Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
That fact you have little power and can be hosed over by things outside your control works well on a thematic level in Telltale's GoT but it doesn't make it a good game.

But sometimes I feel like the only person who didn't hate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Doctor Spaceman posted:

That fact you have little power and can be hosed over by things outside your control works well on a thematic level in Telltale's GoT but it doesn't make it a good game.

But sometimes I feel like the only person who didn't hate it.

It would have been less jarring if that was also a new character doing that to you rather than Ramsey, I think. Having him be the guy to stroll through and gently caress up your poo poo just says that what you’re doing doesn’t matter in a way that Lord Bonerhitler of House Dickbutt wouldn’t.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Terminator Resistance is an excellent game that flew under a lot of people's radars, and which I can thoroughly recommend to anyone who likes a jolly good bit of FPS action. It really captures the feel of the good Terminator films, and the Terminators themselves have a really well-realized air of menace as they clank towards you, often on fire, laying down a hail of plasma fire.

However it has a couple of sex scenes.

From a first person perspective.

They are perhaps the least erotic thing I've ever seen. They feel jarringly out of place when they happen, the uncanny valley is in full effect, and technology has definitely not progressed past "depictions of awkwardly thrusting at dead-eyed mannequins". Someone tried to lovingly craft these scenes, going into so much detail as to have the female characters deliver an eye-widening gasp upon penetration, and it's just tremendously off-putting.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Breetai posted:

They are perhaps the least erotic thing I've ever seen.

*tentatively crosses out Ride to Hell: Retribution*

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Der Kyhe posted:

I'd say that their formula was not only not improving, it was regressing and going towards simplified graphic novel route aggressively.

Shifting to a different genre is not a "regression" from adventure games, lmao.

Tiggum posted:

The thing about that interpretation though is that it's not actually something the game does. If you're going to advertise that your game has meaningful choices then they need to affect the plot, because otherwise you're not doing anything that any other game doesn't do. You can play Doom as a guy who just hates hell demons so drat much that he'll hunt down and kill every last one, or as a guy who is just trying to survive and get out of this situation, and the game doesn't need to do anything to support that because it's just something you, the player, can do. If the game's choices are just about how you, the player, conceptualise the character you're playing as then the game has done nothing.

Uh, yeah it's something the game actually does. Because it puts a menu on the screen where you have to make a decision. A "meaningless" choice can still have value for reasons beyond mechanically changing the game state.

Doom is also a funny example because the Doom Marine isn't as much of a blank slate as you seem to think he is. (And I have to assume you mean OG Doom because if you mean the Doom Slayer then loving :lol:)

Edit: Doom doesn't hinge on the Doomguy's character nor is the player ever expected to interrogate it. Whereas whether or not Lee puts his self-interest ahead of being selfless is uh...a pretty fundamental trope of zombie survival poo poo?

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 03:26 on Jul 18, 2020

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

John Murdoch posted:

Uh, yeah it's something the game actually does. Because it puts a menu on the screen where you have to make a decision. A "meaningless" choice can still have value for reasons beyond mechanically changing the game state.
You are literally just imagining that you're playing a better game than the one that actually exists.

John Murdoch posted:

Doom is also a funny example because the Doom Marine isn't as much of a blank slate as you seem to think he is.
If you're referring to the backstory in the readme file, that's also not actually part of the game and I doubt many people who played it had any idea that was there.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Doomguy beat the poo poo out of his commanding officer who ordered him to fire on civilians in Hawaii.

Doomguy fights demons no matter who or what.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

John Murdoch posted:

Shifting to a different genre is not a "regression" from adventure games, lmao.

Yet, everything they ever sold was "adventure games", with ever so increasingly small amount of features or player freedom to dick around in the setting.

Dropping features, depth and complexity in sake of mass-production while neglecting technically developing your product line is not changing genre, its a business suit-driven attempt to grab money from as many franchises as possible before running out of momentum or customer goodwill.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Tiggum posted:

You are literally just imagining that you're playing a better game than the one that actually exists.

The hell are you talking about.

Tiggum posted:

If you're referring to the backstory in the readme file, that's also not actually part of the game and I doubt many people who played it had any idea that was there.

