Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah death stranding is amazing,. i really didnt think id like it but here i am hiking through the mountains delivering packages and dodging ghosts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

anilEhilated posted:

I got Age of Empires 2 Definitive on a whim and my god the voice acting and narration are hilarious. Totally went above my head as a teen, but I'm really enjoying the accents now.
Anyhow, anyone know of a difficulty order for the campaigns? Last time I played was three expansions ago...

The campaigns have one, two or three swords next to the campaign name on the map. That's the difficulty. That said, some maps (like Saladin's last few missions) represent a huge difficulty spike that's not exactly indicated beforehand by the difficulty rating. Also, all the voice work was redone for the Definitive Edition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLY_4BYP1TA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9E2L9c-0ho

Some people think the original voice acting is superior, I personally feel like it went way too ham with the accents but to each their own.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
My favourite storyline of the AoE2 campaigns is the one told from the perspective of a priest or missionary or whatever that ends up following Gengis Khan around, and after you beat the last mission he waxes poetic about how great it was killing all those people and how he misses the old days of butchery with the horde (spoiler alert for a 25 year old game lol)

It was pretty metal poo poo for 10-year old me :black101:

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

On a separate note, looking at the patch notes for Demon Crawl when I'm absolutely terrible at making progress in it is a real trip. Metagates? Boss Fights? Obelisks? The gently caress?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

drat horror queefs posted:

My favourite storyline of the AoE2 campaigns is the one told from the perspective of a priest or missionary or whatever that ends up following Gengis Khan around, and after you beat the last mission he waxes poetic about how great it was killing all those people and how he misses the old days of butchery with the horde (spoiler alert for a 25 year old game lol)

It was pretty metal poo poo for 10-year old me :black101:

The Barbarrosa campaign is narrated by the dude who betrayed Barbarrosa multiple times throughout the campaign :allears:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

geeeeeeet wrecked, Monster Train final boss! God I love this game it's better than slay the spire in like every way

The combo of the mermaid who gets stronger when you cast spells + the guy who summons things to eat every turn + the boss guy who gets REALLY big when he eats things = ludicrous damage, as I'd spend my turns summoning even more things to eat / keeping the lower levels alive and by the time anyone would make it to the top floor they'd get flattened

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Nice, the FFXIV 5.3 patch that cuts out an insane amount of busywork in the main quest is releasing August 11: https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/shadowbringers/patch_5_3/

Maybe I'll finally beat the main quest this time. I own all of the expansions and have never touched them.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

queeb posted:

yeah death stranding is amazing,. i really didnt think id like it but here i am hiking through the mountains delivering packages and dodging ghosts

It really is a fantastic game if it grabs you. It's the most self indulgent Kojima game possible and I love every minute of it.

Even if you don't like Kojima(which again to be clear this game is Very Kojima so your tolerance had better be pretty drat high) the actual mechanical moment to moment gameplay of walking and climbing is super compelling, just that thinking about and planning hits like every great puzzle game(I mean like Tetris).
The human opponents have a lot of the fuckery gameplay of a good MGS game so that's there for the people into that.
The BT's are pretty interesting not really sure how much to say since a lot of the magic is figuring things out for yourself imo.

All in all Death Stranding good unless you hate it which you can probably figure out in under 2 hours so give it a try.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jul 18, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Hub Cat posted:

Even if you don't like Kojima(which again to be clear this game is Very Kojima so your tolerance had better be pretty drat high)
The game reminds you of it every half-hour or so, too, just so you don't forget.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

I mean to be totally clear outside of the story missions is dozens of hours of just running around and delivering stuff, the Kojima writing and dialog never stops but like 64% of the game is super chill running and climbing 10% BTs 10% sneaking and loving with human opponents 15% KOJIMA 1% is that Voice Actor that person?(Yes). The numbers aren't exact but I feel it's a good estimation:shrug:

The game frontloads a lot of stuff and of course the end is wall to wall cutscenes but mostly it just leaves you alone until you return for storytime.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jul 18, 2020

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I do kinda wish there was more cutscenes in the middle of the game. The emails and static hologram dialogue stuff weren't terribly engaging to me.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Hey if you were spending hours trouble shooting WDogs2, here's what worked for me. Reinstall. Verify. Turn off the second monitor.

