Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Oil of Paris posted:

That fuckin apple tree has fire blight

Really lolling at the idea of looking at every garden ever planted and thinking “drat, this whole mulch look really caught on”

I mean we always used pine straw growing up and my understanding was that it was just for looks. Our garden has been fine without it but it couldn’t hurt. Any general things to look for or is whatever good? Should I put some on my potted plants as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Warbird posted:

I mean we always used pine straw growing up and my understanding was that it was just for looks. Our garden has been fine without it but it couldn’t hurt. Any general things to look for or is whatever good? Should I put some on my potted plants as well?

Pine straw is a solid mulch if you have plants that like acidic soil like azaleas. I use it in some sections of the garden myself, just takes a long time to break down (which would be quicker if I bothered to shred it but :effort: )

It’s really hard to go wrong with natural mulch like ground up wood chips and yard waste. you’re trying to do is insulate the roots from weather both hot and cold, so you lay it down about two inches thick and it takes the rear end beating of the elements instead of the plant

As other posters pointed out, this also helps retain water, so between that and not experiencing temperature swings as intensely, the plants will be waaaaaay less prone to stress and therefore disease and pests. This also helps marginal plants survive winters where they might otherwise freeze below ground, so mulch helps you play around in planting stuff beyond your zone

Additionally as the mulch decays, its nutrients will leech into the soil, giving the plants food and contributing to the health of the mycorrhizal and bacterial networks, all of which means you need to fertilize way less

Mulch fuckin owns and will make your garden significantly happier. For potted plants, it doesn’t matter, as they’re separated from the natural cycle of decay that mulch helps emulate/encourage in gardens and also don’t need year round protection, since you’re moving them to safety when poo poo gets bad

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
For some potted plants it's super important to have some layer down to protect from disease splashing up from the soil.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

The potted plants here are vegetable plants in SIP 5 gallon buckets so it may not be needed then. Nothing to splash anywhere anyway. I assume a couple of inches of mulch would help cut down a bit on clover and other unwanted plants a bit?

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

For some potted plants it's super important to have some layer down to protect from disease splashing up from the soil.

That’s a good point I hadn’t thought of, I usually just use pots for annuals or downright indestructible poo poo like sedum so it’s always fresh and relatively clean potting soil, didnt consider plants that just stay in the pot

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Heyoh, heads up! Saw the announcement about a new rotating subforum generally about outdoors, rather than just hiking, and I started a gardening thread, in the hopes of maybe attracting more people growing things that might not see this or the veggies and herb gardening thread.
Come post there too
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933097

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

B33rChiller posted:

Heyoh, heads up! Saw the announcement about a new rotating subforum generally about outdoors, rather than just hiking, and I started a gardening thread, in the hopes of maybe attracting more people growing things that might not see this or the veggies and herb gardening thread.
Come post there too

and my axe

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

B33rChiller posted:

Come post there too

I'm wondering if this is a good idea, splitting things even further. Would people prefer if we moved this thread into TGO?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I say move it. Lots of people don’t know that the DIY subforum exists. I’ve pointed people here in the past when they didn’t find a 3D printing thread in one of the electronics forums.

TGO is now and shiny and in the top level. Maybe some new people will see it there.

Most of the regulars get to it via bookmarks, I suspect, so they’ll keep visiting, and it’s better than splitting into yet another thread. The line between this and the gardening thread is already very fuzzy.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

OK I have given it some thought, I'm going to move this thread over to TGO, keep the gardening one in DIY, and direct all gardening chat out of TGO and into DIY.

See you there soon!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jaded Burnout posted:

OK I have given it some thought, I'm going to move this thread over to TGO, keep the gardening one in DIY, and direct all gardening chat out of TGO and into DIY.

See you there soon!
That's a good idea imo. This thread is a little more about how neat plants are and a little less about how to grow them, and would fit in well with the mushroom thread in TGO. Maybe rename the vegetable and herb gardening thread in DIY to be all gardening? Or rename the landscaping thread to be more general, non-food gardening?

There are already a few other gardening threads in different communities around the forums and I'm not having more is better. C-Spam and TFR I think have their own, but they are their own little worlds. It would be neat if a thread could appear in two different forums at once so people in TGO saw and posted in the same thread that DIY did, but I am sure that's impossible.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

It would be neat if a thread could appear in two different forums at once so people in TGO saw and posted in the same thread that DIY did, but I am sure that's impossible.

We've discussed it vaguely but just think about the chaos involved from a modding perspective, having a thread in two different posting cultures / rulesets at once.

You'd have to have some sort of treaty with thread IKs and aggh

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
With this move, we have finally eliminated the houseplants. 😈

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Platystemon posted:

With this move, we have finally eliminated the houseplants. 😈
:hmmyes:

Maybe we could get a name change that was a little less garden-y and a little more 'trees are rad'? Ideas?

