Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

This... is... AWESOME!!!

That's tacky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Nah its fun, let people have fun with stuff that brings them happiness.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
gonna pose king diamond with destro, space ghost, and my limited edition michael keaton batman with 3d printed instruments and they'll be the coolest band ever i'm 39 and live in a one bedroom apartment and make 12 hour youtube videos detailing every plot point of the latest marvel movies and why they're the worst thing to happen to humanity

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Yeah that fig is pretty dope actually sorry

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

I'm going to level with you.

I'm gonna buy like 5 of that figure.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

The Muppets On PCP posted:

gonna pose king diamond with destro, space ghost, and my limited edition michael keaton batman with 3d printed instruments and they'll be the coolest band ever i'm 39 and live in a one bedroom apartment and make 12 hour youtube videos detailing every plot point of the latest marvel movies and why they're the worst thing to happen to humanity

the guys buying corny band member action figures are probably not opposed to marvel movies imo

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

The Muppets On PCP posted:

link

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
here, have some fun death metal

https://torninhalf-us.bandcamp.com/album/basic-instructions-before-leaving-earth

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

lmao oh my god stop jerking off about how much you DONT LIKE ACTION FIGURES

This kicks butt

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

A human heart posted:

the guys buying corny band member action figures are probably not opposed to marvel movies imo

neither are the guys who make youtube reviews hours longer than the actual films

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Or adults who listen to heavy metal

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

this is sick

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

lmao oh my god stop jerking off about how much you DONT LIKE ACTION FIGURES

This kicks butt

Two mild mannered posts about it isn't "jerking off", settle down beavis

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

A human heart posted:

It cost you nothing to stay silent about it but you instead chose to use your time to put someone down about a completely harmless thing they enjoy.

You're really cool.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

It cost you nothing to stay silent about it but you instead chose to use your time to put someone down about a completely harmless thing they enjoy.

You're really cool.

I didn't put anyone down, I said that the action figure is tacky, which it is. If we're not allowed to criticise anything that someone enjoys then why have a discussion forum at all?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

metal music itself is silly and tacky and thats why its good

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Please stop slapfighting over a King Diamond action figure.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

ShoogaSlim posted:

metal music itself is silly and tacky and thats why its good

I was talking last night about how when punk or metal get intellectual or deeply serious they better have a good reason to. It can be wonderful for sure but when you lose those raunchy goofy dark rock and roll roots you need be doing something legitimately great. I don’t mean everything has to be jokey by any means, it doesn’t, but there’s an element of fun, heart and spontaneity missing in a lot of very serious Big Brain metal.

A human heart posted:

Yeah tbh I was in a crabby mood and it doesn’t really matter anyway sorry m8

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kilometers Davis posted:

I was talking last night about how when punk or metal get intellectual or deeply serious they better have a good reason to. It can be wonderful for sure but when you lose those raunchy goofy dark rock and roll roots you need be doing something legitimately great. I don’t mean everything has to be jokey by any means, it doesn’t, but there’s an element of fun, heart and spontaneity missing in a lot of very serious Big Brain metal.

dumb people trying to sound smart is a time-honored comedy tradition

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

punk and metal (etc) take the absurdity of the real world and reflect it back to us in a spectacularly theatric way.

they may be influenced by serious topics we're all well aware of (greed, death, remorse, political unrest) but at the end of the day its still kids and/or grown men yelling and spitting at a microphone wearing eyeliner or spikes or whatever. its theater, and im a very pleased audience member

e: because i'm just as hypocritical as everyone else in the world, i say all of the above fully aware that i got into metal watching marilyn manson rip out bible pages at the VMAs and my dumb little brain was so blown you'd think it removed one of its ribs

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 19, 2020

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

ShoogaSlim posted:

punk and metal (etc) take the absurdity of the real world and reflect it back to us in a spectacularly theatric way.

they may be influenced by serious topics we're all well aware of (greed, death, remorse, political unrest) but at the end of the day its still kids and/or grown men yelling and spitting at a microphone wearing eyeliner or spikes or whatever. its theater, and im a very pleased audience member

I would say this is very true of metal, but punk is the opposite. Like the guy from Hellbastard says

"Metal lyrics were so dumb, so far removed from daily life. Venom were going on about Satan... and bikes... and Satan... and women... and Satan! You know what? I never got up in the morning and said, 'gently caress yeah! Satan! Let's go and meet my disciples from Hell!' I'd switch on the TV and know I was going to see hundreds of people dying because there'd been an earthquake in the third world... and all these people starving to death while military expenditure still increased... That was — and still is — the reality of it. The whole heavy metal thing is just an escape from reality, into this other world of... well, bullshit basically"

