Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020

Enjoy posted:

Oh so now the Soviet armies reach Berlin without a problem?

And yes I think it would be seen as a fait accompli and an early start to the Cold War minus the millions who had to die from the Nazi genocide machine

Plenty of imperialists wanted to re-arm what was left of the Wehrmacht and charge east at the start of the cold war as it was, when France and Britain were exhausted, and the Red Army was obviously superior to any combination of forces that could have been assembled on the continent, and the fait accompli being accepted was control over eastern Europe, and a small, under developed part of Germany. In this scenario of yours, in which the Soviets are able to occupy Germany quickly, while its forces are otherwise engaged, if that all goes as you say, what are you left with? In all likelihood, largely intact French and German forces, both materially superior in their own right to the Red Army. To suggest Britain and France would accept the new status quo is absurd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Pomeroy posted:

Plenty of imperialists wanted to re-arm what was left of the Wehrmacht and charge east at the start of the cold war as it was, when France and Britain were exhausted, and the Red Army was obviously superior to any combination of forces that could have been assembled on the continent, and the fait accompli being accepted was control over eastern Europe, and a small, under developed part of Germany. In this scenario of yours, in which the Soviets are able to occupy Germany quickly, while its forces are otherwise engaged, if that all goes as you say, what are you left with? In all likelihood, largely intact French and German forces, both materially superior in their own right to the Red Army. To suggest Britain and France would accept the new status quo is absurd.

I'm sure Stalin would have done a variation on Yalta to keep everyone happy

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020

Enjoy posted:

I'm sure Stalin would have done a variation on Yalta to keep everyone happy

Yalta didn't "keep everyone happy," the imperialists accepted it because they were objectively too weak to do otherwise.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Enjoy, I have the power to make your counterfactual happen. I don’t need to explain myself here, other than you should mentally prepare yourself for the fact that when you close your eyes and fall asleep tonight, I am going to roll back history and possess Stalin with the singular thought to unilaterally invade Germany in 1940. You will wake up and be the only one to remember how everything unfolded originally. I hope you are confident in your predictions, because a lot of lives are at stake here.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

THS posted:

Enjoy, I have the power to make your counterfactual happen. I don’t need to explain myself here, other than you should mentally prepare yourself for the fact that when you close your eyes and fall asleep tonight, I am going to roll back history and possess Stalin with the singular thought to unilaterally invade Germany in 1940. You will wake up and be the only one to remember how everything unfolded originally. I hope you are confident in your predictions, because a lot of lives are at stake here.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

THS posted:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Pomeroy posted:

Yeah, there are multiple layers to this, 1. being assuming that Germany and its allies couldn't bog down a Soviet assault (they absolutely could) and 2. that the Western allies would absolutely would be cool with the Soviets dominating Central Europe while they were in a weakened state (zero chance). Also, this would have happened before the US was in the war so Britain and France would more or less be alone in trying to push back against Soviet influence...unless they just signed peace with Germany and let them hash it out themselves. Let's be honest, they would probably start helping the Germans out at some point if it started to get bad.

It was also the same reason the allies gave Poland a bunch of tanks (back then a novel invention) and arms in 1921 to stall Soviet advances. They didn't care about Poland, but they cared about the Soviets making their way into Germany and exporting revolution abroad.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

to break up endless ww2 chat, is there a good For Dummies source on a marxist view on monetary policy? as long as i've cared in the slightest about economics i've never understood it beyond "money is a commodity with a flexible value, you can control the value by loving around with banks" but i don't really know how or why. yes, i am reading capital, but i'd like a more introductory thing so i can get my head around it

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

StashAugustine posted:

to break up endless ww2 chat, is there a good For Dummies source on a marxist view on monetary policy? as long as i've cared in the slightest about economics i've never understood it beyond "money is a commodity with a flexible value, you can control the value by loving around with banks" but i don't really know how or why. yes, i am reading capital, but i'd like a more introductory thing so i can get my head around it

I would say the issue is that monetary policy is something that is pretty much evolving in real time (also prior to the 1970s most currencies worked in a different way).

