Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Indiana_Krom posted:

The really embarrassing part is: that's exactly what it was. Passenger side buckle was tapping against the plastic on the B pillar because it was turned funny, fixed it without even trying when I was putting in my floor liners...

Lol I typed that because that happened to me on the way home from picking up my Y. I heard a rattle panicked, thought, then reached across the car and adjusted the passenger buckle... gone :v:

Goons gonna goon

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I just don’t understand how are people ok with this.
Just want you to see what your hand wringing was about.

Anyway my 2018 Subaru Outback had infinity more squeaks and rattles than my Tesla(as it has none) I had all kinds of weird squeaks and stuff depending on my seat position. Despite it being a $38,000 car. Was still a great car and I didn’t want to return it in an autistic meltdown. It was a 4000lbs machine with a thousand moving parts, not one of your gundam models.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Volkswagen Trademarks e-Beetle And Other Classic e-VW Names

1) There better be a performance e-Beetle called the lightning bug
2) I cannot wait to see what the e-Karmann looks like

If any of these see the light of day, that is.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
e-Kubel...yeah I'm not sure they're going to use that one

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm waiting for the E-T1

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Wibla posted:

If Tesla were to arbitrarily remove supercharging from a vehicle for no reason (FYI: salvage title is a valid but lovely reason), they would take a massive public relations hit. They have absolutely nothing to gain from doing this.

If an insurance company tried to pull that stunt, it would be classified as fraud. Which is why it hasn't ever happened (as far as I know), and is very unlikely to ever occur.

Elon Musk is definitely a guy who is concerned with taking unnecessary public relations hits.

Also, insurance companies do fraud a lot they’re just protected by the fact that there is a vast power imbalance between them and some random customer.

Basically you’re saying that it’s fine that all of these potential problems exist because companies will behave ethically out of fear of twitter terrorism.

You also missed my point earlier about FSD entitlements. I wasn’t talking about what’s included in the package, I was talking about who or what is entitled to use it. If you buy a used Tesla 3rd party you effectively can’t trust that any software provided with the car won’t be removed at some later date because the entitlement ended with the original owner.

Edit: And this isn’t merely a Tesla problem, they’re just the worst current example of cars as software, but they’re already developing imitators.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 17, 2020

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Finger Prince posted:

Oh wow thanks for this link! This is my dream project were I ever to have the time money and resources to indulge in such a thing.

Thanks for this as well. Somehow I had never subbed or even searched for it, despite talking to Pomp about the GS450H transmission in the old thread. I'm a rotary nerd and dig EVs, so... Already follow the 280Z one.
Like Finger says - hope to have the $$ to mess with something like this at some point. Part of the reason I follow the EV thread(s).

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

This is almost certainly staged by Ford as some BS "Snuck into the proving ground and look what I saw!" video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RszqMl3D-NI

However It seems to be a Mach-E showing off it's acceleration and pulling some awesome AWD drifting.

So, late, and from the last thread, but damned if I don't want a Mad Max'd Mach-E now.

Yuns posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Ford makes it impossible to really slide/drift the Mach E in the production version by way of stability/traction control that can't be fully shut off.

...and then there's this, which is probably going to disappoint a lot of people. There is hope, though - after all, Ford did put the Drift Mode into the Focus RS.

nadmonk posted:

Because I'm a problem solver:

That car, and Wild EVolution's first gen RX-7, are what got me genuinely interested in EVs, before Tesla start making warp-speed capable road cars.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Elon Musk is definitely a guy who is concerned with taking unnecessary public relations hits.

Also, insurance companies do fraud a lot they’re just protected by the fact that there is a vast power imbalance between them and some random customer.
Tesla arbitrarily disabling supercharging would blow up bigtime, both Tesla as a company and Elon Musk would care about that. Not that I see it happening, because it goes against the whole idea of building a supercharging network to begin with.

As for insurance companies committing fraud and getting away with it: That's lovely, they shouldn't get away with it. Maybe you should contact your congressman/congresswoman about getting stronger consumer protection laws?

