Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

WhatEvil posted:

Yep this is it. Ecofascism.

The UN thinks there will be a up to a billion climate migrants from the global south by 2050.

Yeah this is what I was getting at as well. I don't see any realistic way for pretty much any state to deal with all the refugees caused by climate change without ending up with some form of fascism

Hell, the two biggest political movements globally, literally fascism and lol-gently caress-you turbocapitalism, both have "let them all die" as built-in dogmas in their very core already

e: darn what a snipe. The 287 is an extremely interesting (co)processor by Intel

jaete fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

BalloonFish posted:

I remember a lot of grumbling on twitter (and, IIRC, some of the paper press) about the black people in the 'pre-industrial Britain' scene, and the apparently excessive numbers of interracial couples in the house party scene.

So, all the FBPEs tearing up and wondering how the Britain of 2012 became so bigotted and spiteful, unfortunately the answer is; it was there all along.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
The little outage just now reminded me that I left postbot3000 running in the background a couple of days ago. The poor thing stalled at some point but here's the output so far:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1USvwM7qb1RVC1vnHgnxgJhVLndOUvKsxqQcw_xOplsU/edit?usp=sharing

So this is Markov chains made from each month's posts. It really does seem to capture the mood of the thread, as you can see from December 2019:

quote:

Apparently today is not cool, though.

quote:

Have you thought it worth being aware of UK news, things looking pretty miserable.

quote:

Turns out Hitler Did Nothing Wrong.

:ohdear:

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The little outage just now reminded me that I left postbot3000 running in the background a couple of days ago. The poor thing stalled at some point but here's the output so far:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1USvwM7qb1RVC1vnHgnxgJhVLndOUvKsxqQcw_xOplsU/edit?usp=sharing

So this is Markov chains made from each month's posts. It really does seem to capture the mood of the thread, as you can see from December 2019:

:ohdear:

Once again proving all AIs somehow turn racist in the end.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
All that Olympics nonsense reminds me, didn't some goon get a police visit for threatening to extinguish the novelty candle?

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
I'm loathe to knock it because it was a good bit of theatre. I was one of those people who was *super* sceptical about being able to pull off a good olympics and by the end of the opening ceremony I was in, I was tuning in for sports I had no interest in before or since, yaknow?

But it *was* just theatre. 7000 of the people appearing in it were unpaid volunteers. Landlords in the capital were evicting tenants to make a quick buck out of putting up tourists. Some people had to move out of the way of construction, even. It was a spectacle, but it had a human cost.

To look back on it 8 years later like some halcyon days of equality and stability is to buy into an illusion while wilfully ignoring the reality on the ground. It should be just as embarassing as watching Star Trek and pining for life on the Enterprise.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Isomermaid posted:

I'm loathe to knock it because it was a good bit of theatre. I was one of those people who was *super* sceptical about being able to pull off a good olympics and by the end of the opening ceremony I was in, I was tuning in for sports I had no interest in before or since, yaknow?

But it *was* just theatre. 7000 of the people appearing in it were unpaid volunteers. Landlords in the capital were evicting tenants to make a quick buck out of putting up tourists. Some people had to move out of the way of construction, even. It was a spectacle, but it had a human cost.

To look back on it 8 years later like some halcyon days of equality and stability is to buy into an illusion while wilfully ignoring the reality on the ground. It should be just as embarassing as watching Star Trek and pining for life on the Enterprise.

quote:

Landlords in the capital were evicting tenants to make a quick buck out of putting up tourists. Some people had to move out of the way of construction, even.

I'm fairly certain this bit is actually what they're looking back on fondly, TBH.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Isomermaid posted:

I want to live on the Enterprise. Beam me up, Scotty!

I had a big crush on Chekov when I was a kid (I was about 7-10 years old when it played in the UK). Now I know he wore a wig as the producers wanted to bring in Monkees fans, William Windom who won an award for his performance as Commander Decker who took over command of the Enterprise and lost the plot became Seth Hazlitt, the doctor in Murder She Wrote, and as for Kirk, his letching knows no bounds (I routinely watch reruns of original series on Horror channel and what I notice now went over my head as a kid). And as for that misunderstood silicon based life form in Devil in the Dark episode - I plagued biology teachers for years with questions about the possibility of silicon-based life forms.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Isomermaid posted:

As always, though, the people looking back on it are the ones who weren't negatively affected by the "gently caress OFF: PATRIOTISM COMING THROUGH" nature of the event.

