Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Torchlight 2 is fine, but not particularly great or exciting or even very tough. If Torchlight 3 stays the course though then Torchlight 2 might be the last decent Torchlight, so there's that.

But Path of Exile already exists and is already free, so eh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah, when you have the options of Grim Dawn, Path of Exile and Diablo III there is zero reason at all to play torchlight II, even if it’s free.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, when you have the options of Grim Dawn, Path of Exile and Diablo III there is zero reason at all to play torchlight II, even if it’s free.

Did modding do nothing to help?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

THE BAR posted:

Did modding do nothing to help?

nope.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
I've now gone a step beyond not remembering I've bought games on Steam to not remembering receiving free games on other services. I opened Uplay to make sure the Watch_Dogs 2 thing went through, and was surprised to find Watch_Dogs 1 right next to it. I don't know how that got there, but I definitely didn't buy it. There's also six Assassin's Creed games I never paid for. My backlog of free games could eat up the rest of my life, never mind the backlog of games I've bought.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

A good poster posted:

I've now gone a step beyond not remembering I've bought games on Steam to not remembering receiving free games on other services. I opened Uplay to make sure the Watch_Dogs 2 thing went through, and was surprised to find Watch_Dogs 1 right next to it. I don't know how that got there, but I definitely didn't buy it. There's also six Assassin's Creed games I never paid for. My backlog of free games could eat up the rest of my life, never mind the backlog of games I've bought.

The first Watch_Dogs was an Epic giveaway a while back. A bunch of rear end Creeds have been given away too.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
WD1 was given by Ubi a long while ago, I think before EGS even existed. I got The Crew from the same event iirc

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Especially when Path of Exile is itself free. I tried Torchlight II after burning out on PoE, and ended up just stepping away from ARPGs for a bit instead.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I have watch dogs from games with gold.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I disagree. I found a lot of fun mods for TL2, and enjoyed it.

Then again, I don't like POE, and I got tired of Grim Dawn's billion elements really quickly.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Sleeveless posted:

Torchlight was basically methodone for fans of Diablo-likes in the dry spell between Diablo 2 clones being a thing and the release of Diablo 3 and the flood of quality indie ARPGs that followed. I don't really know how well it would hold up.

This is an apt description of Torchlight. It's hard though, to put a finger on why it (and Diablo 3 to a lesser extent) don't scratch the Diablo itch that well for many. Torchlight is "Can we have Diablo? We already have Diablo at home".

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It’s one of those that you should only be playing with friends. Like Hammerwatch.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Zesty posted:

It’s one of those that you should only be playing with friends. Like Hammerwatch.

If I had friends, why would I be playing computer video games :confused:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Over at GOG, Warhammer 40k: Rites of War is free for the next 48-ish hours.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Wishing for kart racer Warhammer 40K rites of way

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

El_Elegante posted:

Would unironically totally grab this day one, regardless of the gameplay.

Also a version like Rocket League.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

El_Elegante posted:

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
That would be so sick

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Eh, Orks would win all races anyway, just by painting their vehicle red. It's kind of unfair to all them other species.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

You'd think that, but somehow Ork Dastardly and his pet squig always come last due to some ignominious plot backfiring. But there's always next time on 40k Races!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Saoshyant posted:

Eh, Orks would win all races anyway, just by painting their vehicle red. It's kind of unfair to all them other species.

:hai:

tight aspirations posted:

You'd think that, but somehow Ork Dastardly and his pet squig always come last due to some ignominious plot backfiring. But there's always next time on 40k Races!

*:hai: intensifies*

Kheldarn posted:

Then again, I don't like POE, and I got tired of Grim Dawn's billion elements really quickly.

yeah i should probably have pointed out as part of this discussion that ARPGs are very weirdly to taste and you might end up liking it for poorly defined or literally no reason because fans of the genre frequently have a difficult time agreeing on what makes things good and what makes things bad.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Saoshyant posted:

That's why Speed Freeks is all Ork.

