Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

On the subject of butt wiping in the woods: https://www.alcalasandiego.com/

These wipes are pretty awesome. I grabbed them after getting caught having to drop trou while out fishing one too many times with no butt wiping material. They do a wonderful job there while also being big and durable enough to give yourself a good wipe down after getting all nasty. The aloe and other ingredients are a nice touch as well and give them a very gender neutral scent. I picked mine up through amazon, but I figured I'd give a direct link for the people that want to avoid using amazon.

The reason I went with these over regular baby wipes? They're very biodegradable and are gone in 6 months. A cool and good thing to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Elmnt80 posted:

They're very biodegradable and are gone in 6 months. A cool and good thing to me.
Please pack out your wipes.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

The biodegradable comment was to compare them to regular baby wipes that take something absurd like 100 years to degrade.

trufflefoo
Oct 29, 2006
Does anyone have opinions on Big Agnes tents? Specifically the Copper Spur UL1 (bikepack edition).
I’m looking for a good 1 person tent with short poles for bikepacking and that one comes up repeatedly, but I don’t know anyone in the UK with direct experience.
The main problem with tents for bikepacking is the length of the poles making it harder to pick in bike bags.
I’ve got an aliexpress Lunar Solo clone, but it’s just a little bit short for me at 6ft, and also a fairly awkward shape.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Big Agnes tents are solid, though can not give you anything more than that since I havent used that tent.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
Was going to mention offline maps with typography overlay like OSMand maps but then youtube algorithm showed this insane app

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXuQERL_e8M

looks very capable of off road LARPing :tbear:

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

trufflefoo posted:

Does anyone have opinions on Big Agnes tents? Specifically the Copper Spur UL1 (bikepack edition).
I’m looking for a good 1 person tent with short poles for bikepacking and that one comes up repeatedly, but I don’t know anyone in the UK with direct experience.
The main problem with tents for bikepacking is the length of the poles making it harder to pick in bike bags.
I’ve got an aliexpress Lunar Solo clone, but it’s just a little bit short for me at 6ft, and also a fairly awkward shape.

I have the 2 person one. it's excellent but insanely expensive.

It's not perfect either. The groundsheet is too expensive and heavy so I can't set it up outer only. The bag is designed to strap to your bike which is a nice idea but in reality you're just gonna jam it in to another bar bag so all the straps are unnecessary weight. The tent is reaaaallly thin, i've not ripped it yet but you gotta be a bit paranoid about checking the ground before you set it up.

Minor flaws I know but for something THAT pricey it's a bit annoying. On the plus side my boyfriend who's 6'5 can lay down comfortably in the 2-man version and the poles are indeed short enough to go in to a bar bag.

Alternatively, have you checked out the stuff alpkit have? the soloist looks okay and is like £120.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I pack around 3200kcal each day. The dehydrated 2 meals are around 1000-1200kcal but I add bread, butter, nuts, porridge, chocolate, some granola bars, soup etc. so it adds up. I don't hike too much each day and I usually don't even have the appetite to eat one day's meals in one day. I don't see the need to carry 4k or even more. When I start to be hungry enough to eat all I take with me then I can carry more next time.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jul 18, 2020

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

trufflefoo posted:

Big Agnes makes some of the best tents on the market. I've got a Tiger Wall UL3, a Copper Spur UL2, and a Fly Creek UL2. They are more fragile than your standard $50 Coleman tent, but that's because they're so lightweight. You can't really have ultra durable and ultra light and inexpensive.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

PantlessBadger posted:

I'm taking the thread's advice and getting the Cascade Mountain trekking poles. Costco doesn't have them in Canada, but Amazon had them and they're cheaper than any other full carbon fibre pole.

Canadian tire started carrying some house brand carbon fiber poles that look similar to the cascade mountain ones for a few bucks cheaper.