It's fine to accept that the Opening Ceremony was good - it was.
It's also fine to accept that the UK had a really good games.

But the Opening Ceremony was good because Danny Boyle worked out how to do what he wanted without toeing the Tory line on what should/should not be included.
And Team GB + Northern Ireland did really well because the government poured a fuckton of money into elite athlete funding well past the point that they've been interested in since. Because it was 100% about propaganda for them.

And all the hand-wringing from Heil columnists and their ilk about wrong-uns sabotaging the whole event by rioting was kind of scuppered because the Tories (+Keir Starmer) had gone full-on Dredd after the 2010 riots.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I always rather liked colourblind casting as a way of subtly undermining the idea that there are different “races”. Every little helps.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

CoolCab posted:

there is a valley in india/pakistan/kasmir that homes about a billion people (i can't remember the name of, apologies). they are already getting heatwaves of 40 degrees and more - a few more degrees warmer and in the summer we will exceed the wet bulb temperature for safe human habituation, and pretty much everyone will need to leave.

The entire population of India, the whole country, all of it, isn't that much more than a billion people.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Crankit posted:

All that Olympics nonsense reminds me, didn't some goon get a police visit for threatening to extinguish the novelty candle?

I remember that, forget who it was though.

Funniest thing I remember about the 2012 Olympics was the brand police.
They told some pub/restaurant to remove/cover a wall they had painted with their logo, because you could see it from one of the stadiums or from inside the olympic zone.
As it was outside the zone, they were told to gently caress the gently caress off.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
All the good sports are in the Winter Olympics, I don't really bother watching the boring one in the summer.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

quote:

2008-12-01
There is a bad poster.
It's on to us!

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

feedmegin posted:

The entire population of India, the whole country, all of it, isn't that much more than a billion people.

the geographic region i am referring to (which i would swear to christ was called a valley but it's a massive "valley") is really really big and covers a bunch of countries. god i'm not having much luck googling it tho.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

CoolCab posted:

the geographic region i am referring to (which i would swear to christ was called a valley but it's a massive "valley") is really really big and covers a bunch of countries. god i'm not having much luck googling it tho.

Do you mean South Asia?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Asia

This includes part of the ancient Indus Valley area, maybe that's what you were thinking of?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Do you mean South Asia?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Asia

This includes part of the ancient Indus Valley area, maybe that's what you were thinking of?

yeah that sounds right! whenever i googled it i just got the indus valley civilization.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

prophetic. i hadn't registered yet

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

CoolCab posted:

yeah that sounds right! whenever i googled it i just got the indus valley civilization.

Indus River Basin (inside the red boundary) - population 300m.

map source: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0921818113000921

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 18, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Indus River basin is still 'only' 300 million people, but yeah if it fails then both India and Pakistan and by knock on a bunch of other places are going to have a bad time.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
Yeah, maybe I'm conflating the 300 million with the billion projected climate refugees. Still, 300 million loving people.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Indus River basin is still 'only' 300 million people, but yeah if it fails then both India and Pakistan and by knock on a bunch of other places are going to have a bad time.

Couple that with the Nile issues in Africa - the Ethiopian New Renaissance Dam plus climate change too.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
e: a bad post

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jul 18, 2020

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I can't get this thought out of my head, but I'm not going to go nuts with theorising, just that I feel like there's probably something more here to look into.

We know from the leaked WhatsApp messages that the right of the party were actively working against Corbyn at the last election. But it's very much being framed by the press as just vague pressure, no specific acts of sabotage; just talk, aside from stalling the antisemitism inquiries.

The by-election for Wantage in Oxfordshire saw a huge swing away from the Corbyn aligned candidate Jonny Roberts, to the Lib Dem candidate - enough to split the vote and let the Tories win. Like a mystifyingly huge flip in such a pro-remain area.

In the final weeks of the campaign I was posting constantly about not having recieved any fliers or much info about the Labour candidate, no doorsteppers, no nothing.

In the final week of the campaign, the local facebook page for Wantage labour mentioned that there had been a 'mix up at HQ' which had led to the leaflets not being sent out.

