Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

torgeaux posted:

All of them.

:hmmyes:

He’s in the original Tecmo Super Bowl as their backup TE and is fun to just plug in anywhere you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

ocho

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

Troy Polamalu

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Eddie George

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Vick and favre

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
I started following the Bucs in the late 90’s so all the old NFC Central teams of the era. I mean Favre, Reggie White, Barry Sanders, Daunte Culpepper and Randy Moss. That was a stacked division at the time.

The Bucs defense was always fun, watching them completely shithouse Favre and Vick on a regular basis. Getting into football by following the Bucs when the Culverhouse family sold the team is probably the perfect time and place to start.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

fartknocker posted:

:hmmyes:

He’s in the original Tecmo Super Bowl as their backup TE and is fun to just plug in anywhere you can.

He has become a friend of my uncle, and so i got a signed ball and cards from him in November. He was trying out to be a player on Wheel of Fortune that week, I need to find out if he got on or not.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Colin Klein at Kansas State is what got to actually enjoy watching football as an activity instead of as background noise for another activity so that's definitely my pick.

Can't wait to hear most of a generation say either Mahomes or Lamar Jackson for theirs.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Grittybeard posted:

Derrick Thomas is my answer by the way. We've been kinda making GBS threads on him as a person a little in the AFC West thread but my god the man was transcendent on the field.

That's a good answer.

Mine is easy. When I was a kid I liked football even if I didn't understand it very much. But there was one man that was superhuman and I loved. That was the Nigerian Nightmare himself, Christian Okoye.

People here might be too young to remember his early career when he straight trucked fools.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vukHw_H4bQ

uh, sound OFF

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Strobe posted:

Colin Klein at Kansas State is what got to actually enjoy watching football as an activity instead of as background noise for another activity so that's definitely my pick.

Can't wait to hear most of a generation say either Mahomes or Lamar Jackson for theirs.

Yeah, if I'm being really honest, it's Reesing and probably Favre in the NFL, but Eddie got me into the Titans, so.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

a sexual elk posted:

Moss in ‘98. I was like 13 and even tho my dads side are all huge Vikings fans he’s the reason I started sitting down to actually watch games.

Shibby

Same for me but my family are all Chiefs fans. Those 98 Vikings are what got me really into football.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Steve McNair for me

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Wesley walls

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm a shameful bandwagoner so I didn't get into football until the the Hasselback Seahawks started winning games. In my defense being a 90's Mariners fan destroyed a lot of my faith in professional sports.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

kiimo posted:

That's a good answer.

Mine is easy. When I was a kid I liked football even if I didn't understand it very much. But there was one man that was superhuman and I loved. That was the Nigerian Nightmare himself, Christian Okoye.

People here might be too young to remember his early career when he straight trucked fools.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vukHw_H4bQ

uh, sound OFF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rssVFHtO8_Q

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I started sort of following football five-ish years ago (for FF) but just started actually watching games last year so... Russel Wilson.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Nobody can post anything about Christian Okoye without some Broncos fan coming in and posting Atwater. :colbert:

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Ray Lewis and Shannon Sharpe in 2000. People went nuts at the stadium when Ray Lewis would come out and after a while they started even playing the song "Hot in Here" by Nelly and shooting flames up in there air and he would do his dance. It was wild. And of course "big play shay" was a lot of fun the way he'd jabber on. Oh and don't forget Jamal Lewis. These guys brought me in to a sport I previously thought was just kinda boring.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

kiimo posted:

Nobody can post anything about Christian Okoye without some Broncos fan coming in and posting Atwater. :colbert:

To balance a bit that for ya, here’s Atwater trying to blow up Jerry Rice and failing miserably, starting an utter blow out:

https://youtu.be/2-DtKff04LY

Atwater was still cool, mind you, but when that heat seeking missile mode didn’t work, ugh.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
It was a great hit ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

ASAPRockySituation posted:

Todd Pinkston made me the man I am today.