Math You posted:

Ontario crown land

How close to Algonquin park are you? Nobody is into my kind of camping so it all ends up being solo and I'm jonesing for someone else to hit trails/rivers with. Username at gmail if you wanna talk more.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We have a Big Agnes and I kinda hate it. I forget what model it is, but it's one of their 2 person models from five or so years ago. As tents go it's basically fine, setup could be easier (I don't like the three pole design) but I've never had a tent I enjoyed setting up so that's not much of a critique.

What does piss me off though is the elastic in the tent poles dried out after about two years and wasn't elastic anymore. I was spitting nails when we were a day's hike away from the car and my dumb rear end is trying to stuff 69 miles of cord back into the tubes so I could give us a place to sleep. It wasn't a hard fix once we got back home but it taught me two things: never buy Big Agnes again, and build your tent in the backyard before going on a road trip just to make sure everything's okay.

edit - oh and now that I think about it more, I hate the doors too. They picked a curve where it's impossible to open one handed because the zipper always catches where the arc tightens.

xzzy fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jul 18, 2020

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

hemale in pain posted:

It's not perfect either. The groundsheet is too expensive and heavy so I can't set it up outer only. The bag is designed to strap to your bike which is a nice idea but in reality you're just gonna jam it in to another bar bag so all the straps are unnecessary weight. The tent is reaaaallly thin, i've not ripped it yet but you gotta be a bit paranoid about checking the ground before you set it up.

Minor flaws I know but for something THAT pricey it's a bit annoying. On the plus side my boyfriend who's 6'5 can lay down comfortably in the 2-man version and the poles are indeed short enough to go in to a bar bag.

Alternatively, have you checked out the stuff alpkit have? the soloist looks okay and is like £120.

Adding to this, everyone I have worked with has always used a generic tarp for a groundsheet and never sprung for the branded one, it works out fine enough and is way cheaper.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Elmnt80 posted:

The biodegradable comment was to compare them to regular baby wipes that take something absurd like 100 years to degrade.
Sorry for misunderstanding you. I am so tired of seeing white 'flowers'.

trufflefoo
Oct 29, 2006

hemale in pain posted:

That’s useful info, thanks. I’ve seen the Soloist, but decided I’d like to buy my first ‘proper good tent’ rather than ‘good for the money’. Unsure about that decision.

Also thanks to everyone else, good to get some real feedback that isn’t in the form of a review that says ‘I got this for free!’

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

xzzy posted:

We have a Big Agnes and I kinda hate it. I forget what model it is, but it's one of their 2 person models from five or so years ago. As tents go it's basically fine, setup could be easier (I don't like the three pole design) but I've never had a tent I enjoyed setting up so that's not much of a critique.

What does piss me off though is the elastic in the tent poles dried out after about two years and wasn't elastic anymore. I was spitting nails when we were a day's hike away from the car and my dumb rear end is trying to stuff 69 miles of cord back into the tubes so I could give us a place to sleep. It wasn't a hard fix once we got back home but it taught me two things: never buy Big Agnes again, and build your tent in the backyard before going on a road trip just to make sure everything's okay.

edit - oh and now that I think about it more, I hate the doors too. They picked a curve where it's impossible to open one handed because the zipper always catches where the arc tightens.

I bought a BA tent from REI brand new (was a closeout though) and it came with the dried out elastic lines. I used it for about 6 months before finally emailing BA and they replaced the elastic in mine, free of charge. If they had charged they quoted me $25 including shipping which I thought was reasonable.

I agree with the tent door thing, I have the same problem on mine.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Washed my sts anodized aluminum spoon in the dishwasher and nearly all the coating was removed. I should just dremel the rest away and polish it.

Meanwhile I got a Titanium long handle spoon from Optimus with a polished spoon part. It is 20g vs 12g for the aluminium... But whatever.

I'm still looking for a tent. My Tarptent scarp 2 is 1,9kg with 8 groundhogs, single pole and stuff sacks. I am also carrying walking poles so I would like a tent which uses those.

Sadly no one makes one for 200cm/6'6" user. Basically it has to have room for at least 215x40x60 square box - I don't want the tent to touch my head or feet. Preferably polyester or something, nylon draws water like a sponge and sags a lot. 2 walled for condensation problems. There are a ton of quite close enough tents but they are alll a bit too small.

Maybe durston's x-mid 2p would work? On the other hand it saves only like 650g of weight..

Here's my stuff for 1 nighter. There won't be rain so carrying rain gear is questionable, also the insulated jacket and down balaclava. Maybe I should just leave them home, but then with my luck it will snow and I will get wet and freeze to death.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 18, 2020

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

you might try emailing some of the companies you're looking at to see if they would do a custom long job for you. if you do find one that does let us know!

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Ihmemies posted:

Washed my sts anodized aluminum spoon in the dishwasher and nearly all the coating was removed. I should just dremel the rest away and polish it.

Meanwhile I got a Titanium long handle spoon from Optimus with a polished spoon part. It is 20g vs 12g for the aluminium... But whatever.

I'm still looking for a tent. My Tarptent scarp 2 is 1,9kg with 8 groundhogs, single pole and stuff sacks. I am also carrying walking poles so I would like a tent which uses those.

Sadly no one makes one for 200cm/6'6" user. Basically it has to have room for at least 215x40x60 square box - I don't want the tent to touch my head or feet. Preferably polyester or something, nylon draws water like a sponge and sags a lot. 2 walled for condensation problems. There are a ton of quite close enough tents but they are alll a bit too small.

Maybe durston's x-mid 2p would work? On the other hand it saves only like 650g of weight..

Here's my stuff for 1 nighter. There won't be rain so carrying rain gear is questionable, also the insulated jacket and down balaclava. Maybe I should just leave them home, but then with my luck it will snow and I will get wet and freeze to death.

Phone posting so I can't check your moon measurements, but have you looked at https://lightheartgear.com/products/lightheart-solong-6

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Chard posted:

you might try emailing some of the companies you're looking at to see if they would do a custom long job for you. if you do find one that does let us know!

Gen from Yama Mountain Gear suggested selling me a 2p Cirriform with nylon innertent walls and 12" extra length, for $80 extra. That was in 2017 and that ship has sailed. Yama hasn't been able to keep even regular stuff in stock for a long time so I doubt they will do customizations. I was out of job back then so I didn't have the money to buy it when I had the chance.

Tigren posted:

Phone posting so I can't check your moon measurements, but have you looked at https://lightheartgear.com/products/lightheart-solong-6

Yes. Maybe I should just buy it for a nice weather tent. A "nearby" Danish shop sells it for 463€ https://backpackinglight.dk/tents/lightheart-gear-solong-6

That's just a lot of money for a single wall tent..

Morbus
May 18, 2004

I love trekking pole supported tents (and mids in particular) but I think they are just not a great choice for someone as tall as you. The wall angles are necessarily not very steep which means you need a pretty huge footprint to make room for a 6'6" person and also have a reasonable about of clearance for your head and footbox. This is especially true if you want a 2 wall shelter, as the inner takes up even more of the limited interior volume. And because these shelters are not freestanding, they are more particular about how you stake them out, which increases the effective footprint even more. To reasonably fit a 6'6" person you'd probably need a trekking pole supported tent to be >9" long.

A zpacks altaplex might be big enough...failing that something like an MLD supermid lol (or maaaaybe a duomid XL). The altaplex isn't double wall, though, and the other 'mids are only double wall with an innernet which likely cuts down the available space. The Nemo 1P spike is really long, but again, floorless single wall shelter.

The advantage of these kinds of shelters is that they can be very light, potentially very strong, and simple--but the cost is generally poor utilization of volume which is not great for a very tall person. It might ultimately be better to go with a tent with tall, curved tent poles & steep wall angles (like a TT Cloudburst) rather than try to make a trekking pole supported tent work.

Edit: the sierra designs high route FL 1 might also work for a trekking pole shelter...it has >100" floor length and offset poles for a steeper wall angle (like a longer version of the x-mid 2p)

Edit2: (or maybe a triplex...)