I might not be able to contain myself and start spouting treefacts here soon.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Maybe we could get a name change that was a little less garden-y and a little more 'trees are rad'? Ideas?

I'm open to suggestions.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I want to get some food-bearing plants that are cold hardy for New York City - I have too much stuff already that needs to overwinter inside. Definitely thinking of a honeyberry bush, then maybe a highbush cranberry or a serviceberry. Any other ideas?

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

If this is supposed to be more of a botany thread having the title be about buying bulbs is probably misleading.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

So where should I post about houseplants now then?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I was joking. House plants are cool. :shobon:

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004

showbiz_liz posted:

I want to get some food-bearing plants that are cold hardy for New York City - I have too much stuff already that needs to overwinter inside. Definitely thinking of a honeyberry bush, then maybe a highbush cranberry or a serviceberry. Any other ideas?

Get some illegal blackcurrants.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Platystemon posted:

I was joking. House plants are cool. :shobon:

What if I have garden plants that turned into house plants? What thread does that go in? :confused: I got some Opuntia fragilis 'Potato' that I briefly put in the garden but then I became paranoid that a squirrel was going to ravage the cute little guys so I decided to dig them up and move them inside until they multiply enough that I can risk their offspring.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

cultureulterior posted:

Get some illegal blackcurrants.

Ooo, I didn't even think of those for some reason. That's going on the list for sure!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Wallet posted:

What if I have garden plants that turned into house plants? What thread does that go in? :confused:

That goes in Garden Plants That Turned Into House Plants, obviously, but keep it the gently caress away from House Plants That Turned Into Garden Plants, which we're thinking about making a subforum of Games.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

AI or DIY?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Definitely TCC

Sprue
Feb 21, 2006

please send nudes :shittydog:
:petdog:
Hey welcome to TGO :tbear:

So we talk about botany itt? I just got Botany in a Day and it's really helping me with learning the families. I finally get it now, that it's the flowers you use to identify families bc leafs and growth types change and adapt so quickly when a plant moves into a new environment, but it's reproductive strategies remain intact much longer.

My big surprise fact this week is that yarrow is an asteraceae (aster family), not an apiaceae (carrot/parsley family). Wtf. Everything about it, even its frilly little leafs remind me of wild carrot. Does anyone else have some unexpected grouping that surprised them, especially a common plant?

Edit: re: mulch discussion. Huge props to mulch, love that poo poo, but it's also worth noting that mulchs will tie up nitrogen in the soil as it breaks down, so dress accordingly. Also some plants in some regions loath mulch because it keeps their "feet wet", can also help spread disease by retaining moisture near the base of the plant. For instance, don't mulch lettuce if you live in a wet climate, bc it will rot out the bottom leaves :(

The township came by this spring and rough chipped all the downed trees on my road, which are now piles of crappy mulch for the taking. It's all pine so that sucks for everybody but the blueberries, I'm going to use it anyways cuz free is free. I feel like a thief tho pulling over on the side of the road and throwing buckets of chips into the back of my Prius

Sprue fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jul 18, 2020

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Sprue posted:

Hey welcome to TGO :tbear:

So we talk about botany itt? I just got Botany in a Day and it's really helping me with learning the families. I finally get it now, that it's the flowers you use to identify families bc leafs and growth types change and adapt so quickly when a plant moves into a new environment, but it's reproductive strategies remain intact much longer.

My big surprise fact this week is that yarrow is an asteraceae (aster family), not an apiaceae (carrot/parsley family). Wtf. Everything about it, even its frilly little leafs remind me of wild carrot. Does anyone else have some unexpected grouping that surprised them, especially a common plant?

Whoa no but I love learning so I'm excited to see what other people know!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Well when I was taking my first plant taxonomy class I was convinced I'd found a wild Kentucky coffee tree. The TA could have just told me it was a wisteria pod.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Sprue posted:

Maybe not news to anybody here but I grew a bunch of herbs for the first time this year and I realized that cilantro and dill and parsley and anise are all in the same aforementioned apiaceae family, and then mint, basil, rosemary, sage, marjoram, oregano, and thyme are all in the lamiaceae family. I never really thought about how these things were related before I started gardening.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Looking at plants is optical fibre, change my mind.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I'm glad the thread is transforming because I was just about to start up a new one specifically for wild plants. I'm a bio science tech with the USGS and I've been doing some side work cataloging plants for a species guide to the Owyhee Mountain range of Southwest Idaho while out in the field. If I can find the time, what I'd like to do is learn more & spread some knowledge about the native (and invasive) flora of this region by doing some deep-dive effort posts on the adaptations, reproductive mechanisms, microsite characteristics, ethnobotany, latin roots, etc. of particular genre and species. Anything that helps motivate me to actually sit down and read through some papers.

