Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Last Chance posted:

putting a microphone in would be dumb because if the mac mini was anywhere except right in front of the user, then it'd be useless and you'd have to shout into it during conferences or whatever if you didn't have another mic. terrible idea

that and the fact that you'd probably be hearing the fans blasting at full speed when running zoom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

do desktops pcs ever have mics? have not had one since 2005

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

go play outside Skyler posted:

that and the fact that you'd probably be hearing the fans blasting at full speed when running zoom

*** BZZZ ***

I'm sorry, the Mac mini only has one fan, Reg its your turn..

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

just get a webcam

good luck finding one

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Puppy Galaxy posted:

do desktops pcs ever have mics? have not had one since 2005

no

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

akadajet posted:

good luck finding one

??????

Logitech still makes them?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

??????

Logitech still makes them?

I heard they were sold out due to corona. didn’t check myself tho

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
have to charge my mouse. guess i cant use it for a while

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
there's supply again now, but shipping is a crapshoot. for a while there wasn't and all you could get were massively marked up aliexpress specials that may or may not even have drivers

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

my horrible logitech webcam from circa 2008 is low res enough to hide the dark circles from under my eyes. i use that instead of my imac's webcam for that reason lol

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

It's getting to the point where you can tell who cheeped out and are just using their potato cam in their lovely HP/Dell/MacBook Air versus using their iPhone / SLR / pro webcam.

Will cams get better under Snapple Sillycon? doubt it

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Silver Alicorn posted:

just get a webcam

webcams are like $400 now

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I got a logitech I backordered in like april this week, tempted to flip it

qirex fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jul 18, 2020

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the lg 5k display has a built in camera and microphone, op

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

ndi made their software that turns your iphone into a webcam but it has a bit of lag

too many pixels for you ugly yosposers tho yikes

pram
Jun 10, 2001
need 4k webcam so coworker can view my glorious visage

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

graph posted:

webcams are like $400 now

might as well buy an ipad for video calls and save some cash

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I’m a dumb bitch but what’s new

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i have a webcam I found in the street

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Silver Alicorn posted:

I’m a dumb bitch but what’s new

nahhh

if you havent looked recently no way you could have known

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

now you know

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Carthag Tuek posted:

i have a webcam I found in the street

new corporate network attack vector found

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

I got a 1080p 30fps camera for like 30 bucks on Aliexpress. Microphone works great. Select epacket shipping and you’ll have it in two weeks tops.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

graph posted:

nahhh

if you havent looked recently no way you could have known

yep. dont beat yourself up over it

i made the same mistake a few weeks back. at least then the $200 reg models were still available and the gouging was a mere $10 cheaper than them for the reg $50 models

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Yeah I was gonna get a decent webcam for my desktop before school starts up again but turns out it's currently cheaper to get an HDMI capture card and use my big camera on a tripod. Lol

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
gently caress you panopticon loving assholes

i'm not putting in a loving webcam for work

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

yosposter has understanding social value of seeing a face when talking to someone

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

my code speaks for itself!!!

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

no one is talking about surveillance cameras lol

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I end all of my work meetings with “please like and subscribe”

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

gently caress you panopticon loving assholes

i'm not putting in a loving webcam for work

im literally the most paranoid person on this forum and i spend 3 hours a day on zoom calls. its fine. just put some pants on

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Jonny 290 posted:

its fine. just put some pants on

coward

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
incidentally does anyone know the technical reason that zoom can't do the auto-background-removal thing unless you have a 5xxx series intel processor or greater?

i have a 4590 and it just outright refuses to try. computer can run doom eternal at 90fps but nooooo digitally matting a background is too haaard.

what feature of the 5xxx are they using?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

it works fine on my imac 2013 which has an i5 4570

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

im literally the most paranoid person on this forum and i spend 3 hours a day on zoom calls. its fine. just put some pants on

peenopticon

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah on mac it only requires a quad-core i5 of any generation but on windows it requires a 6xxx i5 or 4xxx i7. why??

windows:

mac:

the insane detail here suggests to me that there is some specific hardware feature they're relying on.

e: or that they've just only tested it on computers with those specific configurations and have gated it behind a registry setting because they're assholes.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 18, 2020

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

idk anything about chips but maybe it’s this

Advanced Vector Extensions 2 (AVX2), also known as Haswell New Instructions,[5] is an expansion of the AVX instruction set introduced in Intel's Haswell microarchitecture. AVX2 makes the following additions:

expansion of most vector integer SSE and AVX instructions to 256 bits
three-operand general-purpose bit manipulation and multiply
Gather support, enabling vector elements to be loaded from non-contiguous memory locations
DWORD- and QWORD-granularity any-to-any permutes
vector shifts.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
my org's policy is 'don't bother turning your camera on, you're just going to be stressed out about making everything look good and it doesn't matter. Also someone's kid might be gaming and keeping them distracted is the only way you're going to be able to work'

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jimmy Carter posted:

my org's policy is 'don't bother turning your camera on, you're just going to be stressed out about making everything look good and it doesn't matter. Also someone's kid might be gaming and keeping them distracted is the only way you're going to be able to work'

otoh the meeting where a PM had a parakeet perched on his shoulder the entire time ruled

also appreciated a cat jumping onto someone lap, looking right at the camera and meowing

but once you’ve seen all your coworkers pets once I don’t see much of a point...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Jimmy Carter posted:

My org is the opposite. CXO wants to see all our faces :nsa: