Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

LastGoodBoy posted:

I just hated Turbo because it made no sense plot wise. "We're arguably the most powerful Rangers and we won... Anyone else want to trade in our Zeo powers for weaker car poo poo?"

Hence that idea I've talked about before for a comic set during the period between In Space and Lightspeed Rescue on Earth showing some new threats arising(kinda like the idea of introducing a main continuity version of Ivan Ooze) and someone(I'm leaning towards Billy) forming a new team using all the Zeo stuff just lying around(since we never saw any of it get destroyed or anything), as well as some of the other stuff from the Zordon era that never got blown up either(Dragonzord, Titanus, Tor, all of the stuff from Season 3, and Artillatron), maybe if the rights could be lined up use it to cover loose ends for the rest of Saban's toku adaptations as well(since I don't recall any of them having actual endings)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Burkion posted:

Possibly. That's something that happens with other shows as well.

It might be tied up with whoever animated it, since that wasn't Tsuburaya themselves to my knowledge.

With Japanese stuff it's also quite possible there's musical rights involved as well.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

It was this according to Kevin during the KaijuConline talk.

Did they say it in a "it's complicated, we're working on it" way or a "It's not happening" way?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

drrockso20 posted:

Hence that idea I've talked about before for a comic set during the period between In Space and Lightspeed Rescue on Earth showing some new threats arising(kinda like the idea of introducing a main continuity version of Ivan Ooze) and someone(I'm leaning towards Billy) forming a new team using all the Zeo stuff just lying around(since we never saw any of it get destroyed or anything), as well as some of the other stuff from the Zordon era that never got blown up either(Dragonzord, Titanus, Tor, all of the stuff from Season 3, and Artillatron), maybe if the rights could be lined up use it to cover loose ends for the rest of Saban's toku adaptations as well(since I don't recall any of them having actual endings)

Some slapdash team scrounging up MM1-3/Zeo/Turbo/In Space gear to face a threat not quite big enough to support an entire series in one of the Forgotten Years sounds like a perfect fit for the comics. They could even work Lightspeed and proto-SPD or GBS into it for tech support.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 17, 2020

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Gripweed posted:

Did they say it in a "it's complicated, we're working on it" way or a "It's not happening" way?

He said it would have to be done as a separate deal but didn’t say if that was being pursued at this time but insinuated it was in the cards since there were other negotiations to come with things like Ultraman Taiga (which was made after the deal with Tsubu).

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Geostomp posted:

Some slapdash team scrounging up MM1-3/Zeo/Turbo/In Space gear to face a threat not quite big enough to support an entire series in one of the Forgotten Years sounds like a perfect fit for the comics. They could even work Lightspeed and proto-SPD or GBS into it for tech support.

My thoughts exactly

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

drrockso20 posted:

I would be super into that idea. We didn't really get to see much of Titanus.

Bad joke, but for real I'm super on board with that idea. I thought the Ninja stuff got destroyed, though.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

LastGoodBoy posted:

I would be super into that idea. We didn't really get to see much of Titanus.

Bad joke, but for real I'm super on board with that idea. I thought the Ninja stuff got destroyed, though.

The Ninja stuff got paradoxed back to where it was

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Burkion posted:

The Ninja stuff got paradoxed back to where it was

It did? Are you talking about that one Tommy appearance where he uses the Falconzord?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

LastGoodBoy posted:

It did? Are you talking about that one Tommy appearance where he uses the Falconzord?

They used the Falconzord during Alien Rangers as well because of a remote Billy made earlier in the season. How Tommy got it in the Ninja Steel crossover though is beyond me.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

LastGoodBoy posted:

No I'm being literal.

All of the Ninja powers got Paradoxed back into dormancy along with their Zords. It was the Thunder Zords that were flat out destroyed. In theory, and in practice now that we've seen it, the Rangers could have gone back to Ninjor to regain their Ninja zords and such.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Burkion posted:

No I'm being literal.

All of the Ninja powers got Paradoxed back into dormancy along with their Zords. It was the Thunder Zords that were flat out destroyed. In theory, and in practice now that we've seen it, the Rangers could have gone back to Ninjor to regain their Ninja zords and such.

The Ninja Power Coins themselves were in fact destroyed though (we see them get turned to dust on screen).

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Larryb posted:

The Ninja Power Coins themselves were in fact destroyed though (we see them get turned to dust on screen).

