Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

grillster posted:

I like the Cisco hold music because it makes me feel smart when I can say "oh that's the default Cisco music."

Check out this telco’s NES inspired hold music:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Thanks Ants posted:

I would actively send business to a vendor that had an option to press a button to turn the music off and just get a beep every 30s or so. Playing music over some budget SIP service using GSM compression is a war crime.

We used this as our hold music for the helpdesk at my last job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CN49Feexb8

Bob Morales posted:

it sounds like 'my first mario paint' songs.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 17, 2020

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Volguus posted:

Interesting. So would it be safe to assume that if you're calling sales to (presumably) order something, they would have a different "tune"?

If you all sales you don't go in to a hold queue. Just straight to a rep willing to take your money.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

We used this as our hold music for the helpdesk at my last job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CN49Feexb8

it sounds like 'my first mario paint' songs.

I quite like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYoEJvyKKM0

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

:eng101: Hey $HelpdeskCoworker, send me your call details for that outbound call issue that we're troubleshooting together. Use the same format that's already in the ticket.

:) Ok, it's in the ticket! <immediately goes to lunch>

The format:
Date/Time
Calling number
Dialed number
Result

Their update:
A partial screenshot of their cell phone call log, containing a contact name, no number and the timestamp "21 minutes ago". The system clock was not visible.

:eng99:

Man I'm so burned out, I gotta get out of user support. And law firms - don't work at law firms.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

User: “hey you emailed me to update my phone to the new email thing?”

Me: Oh cool that should take about five minutes (moving from Good to UEM)

User: “btw I got a new phone”

Hands over unopened box from Verizon containing new iPhone

Now I get to backup current phone to iCloud then restore to new phone then install new email thing

:mad:

Wouldn’t have been a big deal if was scheduled and not surprise at One hour before the end of the day

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
On a Friday. That's taxable.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Bob Morales posted:

User: “hey you emailed me to update my phone to the new email thing?”

Me: Oh cool that should take about five minutes (moving from Good to UEM)

User: “btw I got a new phone”

Hands over unopened box from Verizon containing new iPhone

Now I get to backup current phone to iCloud then restore to new phone then install new email thing

:mad:

Wouldn’t have been a big deal if was scheduled and not surprise at One hour before the end of the day

We have a user that is famous on the help desk for the 5:55 PM calls. Even when I was there, which was a long, long time ago, I remember him.
"Hey, I just got a new cell phone, and I don't know how to transfer the address book"
"Well, that is outside our department, I have no idea how'd you do that, maybe you should take it to Verizon?"
"Ok, I was just there and they said they could do it, but I thought I'd ask you guys first."
This was back in 2004. He still does things like this today.

What is funny is that years later, I was at a Verizon place helping my mom get a phone, and while talking to the worker, he asked where I worked. I mentioned the place and he said "Oh, do you know <Person>? Because he is here all the time asking how to things." Those poor people.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Bob Morales posted:

Ours was pieces of the SimCity 3000 OST, but now it's cloud hosted and I don't think I could slip anything in so we're on Opus Number 1.

e: Holy Crap Opus Number 1 was made by a 16 year old lmao, good job.

quote:

Corbett asks Carleton if he'd ever gotten anything from his composition's spread.

"Has it ever yielded anything good for you? If it hasn't made you money, has anyone ever bought you a drink in a bar? Have you picked up women with it?" she asks. "Is there any rockstar application?"

"No," he says, "I don't think I've ever tried the, 'You know, I wrote the default hold music for a lot of companies, so...' "

less than three fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jul 18, 2020

J
Jun 10, 2001

CitizenKain posted:

We have a user that is famous on the help desk for the 5:55 PM calls.

We've got a guy like this. His first mention of an issue is always after 5pm, then he will freak out at 8am the next day saying he hasn't gotten a response in a FULL DAY :derp:

But his boss and everybody in IT are already well aware of this shtick and basically just ignore him, he gets to wait in line like everybody else.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

I wrote a few emails at the beginning of the week to a new vendor team contact with some questions that directly relate to supporting an upcoming deadline, and a request to call and chat. It's now Saturday, and zero response on either.

I guess they didn't realize their CEO is in the CC chain and zero response is just going to chum the waters there. As my new team contact, all they've got to is respond to let me know they're on it.

grillster fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jul 18, 2020

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
Me: Hey, no one can log into this admin portal or, you know, do their jobs. Here’s a screenshot of the error, a video of the weird stuff it does first, and every log file in the known universe.

VMware support: Ok, can you please confirm if the issue is still occurring?

Me: The one I just told you about 5 seconds ago? Yes, it’s still occurring.

VMware support: Ok, please provide a screenshot. (Repeat for literally every other file I already provided when I opened the ticket.) Ok, can you please confirm if the issue is still occurring?

Me: Yes, you’ve done literally nothing to fix it, and as a surprise to no one, it’s still happening.

VMware support: Ok, we will escalate your ticket and you will receive a response in 30 to 47 business months.

