Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Being that popular and not figuring out how to make any money basically means that Minecraft is the Twitter of videogames and that sounds about right.

In 2014, pre-Microsoft, Mojang reported in financial documents that Minecraft brought in approximately 330 million dollars in revenue and 128 million dollars in profit over the previous year according to https://www.wsj.com/articles/minecraft-makers-profit-soars-1395140019. This is before realms and before the in-game marketplace. I very highly doubt that Minecraft is not making money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I mean I guess that makes sense, it's not like a studio has ever had problems making money after Microsoft acquired them :laugh:

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Only thing more popular than Minecraft is Roblox. I don't know why you guys think Minecraft is doing bad.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I've said multiple times I'm sure it's doing great. It's just absolutely not doing 2/3rds of a Lucasfilm great.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

im pretty sure the math for mojang vs lucasfilm is entirely different because they could buy mojang with money sitting offshore and didnt have to bring it to the us and incur a bunch of taxes

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

drat turns out im the smart thread poster https://www.ibtimes.com/minecraft-nokia-skype-how-microsoft-buys-overseas-companies-avoid-us-taxes-1693869

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Lucasfilm was like the bargain of the century. If you want crazy corporate purchases look at the money AT&T have been splurging out to buy media companies. They dropped $49 billion to buy DirecTV then followed that up with $85 billion to buy Time Warner.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Super No Vacancy posted:

smart thread poster

What is a 21st century cryptid, Alex?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

American McGay posted:

Fortnite is about 80m active players a month, Minecraft is 125m. Not sure about PUBG because it's PUBG.

pubg active monthly players is like, 200m+. the only thing that gets more playtime is the chinese cs clone crossfire. both are really popular in asia generally which fortnite and minecraft arent to the same extent.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
Phil Spencer gave an interview to some German publications. Part of the interview talked about Microsoft's support of the Xbox One for the next few years, which was discussed a few pages back.

quote:

The thing you'll see on the 23rd is we're giving our studios real creative freedom to build the games that they envision.

As you know we've added a lot of studios to the Xbox Game Studios organization over the last few years and providing them the financial stability, the creative freedom to go build the games that they want to go build, and our game creators want to build great games that can reach a large audience of players.

So I think what you hear Matt [Booty] talking about and what our creators will say is we have a vision for every game that we're building and the vision starts with the player, not the device. If a creator comes to us and says 'No, I really want to focus on next generation with their games, we're completely open to that and we're very supportive of that.

If a creator comes to us and says I have this vision for reaching these customers across different platforms and different generations we're completely supportive of that.

It is really about our creators having choice and allowing them to build the games that they want to build to reach the audience that they're looking for and not things that we're mandating to our creators in terms of what they have to go do.

It's not our rules for our platform it's more about creators creating the games that they want to go build looking ahead.

(Transcript is from here and the video can be viewed here.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

On the face of it that's great. No doubt this thread will have a different point of view overall.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Still willing to bet GTA5 made/makes more money off those 130m than Minecraft does off those 200m

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

TheScott2K posted:

Still willing to bet GTA5 made/makes more money off those 130m than Minecraft does off those 200m

Popularity can be addressed any number of ways but it seems pretty well established that GTAV is the most profitable single title in the history of selling things for entertainment. Which is wild.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
I haven't really played games since my son was born in 2014. If I understand this Project xCloud correctly, come September I will be able to play this giant library of games on most screens (PC, compatible mobile devices) without owning a console for $14.99 / mo (+ the price of a compatible controller)?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Yes with significant input lag that depends a lot on your connection quality and distance from the servers

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

ethanol posted:

Yes with significant input lag that depends a lot on your connection quality

Yeah, but I can live with that. I really just want to be able to play FO: New Vegas on the couch while my wife watches Bravo.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

Good god who gives a poo poo?

Minecraft makes money. Sorry if that is offensive but while they may not have made all of it back (they are probably close if not already there) it wasn’t some terrible buy for them.

I’m just hoping xcloud still releases for iOS. If it does I’m definitely setting up a game pass subscription.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Sock The Great posted:

Yeah, but I can live with that. I really just want to be able to play FO: New Vegas on the couch while my wife watches Bravo.

Then yes, you might be able to live the gaming fantasy months from now!

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Sock The Great posted:

There are some caveats.

1. If you are on iOS, it's unclear what the state of the app will be by then. Right now, it's an Apple Testflight app and you can only play Halo 5. The Android app is full-featured and works well even on an old Fire 8 tablet.
2. While Fallout: New Vegas is currently a Game Pass game, it might get removed at any point in the future (with warning). Also, DLC is not included, but you can buy it at a discount.

Honestly, if you have good internet it's a totally acceptable way to play. I'm sure there will be a $1 trial month available when this launches.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Zerot posted:

There are some caveats.