E: Game window wasn't launching but the exe was in Task Manager.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Hub Cat posted:

Even if you don't like Kojima(which again to be clear this game is Very Kojima so your tolerance had better be pretty drat high) the actual mechanical moment to moment gameplay of walking and climbing is super compelling, just that thinking about and planning hits like every great puzzle game(I mean like Tetris).
The human opponents have a lot of the fuckery gameplay of a good MGS game so that's there for the people into that.
The BT's are pretty interesting not really sure how much to say since a lot of the magic is figuring things out for yourself imo.

Also the asynchronous cooperative multiplayer stuff that really starts to pick up after a few hours is oddly compelling, and I'm hoping to see other games start copying that idea. Building a road to make travel quicker for you is convenient, but when that road shows up in other players' worlds (and some of their structures in yours) so everyone is helping each other out, it takes on a much more satisfying feel.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Holy poo poo

Death Stranding is absolutely GORGEOUS

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

being an honorabu katana master in Superhot Mind Control Delete owns so hard

can't wait to see what the other cores can do

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I decided to get Nier: Automata in order to prevent me from spending the additional money on Death Stranding. I hope I made the right decision

edit: Do I need any mods for Nier?

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jul 18, 2020

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Luisfe posted:

Holy poo poo

Death Stranding is absolutely GORGEOUS

Also this DLSS tech on newer Nvidia cards is some crazy dark magic. It renders the game at a low resolution and then, like, uses a neural network to scale it up to the desired resolution, in realtime. It ends up looking better than actual 4K rendering and runs way faster.

https://twitter.com/Berduu/status/1283481152074985478

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I would like to direct your attention to Hairy Mary's reviews, which - near as I can tell - are from an entirely earnest and average midwest housewife who exclusively plays HOGs and casual puzzlers.

I trust her reviews and I would die for her. She is a sweet lady.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I decided to get Nier: Automata in order to prevent me from spending the additional money on Death Stranding. I hope I made the right decision

There's a guide here that has some of the biggest mods and how to use/configure them: https://www.nexusmods.com/nierautomata/mods/29

Of the mods that guide lists, the ones I recommend everyone use are FAR mod (basically a must have, fixes major resolution and graphic/performance issues), NieR Automata Input Overhaul Mod (NAIOM, makes mouse and keyboard actually usable), the high res texture pack, the LOD fix to fix some pop-in issues, and either the Re-Encoded Videos (better performance with cutscenes, but still 30fps) or the 60fps upscaled cutscenes (this one is like 22 gigs though, compared to the original 20gig files)

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

This is pretty high up my list of most anticipated games this year. Feels like I’ve been following it forever.

https://twitter.com/PlayHumbleGames/status/1284162152199106562?s=20

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Anno posted:

This is pretty high up my list of most anticipated games this year. Feels like I’ve been following it forever.

Any idea of the launch price? I thought the demo was charming enough during that special Steam event a few months back.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Anno posted:

Literally coming out on my birthday, in a genre I love. I might have to get myself a gift then, I hope it lives up to the hype!

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Ragequit posted:

Any idea of the launch price? I thought the demo was charming enough during that special Steam event a few months back.

I don’t think it’s been announced. Also that was less than a month ago - 2020 is a real bitch.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
That reminds me I was surprised to see Fae Tactics was made by the same guys that did Valdis Story.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Sailor Dave posted:

Of the mods that guide lists, the ones I recommend everyone use are FAR mod (basically a must have, fixes major resolution and graphic/performance issues),
Yeah, FAR is basically mandatory. Small warning though: I played thorough the game last year and the latest version of FAR at the time had a memory leak which made me start losing frames as time went by, was dropping to 45 about an hour in.

They may have updated/patched it since, but if you run into this, you can configure it to use a previous version somewhere in the options. There was a stream forums thread about it, I'll check my bookmarks tomorrow and see if I can find it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Anyone still play Company of Heroes 2? If so, any preferred commander for the Soviets? I got the game on sale and have been playing a bit. Comp stomps mainly to get my RTS legs back. I've been really liking their armor selection. They don't take a beating but they zip around the map at extremely high speed. I'm still wrapping my head around the commander stuff so any preferred ones that'd help someone getting into things?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Thanks for the help with the Nier mods, guys

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Infinity Gaia posted:

On a separate note, looking at the patch notes for Demon Crawl when I'm absolutely terrible at making progress in it is a real trip. Metagates? Boss Fights? Obelisks? The gently caress?