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. From what I've been led to believe by the series, the coins are the bottom brick. Pull that out and the rest falls, too.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Ninjor himself just sort of vanished by that point. I like to think he just cut off all contact with the original team to work with the many ninja schools in New Zeal- California because those guys would actually stick to the theme. He saw the Ninja Steel crew as unworthy of his attention.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Geostomp posted:

Ninjor himself just sort of vanished by that point. I like to think he just cut off all contact with the original team to work with the many ninja schools in New Zeal- California because those guys would actually stick to the theme. He saw the Ninja Steel crew as unworthy of his attention.

Ninjor had the most punchable voice.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
the cowards should've had Tommy wear his ninja pyjamas for part of the fight against the evil clone since they brought back the Falconzord

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Burkion posted:

No I'm being literal.

and they should have been unparadoxed out of dormancy once the zeo crystal reverted time. With the coins destroyed they just didn't have access to the powers. It's a wonder that Ninjor never checked back in after time went back to normal.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

mateo360 posted:

and they should have been unparadoxed out of dormancy once the zeo crystal reverted time. With the coins destroyed they just didn't have access to the powers. It's a wonder that Ninjor never checked back in after time went back to normal.

I figure they did and thus have just been sitting in a cave waiting for someone to use them again

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

mateo360 posted:

Ninjor: "They're probably fine. It's really none of my business."

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Darn, that Jamila episode is a real bummer

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Welp, Jugglus showed up.. looks like he will be making a career of making life difficult for Zett.. is he going to be the 'teaching rear end in a top hat' for Zett that he doesn't really need?

Next Episode: Ultraman Geed guest-stars! And Riku is there too! And Jugglus has his own Z-Riser!

Will Jugglus recognize Geed from the Connect The Wishes movie? Who the hell knows!

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jul 18, 2020

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Homora Gaykemi posted:

Darn, that Jamila episode is a real bummer

Yep.

Yep.

One of my favorites

Binary Badger posted:

Welp, Jugglus showed up.. looks like he will be making a career of making life difficult for Zett.. is he going to be the 'teaching rear end in a top hat' for Zett that he doesn't really need?

Next Episode: Ultraman Geed guest-stars! And Riku is there too! And Jugglus has his own Z-Riser!

Will Jugglus recognize Geed from the Connect The Wishes movie? Who the hell knows!

So far, still a nicer mentor than UltraSeven was

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Super fun episode of Zett. The dog on the billboard is the director's, by the way.

Takao Nakano will be writing episode 10 also. Good to have Juggler back to his usual troublemaking ways!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

"You dirty penguin!"

Man, did Peguila get an upgrade of his powers or what..

Juggler gonna juggle, keeps saving people at the last moment without being asked..

Hmm, never seen an Ultra weapon like the Z Lance Arrow.. Zett literally one-shotted two monsters with it without raising a sweat..

Guess that technician is implying that Windom is more powerful than Sevengar. Cool that Haruki could set Sevengar to auto-fire the rocket fist if anything got too close..

'Hey Peguila, remember this? Looks like you do!'

Peguila recognizes the Z Lance and is scared shitless

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jul 18, 2020

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Also lmbo at this conbini sign

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Also lmbo at this conbini sign

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlREUROGwpI

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
good episode. It was great to see my boy Peguila again, the shot from inside the car was cool, and I was so happy that Haruki didn't get a little plastic spear to wiggle along with Ultraman. They didn't repeat the mistake of the Orbcalibur

Disappointed in that scientist lady. Humanity absolutely had the ability to make a stone tool that looked that 30,000 years ago. That's near the end of the stone age.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Honestly I was disappointed in this episode. Lots of really good moments, but no payoff. The "not Orb's lance we swear" toy being the issue here, since it just one-shot both enemies no big deal, ruining all dramatic tension and destroying what could've been cool fights otherwise.

Juggler being back should've been neat even if I don't like the guy, and I genuinely super liked how his entire transformation scene is this big Orb homage with him using Gai's void clothes and parroting his lines ("monster-san! I'll be borrowing your darkness!") but the whole thing ends up being super toothless because new toy is just immensely powerful so Juggler does nothing in battle.

Sigh. I'm cool with toys, I really am. But this is the worst loving way to show them. At least don't bring Juggler back in the same episode you want to show off the new toy so his reappearance doesn't feel utterly pointless.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Goddammit... I want the robot dog...