YOLOsubmarine posted:

You also missed my point earlier about FSD entitlements. I wasn’t talking about what’s included in the package, I was talking about who or what is entitled to use it. If you buy a used Tesla 3rd party you effectively can’t trust that any software provided with the car won’t be removed at some later date because the entitlement ended with the original owner.
The "FSD entitlement" follows the car. It's an upgrade you buy for the car, not your Tesla account.
If you buy a used Tesla from a third party (not Tesla), Tesla obviously won't gently caress with the features of the car, like FSD. If you buy a used (CPO) car from Tesla, it is clearly advertised if it has FSD or not, and it is wholly irrelevant to you (as the buyer) if the car had FSD before it was returned to Tesla.

Here's the details page for my car on Tesla.com:

If I sell my car, I'll put that screenshot in the ad. It dispels any ambiguity about what's included (and what's not). And yes, I'm driving a pretty base model S, heh. But I got it cheap off inventory at EOQ, so I don't care :sun:
Tesla has also recently added more info in the car itself for what features the car has, so it's pretty easy to double-check when looking at a used car in the private market.

E: I just saw the FD RX7 thread that Darchangel quoted from the OP :toot:

Wibla fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 17, 2020

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Wibla posted:

If you buy a used Tesla from a third party (not Tesla), Tesla obviously won't gently caress with the features of the car, like FSD. If you buy a used (CPO) car from Tesla, it is clearly advertised if it has FSD or not, and it is wholly irrelevant to you (as the buyer) if the car had FSD before it was returned to Tesla.

But this is exactly what happened in the examples posted up thread? Guy bought a Tesla from a 3rd party and Tesla remotely disables his EAP and FSD and only re-enabled it after he kicked up enough of a storm on social media. Even if you assume that it was an error, why are they auditing software ownership on the car if the software is tied to the car? And what happens to people who can’t generate the relevant level of outrage to get it fixed?
Do you just assume that if it didn’t blow up on Twitter that it never happened?

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jul 17, 2020

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

YOLOsubmarine posted:

But this is exactly what happened in the examples posted up thread? Guy bought a Tesla from a 3rd party and Tesla remotely disables his EAP and FSD and only re-enabled it after he kicked up enough of a storm on social media. Even if you assume that it was an error, why are they auditing software ownership on the car if the software is tied to the car? And what happens to people who can’t generate the relevant level of outrage to get it fixed?

What happened, depending on who you asked, was the dealer bought a used car from tesla that may or may not have had FSD/EAP advertised on it. Tesla claims the price paid did not include FSD/EAP. The dealer goes on to sell it, advertising FSD/EAP. Someone buys it assuming it has FSD/EAP, which tesla realizes "isn't paid for" and disables it at date after purchase. The key here is from tesla--this wasn't a direct person to person sale, and there is no evidence that tesla will remove FSD/EAP from cars that are not sold back to them, at which point they presumably have the full right to add/remove value to the car.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

gwrtheyrn posted:

What happened, depending on who you asked, was the dealer bought a used car from tesla that may or may not have had FSD/EAP advertised on it. Tesla claims the price paid did not include FSD/EAP. The dealer goes on to sell it, advertising FSD/EAP. Someone buys it assuming it has FSD/EAP, which tesla realizes "isn't paid for" and disables it at date after purchase. The key here is from tesla--this wasn't a direct person to person sale, and there is no evidence that tesla will remove FSD/EAP from cars that are not sold back to them, at which point they presumably have the full right to add/remove value to the car.

I gotta admit this is doing my brain in a bit trying to follow who said what and who did what. So what I am reading is that Tesla as the owner of the car in the first instance says FSD wasnt included but didnt disable it. Car dealer onsells with FSD still enabled. Eventual owner gets FSD disabled when they in good faith believed it should have been enabled - Thats correct?. If thats right, then I'd say that was Tesla's mistake in that they should have done their work to disable FSD before it went out the door so they should wear it.