Today, I'm just going to drop some of the better photos I've taken and show off a few plants that I adore (and one I don't).

Apocynaceae, subfamily asclepiadoideae, Dogbane and Milkweed family
Showy milkweed
Asclepias speciosa
Symbol: ASSP
The co-evolutionary buddy and sole diet of the illustrious monarch butterfly, the latex sap of milkweeds contain cardenolides that monarch caterpillars have become uniquely adapted to digesting. These toxic alkaloids supposedly accumulate in the caterpillars, making them toxic or unpalatable to predators.

Pallid milkweed
Asclepias cryptoceras
Symbol: ASCR
Much less common than A. speciosa, this plant was found in a weak physical crust of extremely fine silt and bare grain soil on a slope with some extreme soil deposition. No flowers, sadly, but photographs of the fruits are incredibly hard to find for some reason. I'm not 100% positive on the ID but cryptoceras is the best bet for this region.

Liliaceae, Lily family
Sagebrush mariposa lily
Calachortus macrocarpa
Symbol: CAMA5
Fairly widespread and common, these perennial monocots are supremely well adapted to xeric conditions. They stay in bloom for amazingly long, particularly without any moisture whatsoever. Apparently they're crazy difficult to cultivate with bulb transplants rarely being successful, and gardener's need to suppress that compulsive need to water things because these guys like to stay completely dry for the entirety of the summer season once buds develop.

Asteraceae, Sunflower family
Douglas' dustymaiden
Chaenactis douglasii
Symbol: CHDO
Another widespread species, it's also known as "false yarrow" thanks to it's pinnately divided, heavily dissected leaves that curl in on themselves. Typically biennial, CHDO is a gorgeous plant in either the first or second year. As a seedling it has incredible fractal-looking basal rosettes, and the superior stamens are striking especially when they have a purple tint like the ones pictured.

Convolvulaceae, Morning Glory family
Field bindweed
Convolvulus arvensis
Symbol: COAR4
Aggressively invasive, field bindweed literally smothers the competition, develops a dense mat of vine and roots deep, making it exceptionally difficult to remove once established. Still, it's sort of pretty and makes a good example of it's family--5 sepals, 5 united petals, 5 stamens fused to the petals and a superior, 2-part syncarpous gynoecium.

I've got 70+ species and 4GB of photos in my collection to go through and it's expanding with each day that I spend in the field, which is just about every day. I'll take requests if anyone has a plant they think is interesting or wants to challenge me to find something.

Sprue
Feb 21, 2006

please send nudes :shittydog:
:petdog:

treat posted:

Awesome plant info and pics

Thesev are great, keep doing more! I've only seen showy milkweed in my region (Vermont) but it's cool to know there are other milkweeds out there. If you're taking requests, do you have Mormon tea in your area? For those of y'all that haven't heard about it, it's a plant that contains the infamous stimulant ephedra whose misuse in the 90s ending up with the substance being banned for some years, although it's back on the market now. Commercial ephedra comes from Ma Huang, a plant whose medicinal use goes back millennia in China but we're fortunate to have a less potent but still powerful plant known colloquially as Mormon tea that grows in xeric conditions in the west. Despite the fact that it's reputedly quite widespread I have never found it on road trips when I've been looking.

If any of you plant lovers out west have had better luck then me, I would love to trade for some seeds+dried foliage because I've had the tea before and it's great, I'm happy to trade any cool native plants from my region excluding anything endangered obviously because I'm not a monster lol. My yard is covered in wild strawberries, goldenrod, yarrow, heck maybe I should do some info posts on common plants in my area

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Can anyone recommend me a fairly large and colorful perennial plant for a 12” (or 14”) wide x 1’ deep pot that would do well on a roofed and shady, west facing front porch? I’m in Zone 6a, but I figure on bringing plants inside for the winter.

It’s a large porch and I have some large pots I’d love to fill :)

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

treat posted:

Good stuff

How wonderful! I always appreciate seeing wild flowers from other parts of the world.

I also have that twitch to ID every plant I see growing in disturbed lots, banks and ditches, parking lots. Not being able to identify one causes me to experience discomfort and nausea.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

OSU_Matthew posted:

Can anyone recommend me a fairly large and colorful perennial plant for a 12” (or 14”) wide x 1’ deep pot that would do well on a roofed and shady, west facing front porch? I’m in Zone 6a, but I figure on bringing plants inside for the winter.