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
I'm generally pretty neutral on the manga monster redesigns. They work well for a sci-fi action fight series, but they tend to be a bit samey. Buff sci-fi dudes just with different shaped heads.

But the manga Nova is pretty great

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Were the Axem Rangers from Super Mario RPG a Sentai pastiche in the original Japanese, too?

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Junpei posted:

Were the Axem Rangers from Super Mario RPG a Sentai pastiche in the original Japanese, too?

Without question, yes. Their Japanese name is Ono Renjā,. Their color scheme doesn't match any Sentai though, so it's more a general parody than anything.

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness

Blaze Dragon posted:

Honestly I was disappointed in this episode. Lots of really good moments, but no payoff. The "not Orb's lance we swear" toy being the issue here, since it just one-shot both enemies no big deal, ruining all dramatic tension and destroying what could've been cool fights otherwise.

The lance is literally Orb's lance. Not in a "they just repainted it" way. Gai is a very old Ultra and in Chapter 6 of the Orb Chronicle, he fights a Peguila on Earth (Most likely with the Lance) (Source is Orb Chozenshu), and the light symbolism is pretty stand-out given that's Orb's schtick. Peguila's defeat at the hands of Orb in chapter 6 is how Juggler got Maga-Basser's card. This, plus Juggler's appearance, is a pretty big hint we're likely gonna see Gai return.

Also, the cinematography in the latest episode was excellent, Takanori Tsujimoto is really a loving ace for Ultraman directors. The flying fight in particular really stood out to me, it gave me Ultraman Nexus vibes, and most of the ground action reminded me of the kind of action you see from Teruaki Sugihara's Sentai and Rider episodes.

Next episode starts a trilogy of Sakamoto-directed episodes, however, so that'll be even more exciting!

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
Yeah, I liked the rest of the episode but didn't care much for that Toy Ex Machina. I also hope the show doesn't get too bogged down in its returning cast, because I haven't seen those shows yet!

I resumed my Mebius watch, though, and I'm slowly closing in on the endgame. From what I gather, after that I'll be wanting to watch the Zero movies, followed by Orb, maybe some other stuff and eventually Geed?

Sidenote: Why are the Mother and Father of Ultra's names not officially translated as Ultramom and Ultradad? That would have been much better, if you ask me.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Fred is on posted:

Sidenote: Why are the Mother and Father of Ultra's names not officially translated as Ultramom and Ultradad? That would have been much better, if you ask me.

Too informal, but you can call them Marie and Ken if you'd like since that's their names.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
I finished Ultraman Orb: The Origin Saga. First off, the name is a bit misleading. You'd think it's gonna be about the origin of Ultraman Orb, but it's more like

1: Juggler's backstory
2: It's own sci-fi story
3: A big Ultraman meetup
4: Ultraman Orb's first mission.

It's pretty good. It made Juggler a much deeper character than the show did, it had good monster fights, I liked the alien characters, Evolt's actor is always good, and now I'm even more excited to eventually watch Ultraman Cosmos. Not as entertaining as the regular Ultraman Orb show, but still a pretty good giant monster sci-fi time.

If after watching Ultraman Orb you want more Orb, you won't go wrong with The Origin Saga

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
But, oh man, giving Orb another slightly different form that looks just like his regular form but with the black parts colored red? FOH out of here with that. It's already hard enough to tell the difference between all these Ultramen without tiny variations like that.

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness
Orb: Origin Saga is kind of misleading as a name since the original plan for Orb was to have ten "Chapters" of his life as part of the "Orb Chronicle." His show is chapter 6, Orb: The Movie is chapter 7, and Ultra Fight Orb is chapter 9. Origin Saga is just chapter 1, meaning it's not his full origins. The full set of chapters are described in the Orb Chozenshu, and most of Gai and Juggler's more interesting details (Like Juggler's friend/stalker Biranki who is acts as an antagonist a few times) leading up to the show are 4 chapters that will likely never hit any screen.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah I think that’s the saddest part of Orb. Maybe there will eventually be manga, or more likely, novels.

I’m still wondering how Juggler hot his crescent scar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
I like Ultraman Orb, and Gai, but I do not believe Gai is a strong enough protagonist to support that much content.

Maybe if he learned a second song...