Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Taeke posted:

At least Philip K. Dick is fun as hell if only for the pure druggy conspiracy minded insanity (literally) of it all.

Like one of his stories starts with the main character getting accidentally zapped with a brainwashing ray by a secret agency, so now he sometimes thinks he's a literal rat because their identities got merged? He then goes on to uncover a conspiracy about one way teleportation to a different galaxy that supposedly solved earth's overpopulation but isn't all that it seems.

poo poo like Blade Runner, Minority Report, Total Recall etc were cool but seriously sanitised for the general public, and even those were his more sane stories.

Dick was schizophrenic. Makes for interesting books. Also, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? has basically nothing to do with the movie, it's like musing on life with artificial goat envy.

*edit* I read the plot synopsis and looks like I forgot much of it, but still the movie complete omits the crucial "I want more expensive replicant pets" plot point.

doverhog has a new favorite as of 21:44 on Jul 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
The only really egregious omission from the book to Blade Runner 1+2 is that there is not a single oversized lead codpiece to be seen in either film, and that is just money left on the table right there

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Agents are GO! posted:

This was the most interesting gorilla experiment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJkWS4t4l0k

The Andromeda Strain

especially this
the book is fine, and the movie is boring as hell

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

I actually had that Escape From New York game. It wasn't great (or good) but I remember giving it points for trying.

If I remember right, it was right around when I got into D&D so 1981 checks out

I had this one:

I certainly did not remember those Kevin markers.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Doc Hawkins posted:

were the gorillas really supposed to be genetically modified? i remember a bit where someone's like "oh, they say the lost civilization here cross-bred gorillas with people," but i also remember that being presented as in-universe bullshit, just creepy legends, and the true horror is just that the gorillas were taught to be cops.

e: i put Congo on the Good side of Crighton's work, but maybe i just loved dumb poo poo as a child
I only saw the movie, but I think it was that the lost civilization intentionally bred gorillas for aggression to act as guards, until they got too aggressive and killed everyone. Also this made them albinos for some reason.

Congo the movie has Tim Curry in it, therefore it's good.

This is much too well done to go overlooked.
:golfclap:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

It took people a while to realise that the gorilla couldn't actually speak, and it was the researchers who sent texts requesting nudes all the time.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Paladinus posted:

It took people a while to realise that the gorilla couldn't actually speak, and it was the researchers who sent texts requesting nudes all the time.

Researcher: Koko, where did you learn how to ask that?

Koko: I learned it from watching you, doc! I learned it from watching you!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

All I remember about the book is “gorillas use two inverted stone bowls to bash out ur brains” and “the lost city of Zinj”

I did not see the movie

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Congo is actually a really bad movie and if you think it is good it is purely nostalgia corrupting your memory.

It does not stand the test of time, particularly in production value. It looks very, very cheap and the story in the film doesn’t hold up very well. It is incredibly 90s and in comparison to Jurassic Park it is a wonder how they did that.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Beachcomber posted:

I saw this movie.

She has a look of bovine stupidity on her face.

Slowflake
Aug 18, 2010

It does have Tim Curry attempting to speak with a Russian accent and a no-joke laser gun, though. It's at least got B-movie schlock going for it.

E: also this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fbGbPwKbQA

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

PYF funny pictures: 7 footnotes about gorilla nipple fixation

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

What do you think human nipples look like hahaha I think it would be funny to look at some just as a joke haha - KoKo

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

jonsicoli posted:

It does have Tim Curry attempting to speak with a Russian accent and a no-joke laser gun, though. It's at least got B-movie schlock going for it.

E: also this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fbGbPwKbQA

Yeah it's loving great. Ignore that other rear end in a top hat

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
https://youtu.be/3yMy7JuGpJM

tim curry is a loving treasure.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
The only thing you need to upgrade a satellite phone to an orbital laser is a diamond significantly smaller and of lower quality than stuff we can grow in a lab

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!

drat horror queefs posted:

The only really egregious omission from the book to Blade Runner 1+2 is that there is not a single oversized lead codpiece to be seen in either film, and that is just money left on the table right there

i'm reading stand on zanzibar right now and there's a thing about codpieces

and there was in clockwork orange as well

man, there was a certian subset in late 60s/early 70s that was absolutely sure those were gonna come back, huh?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Beachcomber posted:

I saw this movie.

we wear our underpants three days in a row

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
On the other hand, this is the dramatic conclusion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfgWw43Fcuw

This scene doesn't show the part at the end where several of the "evil" gorillas have visible zippers or a boulder that floats in water after crushing someone.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

feline

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
All I really remember about Congo is poppy seed cake, and a man getting his head crushed by a clapping gorevila

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I think Crichton was one of those old white dudes who pretended to be enlightened centrists (ha) until 9/11 made them lose their loving minds, see also: Dennis Miller, Sam Harris, James Woods, Christopher Hitchens, etc.