Morbus fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jul 19, 2020

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Ihmemies posted:

I am 6'2" so I know the struggle, to a degree at least

I have a Nemo Galaxi 2, which would make for an absolutely awful two person tent-- it's super narrow, only 4.5 ft, but it's also, according to their specs, 7ft long. In spite of that, I normally end up sleeping a little diagonally while I'm in it.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Scarp 2 is only 218cm long but it has 40cm high vertical walls on both ends. Cirriform shape like in Yama Cirriform or Tarptent protrail works. Sadly both are a little bit short to save some extra weight 99% of people don't need :v:

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

North Face Triarch 2? 1.7kg, 214 long but if it’s like my Triarch 3 the walls lean outwards for a bit so it feels very roomy. Bit of an over complicated pole system but manageable.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Ihmemies posted:

Copper spur 2 fits my 6'5 boyfriend and it's like 224cm long and weighs 1.4kgs. It doesn't really use walking poles though apart from holding the doors open and turning them in to a awning.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

CopperHound posted:

Sorry for misunderstanding you. I am so tired of seeing white 'flowers'.

Its fine. I'm hoping it goes unsaid as a forum rule that leaving trash after you're done doing whatever it is you do outdoors is bad.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Epitope posted:

There's a couple who do giant outings, like 1000s of miles. They found out the hard way about burning up all the fat reserves. Their food page is legit

http://www.aktrekking.com/food.html

Using up all your glycogen? You're a sprinter. Using up all your fat is the true long distance

Lol this is insane, they spend several years miserable and uncomfortable trying to figure out an ultralight sleep system all while carrying around a ton of unnecessary camera gear. A normal tent/sleeping bag setup would probably weigh less than one of their extra lenses.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

What’s the recommendation for carrying poo while mountaineering? I usually use a couple pet waste bags and put those in a ziplock but ziplocks don’t contain smells at all and it’s terrible. I am considering using a dedicated scent-proof food bag.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Lol this is insane, they spend several years miserable and uncomfortable trying to figure out an ultralight sleep system all while carrying around a ton of unnecessary camera gear. A normal tent/sleeping bag setup would probably weigh less than one of their extra lenses.

Yeah, they could likely get away with carrying an RX10 + WA attachment.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's always room for lenses, gotta get those epic shots. :colbert:

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

hemale in pain posted:

Copper spur 2 fits my 6'5 boyfriend and it's like 224cm long and weighs 1.4kgs. It doesn't really use walking poles though apart from holding the doors open and turning them in to a awning.

For another tall person data point, I’m 6’3” and have the Copper Spur 3 (for 2 people and a dog) and have no issues fitting comfortably length-wise. The 2 is only 2” shorter in length than the 3, so the fit should be comparable. We moved from an MSR tent that I only just barely fit in, so suddenly having a ton of space at my feet is pretty nice. The arc of the profile of the tent is squashed towards one side too, so when you lay down that way the walls aren’t encroaching on your head. If you wait for one of the REI sales with the 20% off coupon it’s a worth it IMO.

MistressMeeps
Dec 27, 2017

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

What’s the recommendation for carrying poo while mountaineering? I usually use a couple pet waste bags and put those in a ziplock but ziplocks don’t contain smells at all and it’s terrible. I am considering using a dedicated scent-proof food bag.

What about carrying a small backpacking trowel and burying it on site?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

n’thing the Copper Spur series. I’m an untall person, but I love the size and functionality in a lightweight package.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

MistressMeeps posted:

Presumably if OP is toting poo around in baggies then burial is either not possible or not allowed.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

MistressMeeps posted:

withak posted:

Presumably if OP is toting poo around in baggies then burial is either not possible or not allowed.

This. Lots of volcano hikes in WA where waste won't decompose fast enough and/or it's not really feasible to dig into lava rock.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

MistressMeeps posted:

I've used the Restop 2, and they are pretty standard for mountaineering shitbags.

They are very odor proof and the bag material is pretty tough. Just don't pack your crampons on top of one I guess.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Hey guys, I'm looking at gear & apparel for trekking in the Alps (and other mountains in the future), and I was wondering which would be better: having a down vest & rain jacket (ie Arcteryx Atom + Zeta), or just one weather resistant softshell (ie Patagonia Galvanized) ?
Trying to be as light as possible, and I wouldn't be going higher than about 3000 m. Temperature range -5°C to 25°C I would say.

Thanks in advance!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
ughhhh just broke out my 2005 REI half dome tent that's been stored (improperly) for 7-8 years and the rainfly is gross as fuuuuuuuuck :piss:

what the hell do I do to clean this poo poo or should I just replace it? it's got mildew or mood or something else like that in it and it's sticky

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Chikimiki posted:

Hey guys, I'm looking at gear & apparel for trekking in the Alps (and other mountains in the future), and I was wondering which would be better: having a down vest & rain jacket (ie Arcteryx Atom + Zeta), or just one weather resistant softshell (ie Patagonia Galvanized) ?
Trying to be as light as possible, and I wouldn't be going higher than about 3000 m. Temperature range -5°C to 25°C I would say.

Thanks in advance!

My feeling would be that if you know you'll be hiking in bad weather a lot then a warm hardcore jacket like that Patagonia might be better. If it's "mostly nice weather but may rain at times and you want to be prepared" I'd go down jacket (instead of vest) and separate rain jacket. It's more versatile and still quite light depending on what you want to get.

BraveUlysses posted:

ughhhh just broke out my 2005 REI half dome tent that's been stored (improperly) for 7-8 years and the rainfly is gross as fuuuuuuuuck :piss:

what the hell do I do to clean this poo poo or should I just replace it? it's got mildew or mood or something else like that in it and it's sticky

Get some tech wash type stuff and throw it in the washing machine (better if you have a front loader, top loader might catch the guy lines and stuff). Could do it by hand if you're iffy on the washing machine and in fact if you got a soft brush might be better for getting out the mildew etc.
Afterwards you might want to check to see if it's still waterproof/resistant

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

I had the same thing happen to a Quarter Dome over the course of a year or two. The stickiness is a sign of the waterproof coating delaminating. You can get an estimate from REI’s repair partner but it’s likely you’ll have to replace the rain fly. If the tent is from 2005 I’d just get a new one.

I’ll note here for completeness that if the tent is from 2005, you can return it for a refund/credit since it’s grandfathered in. Though that’s probably not the most ethical path.

The two lessons I learned from my experience:

- Take your tent out several times a season and, ideally, store it loose, rather than in its sack. Tents need to off-gas.
- Be careful when buying REI tents because you effectively get a one-year warranty.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Easiest solution is to try and clean it.

If its just dirty, soak it in some sort of cleaner/degreaser to try and remove whatever is on it. Maybe go over it with a rag or a brush to gently scrub it. For tree sap, I've always noticed alcohol (hand sanitizer for hands) works very well to remove it, but putting alcohol on a synthetic tent material might cause ill effects. It will definitely remove any waterproofing from the fabric. If it comes off, all you need to do is reapply waterproofing to the rainfly. If it doesn't, its probably not going to come off easily and it might just be worth replacing.

I'm no chemical engineer but I do know some plastics/polymers can age poorly over time which can cause plastics to seemingly melt or get sticky. This could be due to heat, foreign liquid/chemicals that weren't removed, UV exposure, you name it. You might have packed it up still slightly wet or stored it in a damp environment and the moisture over time could have formed a mold or residue. Tree sap, bird poop, mold/fungus, bug spray, the waterproofing chemicals could have interacted with the tent material over time. Who knows. If thats the case, I cant imagine you can fix that and will likely need to replace it.

I know you dont want to hear this but prevention is key. Clean it off after usage, let it fully dry and then store it away. Never store a tent that you care about with any sort of sap or moisture on the fabric. Its going to mildew and mold and the sap will likely harden and never come out/get other things sticky.