Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

First time ever trying freehand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Omar al-Bishie posted:

how do you go about painting black daemon flesh?

I can't give any direct advice, I can think of a few methods that might work but I haven't tested any of them. The answer can vary a lot depending on what you're comfortable with, what techniques you want to use, and what tools you have (airbrush vs. brush painting).

You might want to search for tutorials on painting Drow or Uruk-hai, they'd probably get you close.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
Look up tutorials on painting Salamander Space Marine skin. I don't know how well that might scale to Daemon Prince size models, but it should be a good start

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency

Deified Data posted:

Painted a big garbage heap with some rats on it

gently caress I love Skaven poo poo. You've done them beautiful justice here.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Is Vallejo Premium Airbrush range good for miniatures? Looks like it’s more designed for use with toy cars. But my local hobby shop has some and I liked the look of their basic yellow and bright red to use on a blood angels army, and liked that it comes in a bigger bottle so i could keep everything super consistent

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Omar al-Bishie posted:

how do you go about painting black daemon flesh?

The AoS FB page just posted this

Looks something like black base -> The Fang layer ->Thunderhawk Blue highlight but that’s just my guess

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
I've been doing some painting for the last few weeks:
Captain:

Lieutenant:

Judiciar:

Eradicator Squad:

Assault Intercessors:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

gently caress dude those yellows are beautiful

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency

Booley posted:

I've been doing some painting for the last few weeks:
Captain:

Lieutenant:

Judiciar:

Eradicator Squad:

Assault Intercessors:

The OSL on the judicar's eyes is top notch, well done.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I need a new work painting desk for my office hobby room. Can any one recommend a decently sized desk to help narrow my choices.

The desk also also be used for work

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Ropes4u posted:

I need a new work painting desk for my office hobby room. Can any one recommend a decently sized desk to help narrow my choices.

The desk also also be used for work

Just get something from Ikea. You can go cheap and get a Linmon (which comes on multiple sizes), with some Adils legs, or splash out on a hardwood Gerton tabletop if you want something sturdier/nicer.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Just get something from Ikea. You can go cheap and get a Linmon (which comes on multiple sizes), with some Adils legs, or splash out on a hardwood Gerton tabletop if you want something sturdier/nicer.

Also check out the Business Solutions lines of Ikea desks, the one I have is HUGE and is super sturdy, but it doesn't look like the sell my exact model anymore. :(

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I got an Apothecary done today that I started yesterday, probably the fastest I've completed a model!

Edit: Yes, his left arm is disproportionate. I painted it separate from the body and didn't realize the difference lol

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jul 16, 2020

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

You can't really get the non primaris apothecary anymore, right? Not off games workshop anyway.

WT Wally
Feb 19, 2004

There's one in this command squad kit:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Space-Marine-Command-Squad

EDIT: I missed the "out of stock" part :(

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Long term project finally finished. Had this one lying around since the kit originally came out. Suspension and wheels is the old Victoria Miniatures APC suspension if anyone wants to know. Just get the new one if you can, trust me.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

WT Wally posted:

There's one in this command squad kit:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Space-Marine-Command-Squad

EDIT: I missed the "out of stock" part :(

This is still good info as I *think* my FLGS has a few of these kits around.

Arili
Oct 7, 2010
Cross post:

Arili posted:

Hi everyone,

I'm The Salynne In The OP.

I have been working on this Warbringer Nemesis Titan for Legio Vulpa since March 13th, and it wasn't painted at all until this started.

After being challenged I set out to really try to finish this to my painting standards by the deadline but unfortunately I only made it about 95% of the way there. That said, I think you would be remiss not to count this after 300+ hours of work. I am close enough that I will finish this weekend.

The main reason I agreed to do something so intense to such a high standard is because I wanted to make an impression to talk about my chosen charity, the Okra Project.

https://www.theokraproject.com/

This charity is dedicated to helping black trans lives for the better, including feeding them. As a double whammy of marginalized groups, they are hit hard by coronavirus. If you have anything you are planning to spare for charity and aren't sure where to put that money, please consider The Okra Project.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Getting dirty

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Holy poo poo there’s some fine-looking work on this page. Just pretend I quoted them all, they’re all terrific. Y’all talented and dedicated.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
frostgrave/oathmark kitbash

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Goddamn I love your work, nebalebadingdong

Also your name is fun as hell to say out loud

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
Xpsot from 30k forum.

Major Spag posted:

Some thing me do. Paint gud, did me.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

goodness posted:

Getting dirty

This is disgusting. It makes me ill. Probably the best compliment I can give.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Gameko posted:

This is disgusting. It makes me ill. Probably the best compliment I can give.

