount tires you bring in yourself, or give you a discount on the labor if you buy from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Martytoof posted:

Is it Jesus?

Jesus is really more of a Honda guy.