Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Egadsman posted:

Is it common knowledge that blazing blast for fire blast sentinels turns off enemy toggles for some reason? I just noticed this recently, and it's been amazingly useful (only in the mid-20s now, but so far tsoo sorcerers and BP shamans don't get to do poo poo), but all I ever see people say about this power is that they don't like the knockback/repel effect.

It looks like it's because it applies a magnitude 4 hold for less than a second, I guess while the repel is going, which is enough to kill toggles but not otherwise impede the enemy significantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egadsman
Apr 16, 2007

Had a chance to look at the power description for blazing blast. Turns out that it applies a 4.00 mag hold for the same duration as it's repel effect. Mystery solved.

e: beaten to it

hemanoncrack
Jan 23, 2003

I AM WET
I just learned about this today, I am so happy. I played this game on launch day (Hunks) and while all my other GoonSquad teammates (only names I remember are Dreamcaster, PUSHER BOT, and OrphanSparrow) hit 50 in like a month it took me a year.

I loved this game so much, IMO it was the best MMO because I was too casual of a player. So excited this is back!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hell yeah, it rules

I somehow missed out on CoX when it was originally live--I played for a couple weeks when it first launched and that's it--but I've absolutely loved it since I started playing on Homecoming. It's just such a unique and fun game.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

hemanoncrack posted:

I just learned about this today, I am so happy. I played this game on launch day (Hunks) and while all my other GoonSquad teammates (only names I remember are Dreamcaster, PUSHER BOT, and OrphanSparrow) hit 50 in like a month it took me a year.

I loved this game so much, IMO it was the best MMO because I was too casual of a player. So excited this is back!

I remember you! Welcome back!

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I emerge from my slumber to announce that I have snagged the name "Mayor Maynot"

He is an evil mayor

e: I assume most of his plans revolve around paving over a park to turn it into a fast-food restaurant or something

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

FrostyPox posted:

I emerge from my slumber to announce that I have snagged the name "Mayor Maynot"

He is an evil mayor

e: I assume most of his plans revolve around paving over a park to turn it into a fast-food restaurant or something

if you want evil mayor ideas consider looking into what's going on in seattle or portland right now

LordSaturn fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jul 18, 2020

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

LordSaturn posted:

if you want evil mayor ideas consider looking into what's going on in seattle or portland right now

True but I was going for more like "Saturday Morning Cartoon" evil, not depressing terrible real world evil

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Yeah, it's a little hard to cackle and rub your hands over "And I shall INSTALL BIKE RACKS where the homeless like to sleep! Mwa ha ha!"

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

In fact I just realized I got my example for "pave over park for fast food restaurant" from Parks and Recreation when the Pawnee Town council votes to do just that lol

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I'm just saying, Mayor Maynot has a crown and a sash and he's a Soldiers MM and all of his soldiers are named after famous television policemen

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Haven't played in a while and was thinking of getting back into this. Is it possible to transfer characters, or should I just bite the bullet and make a new character on Excelsior?

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

Haven't played in a while and was thinking of getting back into this. Is it possible to transfer characters, or should I just bite the bullet and make a new character on Excelsior?
Yup, you can transfer characters just fine. In fact, every month? you can transfer up to five characters between servers.

Names may be taken though, so if there would be a conflict of names, you'll get a standardised name you'd have to change yourself.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Thanks. Any idea what happens if the character owns a supergroup and a base? Does that all have to get taken apart? Or does it transfer with the owning character?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Are we still on Indom primarily?

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
I think most moved to Excelsior

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

1) the main goon server is now excelsior, because it has the most population
2) you get three transfer tokens, and if you spend one, you get another five days later

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
If I ever came back goddamn I would have a lot of alts to move.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Anyone have any idea what happens to Supergroups and Bases when the character that owns them transfers?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

Anyone have any idea what happens to Supergroups and Bases when the character that owns them transfers?

Leadership gets passed to the guy with the highest rank. If the last person in an SG leaves, the SG and base vanish.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

HC posted some info on the status of things: https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/21675-state-of-the-project-august-2020/

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
basically a reminder that they're supposedly negotiating with NCsoft, new launcher, and either new freakshow enemies OR freakshow costume parts (or both)

Plus, some kinda riddle hinting at other stuff they're working on:

quote:

Friends, Romans, Offworlders, and Catgirls!

Lend me your ears! (Easy there, catgirls)

A secret is buried in a feature to come,
One that requires some justice be done.

In time for this task, you should once have faced proud,
And then slipped into darkness, your heart in a shroud.

You see, there's a consequence to having ideals
When you change your mind and start looting for meals.

At the end of it all, when the sirens are blaring,
And you start your assault, while the new army's staring,

Seventeen pens are looking for tenants...
Seventeen souls confined to seek penance.

The first count as five, and come as a squad;
A pirate and a commander and a mute, how odd.

Not to mention the swapping of bits
On the lovebirds, who aren't, and always pitch fits.

Then there's the trials on the isle of yore,
A trio of solutions you must record.

Become bane of the caldera, impose your hegemony
Then seek out and humble the son of Alcmene,

Finally you should arrest the cyst-maker
And that is the end of those troublemakers.

Of course that's not all, we count seventeen,
There's more on your hit list, it's time to get mean.

An art thief's on the list, a fight steeped in honor.
And so is a widow whose sub is a goner.