Then check this out

and that is the end of my DG infantry, 21 Plague Marines, a Lord, and 7 blight terminators. Until 9th edition came out...besides having less units I don't really know how my army list will be changing but I still have 3 tanks left!

goodness fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jul 17, 2020

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020
Some of the CSM for Kill Team I completed:

Many thanks to this thread and the WH40K for the painting advice.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

goodness posted:

Then check this out

and that is the end of my DG infantry, 21 Plague Marines, a Lord, and 7 blight terminators. Until 9th edition came out...besides having less units I don't really know how my army list will be changing but I still have 3 tanks left!

My favorite of the three...these greenish brown to pink transitions work for me in the worst way.

Pakxos posted:

Some of the CSM for Kill Team I completed:

Many thanks to this thread and the WH40K for the painting advice.

These are great and a perfect example of how you can crank out good tabletop minis that will impress people without doing some of the renaissance artist stuff we see in the thread. You are an inspiration to us, sir.

Gameko fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jul 17, 2020

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020

Gameko posted:

-kind words-
Thanks! I have to admit, some of the sloppiness around the lenses makes me cringe, but at some point you have to move onto another project.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Silhouette posted:

Goddamn I love your work, nebalebadingdong

Also your name is fun as hell to say out loud

thanks friend!

also senpai noticed me :blush:

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Nebalebadingdong posted:

thanks friend!

also senpai noticed me :blush:

That's pretty cool.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

This is probably a good a place as any to ask. Is anyone part of a printable minis Patreon? I've been subscribed to the Raging Heroes one from Heroes Infinite for a couple of months and they're great models, I just don't know what I'm going to do with them. I'd like to find something that's more oriented towards RPG monsters and characters so I'd get more use out of them. Anyone have suggestions?

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
So finished up my scrab occult terminators. I'm pleased with how they came out. This was my first time really experimenting with edge highlighting. Still need to get better.

For the loincloths and the Cape i used a metal base coat and contrast paint (magos purple and blood Angel's red) to try and give it a warp fuckery shimmer effect. I like how it turned out.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Funzo posted:

This is probably a good a place as any to ask. Is anyone part of a printable minis Patreon? I've been subscribed to the Raging Heroes one from Heroes Infinite for a couple of months and they're great models, I just don't know what I'm going to do with them. I'd like to find something that's more oriented towards RPG monsters and characters so I'd get more use out of them. Anyone have suggestions?

I am not but I know Goobertown Hobbies did a sculpt ideas collab with a company like that and to my eye they looked RPG-ish. I'll try and look up the info later, bit pressed for time right this sec.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Werix posted:

For the loincloths and the Cape i used a metal base coat and contrast paint (magos purple and blood Angel's red) to try and give it a warp fuckery shimmer effect. I like how it turned out.

I love that effect, nice job dude

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Spanish Manlove posted:

I love that effect, nice job dude

Thanks. I like the effect too. I'll definitely use it on the robes for my Exalted sorcerers and Ahriman.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Other than the Badger not being in stock today, any feedback before I pull the trigger? :ohdear:

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

I think you want to avoid using those metal cleaning brushes on the badger nozzle. Someone posted in here within the last couple months about it scratching it, causing paint to get stuck and come out unevenly.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Yea, don't use the metal cleaning brushes, but also if you do things correctly you'll never need them. Get some airbrush cleaner and follow this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEIJs1c4bsQ

Thin your paints a ton with flow improver, clean the paint out with water then cleaner and some paper towel and you'll never have any buildup that would want scrubbing to remove.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Funzo posted:

Much like Tangy yet delightful, I am also not (a 3d printer is on my list alongside an airbrush as a "maybe someday" gift to myself) but I subscribe to various painting/terrain building youtube channels, and black magic crafts had a promoted video from loot (that is a generic as gently caress name, so I did the one step extra and looked at the video again, its loot-studios.com) who do rpg-ish miniatures with a different focus every month. This month its undead, and I figure undead are always useful in almost any RPG. I'm sure that other hobby channels have had similar promoted videos as well, but thats the one thats most recent so has obviously knocked the others out of my head. There was one that did steam-punky dwarfs that I remember thinking looked cool (if very very specific for general RPG use).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

goodness posted:

I think you want to avoid using those metal cleaning brushes on the badger nozzle. Someone posted in here within the last couple months about it scratching it, causing paint to get stuck and come out unevenly.

Cinara posted:

Yea, don't use the metal cleaning brushes, but also if you do things correctly you'll never need them. Get some airbrush cleaner and follow this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEIJs1c4bsQ

Thin your paints a ton with flow improver, clean the paint out with water then cleaner and some paper towel and you'll never have any buildup that would want scrubbing to remove.

Thanks! I must've watched half a dozen different cleaning videos and they all suggest different levels of thoroughness :)