I remember a long, long time ago at my LGS we were kinda working on a system for an actual all-factions-allowed WH40K tabletop racing/free-for-all system with an actual track, like Carmageddon but tabletop-based. It never came to anything because big oof at balancing that and no one else wanted to just go for it with the rules-as-written and, you know, playtest it for balance?

In retrospect I should have just pressed harder on the "gently caress it let's just run it and see what happens" angle.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Dungeon Rushers has landed in the Twitch Prime hole.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

tight aspirations posted:

*hurriedly scrolls up to see if Ork Dastardly was in that picture*

Aw :(

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Coolguye posted:

yeah i should probably have pointed out as part of this discussion that ARPGs are very weirdly to taste and you might end up liking it for poorly defined or literally no reason because fans of the genre frequently have a difficult time agreeing on what makes things good and what makes things bad.

diablo's direct ancestors are roguelikes, so this checks out

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Kheldarn posted:

What mods are you using, there's a metric gently caress ton on nexusmods.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Skwirl posted:

What mods are you using, there's a metric gently caress ton on nexusmods.

I used various ones from Steam. I didn't even know about the existance of NexusMods when I was playing. I ended up having to download their tool that lets you make your own mods so that I could combine all of the Does 1 Thing mods.

Looking at the Workshop page, I'm subsribed to:
SynergiesMOD
Generic Rewards - Multi Classmod Fix
Showing Secret Rooms
Ehchantable Pet Accessories
Unusable Items Are Dark
HUD Expanse
Silent Narrator
Indicators Premium
Ripper's Armory
[Golden Chest] With Uniques
Unique Beams
Map Keybinds (Toggle & Hold)
Better Loot Colors
Fish Details
BAGMOD

And then I had these various mods for new classes:
The Double Agent
Emberblade
Far East Pack
Reaver
Drew's Class Pack

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

The first Diablo is a roguelike.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
i will end you for your sacrilege

the defining traits of a roguelike are: ancient runes being used to simulate graphics, a day night cycle with four simultaneous days, and the ability to transform walls into bananas so i can eat them

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Samuringa posted:

The first Diablo is a roguelike.

The first Guild Wars is a Diablo :can:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Lutha Mahtin posted:

The first Guild Wars is a Diablo :can:

the first guild wars was a team deathmatch/ctf arena

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Action RPGs are such a weird genre for me. I hardly like any of then to be honest, not even Diablo 2 TBH. I hated the first Torchlight and bounced off the second. But, I loved the Champions of Norrath and Baldur's Gate games for PS2. Plus I played through Titan Quest + Expansion way way way too many times.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Lutha Mahtin posted:

It also checks out because if you dissect Diablo 2 into its constituent parts it's a pile of bizarre mechanics and obfuscation, but taken altogether it's one of the best games ever made.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Console Diablo 3 ruined me for arpgs because it's just way less fun for me to play kb/m. Controller makes it very easy to just veg out and roll through the game

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

D3 is pretty unique among arpgs i've played for getting you rolling towards becoming an unstoppable murderball pretty early

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

site posted:

Console Diablo 3 ruined me for arpgs because it's just way less fun for me to play kb/m. Controller makes it very easy to just veg out and roll through the game

Keyboard movement is an acceptable substitute, at least for me, but that's almost as rare as controller support.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Is there a game that did Diablo but as a twin stick shooter?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I feel like Torchlight 1 had merit at the time (and I'd argue still does to an extent) for being a take on Diablo 1, something not done in years because every other game was trying to be Diablo 2. Then Torchlight 2 came to the party late trying to be Diablo 2 while all of its contemporaries were busy finally moving the genre forward a bit. Made all the worse because the streamlined, casual-friendly approach T1 took was a good fit but applying the same to D2's framework is no easy feat and clearly they didn't nail it.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I have no idea but if you like twin stick shooters you should play Assault Android Cactus if you haven’t already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Not that I know of, but there are good twin stick roguelites such out there, such as Nuclear Throne and Enter the Gungeon.