Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

This is probably going to be one of those questions with a really obvious answer but I’m drawing a blank right now.

I could do with a carafe to make 2-cup v60 brews in, but everything I’ve found is glass. I want to be able to keep it in my van and I think glass will break pretty easy when I’m driving around.

My immediate thought was a plastic measuring jug, but most of them don’t seem to deal well with hot liquid. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Red_Fred posted:

I’m drinking decaf during the week. There is a good local roaster who does a rotating single origin decaf which is nice.

The flavour notes are definitely lost compared to normal and often decaf roasts tend to be quite dark I find. I guess this is required due to the process?

the flavour notes are lost due to process, yes. The dark roasts tend to come about from two issues: one, the coffee is blander so roasters tend to go dark so that it tastes like something. two, decaf roasts are not as obvious when roasting as the colour and sound of the roast will generally be completely different from normal coffees. Easy to overdo imo.

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

This is probably going to be one of those questions with a really obvious answer but I’m drawing a blank right now.

I could do with a carafe to make 2-cup v60 brews in, but everything I’ve found is glass. I want to be able to keep it in my van and I think glass will break pretty easy when I’m driving around.

My immediate thought was a plastic measuring jug, but most of them don’t seem to deal well with hot liquid. Any ideas?

Could just do them straight into a large travel mug or failing that, a thermal carafe.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Hario do a thermal carafe for v60s

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

MonkeyLibFront posted:

Hario do a thermal carafe for v60s

well gently caress you if i dont want that cute little thing

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

mediaphage posted:

well gently caress you if i dont want that cute little thing

Seriously searching for that I almost bought it, I'm finding I'm buying more bits to go with this habit.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

MonkeyLibFront posted:

Seriously searching for that I almost bought it, I'm finding I'm buying more bits to go with this habit.

Thirded. No need for it but I wants it.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Pour over is no fun without a gooseneck, right?

I tried emulating pour over once by pouring water through a funnel into a normal drip coffee filter and the result was satisfyingly terrible

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Lord Stimperor posted:

Pour over is no fun without a gooseneck, right?

I tried emulating pour over once by pouring water through a funnel into a normal drip coffee filter and the result was satisfyingly terrible

...what?

I just use my regular electric water heater and it's fine.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I have access to sheet metal at my place of work so I fashioned a small spiral screen in order to stop popcorning, it's effective enough

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Aw man, that Hario carafe is super cute... but it's 69 CAD...

e: while searching for that I found out that there's a replacement hopper for Baratza grinders that has a bean shut-off, what a world

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 17, 2020

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

silvergoose posted:

...what?

Which cone do you have? I think a normal kettle could be ok for a Clever dripper or maybe a Kalita but a V60 really does need a gooseneck.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

Munkaboo posted:

Thirded. No need for it but I wants it.

I've just purchased a v60 v2 because I brew far too much via the chemex or not just enough so I've got the v60 for that off person, but now i want that carafe after searching.

Also on goosenecks, after buying the stagg EKG I found the flow rate very strange for the first lot of brews as I tilted more but their was no increase in flow which is very stranger compared to a normal kettle.

MonkeyLibFront fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jul 18, 2020

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I think a "normal" kettle can work for pourovers fine if you can do a steady pour from it. But a gooseneck is *easier*.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Jestery posted:

I have access to sheet metal at my place of work so I fashioned a small spiral screen in order to stop popcorning, it's effective enough

That last looks far better than the cardboard lid I taped on at the top. I'll upgrade it to wood at some point, though.

silvergoose posted:

...what?

I should have mentioned that I also don't have a pour over cone, so I was funneling the hot water into a filter that I had just fixed over a cup. One of these days I'll get a pour over set and try to make a proper one

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

mediaphage posted:

I think a "normal" kettle can work for pourovers fine if you can do a steady pour from it. But a gooseneck is *easier*.

Yes. I’ve not found it difficult to just use my regular kettle for the V60. Maybe if you have issues with pouring from your kettle, but it’s just water and unless you’re some sort of epic klutz, you should be able to manage a normal kettle with success.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Lord Stimperor posted:

That last looks far better than the cardboard lid I taped on at the top. I'll upgrade it to wood at some point, though.

I should have mentioned that I also don't have a pour over cone, so I was funneling the hot water into a filter that I had just fixed over a cup. One of these days I'll get a pour over set and try to make a proper one

Remember that the pour-over brewers are really cheap. The expensive part is the gooseneck kettle, which you don't need. It makes everything a lot easier and more consistent, but you definitely don't need it. In fact, the best tasting V60 I ever made was achieved with an ordinary kettle.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jul 18, 2020

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you already have a burr grinder and scale then you might as well get a gooseneck. You'll use it a lot.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Which cone do you have? I think a normal kettle could be ok for a Clever dripper or maybe a Kalita but a V60 really does need a gooseneck.