I know I can be naive and paranoid, but I feel like there should be a paper trail here. That this should be the point that some journalist should be able to trace the failure back to an actual person who can be chastised for a tangible act of sabotage.

But it's not going to. Wantage is just one seat, and nobody cares. And even if they do care, they'll be written off as a paranoid loon.

And yet I can't get that thought out of my head.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Couple that with the Nile issues in Africa - the Ethiopian New Renaissance Dam plus climate change too.
This has just reminded me that Cape Town is going to run out of water at some point in the not too distant future unless they start making more.

This is a part of why I believe that the biggest single (and there are much bigger still systemic things that can happen) industrial project is Ghana getting that nuclear plant that they want. The amount of industrialization that's needed to get it working would provide for a lot of the push migration from rural West Africa, and if it works it provides a technological base for making water out of the ocean. That'd be as much of a step change as when otherwise history's greatest monster Fritz Haber managed to make bread out of the air.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I listened earlier today to the TP podcast on poland . That is crazy.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I can't get this thought out of my head, but I'm not going to go nuts with theorising, just that I feel like there's probably something more here to look into.

We know from the leaked WhatsApp messages that the right of the party were actively working against Corbyn at the last election. But it's very much being framed by the press as just vague pressure, no specific acts of sabotage; just talk, aside from stalling the antisemitism inquiries.

The by-election for Wantage in Oxfordshire saw a huge swing away from the Corbyn aligned candidate Jonny Roberts, to the Lib Dem candidate - enough to split the vote and let the Tories win. Like a mystifyingly huge flip in such a pro-remain area.

In the final weeks of the campaign I was posting constantly about not having recieved any fliers or much info about the Labour candidate, no doorsteppers, no nothing.

In the final week of the campaign, the local facebook page for Wantage labour mentioned that there had been a 'mix up at HQ' which had led to the leaflets not being sent out.

I know I can be naive and paranoid, but I feel like there should be a paper trail here. That this should be the point that some journalist should be able to trace the failure back to an actual person who can be chastised for a tangible act of sabotage.

But it's not going to. Wantage is just one seat, and nobody cares. And even if they do care, they'll be written off as a paranoid loon.

Shortages of leaflets were a thing at almost every seat I doorstepped on in both 2017 and 2019. Now the innocent explanation is that these were London-area marginals that Momentum were piling into, meaning they were getting a lot more volunteers than expected (there were at least 250 at Battersea, for example) so there might not be enough leaflets to go round... but surely regardless of the amount of volunteers they'd have enough leaflets to hit every household?

The problem is that there's no journalists at a national paper willing or able to actually look into this, especially with Sir Haircut and his merry men in charge.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if there were a deliberate 'mix up' from Labour HQ not to the benefit of a Corbyn-aligned candidate, or, possibly, sabotage from CLP officers procuring the stuff. Our CLP did also have some issues about leaflets, I can't recall exactly what now, and probably involved Welsh Labour who were bloody useless, but we went and printed our own IIRC.

I don't know how big Wantage is, but our CLP is very widespread geographically and has 4-6 largish town in it (depending how you define a town) plus many rural areas. IIRC there are something like 44 wards and 5 branches covering the area. We had to turn out the troops and some people were out for hours upon hours every day/evening in the dark and wet, tramping the streets leafleting, stalling etc. (many of them Corbynistas - though you wouldn't think so to hear the rumblings from some of the anti-Corbyn brigade) so if Wantage is big and didn't have people willing to turn out for Corbyn, then that might be part of it.

Another possibly major point is that most of us probably did NOT see the tory FB campaign as it would have specifically excluded any labour supporters in their targeting (and probably other 'libtard snowflakes' such as greens, animal rights, LBGTQ etc).

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Guavanaut posted:

This has just reminded me that Cape Town is going to run out of water at some point in the not too distant future unless they start making more.

This is a part of why I believe that the biggest single (and there are much bigger still systemic things that can happen) industrial project is Ghana getting that nuclear plant that they want. The amount of industrialization that's needed to get it working would provide for a lot of the push migration from rural West Africa, and if it works it provides a technological base for making water out of the ocean. That'd be as much of a step change as when otherwise history's greatest monster Fritz Haber managed to make bread out of the air.