You wouldn't have met her if not for the Doctor,
Whose book is now finished, a literary shocker.

Also in your travels, a deranged little psychic,
Searching for the trinket that grants wishes. (Neat trick!)

The Lords of Death both met their fate,
And another you met on your trek to the gate.

You went to court and toppled the monarchy,
After the kerfuffle in Overbrook de-tenured a Ph.D.

Finally, find Freedom at the annual game,
And claim the honor of gold medal fame.

Doing these tasks may seem a tedious chore,
But it is of the first and there will be more.

Nothing is missed by ignoring this poem,
But heeding it will give you something to show them.

The honor could be yours, if all seventeen make a racket
And justice is thwarted, for a badge on your jacket.

Rhyming 'Neat Trick' with 'Psychic' is a reach IMO.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I'm immediately paranoid the talks with NCSoft is just NCsoft getting ready to sue and DMCA the whole thing.
Remember this is the company that refused to sell CoH to the actual devteam since they needed a sacrificial lamb, and their pattern had always been 'blame and shutter the western devs' whenever there was a bad year. Maybe find a way to pinpoint this going live corelating to their failed Heroes of the Storm rip off "No one would pay to play as our valuable IP 'United Statesman' in our new game, because they could play him in these pirate servers!"

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I think if they were gonna DMCA Homecoming they would have done it by now but who knows. NCSoft is not the most rational actor.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Yeah that's why my paranoia was more "NCSoft is handing over some dross, like unused assets. Oh but before we do we want a contract to let you use our stuff legally. Just make sure to give us all this info like your real addresses and info on the finances of your fan server. Hmm nevermind the deal is off, here's a lawsuit" but who knows, they could be cash strapped, and whoever had the giant grudges could be long gone. Better to make a little cash officially licensing a dead IP than take it to your grave.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Or the ultra nice thing: "Scrub it of our IP, and you can just use the assets. So replace the feature characters with knock offs"

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Oh, right. Someone got banned for posting it on the HC Discord, but this is from the SCORE server:

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Crasical posted:

Rhyming 'Neat Trick' with 'Psychic' is a reach IMO.
Even "nice trick" would have worked better.

Anyway, this riddle is hinting at a badge hunt, maybe completing certain story lines without associated badges, but there are definitely more than seventeen badges or exploits being hinted at.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
I assume that it's taking a while for NCSoft to negotiate because they're probably trying to figure out how much money they could make versus the cost to resurrect it versus letting a third-party server run. But I'd say if they were going to shut it down, they would've done it already.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Oh, right. Someone got banned for posting it on the HC Discord, but this is from the SCORE server:

ah yes, the famous ban-worthy offense of "posting a powerset description"

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

don't worry, Leandro's subjects are used to getting banned

EDIT: I found it interesting that they've replaced the launcher wholesale. I wonder if the new one's going up on github...

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
the negotiations with ncsoft are a preview of how long it'll take for jeffery to buy the forums from lowtax

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

LordSaturn posted:

don't worry, Leandro's subjects are used to getting banned

EDIT: I found it interesting that they've replaced the launcher wholesale. I wonder if the new one's going up on github...

Yeah I was about to say, there's nothing I'd put past the Gaslighting Cop Squad.

I sincerely doubt they'll be sharing anything wrt code, though. They seem like they've been trying their hardest to distance themselves from all the other private servers and keep things very closed source. iirc someone on their forums was working on an online character builder in their spare time only for the devs to basically come out and announce "hey we're doing the same thing except with an API to pull live data and no you can't have it!"

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Ugh. Everytime I try to get back into this game I'm reminded of just how fugly the women models are -- the hands are always too tiny, the legs too long, and all the faces are just ghastly. I'll spend an hour trying to make something that doesn't look like they crawled out of a 90's Liefeld comic book and eventually just give up and do something else.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

Ugh. Everytime I try to get back into this game I'm reminded of just how fugly the women models are -- the hands are always too tiny, the legs too long, and all the faces are just ghastly. I'll spend an hour trying to make something that doesn't look like they crawled out of a 90's Liefeld comic book and eventually just give up and do something else.

Yeah, it's weird how the muscle slider doesn't hit the arms at all. Street Justice demands some Abby arms, at least.

Legs at least can get pulled down in the slider.

Anyway, it's honorary Rikti invasion week with the Lady Grey as a target. I finally got to team with a kin on my kin brute, and raking some fools with AoEs at 600% damage is great fun.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Glazius posted:

Legs at least can get pulled down in the slider.

I'd forgotten about this, but it's true: the women models look a lot less Rob Liefeld if you turn the legs slider all the way down and then boost their height back to where it was. it's not a total solution but I find it a big improvement when I want to make a lady not built like Bayonetta

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

yeah, there's like...two faces I am remotely okay with? I'd use Floating Heads for the longest time or Orb Heads just to get away from the faces.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is it worth getting this installed or is NCSoft gonna issue a purge next week?

I played some CoH way back in the good old days. I had a lightning speedster character, it was cool

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I played some CoH way back in the good old days. I had a lightning speedster character, it was cool

it's been around for over a year now, NCSoft is NCSoft but they don't seem quite as zealous as they used to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

even if they did, it's no skin off your nose. you run the patcher, you make an account, it all takes care of itself