I know it's standard practice by car manufacturers and dealers to change options either up or down to maximise used car sales but this whole notion of important big name features being at the mercy of car makers that can be in effect sold twice as "upgrades" is a concern that wont be limited to Tesla in the coming years.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

gwrtheyrn posted:

The original statement was that it was bad business and this seems like a pretty good example of bad business. The end user isn't aware of any of that, all they are aware of is that they bought a car with FSD and EAP enabled and then Tesla took it away. If Tesla sold the car on to a dealership to sell then why didn't they disable those features before it was delivered to that dealer? They can do it remotely, so it wouldn't even have to pass through their possession. It's a very customer unfriendly model because you cannot, as a customer, actually know what you own. You're at the mercy of an opaque system. FSD follows the car, except when it's financially beneficial for Tesla to have it not follow the car, in which case it may still be on the car but you don't actually own it and they can remove it at any time.

This isn't a problem that car buyers should have to worry about. Thinking about the licensing model of your car like it's an Ubisoft game or Adobe product is headache inducing. If I buy a used Camry I don't have to worry about Toyota coming and ripping my alloy wheels off because I wasn't actually entitled to them and the dealer provided them by accident.

It's also not an entirely isolated incident based on this thread I found with like 2 minutes of googling:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/fsd-removed.191178/

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I gotta admit this is doing my brain in a bit trying to follow who said what and who did what. So what I am reading is that Tesla as the owner of the car in the first instance says FSD wasnt included but didnt disable it. Car dealer onsells with FSD still enabled. Eventual owner gets FSD disabled when they in good faith believed it should have been enabled - Thats correct?. If thats right, then I'd say that was Tesla's mistake in that they should have done their work to disable FSD before it went out the door so they should wear it.

I know it's standard practice by car manufacturers and dealers to change options either up or down to maximise used car sales but this whole notion of important big name features being at the mercy of car makers that can be in effect sold twice as "upgrades" is a concern that wont be limited to Tesla in the coming years.

That is my understanding on how it worked. Tesla should have had it disabled upfront, but everyone down the line assumed it was good to go since it worked and was on the window sticker. They did go back and reenable it for the guy who got the article written about him, but that doesn't mean they've been as kind to everyone else who may have had similar things happen to them. Either way, this only really applies to sales through tesla.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

gwrtheyrn posted:

That is my understanding on how it worked. Tesla should have had it disabled upfront, but everyone down the line assumed it was good to go since it worked and was on the window sticker. They did go back and reenable it for the guy who got the article written about him, but that doesn't mean they've been as kind to everyone else who may have had similar things happen to them. Either way, this only really applies to sales through tesla.

The dealer bought the car at auction and bid based on the software that was on the car at the time it was sold and the original Monroney showing those features were part of the original purchase, so they also paid for the software because that was surely priced in to the auction price.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Today I had to move my old Altima to open up some parking for my brother in law who is coming to get it tomorrow. Got in, grabbed the shift lever (hey, at least I remembered how that works!), and then when it wouldn't shift I remembered that you have to start these things to make them move. Only the second day of driving a Tesla and I'm already forgetting how to drive a normal car.

At least after that moment of EV induced memory loss, I remembered to turn it off when I was done moving it.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Indiana_Krom posted:

Today I had to move my old Altima to open up some parking for my brother in law who is coming to get it tomorrow. Got in, grabbed the shift lever (hey, at least I remembered how that works!), and then when it wouldn't shift I remembered that you have to start these things to make them move. Only the second day of driving a Tesla and I'm already forgetting how to drive a normal car.

At least after that moment of EV induced memory loss, I remembered to turn it off when I was done moving it.