Imagined has a new favorite as of 23:08 on Jul 18, 2020

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Tim Curry being good and a film being good are not mutually inclusive.

If anything it’s an indicator of the opposite, and he knows this.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I genuinely can't tell which of these board games are real and which are photoshopped and the prospect that perhaps actually, all of them are real is slowly dawning on me like a gentle sunrise except the sun is goatse.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Data Graham posted:

Wait

It’s a card game

That does not have a Trump card?

???

Not only a card game...a TV Game Show too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqobLov0L9g

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Taeke posted:

At least Philip K. Dick is fun as hell if only for the pure druggy conspiracy minded insanity (literally) of it all.

Like one of his stories starts with the main character getting accidentally zapped with a brainwashing ray by a secret agency, so now he sometimes thinks he's a literal rat because their identities got merged? He then goes on to uncover a conspiracy about one way teleportation to a different galaxy that supposedly solved earth's overpopulation but isn't all that it seems.

poo poo like Blade Runner, Minority Report, Total Recall etc were cool but seriously sanitised for the general public, and even those were his more sane stories.
There's the rereleased version of that story ("The Teleported Man") called "Lies Incorporated" which includes a good 2 hour and 45 minute long piece of it that is just the main character getting hosed up by LSD on a distant planet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty40f_uuZYs&t=5164s

Quarantine has had me listening to all sorts of audiobooks from him and other sci-fi authors and, man, some of them are really loving weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbCWqXuSxtA
Clans of the Alphane Moon is a similarly loving weird story about a CIA propagandist that takes over a robot body to murder his marriage counsellor ex wife on a distant planet, while he comes under the wing and tutelage of a sentient slime mold while getting waxed off by a psionic 20-something woman that can bring people back from the dead.

It reads less like a science fiction novel and more like a cry for help from within a broken marriage.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I had this one:

I certainly did not remember those Kevin markers.

This literally looks like something I made for a class project in elementary. I bet it's equally garbage.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/bakulamom/status/1284407394961969152

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

ultrafilter posted:

Koko learned individual words but there's no evidence beyond her trainer's claims that she had any notion of grammar.

Not even that! Koko would just make a torrent of hand gestures, and the trainers would pick out ones they thought looked like sign language signs. Almost none of the trainers were actually fluent in sign language. Those that were were like "uh, guys? She's not actually saying anything" and were quickly hushed.

Podcast: http://www.buzzsprout.com/1112270/4446851

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yes yes but wouldn’t it be cool if it were true

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

and some bovine perspiration on her upper lip area

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

That author's name is giving me a stroke.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Please do not mock notable actual human author Dapid Rindintle

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Lawson posted:

and some bovine perspiration on her upper lip area

"Just get me wasted and you're halfway there, cause if my mind's tore up, my body don't care"

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tree Bucket posted:

That author's name is giving me a stroke.

The Scandinavians are a proud and noble people, show some respect

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

ultrafilter posted:

Koko learned individual words but there's no evidence beyond her trainer's claims that she had any notion of grammar.

Nor any need for it, quite likely. Her trainers easily understood the context and therefore when she threw a couple words at them, they got it.

Also called communication, but I understand your quibble.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

dialhforhero posted:

Tim Curry being good and a film being good are not mutually inclusive.

If anything it’s an indicator of the opposite, and he knows this.

Well put. He probably glories in hamming all over a mediocre film.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Joey was pure lank, just the tallest skinniest motherfucker, but there's also some perspective fuckery here. I think Dee Dee and Johnny were pretty close in height.

edit looks like Dee Dee was shorter than Johnny, check their first album cover. Hard to tell but I think Tommy might be standing on his tip toes on the first album cover

Baron von Eevl has a new favorite as of 02:00 on Jul 19, 2020

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

mdemone posted:

Nor any need for it, quite likely. Her trainers easily understood the context and therefore when she threw a couple words at them, they got it.

How are they able to distinguish between interpreting context and anthropomorphizing? Genuinely curious, I know so little about animal studies in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

mdemone posted:

She doesn't need that to communicate with her trainers, but the ability to combine words and clauses to form more complicated sentences is one of the big things that people think separates human language from animal communication. If someone wants to argue that apes have the capability for language in the same sense that we do, that's one of the big things they need to demonstrate.