It's a bialetti.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

There are more affordable stovetop versions out there for those of you who wouldn't mind that route.

on the subject of gooseneck vs regular there's a lot of different kettles out there, and some of the "traditional" styles especially I've found can be kind of awful. my MIL has a little electric one we use every christmas and i haven't managed to pour water from it without spilling some yet. i'd just buy them a nice one but they appreciate the size and simplicity of this one.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

You could go with a 20 oz. thermal tumblers like Yeti or one of the knock-offs.

https://www.amazon.com/Jura-Tumbler-Double-Stainless-Installation/dp/B07MJR3P1H/

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

I often see it made explicit to start with cold water for brewing coffee, even in automatic drip machines, is there a reasoning for this that I'm missing? Since it gets heated up anyway I always assumed this was just to make sure people weren't using softened water or unduly looping in the hot water heater pipes.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I assume that's why.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

A water reservoir in a machine may also not be designed to hold brew temperature water. Dumping a kettle of boiling water into it may melt stuff

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Remy Marathe posted:

I often see it made explicit to start with cold water for brewing coffee, even in automatic drip machines, is there a reasoning for this that I'm missing? Since it gets heated up anyway I always assumed this was just to make sure people weren't using softened water or unduly looping in the hot water heater pipes.

This is it. Always start with cold water that will be heated, whether it's for coffee, pasta, tea, whatever simply because looping in your hot water heater exposes it to additional piping and, assuming you have a water heater with a tank (like most people do), you would also potentially be adding sediment from the bottom of the tank.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

OK that totally makes sense. I've just always read it like I was being instructed to refrigerate our water pitcher, versus the room temp water that came from the [cold] tap.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I did not know that, now I do.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Jestery posted:

I know you've found your own solution. But someone made a 3D-printed lid for the grinder. I'll probably make that myself. There are also other designs with a funnel, but I don't need that.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1274928

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Shooting Blanks posted:

You could go with a 20 oz. thermal tumblers like Yeti or one of the knock-offs.

https://www.amazon.com/Jura-Tumbler-Double-Stainless-Installation/dp/B07MJR3P1H/

I've been wondering if tumblers like this, by keeping the heat inside, are "cooking" the coffee more? Or is that just overthinking?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Deathlove posted:

I've been wondering if tumblers like this, by keeping the heat inside, are "cooking" the coffee more? Or is that just overthinking?

Nah, you're already at a fine temperature by the time the coffee goes into the tumbler. Hot plates do it because they are hotter than the final brew temp of the coffee, a tumbler won't hurt anything.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Lord Stimperor posted:

I know you've found your own solution. But someone made a 3D-printed lid for the grinder. I'll probably make that myself. There are also other designs with a funnel, but I don't need that.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1274928

Would you believe I sold my 3D printer a month ago.....

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Anyone doing some Japanese iced coffee right not? I haven't done it but with it being so loving hot right now I think I'm going to give it a whirl.

Anyone needed with Hoffman's recipe?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Munkaboo posted:

Anyone doing some Japanese iced coffee right not? I haven't done it but with it being so loving hot right now I think I'm going to give it a whirl.

It's kinda hard to mess up tbh. Just weigh the ice so you add the remaining weight as water correctly.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Munkaboo posted:

It really is the best iced coffee method.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Munkaboo posted:

I don’t gently caress with regular cold brew at all. Flash cooled/Japanese style all day every day. The Clever Dripper works great for it because you can control your steep time and agitation which helps since you’re exposing the grounds to less water volume.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Big Bidness posted:

The Clever Dripper works great

End of statement for me. I have at home and one in my camping gear. Such a great coffee maker!

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Any recommends as far as a specific make and model of moka pot? Wanna get my brother one as a housewarming gift.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

You want a Bialetti

I don't know why I get so triggered by coffee gifts but I just hope they get used but usually they get stored away forever. I want to get my parents a Moccamaster and Encore grinder for their 40th anniversary but they are content with their Mr coffee and Folgers bucket. They also enjoy good coffee and always ask for a brew at my house but for them Folgers is the best at their own home

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Biletti pots look great but cleaning them looks like a huge pain with all the parts and gaskets.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Mu Zeta posted:

Biletti pots look great but cleaning them looks like a huge pain with all the parts and gaskets.

I disagree. Mokapots are easy as piss to use & clean.

When you are finished making/drinking coffee, unscrew it and tap the grounds into the trash. Rinse all the parts and hang them out to dry. Done. If this takes you more than 60 seconds you are doing it wrong.

If you are feeling saucy you can pop off the single gasket and rinse the screen too. I do this every day but you really do not have to.

Every once in a while you might want to wipe the top piece out and then maybe a few times in your life soak all the pieces in some coffee cleaning poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That does sound easy. But every moka pot I've seen looked filthy so I just assume nobody cleans them.