1. If you are on iOS, it's unclear what the state of the app will be by then. Right now, it's an Apple Testflight app and you can only play Halo 5. The Android app is full-featured and works well even on an old Fire 8 tablet.
2. While Fallout: New Vegas is currently a Game Pass game, it might get removed at any point in the future (with warning). Also, DLC is not included, but you can buy it at a discount.

Honestly, if you have good internet it's a totally acceptable way to play. I'm sure there will be a $1 trial month available when this launches.

Thanks for the heads up. We are definitely primarily as iOS household, but I'd be willing to buy a cheap tablet for this purpose. You mentioned it works on a Fire 8; so the expectation is that this will be available in Amazon's App store or did you do this with side loading?

I usually get 100 - 120 mbps up and 15 - 20 mbps up. I'm way too old for twitchy, shooter type games now; just want something I can play a few RPG and action games on on that I've missed out on over the last 6+ years.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Sock The Great posted:

Thanks for the heads up. We are definitely primarily as iOS household, but I'd be willing to buy a cheap tablet for this purpose. You mentioned it works on a Fire 8; so the expectation is that this will be available in Amazon's App store or did you do this with side loading?

I usually get 100 - 120 mbps up and 15 - 20 mbps up. I'm way too old for twitchy, shooter type games now; just want something I can play a few RPG and action games on on that I've missed out on over the last 6+ years.

I've sideloaded the Google Play Store onto mine and I'm not sure if it will be available on Amazon's app store. The Xbox and Xbox Game Pass apps appear to be there, so that bodes well if you don't want to do any sideloading.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

TheScott2K posted:

So? Just because Minecraft isn't pulling GTA5 profit doesn't mean it isn't printing an ungodly amount of money.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Zerot posted:

Phil Spencer gave an interview to some German publications. Part of the interview talked about Microsoft's support of the Xbox One for the next few years, which was discussed a few pages back.

(Transcript is from here and the video can be viewed here.

this is clearly a walk back of what they previously had stated in no uncertain terms lol

"As our content comes out over the next year, two years, all of our games, sort of like PC, will play up and down that family of devices," Booty tells MCV. "We want to make sure that if someone invests in Xbox between now and [Series X] that they feel that they made a good investment and that we're committed to them with content."

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
or they mean any projects from now will be free to go next gen only, and the ones already in dev for the first year or two are going to be xbone compatible

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Stux posted:

or they mean any projects from now will be free to go next gen only, and the ones already in dev for the first year or two are going to be xbone compatible
This is the charitable but realistic way of looking at it, yes.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Just beat Shantae and the Seven Sirens.

I gotta say that...Rottytops is a really lovely friend. Sky is right, I have no idea why Shantae is friends with her.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

So? Just because Minecraft isn't pulling GTA5 profit doesn't mean it isn't printing an ungodly amount of money.

$2.5 billion is so much money

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
its a very large amount of money. very large indeed. huge you could say.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
would like to see $2.5 billion stacked up in a parking lot to get a good sense of scale

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

TheScott2K posted:

Maybe for you.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Popularity can be addressed any number of ways but it seems pretty well established that GTAV is the most profitable single title in the history of selling things for entertainment. Which is wild.

Do you have sources for your claims? Not debating, just interested. I love reading about this poo poo.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/this-violent-videogame-has-made-more-money-than-any-movie-ever-2018-04-06

And that's from a year ago lol

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Friend, I know, but 2018 was 2 years ago.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
:wow:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I'm in my late 30's a year goes by and I don't even know what the gently caress

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
2018 was a century ago

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

TheScott2K posted:

And Minecraft is a very valuable IP.

It earns more or less (often more) than $100 million per year on mobile alone. Add in merchandising and spinoffs and it rakes in a lot of cash.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jul 18, 2020

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think its an odd position to hold that a game which sold 150 million copies and has 120 million active monthly users with monthly subscriptions, microtransactions, and merchandising deals out the wazoo could not have made half as much money as a game that sold 120 million copies.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Barudak posted:

I think its an odd position to hold that a game which sold 150 million copies and has 120 million active monthly users with monthly subscriptions, microtransactions, and merchandising deals out the wazoo could not have made half as much money as a game that sold 120 million copies.

That Microsoft Magic, baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

punk rebel ecks posted:

And Minecraft is a very valuable IP.

It earns more or less (often more) than $100 million per year on mobile alone. Add in merchandising and spinoffs and it rakes in a lot of cash.

lol you cant say often more when linking an article from 2019 saying mobile had its best year ever at $110 mil cmon, people are going to click the link. try harder. the actual article makes it sound more like they hit over $100 million in 2018 and then pushed up a bit more from that in 2019.