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Enjoy posted:

Both of those are explicitly because the USSR was aligned with the Germans. If the USSR attacked Germany, then that would undercut the point of the operations.

Britain and France weren't looking for a USSR that was going to attack Germany. They wanted a post-Soviet Russia that was going to attack Germany. Operation Pike was intended to destabilize the USSR to the point of revolution against the current government - Trotsky had met with Daladier in 1933 specifically for this purpose.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

uncop posted:

I have a lot of fun imagining what people who mention being part of an organization and still threaten people with violence online are like irl, and what their orgs are like. Like, have their official meetings ever just devolved into screeching about how someone's an enemy of the revolution that deserves a bullet over some petty little issue?
You just gotta fly off the handle in the middle of the meeting and launch yourself across the room like Mighty Mouse and beat up whoever it is that talked smack about Uncle Joe!

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

Ardennes posted:

So you are saying the deaths of Soviet citizens at the hand of the Germans was really just Stalin's fault.

He's come to the same conclusions as the Ukrainian Nazi-funded Victims of Communism Memorial Foundation! Congratulations to him.

e: Beaten to this exact point pages back. Thread is good.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C-2RgK3WwA&t=3330s

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Prince Myshkin posted:

He's come to the same conclusions as the Ukrainian Nazi-funded Victims of Communism Memorial Foundation! Congratulations to him.

e: Beaten to this exact point pages back. Thread is good.

The Ukrainian Nazis hold the position that Stalin should have invaded Germany in 1940 in order to prevent the Holocaust?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
in response to "look at the death toll of the soviets from the nazi invasion", you replied

Enjoy posted:

Usually, when lots of people die, the leadership is seen as more culpable, not less
that the Soviet leadership is culpable for the deaths inflicted by the Nazis on the Soviet population during the Nazi invasion of the Soviet Union, ostensibly because the Soviet Union did not pre-empt the Nazis by launching their own invasion of Germany, is a conclusion drawn by fascists, yes

THS
Sep 15, 2017

last night i tried to engage in chrono-psychological mindwar with the Willpower of joseph stalin. guess i should have known i’d lose that one

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

THS posted:

last night i tried to engage in chrono-psychological mindwar with the Willpower of joseph stalin. guess i should have known i’d lose that one

Chin up! You'll get 'em next year.

uncop
Oct 23, 2010

Pomeroy posted:

I can't very well blame uncop for not answering, after my drunken outburst, but just for the sake of clarifying my own views, I think a pragmatic attitude towards questions of line and truth are dangerous, and ultimately fatal for communists.

To say that we uphold a line simply because it is directed against our enemies, by honest comrades, regardless of its factual correctness, while understandably tempting on a moral level, is damaging to our cause.

If we "caricature" our enemies with false accusations, or brush under the rug real difficulties, more broadly if we accept that it is permissible to be dishonest, whether in agitation or propaganda, we will do irreparable damage to the struggle.

A casual attitude to the truth, in every case, has longer term bad consequences that outweigh whatever momentary advantages it can offer.

If the party lies to the people, these are the possible results:

In the case of people outside the party, and outside the party's orbit, some will recognize the lie, will learn to mistrust the party. Some will not, but these people will be disoriented, and like a landmine we plant the possibility of later disillusionment.

In the case of cadre and supporters, we may disorient them, we may accustom them to accept whatever they hear from leadership, whether or not they understand it, which in the long run can only serve opportunist tendencies, or we may train them to be cynical in their communism, which again can only strengthen opportunism, or we may turn them against us, lead them to see us as cynical manipulators, and thereby drive principled workers out of our organizations.

Well, the whole pragmatism accusation was based on a misunderstanding, so trying to answer it as is would probably just have produced more. I agree with almost everything you say here. Let me try to correct the misunderstanding though:

My claim was that whether people were right can only be judged by practical results, and only once the results are in. It's a pretty basic claim about science that is at the root of both bourgeois and marxist philosophy of science. On the other hand, pragmatism's big claim is that there is nothing beyond practical results. According to its internal epistemology, trying to unify observations into universal truths through theory is useless. It's an anti-scientific, irrationalist philosophy, a revival of pure empiricism that reduces science to collecting statistics and finding data patterns. For it, all theory of such patterns is just collections of metaphors that can be switched up at will and don't need to be consistent with each other. So pragmatism definitely does imply a casual attitude to truth.