It’s a large porch and I have some large pots I’d love to fill :)

Zone 6a... So like, Canadian Zone 7a, lol. Well, I'll go with what I know.

Something large in a 1'x1' container... You're still going to want a smaller plant or a dwarf variety. You can go for a smaller Rudbeckia or Echinacea. Those can overwinter pretty easily in pots. Since the pot size isn't that big, I'm almost afraid to suggest a mixed planting but you might be able to do something like Ajuga mixed with a small Heuchera/Heucherella and maybe a small grass of some sort.

If you want to bring the plant inside, you can try growing Coleus. I'm in a much colder climate with less sun in the winter time but I was still able to keep my chartreuse colored Coleus alive indoors. It pouts when it's brought back outside, though. They can get quite large and can offer you a huge range in leaf colors and shapes.

You can even try something like Abutilon or a jasmine if you bring them indoors.

You're not that limited!

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Sprue posted:

Thesev are great, keep doing more! I've only seen showy milkweed in my region (Vermont) but it's cool to know there are other milkweeds out there. If you're taking requests, do you have Mormon tea in your area? For those of y'all that haven't heard about it, it's a plant that contains the infamous stimulant ephedra whose misuse in the 90s ending up with the substance being banned for some years, although it's back on the market now. Commercial ephedra comes from Ma Huang, a plant whose medicinal use goes back millennia in China but we're fortunate to have a less potent but still powerful plant known colloquially as Mormon tea that grows in xeric conditions in the west. Despite the fact that it's reputedly quite widespread I have never found it on road trips when I've been looking.

If any of you plant lovers out west have had better luck then me, I would love to trade for some seeds+dried foliage because I've had the tea before and it's great, I'm happy to trade any cool native plants from my region excluding anything endangered obviously because I'm not a monster lol. My yard is covered in wild strawberries, goldenrod, yarrow, heck maybe I should do some info posts on common plants in my area

It isn't endemic to the Owyhee range, but it's nearby. I've come across Ephedra nevadensis in--get this--Nevada, just North of Ely. It was pretty heavily grazed so there wasn't much to see apart from some wired up cows. I'll definitely try to collect some seed if I run into it again.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

treat posted:

Today, I'm just going to drop some of the better photos I've taken and show off a few plants that I adore (and one I don't).

Going to echo the request for more of this.

This is the only milkweed I have (Asclepias tuberosa) that's flowering. It's native here but this one is admittedly in my garden (which I guess is cheating in this thread now).

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Zone 6a... So like, Canadian Zone 7a, lol. Well, I'll go with what I know.

Something large in a 1'x1' container... You're still going to want a smaller plant or a dwarf variety. You can go for a smaller Rudbeckia or Echinacea. Those can overwinter pretty easily in pots. Since the pot size isn't that big, I'm almost afraid to suggest a mixed planting but you might be able to do something like Ajuga mixed with a small Heuchera/Heucherella and maybe a small grass of some sort.

If you want to bring the plant inside, you can try growing Coleus. I'm in a much colder climate with less sun in the winter time but I was still able to keep my chartreuse colored Coleus alive indoors. It pouts when it's brought back outside, though. They can get quite large and can offer you a huge range in leaf colors and shapes.

You can even try something like Abutilon or a jasmine if you bring them indoors.

You're not that limited!

Awesome, thanks—just picked up a hanging coleus basket! Abutilon also looks great, just need to track down someplace to buy one.

Stopped by the local garden center today, and came out with a blue hydrangea that I repotted into a slightly larger 14” pot, and a pink caladeum. These will join some hanging begonia tubers.

I’m just really starting to get more into plants. Been gardening for a few years, and love being able to identify trees and various flora while hiking and backpacking. I’ve only recently been able to consistently care for indoor plants beyond succulents, bamboo, and aloe, so this all is pretty satisfying to finally do more. I’ve also got my grandmother’s Christmas Cactus, spidering plant from a coworker, Rose of Jericho, and avocado tree doing well in the kitchen.

In outside plant world, I divided up and replanted a buncha hostas outside along the house, and the ferns are doing well. The Lambs Ear also seems to have survived its transplant to the side yard, and is perking up.

I’ll see if I can post some pictures here in the next few days!

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

For all of you who like to id plants on the go, there's an app called iNaturalist that's pretty good. It's developed by California Academy of Sciences and Nat Geo, and it's completely free.

It utilizes continually improving image recognition along with geographical data to help you identify plants (and animals) — I've found that it's surprisingly decent.

It also keeps track of all the species you've found and their locations, for you loggers out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Anyone know what this is? When it first popped up in my garden I thought maybe I'd accidentally got a cucumber seed in there but it's not growing like cukes, going straight up instead. And the texture of the leaves is sort of smooth and peach fuzzy.