Thanks, “premier” support.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Sonic Dude posted:

Me: Hey, no one can log into this admin portal or, you know, do their jobs. Here’s a screenshot of the error, a video of the weird stuff it does first, and every log file in the known universe.

VMware support: Ok, can you please confirm if the issue is still occurring?

Me: The one I just told you about 5 seconds ago? Yes, it’s still occurring.

VMware support: Ok, please provide a screenshot. (Repeat for literally every other file I already provided when I opened the ticket.) Ok, can you please confirm if the issue is still occurring?

Me: Yes, you’ve done literally nothing to fix it, and as a surprise to no one, it’s still happening.

VMware support: Ok, we will escalate your ticket and you will receive a response in 30 to 47 business months.

Thanks, “premier” support.

Nobody working in the business consider paying VMware support contracts for anything but getting software updates. Their support was lackluster well before getting bought by dell.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

SlowBloke posted:

Nobody working in the business consider paying VMware support contracts for anything but getting software updates. Their support was lackluster well before getting bought by dell.
It’s even worse. This is former AirWatch support, which somehow got worse after VMware switched it over.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
The path to an actual engineer through customer support is often fraught with peril.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

You're calling the helpdesk on the weekend to have someone remove 'Contractor' for your Outlook Address Book entry?

This will certainly end the petty squabble you are having with someone who's title-driven.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

I've got this code to digest for a project where I am to find the most appropriate hook point for an addition to it. It's not my code, just something provided by the vendor. It's easy enough to navigate, but the programmer(s) combined underscore_case with camelCase with Dumbfuckcase and didn't hardly do any sort of tab-alignment or break long parameters into individual lines. I'm trying to ignore the spelling error or two in the variables.

At least it works for the most part.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

SlowBloke posted:

AirWatch support is like taking a walk through hell, but overall that is a poo poo That Pisses Me Off. I've had so many vendors do it. Since it's not your first rodeo with them opening a case you attach everything they will (from their script) request over the first 3 e-mails but they just blatantly ignore it.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

J posted:

We've got a guy like this. His first mention of an issue is always after 5pm, then he will freak out at 8am the next day saying he hasn't gotten a response in a FULL DAY :derp:

But his boss and everybody in IT are already well aware of this shtick and basically just ignore him, he gets to wait in line like everybody else.

This reminds me of my favorite client from my old job.

I used to ride the subway home from downtown to a stop where I'd parked my car, then drive the rest of the way home, so I'd come up from the train station at about 5:45 and get cell reception. This client company would have multiple users email with issues and they'd all hit my phone as I came up the escalator on my way to my car, to go home (out day ended at 5 PM, theirs ended at 6 PM).

It happened so often I began to think they'd had an all-hands meeting or something where the owners said "unless it's absolutely stopping you from working, don't contact IT with issues until after 5 PM"

Naturally, I started just ignoring all these emails until the start of the next business day.

One of the owners there on two separate occasions emailed me over the weekend saying he could not browse the internet on his iPhone anymore. Both times I told him to turn it off and back on (he was a real problem child and I would have taken some heat from management if I had not responded to him)

One of the last things that happened before I quit was they were having their office remodeled, and multiple times the people doing the electrical work somehow cut the power to the server room. Apparently, due to the kind of work they were doing, this was something that was just going to happen from time to time (?!?) no matter how much we begged them to stop it.

So there was a period of about two weeks when I had to hang around every day until 6 PM when they left, then spend an hour shutting down their VMs and ESX hosts, powering down file servers and switches and the phone system and unplugging the rack's UPS from the wall. And making sure they'd all shut down their computers. All billed to them as OT of course, but that did not make me feel better.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Sonic Dude posted:

It’s even worse. This is former AirWatch support, which somehow got worse after VMware switched it over.

I am so loving triggered rn.
I called their support and all they managed to do was completely gently caress both my installations and database.

I had to restore a backup and fix it all myself with nothing but their terrible installation documentation, after like 4 loving days of 8 hour support calls.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I called their support and all they managed to do was completely gently caress both my installations and database.

I had to restore a backup and fix it all myself with nothing but their terrible installation documentation, after like 4 loving days of 8 hour support calls.

Outsourcing the support saved money! Making it worse than useless, (IE: making it disruptive), could in no way be a bad business model!

Lynxifer
Jan 2, 2005
Comedy "Buttsecks" Option

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

"Hi AirWatch Support, I am getting error <problem that is nothing to do with on premise and 100% AirWatch>"
"Hello yes, please can we have a remote session to diagnose this fault."
"Why? This is clearly a fault on your infrastructure and we have nothing but AD connectors on premise. What do you need from me and I can generate it."
"Sir, I am just doing my job as a useless person following a flow chart. If you cannot provide this, then I will close the call."

Yeah, AirWatch support is a nightmare. Never was good. If you even mention MDM then they either blame your settings or the hardware provider.

It is 100% never them ever please hang up, etc etc.

Happy Litterbox
Jan 2, 2010
Why even provide support at that point? I see a lot of cost saving opporturnities there.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
IMHO there is zero value currently in airwatch, whatever they do for mobiles you are better off even with intune or the barebone phone management google provides to apps users. If you are using airwatch for managing macs move to jamf, if you are using it for windows use sccm or intune. Staying on airwatch is just delaying the inevitable(when vmware eventually offloads it like zimbra or EoL like mirage).