What makes pragmatism's attitude to truth casual is not that it emphasizes practical results, it's that it rejects rationality and theory. De-emphasizing practical results would not be a counterattack against casual attitudes, it would itself be a casual attitude and an attack against marxism. To marxism and all science, practice is principal to theory. Marxism has to expect and pre-empt incorrectness through a process of criticism and self-criticism that collects the practical experiences of the whole movement, identifies patterns behind failed expectations and convinces its individual members that those patterns are counterproductive.

Line is ideological rather than strictly scientific though, and has a more complex relationship to truth. When tackling novel or complex problems, no one has access to the whole truth. Having a line is necessary, but it's accidental if even a correct line is fully based on truth. The Bolshevik stance that a correct line is above critique until material conditions change was wrong, the correct stance is that knowledge contradicting a correct line is going to uncovered in the process of criticism and self-criticism simply because correct communist practice is based on incomplete knowledge. There are no correct lines that are based on complete knowledge, because that'd just be ineffectually tailing some actually successful movement whose practice is producing the necessary knowledge for the tailists.

The correctness of a line has more to do with keeping the movement together and strengthening it despite an endless stream of mistakes. A correct line can even embrace pretty blatant untruths, although that's always walking a thin line because those untruths have to be unraveled before they become hindrances to further development. On the contrary to what you're saying, it's damaging to assume that just because someone's principled and capable, they are always speaking the truth in official capacity. If the movement as a whole makes that assumption, questioning the truth-value of their statements then becomes questioning their authority, an attack on the movement's coherence and the correct line. Both wishful thinking and outright deception are part of politics in both its peaceful and warlike forms. The whole idea of communism is wishful thinking until the moment that it actually exists in reality, but it has to be treated as if it were a prophetic, unquestionable truth. It's far more productive to normalize even the greatest leaders often having incorrect ideas and being reliant on others to set them straight. Then, correcting an incorrect line doesn't have the potential to weaken the movement and thrust it into a fatal catch-22.

uncop
Oct 23, 2010
Quote is not edit, lol.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/vampitolbs/status/1284094567017480193?s=20

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

100% deserved the pick

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

lmao

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
truly he deserved what he got

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

He's not wrong, he's just an rear end in a top hat.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Steve Buscemi as trotsky

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Mr Pinko

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

GalacticAcid posted:

Steve Buscemi as trotsky

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Enjoy posted:

A Soviet attack on both Poland and Finland did not result in this so zero
Cmon you're not even trying now

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
why do I have to be mr pinko and he gets to be mr white?

everyone: whoa I'm not mr white!

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Why is focus on the Soviet failure to stop the Germans when the Japanese were waging an imperialist war against China for years at that point. The Soviets also had a recent victory against Japan as well, showing they could win. Japan was also a member of the anti-Comintern pact.

What is Stalin's excuse for not liberating Manchuria?

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Atrocious Joe posted:

Why is focus on the Soviet failure to stop the Germans when the Japanese were waging an imperialist war against China for years at that point. The Soviets also had a recent victory against Japan as well, showing they could win. Japan was also a member of the anti-Comintern pact.

because the japanese mostly genocided asian people

Goast fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 17, 2020

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Atrocious Joe posted:

What is Stalin's excuse for not liberating Manchuria?

Japan weren't a threat to the USSR like Germany

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
lol that’s enough

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

GalacticAcid posted:

lol that’s enough

enough of what

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
I’m looking at pictures of the red army, and that poo poo is definitely canvas or olive. like maybe a few a sashes of red, MAYBE. why do communists perpetuate these lies???

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Centrist Committee posted:

I’m looking at pictures of the red army, and that poo poo is definitely canvas or olive. like maybe a few a sashes of red, MAYBE. why do communists perpetuate these lies???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uncop
Oct 23, 2010

Centrist Committee posted:

Would you prefer trotskys aesthetics?