This isn't an attack on metal because I love my metal, but I always thought of metal as very goofy and theatrical and punk as very in-your-face and about the real world.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Punk is goofy and theatrical with lyrics about the real world and I love it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I just processed an image of a basketball net as the sanguisugabogg logo ama

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
It's possible for heavy music to deal with real-world issues in an entertaining and appropriate manner, but you run the risk of accidentally making that one Dream Theater song about stem cells instead, and nobody wants that.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Yeah and Dream Theater are all just dumb guys having fun same as most any other metal band. To certain nerds their music is seen as "cerebral" and "deep" , when I'm sure the writing process of any of their 32-minute songs is probably pure Wayne's World poo poo: "yo dude imagine how sick that last riff would be in 13/7" "bro hear me out. We all solo at the same time" "whooooaaaaa"

There's a positive feedback loop there, thus:

The Kins posted:

that one Dream Theater song about stem cells

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I mean, to be fair, I fuckin love weird time signatures, not for any intellectual reason just love em.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Wachter posted:

Yeah and Dream Theater are all just dumb guys having fun same as most any other metal band. To certain nerds their music is seen as "cerebral" and "deep" , when I'm sure the writing process of any of their 32-minute songs is probably pure Wayne's World poo poo: "yo dude imagine how sick that last riff would be in 13/7" "bro hear me out. We all solo at the same time" "whooooaaaaa"

There's a positive feedback loop there, thus:

Dream Theater are a Long Island band that did a song about 9/11 in 2005 and still managed to fit like six minutes of wank on there. And it was one of the best tracks on that album!

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i eat any metal lyrics whether or not they're serious or dumb but i love the old goofy poo poo when they make funny songs about aids or jimmy hendrix dying

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ7bNCKLMR8

I don't know why, but when metal bands come out looking all scary and growl about dark stuff, it's funny to see classical musicians/choirs with tuxedos and dresses. I get what they are going for, but I can't help but think that's a lot of effort for what a backing track can do. Plus, I can imagine the orchestra was completely drowned out by bass and blast beats. When I saw Devin Townsend with an orchestra behind him, we didn't really hear them at all.

The thing I like best is seeing what members of the flute section or whatever are nodding their heads to the metal. Most sit immobile, probably thinking about what they might have for dinner later.

henpod fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jul 20, 2020

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

henpod posted:

I don't know why, but when metal bands come out looking all scary and growl about dark stuff, it's funny to see classical musicians/choirs with tuxedos and dresses. I get what they are going for, but I can't help but think that's a lot of effort for what a backing track can do. Plus, I can imagine the orchestra was completely drowned out by bass and blast beats. When I saw Devin Townsend with an orchestra behind him, we didn't really hear them at all.

The thing I like best is seeing what members of the flute section or whatever are nodding their heads to the metal. Most sit immobile, probably thinking about what they might have for dinner later.

Burst out laughing at the extremely bemused looking child choir

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Septicflesh are drowning out basically everything. Tbh., I guess Dream Theater would work pretty well with an orchestra. They like their wankery a lot, and the music leaves enough room for an orchestra to be heard. Plus they'd get the opportunity to borrow a real singer :v:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Antigravitas posted:

I guess Dream Theater would work pretty well with an orchestra. They like their wankery a lot, and the music leaves enough room for an orchestra to be heard. Plus they'd get the opportunity to borrow a real singer :v:
They did a live album/DVD where the second half had an orchestra, back in... (checks) 2006, called Score. I haven't listened to it in probably 14 years, but I remember it being alright.

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

For metal lyrics/my first exposure to death metal: it was all the way back in 8th grade and I was super easy to frighten. The kid who sat next to me brought in the cd booklet for "Tomb of the Mutilated" and would read the lyrics out loud, freaking me out.

Now I have a Cannibal Corpse tattoo.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Every time I see this band I think about seeing them on tour in the US several years ago and the entire band was gathered around an arcade game (Mrs. Pac-man I think?) in the venue lobby and laughing their asses off and speaking greek for like a 1/2 hour. Good times.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

henpod posted:

am I missing something or are the backup vocalists shown at around 3:06 just completely mic-less

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

spotify suggested artist, and one of the guest artists on that ep

https://open.spotify.com/track/0FQ4Av7dXwg6dvAZWwLRI1?si=is_nikkmSPGxZ-sQYEYkHA

gently caress, i like hardcore?

Cynicus
May 1, 2008

owling furies.

hello, friends.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Lol if you don't listen to hardcore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-vzN76Uzsw

gently caress's wrong with you

Cynicus
May 1, 2008

owling furies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKuO7r3a38w

metal album covers are camp as hell and this makes them the best forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Gio posted:

gently caress, i like hardcore?

it's been scientifically proven tough guy hardcore is just metal from 20 years ago, so no shame