Yeah the game doesn't really start until you beat it on normal mode. An absolute ton of features unlock afterwards, with more to come even later

edit: if you need tips, please ask. unfortunately the game has a pretty slow start until you unlock a couple masteries. Spy is definitely the most powerful, but a few others like Pyro and spark are also really fun and make you think about the game in different ways.

And for the purposes of beating normal, just about any mastery will do. There's a patch currently in beta, also, that adds a new "novice" mastery that makes a lot of early game stuff easier. It should hit the main game by the end of the week.

goferchan fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jul 18, 2020

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Anno posted:

I don’t think it’s been announced. Also that was less than a month ago - 2020 is a real bitch.

Welp, I thought it was during the big demo event in March. I can't remember poo poo this year.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

srulz posted:

You got a guide you're referring to for knowing all this? I hate to miss stuff.

No, unless the game goes viral on Twitch or whatever there's very little aside from some basic guides like fishing or researching and the only answers you can find from google on from Steam discussions.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

goferchan posted:

And for the purposes of beating normal, just about any mastery will do. There's a patch currently in beta, also, that adds a new "novice" mastery that makes a lot of early game stuff easier. It should hit the main game by the end of the week.

It just hit earlier today. I was incredibly offended when I unlocked it mid-level, like the game was telling me I sucked out of nowhere.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I'm not sure I've seen it but has there ever been like a steam key giveaway thread? I've got a few extra keys laying around and I'm not really sure what to do with them.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

MarcusSA posted:

I'm not sure I've seen it but has there ever been like a steam key giveaway thread? I've got a few extra keys laying around and I'm not really sure what to do with them.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3513572

It's buried in private servers so you have to have an account to snipe it

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Thanks! I never venture in there.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Det_no posted:

Green Man Gaming didn't like me trying to buy games from them, again, and blocked my attempt to purchase Pillars of Eternity. So, while their customer support hopefully unfucks itself and stops treating me like a criminal based on my geographical location, I decided to try a game I had wish-listed and noticed came out recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kd3-QVNN4Q

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1229900/ARIA_CHRONICLE/

People are describing Aria Chronicle as Darkest Dungeon lite but very anime. I didn't play enough Darkest Dungeon to tell you for sure but I can recognize elements of it: It has randomly generated heroes with different traits that give them boons and weaknesses, it has stress levels to manage if you don't want your adventurers to act on their own or even outright desert your party, it has several classes which can do different things depending on whether they are on the frontline or backline during combat and it's all tied together by a central town that you help level up to improve facilities. It is also pretty tough if you get lazy and go into things unprepared but, unlike in Darkest Dungeon, you can pay a not insignificant amount of money to revive dead adventurers.

Two hours in, it's good. I was worried the translation would be lovely judging by the store page but so far it seems great outside a couple minor typos I've seen. One Steam review mentions translation issues with the tavern dialogue but so far I haven't seen any so I don't know how bad they can get. The game is fun, a little tough (on normal difficulty) but at times it does feel a little budget, mainly in the pretty stilted animations and the fact that a whole lot of special attacks don't seem to have any sound effects associated to them. I'd say it's still a pretty good deal for 15 bucks (only for 20 more hours) considering reviews are saying it's at least 25 hours long.

Thanks for the write-up, I might pick up Aria Chronicle while it's still on discount.

Assuming I can drag myself away from Death Stranding...

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Infinity Gaia posted:

This game's a rabbit hole. I can't imagine where it'll be at in two years, but I'm looking forward to finding out!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Azran posted:

Some people think the original voice acting is superior, I personally feel like it went way too ham with the accents but to each their own.
Oh, it's been so long I didn't even notice. The accent is still fabulous.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The layers keep peeling back and I'm finding there's stuff in Guijan 3 that I had literally 0 clue existed and I'm thinking the game just never tells you. I found 2 minigames in the lotus base tucked away unmarked on the upper levels.

The first game is like Capt Toad's Treasure Tracker where you are a fat hamster saving your friends

The next one is some insanely complicated deckbuilder meets Mario party designed for 2-4 players. This is the results of a single round, I gave up at this point.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

god why does Kyle Crane ever let Rais talk for even a second

letting him live stops making sense after the first time you meet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
This is a weird one.

Anyone remember that MOBA, Paragon, that Epic was making until they realized that all they had to do was Fortnite and shut down every other game? It's back, on Steam, and it's called Fault. Basically Epic released all of the assets for Paragon after they shut it down and now some Parafans are remaking it using all of those exact same resources. I dunno, I never played the game but I know it had some amount of popularity.