Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MarcusSA posted:

I'm not having the issue either on my iPad or iPhone 11 Pro Maxxxx

Same on latest beta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Checked again on my iPad Pro 11 (2018) and still no issues of any sort like that.

I split my time browsing either the website with SALR in Chrome, the Android Awful App, or the iOS Awful App. I normally just use the thread bookmark list, but the forum display works fine from all 3 if I go to it. As far as it goes, I have about 2 pages of bookmarked threads at the moment, in case the issue is something to do with too many pages of bookmarked threads breaking the main forums list. Just spitballing here.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I submitted a couple bug reports of the app crashing when I tap to play an embedded video.

It is happening on iOS 14 Public Beta with the Current and Beta Awful app.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
I believe i asked someone suffering from that to clear cache and it didn’t help them.

No issues here on a Pro Max and 13.5.1, oled dark mode

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

It sounds like it's an issue with either fetching or storing the list of forums but if it persists across reinstalls I have no idea...

At some point I think we switched to using a JSON endpoint Jeffery provided, shine the pokeyman symbol into the sky since he's probably our only hope.

Out of sheer curiosity, someone having problems use their device to visit https://forums.somethingawful.com/index.php?json=1 in a browser and see what you get.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

A screenshot would likely help, even if it's of a blank list. Just to make sure we're all talking about the same thing.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

The Dave posted:

No issues on my iPhone X running 13.5.1.

Same.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

carry on then posted:

It sounds like it's an issue with either fetching or storing the list of forums but if it persists across reinstalls I have no idea...

At some point I think we switched to using a JSON endpoint Jeffery provided, shine the pokeyman symbol into the sky since he's probably our only hope.

Out of sheer curiosity, someone having problems use their device to visit https://forums.somethingawful.com/index.php?json=1 in a browser and see what you get.

Aside from a nerd boner?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

fool of sound posted:

My app suddenly doesn't show the index under the forums tab, only the announcements. I tried updating/reinstalling to no avail.

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf

Othin posted:

I’m also having the same issue and using the same work arounds.

iPhone 8 Plus
iOS: 13.5.1
Awful App: 4.3

I’m still having the forums missing issue for going on a month now. I have tried emptying cache, reinstalling, and going through every option in app and toggling them to see if there is a change but nothing works. I only see an empty forums list along with any current announcements. I can navigate to parent forums by book marking a thread and then scrolling to the top and clicking on "parent forum"

The first time I noticed the forums list missing was after I opened the app and was suddenly asked to log in again. Even if I input the correct password it throws up an error saying there is a problem logging in (I have also tried username with upper and lower case but that doesn't seem to matter).

If I close the app and then reopen it after receiving that error, I'll be logged in. Additionally, the first time I log in after doing that, the forums announcements will be missing until I navigate to a parent forum for the first time.

carry on then posted:

This is from the Safari browser on that iPhone.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Othin posted:

I’m still having the forums missing issue for going on a month now. I have tried emptying cache, reinstalling, and going through every option in app and toggling them to see if there is a change but nothing works. I only see an empty forums list along with any current announcements. I can navigate to parent forums by book marking a thread and then scrolling to the top and clicking on "parent forum"

The first time I noticed the forums list missing was after I opened the app and was suddenly asked to log in again. Even if I input the correct password it throws up an error saying there is a problem logging in (I have also tried username with upper and lower case but that doesn't seem to matter).

If I close the app and then reopen it after receiving that error, I'll be logged in. Additionally, the first time I log in after doing that, the forums announcements will be missing until I navigate to a parent forum for the first time.

Ok, so you're not having problems fetching the list of forums. It's something else...

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Could something about the announcement be screwing things up? We've had a bunch of announcements lately. People have been saying the timestamp on them changes randomly too.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Othin posted:

I also get the same result. iPad OS.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

This is an insignificant request for a feature I don’t heavily use but would it be possible to add HTML parsing in rap sheets? I always want to see what picture ends someone’s posting career.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

theflyingexecutive posted:

This is an insignificant request for a feature I don’t heavily use but would it be possible to add HTML parsing in rap sheets? I always want to see what picture ends someone’s posting career.

Android version has it so I wouldn't think it's anything too weird or difficult to do. And yeah, given the frequency with which images appear in probes, it'd be nice!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

The rap sheet is a native view, not a reformatted web page, so it won't be trivial. I'm assuming it won't be performant to just slap a web view inside each table cell.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

if they’re recycled IIRC it’s not too bad to have 3-4 instantiated at once, and that was iPhone 6 era performance, but probably making the whole thing into a web view like the posts view is easier

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

I'm seeing some promising results with just getting an NSAttributedString from the HTML, but gifs don't play. Could be a decent first pass for now if we want to completely redo it later.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Get something going so I'll push it. It takes longer to load than a web view would, and doesn't play gifs, but I wanted to actually fulfill a request once in a while. We can replace this with a web view later.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Badass :cheers:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That's awesome! I didn't think of NSAttributedString at all.