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

People not deleting their testing etc VM's and snapshopts :argh:

Edit:

Also people who don't check the ticketing system but email/IM for status updates...

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jul 20, 2020

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Bob Morales posted:

Also people who don't check the ticketing system but email/IM for status updates...

Or call about it. "Ticket X is super urgent, why hasn't it been updated?!?!?" "I see the last update was an hour ago, from us, asking you for more information." "Oh. *click*"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

"This very annoying problem will be fixed in the next firmware release"
"Ok, cool. When is that due out?"
"I don't know"

Great, very helpful

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sounds like meraki support

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

"This Chrome Tablets don't recognize QR codes, can you look into it?"

The camera on these is terrible. Like no barcodes or anything scan.

Print out a QR code at 2" x 2" instead of the 1cm x 1cm or whatever tiny size they stickered all our assets with. Success!

Solution I presented: Print bigger QR codes, or buy Chrome tablets with better cameras.

"Can't you fix it with a firmware update or something! Goddammit call ASUS"

Guy sitting behind me said he was tasked with the same thing a few months ago and came to the same conclusion.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Oh Cybercoders...

"Maybe it’s time for a change of pace in your career. I have an opportunity in Los Angeles, CA for you to check out: Commercial Roofing Manager"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bob Morales posted:

"This Chrome Tablets don't recognize QR codes, can you look into it?"

The camera on these is terrible. Like no barcodes or anything scan.

Print out a QR code at 2" x 2" instead of the 1cm x 1cm or whatever tiny size they stickered all our assets with. Success!

Solution I presented: Print bigger QR codes, or buy Chrome tablets with better cameras.

"Can't you fix it with a firmware update or something! Goddammit call ASUS"

Guy sitting behind me said he was tasked with the same thing a few months ago and came to the same conclusion.

Buy a load of magnifying glasses for the users to carry around and close the ticket

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

The Fool posted:

Sounds like meraki support

Can't be because they didn't offer him a beta version and tell him "oh yes no it says beta but we've actually had it running for 8 months now it's perfectly fine".

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Technology sucks and I don't want to touch computers any more, you spend all day solving problems and your conferencing and communication software works fine for all the boring stuff (support calls, company briefings).

But as soon as you want to crack open some beers and do some social distanced webcam goofing around with your team before the day is out, computer decides to poo poo itself and make it miserable.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Setting up sso for a saas platform that will be handling a bunch of our financial data.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

The Fool posted:

Setting up sso for a saas platform that will be handling a bunch of our financial data.

Well yeah, SHA is #1 in security!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

gently caress, at least it has SSO

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Not tech related, but my mom died this week (gently caress cancer) and the funeral home sent me a draft of her obituary. It was nine (several single-sentence) paragraphs, the last of which was basically a text ad for their services. "She chose us for her blah blah blah and blah blah and call us at 555-gently caress-off for all your funeral needs"

Like...over 10% of her obit was an ad.

...That's really in bad taste, or is it just me?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

ConfusedUs posted:

Not tech related, but my mom died this week (gently caress cancer) and the funeral home sent me a draft of her obituary. It was nine (several single-sentence) paragraphs, the last of which was basically a text ad for their services. "She chose us for her blah blah blah and blah blah and call us at 555-gently caress-off for all your funeral needs"

The funeral industry is a loving emotional and financial parasite.

It's in ridiculously bad loving taste, but is about par for the course for the industry and America as a whole.

EDIT:

Maybe not the time for you, CU (I'm sorry for your loss), but Adam Ruins Everything did a segment about how funerals are ripoffs (really don't watch this, ConfusedUs; save it for a couple of months, it'll probably just make you feel crappy):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGqbALhpUmM

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 21, 2020

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

ConfusedUs posted:

Stunningly bad.

And my sincere sympathies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Thanatosian posted:

The funeral industry is a loving emotional and financial parasite.

It's in ridiculously bad loving taste, but is about par for the course for the industry and America as a whole.

EDIT:

Maybe not the time for you, CU (I'm sorry for your loss), but Adam Ruins Everything did a segment about how funerals are ripoffs (really don't watch this, ConfusedUs; save it for a couple of months, it'll probably just make you feel crappy):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGqbALhpUmM

My mom, being the total badass she was (and also knowing she was dying), took care of nearly everything beforehand. We are paying a few things (paying the town to open/close the grave, death certs, etc), but she made all the arrangements with the funeral home beforehand. Funeral home is getting some cash, but it's a barebones thing. Baseline everything.

She wanted no funeral. Just a simple, short graveside service. She's being cremated, and her ashes buried in the family plot. No preacher. She pre-wrote what she wants said. We're to play two songs, one of which is Sinatra's "My Way."

In her words, "I don't want a pity party when I'm gone. Throw a real party a few months later, if you want. Play some loud music, maybe piss off the neighbors, get real high if you want."