I'm referring to that (which, given the age of Doom, "it's not actually part of the game" is iffy ground to stand on), but also the second-person narration in the chapter breaks, the way Doom Guy's mug is literally part of the UI, and to say nothing of the tone and mechanics of the game. There's not zero wiggle room whatsoever, but more to the point Doom Guy's character is otherwise irrelevant to the game as a whole. Doom doesn't expect you to give a poo poo beyond what the developers already sketched out, so the game doesn't ask your opinion.

But in a narrative-first, character-focused game? Ruminating on what kind of person the player character is isn't a masturbatory intellectual exercise, it's basic loving roleplaying.

Der Kyhe posted:

Yet, everything they ever sold was "adventure games", with ever so increasingly small amount of features or player freedom to dick around in the setting.

Dropping features, depth and complexity in sake of mass-production while neglecting technically developing your product line is not changing genre, its a business suit-driven attempt to grab money from as many franchises as possible before running out of momentum or customer goodwill.

Funny thing, looking at the Steam pages for TWD, Tales from the Borderlands, Wolf Among Us...they're not described as adventure games. At all. And even if you want to take the user-defined "Adventure" tag as gospel...then you're still barking up the wrong tree because that's the single most broad and vague genre label of all time. (To whit, you might be interested in two more big Adventure games that have hit Steam recently: Sea of Thieves and Death Stranding.)

That aside, judging their narrative-driven, VN-esque output based on the standards of more traditional adventure games is dumb as hell. The Wolf Among Us doesn't lack inventory puzzles or whatever bullshit checkbox you're looking for because they were cheap and cutting corners. It's because that's not the type of game they were making, dingus.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 13:47 on Jul 18, 2020

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

christmas boots posted:

It was terrible because you’re adjacent to all of the canon characters but you can’t do a thing about it, so at the end of ep 1 Ramsey shows up and there’s not a loving thing you can do because he’s an important character and you’re literally filler.

Lmao it sounds like that weird GameCube lord of the rings RPG where you play as the off brand Fellowship and just follow the main characters around

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

John Murdoch posted:

The hell are you talking about.

Not me, but pretending like a meaningless choice is an actual choice is like pretending there's a pit in a platformer and jumping over it. It's something you can do and it might make it more fun for you, but you are literally making up things that don't exist in the actual game. There has to be a difference between choices for choice to actually exist. If I offer you coffee and ask if you want milk then just put milk in it regardless of what you say I have not actually offered you a choice even though I've gone through all the superficial motions as though I were giving you a choice.

I agree that there was more to the choices given in the Telltale games at first. They did a great job of making it feel like your choices matter. Which is frankly just as good for as long as the illusion lasted. If you can put on the box that you have meaningful choices and then fool the player into believing it then that's perfectly fine. But the very second the illusion is broken, giving that player the same false choices becomes worthless, and players found out long before Telltale kept trying to fool them. It was not a trick that they could keep on pulling for the same returns.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
It's more like asking for milk instead of cream in your coffee, and seeing the barista put in milk, but before you get the coffee he trips and spills the coffee all over the place and you don't get to have it because you getting coffee isn't part of the narrative.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Lmao it sounds like that weird GameCube lord of the rings RPG where you play as the off brand Fellowship and just follow the main characters around

It's exactly like this, also you're head of House Forester and you're known for having magic trees

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

That game owned and my friend and I played the poo poo out of it.

But yes you did indeed just follow the fellowship around like 20 minutes behind them, including helping Gandalf against the Balrog and Eowyn against the Witch King.

Piell has a new favorite as of 15:04 on Jul 18, 2020

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

But in a narrative-first, character-focused game? Ruminating on what kind of person the player character is isn't a masturbatory intellectual exercise, it's basic loving roleplaying.
"Roleplaying" in a single-player game is literally just writing fanfiction in your head. "Masturbatory intellectual exercise" is a pretty good way to describe it.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Yeah? What's wrong with that?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Tiggum posted:

"Roleplaying" in a single-player game is literally just writing fanfiction in your head. "Masturbatory intellectual exercise" is a pretty good way to describe it.

Today Tiggum discovered the concept of imagination. Unsurprisingly he was not a fan.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The main impact of choices in Telltale games was different lines of dialogue and hence somewhat different relationships between characters. That's not nothing, it's just not much.