First time I rented a car, I kept parking it, and walked away with it running.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Indiana_Krom posted:

It's funny how unneccessary convenience features work their way into your head, one day I misplaced my Leaf keys, so I grabbed the spare set, and the battery in the fob was dead, and I was SO MAD that I had to DIG MY KEYS OUT OF MY POCKET to start the car, it's like me from 4 months ago would call currwnt me an idiot baby right now.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Nfcknblvbl posted:

My M2 had a DCT so there was no park setting, you just turned the car off when you stopped and that was that. After a few weeks of driving it my muscle memory was so ingrained that every time I would drive my fiancé’s CX-5 id just hit the button to turn it off with it still in drive and it would throw a fit and she’d look at me like i was the dumbest person alive. It’s amazing how quickly we subconsciously adapt to new routines.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I have done this countless times. Fortunately it always happens when I am getting my coffee between my hotel and the site, never when I go in for a full day of work.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
This is a really Tesla specific question but my 3 was delivered with version 2020.20.17 software. I know the latest updates are 2020.24.6.x and 2020.28.x I have my car connected to my home wireless network and updates set to advanced but do you know how long it typically takes to get an update. My understanding is that most people have received 2020.24.6.x already.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
One house away from the home that has THREE Ionic EV's (not plug in hybrids, the EV) they have a Model 3 and now a Model Y.

This is around the corner from where I live.

I need to take some pics. This is interesting.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

EVs spread like crack cocaine, 3 or 4 people have expressed interest in buying one after driving/being driven in my Leaf.

Xel
Jan 21, 2003

Yuns posted:

This is a really Tesla specific question but my 3 was delivered with version 2020.20.17 software. I know the latest updates are 2020.24.6.x and 2020.28.x I have my car connected to my home wireless network and updates set to advanced but do you know how long it typically takes to get an update. My understanding is that most people have received 2020.24.6.x already.

It's not uncommon for brand new cars to be stuck on odd or older versions for a release cycle or two. You can dig into the details of https://www.teslafi.com/firmware.php to see how new versions roll out in terms of population, model, VIN range, and region.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Finnish Kempower have come up with a new charging solution which has a concept I've suggested on this forum and I would be able to link to it and brag if it wasn't two or three closed threads ago.

Basically, more plugs than chargers, power can be routed around. So you don't get a 50 kW car taking up a 150 kW spot. And presumably you can do stuff like massive overcapacity of plugs on a highway rest stop, so a family that takes 90 minutes to eat, play with the kids etc can just leave the car there and it will just take up a charging spot and not actual charging capacity. A nice detail is that they also allow to view the charging screen on your phone. No mention of reading car ID over CCS though.

This station is opened at Espa in Norway.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Ola posted:

Basically, more plugs than chargers, power can be routed around. So you don't get a 50 kW car taking up a 150 kW spot. And presumably you can do stuff like massive overcapacity of plugs on a highway rest stop, so a family that takes 90 minutes to eat, play with the kids etc can just leave the car there and it will just take up a charging spot and not actual charging capacity. A nice detail is that they also allow to view the charging screen on your phone. No mention of reading car ID over CCS though.

When you say more plugs than chargers, does that just mean like each spot can theoretically provide 150kW but total output of the station can't support all of them doing 150kW at the same time? Kinda like internet bandwidth or a much larger scale version of the clippercreek dual head chargers? If so, I'd be surprised if that's not how things are already set up

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

gwrtheyrn posted:

When you say more plugs than chargers, does that just mean like each spot can theoretically provide 150kW but total output of the station can't support all of them doing 150kW at the same time? Kinda like internet bandwidth or a much larger scale version of the clippercreek dual head chargers? If so, I'd be surprised if that's not how things are already set up

(The exact numbers and nomenclature here is probably inaccurate, I don't understand this well enough)

Yes and no. Some chargers are strictly one DC converter -> one charging spot, which may have one or two outlets for CCS and CHAdeMO but you can only use one at a time. Then you have Tesla's V1 supercharger where one 120 kW DC converter is built up from two 60 kW modules and goes to two charging spots, each with a max of 120 kW. So if you park next to a guy in an otherwise empty lot, you have to share. You get a minimum of 30 kW and the available energy increases in 30 kW chunks as the first guy's charging starts to taper. You can share each module 50/50, or not at all, due to some galvanic stuff I don't understand properly.

This solution is more flexible in how you can set it up, built from 50 kW modules and balancing in 25 kW chunks, sharing between all outlets instead of grouped ones. Basically you can share one module 50/50 or not at all, and you make the sharing more granular by having multiple modules. So you can park next to a guy but it will still route max outlet power to you. I guess another useful thing will be to see on the app how much power is available before you connect.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Yuns posted:

Mine took like a week to be pushed the update. Just every morning connect to WiFi and check the software update screen. It will do a check for updates and grab it whenever they assign it to you.

I got pushed some intermediate bug fix .20 update one day then .24 the next morning.

I just turned my phone into a hotspot and downloaded it on the drive in :D Installed it from the app while at work.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I can’t understand how Tesla can continue to sell vaporware for a car that it will never deliver on. Well, I can, but I don’t understand how it’s allowed by regulatory agencies.

You'd think the FTC or some state Attorney General would have brought a claim by this point, but at least for blue states I think it wouldn't be a great idea politically so they don't do it. That's the only reason I can think of. See for example, Tesla defying orders in Alameda county just to reopen a few days early to make a point, they now have 130 employees with COVID-19 (they claim only 10 came from the factory, but that is very suspect), and no one in the local government did anything in response to them opening illegally.

In EV charging news, this is what NY just announced:

(it's from this article which is behind a paywall)

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?

YOLOsubmarine posted:

You're leaving our the important detail that the car went through Tesla first to stir up controversy. A normal person to person transaction wouldn't result in that.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Shamino posted:

You're leaving our the important detail that the car went through Tesla first to stir up controversy. A normal person to person transaction wouldn't result in that.

And was sold by Tesla with those features listed at auction, so why does it matter?

- Car returned as lemon
- car listed at auction advertising x,y,z features
- dealership buys car at auction with those features listed as being present on the car
- Tesla removes features after the sale is concluded
- dealership sells car to private party, dealer is aware that the features are changed but consider it a bug since it was advertised with those features
- Tesla tells new owner to piss off, and only after they get dragged on social media do they cave

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

Yuns posted:

A better answer is above, but in practical terms I've noticed that it can occasionally take a few weeks for an update that people are talking about on /r/teslamotors to show up for me.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

And was sold by Tesla with those features listed at auction, so why does it matter?

- Car returned as lemon
- car listed at auction advertising x,y,z features
- dealership buys car at auction with those features listed as being present on the car
- Tesla removes features after the sale is concluded
- dealership sells car to private party, dealer is aware that the features are changed but consider it a bug since it was advertised with those features
- Tesla tells new owner to piss off, and only after they get dragged on social media do they cave

I'm pretty sure this is an accurate series of events and I'm not sure what could be gained by hammering on this story more. This is getting tiresome to read/scroll past.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

So a lot of these are probably known, but insideEVs published General Motors' sustainability report from 2019, which just so happens to include the entire lineup of battery electric vehicles planned:

Chevrolet
  • A mid sized SUV.
  • Full size electric pickup with 400+ mi range (Silverado EV?)
  • Bolt EUV, takes cues from Bolt EV and Blazer on styling, will include Cadillac Supercruise.

GMC
  • GMC Hummer EV truck configuration - 1,000 HP / 11,500 lbft torque / 0-60 in 3 seconds
  • GMC Hummer EV SUV configuration - offroad capable

Buick
  • One SUV with emphasis on interior space & cargo space
  • One CUV with emphasis on "form and athletic fashion."

Cadillac
  • Lyriq SUV - aimed at the bread and butter luxury crossover segment
  • Three row SUV aimed to maximize cargo and interior space
  • Entry level luxury EV SUV (think Cadillac XT4)
  • Escalade SUV, but not called an Escalade SUV
  • Celestiq - conspicuous consumption product. "Build rate of 1.2 a day."