Minkpan
Dec 2, 2003
To tell the truth, my brother doesn't really do much of anything

Othin posted:

I just went through, and took almost identical screen shots, except in Dark mode, and with more recent forum info. The only difference I’m seeing in my situation vs. everyone else’s is that this has been happening to me since I first installed the app, back in April or May. I’m not running iOS betas, just the latest stable releases.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
How do we send the pokeyman signal?

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

I'm also having the blank forum screen except for announcements bug - and it wouldn't let me log in, although when I quit and reopned the app I was logged in. iPhone XS with the latest iOS

also, if it helps, I just got this when I resintalled the app because my forum list wasn't updating

Seven Hundred Bee fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jul 18, 2020

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

I'm also having the blank forum screen except for announcements bug - and it wouldn't let me log in, although when I quit and reopned the app I was logged in. iPhone XS with the latest iOS

also, if it helps, I just got this when I resintalled the app because my forum list wasn't updating

Persistent across reinstalls. Dang.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I still don't know iOS as well as Android -- when you uninstall does it clear and cache and cookies and stuff? Does it back up those to the cloud and copy them back over when you reinstall?

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Charles posted:

I still don't know iOS as well as Android -- when you uninstall does it clear and cache and cookies and stuff? Does it back up those to the cloud and copy them back over when you reinstall?

I've done a full reinstall including deleting iCloud data

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

`Nemesis posted:

How do we send the pokeyman signal?

I sent them a PM

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Another word data point - the forum specific style button in settings just opens to a blank screen

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Is something weird going on with pms?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

`Nemesis posted:

Is something weird going on with pms?

It's just that time of the month.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
/

astral posted:

Hey, thanks for following up on this and good intuition about the dash. I just tested and pasting a youtube link with the broken video ID from Ralph Hurley's post converts to the proper video tag in the forums reply page:

[video type="youtube"]9g3–WYH8SY[/video]

However, the embed (and original link) won't work because that's the wrong kind of dash; em dashes as far as I can tell aren't used in youtube video IDs. Note that https://youtube.com/watch?v=9g3%96WYH8SY doesn't work, either.

Pasting it with a single en dash instead correctly formats the tag/embed, but the embed will also break because that's not a valid video ID:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g3-WYH8SY

Googling the ID found https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g3--WYH8SY - note the two dashes. For reference, I can also paste this link at the reply page, and it is properly converted to a video tag:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g3--WYH8SY

So either Ralph Hurley's iPhone or Awful app decided to convert the two en dashes to an em dash at some point, causing it to break. :ms:

edit: if you do ever come across a youtube video link with some strange characters in it or whatever that doesn't convert to the video tag properly or doesn't embed properly, post it in the technical thread in QCS or otherwise let me know and I'll be happy to look into it.

Tl:Dr (not sure if they used the app or browser) two hyphens got converted into a unicode Em dash in the youtube URL. Is that something the app can check for? Might be an edge case of course. How were the curly quotes solved for quotes a few years ago?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Smart quotes was (I think) something we could just have the app tell iOS not to do. Not sure if the em dash is similar but it’s probably not controlled by the same setting

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
The missing forums list is probably a parsing issue, and the broken login is almost certainly the same issue (we fetch the forum list and current user info immediately after logging in, and if that fails the whole thing goes down).

Can someone with a missing forums list or login problems go to https://forums.somethingawful.com/index.php?json=1 from a logged-in browser, copy all the text, and paste it to me (PM or post in this thread, feel free to link a pastebin if you prefer)? Thanks! edit: got it!

(I'll catch up on everything else later.)

pokeyman fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jul 19, 2020

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

pokeyman posted:

The missing forums list is probably a parsing issue, and the broken login is almost certainly the same issue (we fetch the forum list and current user info immediately after logging in, and if that fails the whole thing goes down).

Can someone with a missing forums list or login problems go to https://forums.somethingawful.com/index.php?json=1 from a logged-in browser, copy all the text, and paste it to me (PM or post in this thread, feel free to link a pastebin if you prefer)? Thanks!

(I'll catch up on everything else later.)

You’ve got mail (pm)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Ultimate Mango posted:

You’ve got mail (pm)

Thanks! I see the problem. Fix incoming.

As a workaround, make sure none of your user profile fields (e.g. ICQ number) resemble a number (e.g. add a letter or something).

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

pokeyman posted:

As a workaround, make sure none of your user profile fields (e.g. ICQ number) resemble a number (e.g. add a letter or something).

Ah, its all that external auth stuff that mucks up things over time.

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf

pokeyman posted:

Deleting my ICQ number (RIP) immediately fixed the problem.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Fixed! Thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Othin posted:

Deleting my ICQ number (RIP) immediately fixed the problem.

Lmao incredible