Fritz Haber would be an overdone villain in a bond film

being such a terrible, awful husband that you completely break your talented chemist wife down to the point that she shoots herself and dies in front of your son would be bad enough, leaving for the eastern front the next morning to gas a bunch of Russians is just :psyboom:

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

On the topic of Jesus's ethnicity, the Ethiopian church has some amazing depictions which are probably more historically accurate:

I used to talk about this not-irregularly, and given Jesus was a former carpenter's apprentice and what he gets up to in the scourging of the temple, he'd almost certainly be a pretty big guy, not skinny as portrayed in most religious art.

That said, while any historical Jesus almost certainly wasn't a blue-eyed, pasty white guy, him being 'black' in the modern sense is unlikely. More likely he'd resemble most other semitic people in the middle east at that time.

Here's an article talking about how Jesus would be a radical communist by modern standards.

Think of everything the evangelical right in the US hates, basically, and as that article points out, that's the historical Jesus.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Purple Prince posted:

On the topic of Jesus's ethnicity, the Ethiopian church has some amazing depictions which are probably more historically accurate:

I used to talk about this not-irregularly, and given Jesus was a former carpenter's apprentice and what he gets up to in the scourging of the temple, he'd almost certainly be a pretty big guy, not skinny as portrayed in most religious art.

That said, while any historical Jesus almost certainly wasn't a blue-eyed, pasty white guy, him being 'black' in the modern sense is unlikely. More likely he'd resemble most other semitic people in the middle east at that time.

Here's an article talking about how Jesus would be a radical communist by modern standards.

Think of everything the evangelical right in the US hates, basically, and as that article points out, that's the historical Jesus.

The passage of time and movement of people probably makes it difficult to impossible to accurately nail down the ethnicity of a character from a piece of historical fiction. Although as forums poster SMG mentioned, regardless of the existence/nonexistence of the character, the racism is real.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Purple Prince posted:

Or as tumblr puts it, "Canon Jesus is better than Fanon Jesus."

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Look, we all read the Conservepdia Bible Project, and it clearly states that Jesus believed in the power of the Conservative Free Market, and was also a blond white guy who loved guns. :pseudo:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Purple Prince posted:

I forget if Jesus is actually described as having long hair and a full beard or whatever, but I like how the character design is so established that I just can't accept this guy, my brain's not having it

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

quote:

There is a bad poster.

:hmmyes:

jacksbrat
Oct 15, 2012

I'd go back to the Catholic church and become a nun if it was Jesus #2 up there I was marrying.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Honestly it's probably an accurate thought.

In all respects.

:smith:

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
LDEM predictions they would out-poll Labour in Wantage turned out to be correct though - exactly what one would expect for such a pro-Remain area

If anything Roberts was the spoiler that let the Tory in

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Purple Prince posted:

Wasn't there a huge Renaissance-era controversy about a painting of Jesus that showed him as too, ahem, Semitic-looking?

I mean while you rightly say that it's impossible to say what he might have looked like because of the amount of mixing and movement in the area, given the dominant ethnic groups in the area (from Romans to Persians with just about every point in between), Our Lord and Saviour will definitely have had a schnozz on him, not the cute little button nose artists have been giving him since the moment they cracked actually drawing faces.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Surprise twist: Jesus was japanese

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
:stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNioRN8Zajs

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/fying-ants-radar-uk-kent-sussex-met-office-a9625446.html

Swarm of flying ants 50 miles wide spotted over UK’s south coast

A swarm of flying ants so large it can be seen from space has been spotted over the south-east coast.

The Met Office’s weather radar picked up the cloud of ants, around 50 miles wide, over Kent and Sussex.

Smaller swarms can be seen over London.

The Met Office tweeted a video of the swarm and said: “It’s not raining in London, Kent or Sussex, but our radar says otherwise...

“The radar is actually picking up a swarm of #flyingants across the southeast.

“During the summer ants can take to the skies in a mass emergence usually on warm, humid and windless days #flyingantday’.”

A spokesman for the weather service said there are likely “thousands” of ants within the swarm.

He said: “It’s not unusual for larger swarms to be picked up.

“A similar thing happened almost exactly a year ago on flying ant day.

“On days like today, when it is sunny, the radar detects the swam but we are able to see they are not the same shape as water droplets, and in fact look more insect-like.”