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Westy543 posted:

So a lot of these are probably known, but insideEVs published General Motors' sustainability report from 2019, which just so happens to include the entire lineup of battery electric vehicles planned:

Chevrolet
  • A mid sized SUV.
  • Full size electric pickup with 400+ mi range (Silverado EV?)
  • Bolt EUV, takes cues from Bolt EV and Blazer on styling, will include Cadillac Supercruise.

GMC
  • GMC Hummer EV truck configuration - 1,000 HP / 11,500 lbft torque / 0-60 in 3 seconds
  • GMC Hummer EV SUV configuration - offroad capable

Buick
  • One SUV with emphasis on interior space & cargo space
  • One CUV with emphasis on "form and athletic fashion."

Cadillac
  • Lyriq SUV - aimed at the bread and butter luxury crossover segment
  • Three row SUV aimed to maximize cargo and interior space
  • Entry level luxury EV SUV (think Cadillac XT4)
  • Escalade SUV, but not called an Escalade SUV
  • Celestiq - conspicuous consumption product. "Build rate of 1.2 a day."

This is both interesting and a bit disappointing. Any vehicle you like - as long as it is a SUV or truck. :/

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Nostalgic Cashew posted:

This is both interesting and a bit disappointing. Any vehicle you like - as long as it is a SUV or truck. :/

The only thing that looks cool is the Hummer. The rest are interesting in GM taking EV's seriously and the depressing reality of modern cars

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Nostalgic Cashew posted:

Well, the Buick CUV emphasizes "Form and Athletic fashion" that could be kinda car like.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

VideoGameVet posted:

One house away from the home that has THREE Ionic EV's (not plug in hybrids, the EV) they have a Model 3 and now a Model Y.

This is around the corner from where I live.

I need to take some pics. This is interesting.

I would like to know what type of electrical service they have to charge all those cars at the same time.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Elephanthead posted:

I would like to know what type of electrical service they have to charge all those cars at the same time.

A regular service.. That's why they have so many cars

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Guy works at NIKOLA and is reverse engineering the electronmobiles

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

MomJeans420 posted:

You'd think the FTC or some state Attorney General would have brought a claim by this point, but at least for blue states I think it wouldn't be a great idea politically so they don't do it. That's the only reason I can think of. See for example, Tesla defying orders in Alameda county just to reopen a few days early to make a point, they now have 130 employees with COVID-19 (they claim only 10 came from the factory, but that is very suspect), and no one in the local government did anything in response to them opening illegally.

I think this is veering into Musk Chat territory. Reglatory issues about the cars is fine, Musk being a fuckwit in the middle of a pandemic I'd like to avoid here.

RZA Encryption posted:

This is getting tiresome to read/scroll past.

Agreed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I know autopilot chat was a few pages back, but I wanted to chime in:

The only time I’ve driven a Tesla was when I rented a model 3 for 3 days during a trip to Dallas last October. I fuckin loved it and spent a lot of time just tooling around Dallas so I could drive that car. But part of the trip included a roughly 1 hour ride straight south of Dallas, and autopilot on that ride was ...just ok.

I definitely see the benefit of having it, but I wouldn’t exactly say I felt relaxed because I was constantly monitoring the steering wheel to try to figure out how often I had to nudge it to avoid the car yelling at me. I guess I was misinformed, but I had been under the impression that just resting my hand on the steering wheel would be enough to keep the car from yelling at me. I didn’t realize until I started using it that I had to actually give it a little nudge left or right every minute or so, even on long straight stretches of Texas highway. And the nudge it needed was actually more forceful than I would have expected it to be. There were a couple times when I gave the wheel slight nudges that were not detected by the car.

Maybe knowing the proper timing and strength to nudge the steering wheel to keep autopilot happy is a skill you pick up with time, but I didn’t master it in my 3 days with the car.

One pedal driving was awesome though.