For more content: the train in AC:Syndicate is a fun idea in principle but there's no reason to go there beyond a few missions and picking up money. The upgrade stuff can all be done from menus and a lot of the train-specific missions start you on the wrong side of the map on a train that moves far too slowly.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I literally cannot imagine caring about a Telltale game enough to fly off the handle like Murdoch here

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Everybody who has played a Telltale product would call them adventure games unless they've got some kind of chip on their shoulder. Genre confusion is one of those things where the people arguing "no this is actually a VN / walking sim / not really a game" are only doing it because they personally dislike them, not because they're legitimately invested in their categorization.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I like the Telltale games and I would not call them adventure games.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

For some people the fact that a character is guaranteed to die in a Telltale game means that your choices involving them are irrelevant. For some people the fact that that character can die either loving you or hating you means that your choices involving them are very relevant.

This is a difference of opinion that will never be bridged.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Its also about the feeling of freedom; are you allowed to do or try whatever you feel logical or would be something that might work in the long run to solve a larger problem, or are you one of the actors participating in a play that more or less railroads you from one scene to another.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

SiKboy posted:

Today Tiggum discovered the concept of imagination. Unsurprisingly he was not a fan.

I already knew we were in peak Tiggum territory but goddamn. :allears:

Phigs posted:

Not me, but pretending like a meaningless choice is an actual choice is like pretending there's a pit in a platformer and jumping over it. It's something you can do and it might make it more fun for you, but you are literally making up things that don't exist in the actual game. There has to be a difference between choices for choice to actually exist. If I offer you coffee and ask if you want milk then just put milk in it regardless of what you say I have not actually offered you a choice even though I've gone through all the superficial motions as though I were giving you a choice.

I agree that there was more to the choices given in the Telltale games at first. They did a great job of making it feel like your choices matter. Which is frankly just as good for as long as the illusion lasted. If you can put on the box that you have meaningful choices and then fool the player into believing it then that's perfectly fine. But the very second the illusion is broken, giving that player the same false choices becomes worthless, and players found out long before Telltale kept trying to fool them. It was not a trick that they could keep on pulling for the same returns.

There's no pretending going on. It's not about lying to yourself that a choice with no narrative impact actually does possess it. It's that not every choice is implemented with the singular goal of branching the narrative or otherwise having lasting consequences. And that's to say nothing of divorcing "legitimate" choices from their extant consequences. Mass Effect is more my wheelhouse, so let me use a example from that: The big Geth choice in ME2. I didn't take the time to ruminate on which way I should go because of the blind expectation that years later it would have some kind of tangible effect on my ME3 playthrough, no, I gave it some genuine contemplation because it was a drat good dilemma in and of itself.

To put it another way, to this day one of the most common tips given to people playing Assassin's Creed 2 for the first time is that there's a super brief QTE that you absolutely don't want to gently caress up. What is it? Your bro Leonardo DaVinci wants a hug. This has no narrative consequences nor mechanical benefits...but it's still a moment that resonated with people because it's cute and the negative consequence of seeing him all sad about not getting it stuck with people. And that's from a game where the plot mostly takes a backseat to climbing on historical landmarks and stabbing people in the neck.

Don't get me wrong, I do think there's diminishing returns on toying with the illusion of choice, whether that's through lies of omission, subverting the player's decisions, or worst of all, running a JJ Abrams-esque carnie game with no way to actually "win". But it's not laziness or a failure in design if a choice happens to merely put the player in the character's shoes for a brief moment and then continue on with no further elaboration.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 12:50 on Jul 19, 2020

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

They’re called telltale games, not telltales games

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Thing dragging Ghost of Tsushima down: it uses those annoying Elder Scrolls style health bars that deplete from both sides towards the middle for bosses. So for most of the fight the health bar doesn't give much information other than "somewhere between 30% and 80% idk". Pretty minor gripe, but just use a normal health bar, dammit!

Also I did the quest for the archer armor before unlocking the concentrate ability (standard slow time aiming ability) which made it insanely difficult on hard difficulty. I feel like they should have locked the quest until you got that ability since the quest is clearly designed around you using it.

I'm really liking the game overall though.

The Moon Monster has a new favorite as of 16:49 on Jul 18, 2020

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The mini games in Zelda Oracle of Ages can all go gently caress themselves .

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Retro Futurist posted:

The mini games in Zelda Oracle of Ages can all go gently caress themselves .

The bomb one is kinda poo poo, the baseball one is okay, the sword upgrade one is bad, and the dancing one is fantastic. I feel like there was a seed shooting one too, but I don't remember it.

What made me stop playing Ages as a kid was the path to dungeon 7. It was ultimately fairly linear, but there was just so much traveling through time back and forth to move forward half a screen that I got frustrated and gave up.

JackSplater has a new favorite as of 22:10 on Jul 18, 2020

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

bony tony posted:

Yeah? What's wrong with that?
There's nothing wrong with it. If pretending the characters and story have more depth than they actually do enhances your enjoyment of the game then go for it. But "the game is better in your imagination than in reality" is not exactly a selling point.

SiKboy posted:

You can enjoy a game (or book, film, etc.) because of the ideas it inspired in your mind, but that's not a reasonable defence of the work itself. That stuff you're enjoying is stuff you brought to it, not stuff it brought to you. If you're explaining why you personally enjoyed it then yeah, that stuff you thought of because you played that game is going to be a big part of that explanation. But it's not in the game. The people who made it don't get credit for things you came up with.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Thing dragging down Rimworld is that its got so many mods that adds so much cool poo poo, but they're all balanced with the assumption that you're just using those mods. Namely research times. Trying to get into a little of everything just takes so long.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Leal posted:

Thing dragging down Rimworld is that its got so many mods that adds so much cool poo poo, but they're all balanced with the assumption that you're just using those mods. Namely research times. Trying to get into a little of everything just takes so long.

Scenario editor or god mode. Balance is a filthy word.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Piell posted:

That game owned and my friend and I played the poo poo out of it.

But yes you did indeed just follow the fellowship around like 20 minutes behind them, including helping Gandalf against the Balrog and Eowyn against the Witch King.

There was Enter The Matrix, which was supposed to be lore friendly but obviously also allow you to play all the movie set pieces, so you're constantly visiting locations slightly before Neo arrives or after he leaves.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I like dirt 4 as a competent rally and trophy truck game but compared to dirt 2 it's lost a lot of its style. The trailer aesthetic was pretty cool. Dirt 4 also doesn't have the rally raid vehicles which were lots of fun to drive.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

There was Enter The Matrix, which was supposed to be lore friendly but obviously also allow you to play all the movie set pieces, so you're constantly visiting locations slightly before Neo arrives or after he leaves.
Enter the Matrix was so bizarre, it was meant to be a companion to Reloaded to the point where stuff just happens in the film completely without explanation (a power plant blowing up?) because you do it in the game

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Fracture but Whole doesn't feel as fun to play as Stick of Truth

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Len posted:

Fracture but Whole doesn't feel as fun to play as Stick of Truth

Yeah, it’s fun but not as fun- the best part of Stick of Truth was how fast the combat was, managing positioning and all that slows everything down considerably. It was a blast in SoT putting out 15 stacks of bleed on a group of enemies in one move and other insane, broken stuff like that. FBW is more balanced but that makes for a slower game.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

And The Godfather game had you running around killing all the crime families' heads as the last mission

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, it’s fun but not as fun- the best part of Stick of Truth was how fast the combat was, managing positioning and all that slows everything down considerably. It was a blast in SoT putting out 15 stacks of bleed on a group of enemies in one move and other insane, broken stuff like that. FBW is more balanced but that makes for a slower game.

it also feels just slower in general, there don't seem to be as many fast travel points and going from point a to point b takes forever

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CrossCode has too many puzzles and way too intricate and tight timing on the puzzles to the point where I've now stopped playing because Im exhausted and sick of puzzles in what is otherwise a not very good action RPG. Having to babysit a projectile through a maze of things you need to manipulate for a minute plus is not fun, and the game has worn down my will to continue with threats of even longer and more complicated puzzles to come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Enter the Matrix was so bizarre, it was meant to be a companion to Reloaded to the point where stuff just happens in the film completely without explanation (a power plant blowing up?) because you do it in the game

I quit before that point, meaning the sequels as everyone else knows them do not exist in my reality