I loved watching him play in college, but the funny thing was he was the second best of an amazing WR duo with Sherrod Gideon. Gideon had a high ankle sprain late in his senior year and was never the same; the Saints took him late in the draft but he never made it out of camp. He did a few years in the CFL; I genuinely think if he hadn't gotten hurt he'd have had a better NFL career than Pinkston (that catch aside)

For me though, it was Reggie Collier. The first NCAA QB to both rush and pass for more than 1,000 yards, he destroyed Tulane in the first football game I ever saw live at 6 years old. He could have been Randall Cunningham years earlier.

He got drafted #3 overall in the first USFL draft; a hip and later a knee injury wiped him out, and then the cocaine problems started. The Cowboys ended up signing him (he was the first ever black Cowboys QB on roster), but his substance abuse issues just overcame everything. An all-time Could Have Been that very few people nowadays remember.

Jesus, did he destroy Tulane. My first imprint as a football fan was an amazing dual threat QB; I always wondered what was missing after that until Cunningham came along.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Tom Sellout posted:

Ths sheer brilliance of DeMarcus Ware was a sight to behold. He had a knack for making huge plays on third downs and late in games that I'm not sure I've seen from many other pass rushers. Shame those teams never accomplished much.

Yes I was very happy for him when the Broncos won it all

He received an apology from the league for an offsides penalty where he had just timed the snap perfectly. He was incredible at that.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Cinco

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
I got into football after watching Derek Anderson win a shootout with the Bengals.

I've regretted it ever since.

I regret nothing.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
When I was a kid?

Later on I'd say the whole left side of the Seahawks '05 o line plus Mack Strong

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
The 91 Lions are what got me to love football. Not just Barry either, though especially Barry, the 91 Lions were loaded with good players.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Hot Diggity! posted:

Here's a good topic, who's a player that made you love football? Robert Brooks was one of mine along with Antonio Freeman and Sterling Sharpe.

It was Jerry Rice for me. 8 year old Waah got a book about Rice from a book fair and when I found out he got good at football by catching the bricks his dad dropped while building walls, I was sold.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

Derrick Thomas is my answer by the way. We've been kinda making GBS threads on him as a person a little in the AFC West thread but my god the man was transcendent on the field.
I wouldn't nominate him for any Father of the Year awards, but he was a terror with the speed he had going against dudes that weren't athletes like the current era.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
https://twitter.com/Chargers/status/1284618292661850113?s=19
The Chargers have better Rams jerseys than the Rams do lol

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

John Elway. Was super fun watching him flounder in a super loud kingdome and get sacked a bunch in one game in 1997 or 1998.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I started watching football when the cowboys went on their 90s run. As an adult, Tony Romo is what really brought me back into the NFL.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

GD_American posted:

then the cocaine problems started. The Cowboys ended up signing him

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I was born in the early 80's. By the time I got into football, Barry Sanders had just been drafted by the Lions.

My all-time favorite football player. He deserves so much better than he was given.

Barry Sanders on probably any other team would drag them across the finish line to a minimum of 1 championship.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Gonz posted:

Barry Sanders on probably any other team would drag them across the finish line to a minimum of 1 championship.

Ha, just remembered that time when Wayne Fontes was considered a genius for winning a playoff game solely because he coached the Lions. And coached Barry Sanders who was responsible for getting them there but oddly didn't do much during the game aside from one long run. Erik Kramer of all people went off on the goddamned Cowboys. Steve Beuerlein was somehow involved on Dallas's side?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

I started watching football when the cowboys went on their 90s run. As an adult, Tony Romo is what really brought me back into the NFL.

Tony Romo is the only Cowboy player worthy of praise.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Spoeank posted:

They always have.

:colbert:

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

Grittybeard posted:

Ha, just remembered that time when Wayne Fontes was considered a genius for winning a playoff game solely because he coached the Lions. And coached Barry Sanders who was responsible for getting them there but oddly didn't do much during the game aside from one long run. Erik Kramer of all people went off on the goddamned Cowboys. Steve Beuerlein was somehow involved on Dallas's side?

Beuerlein started the last 5 games of that season because Aikman injured his knee against Washington. Jimmy rode him until he sputtered and crawled back to Aikman halfway through the game when they were getting blown out. (and pissed Aikman off enough to where he was gonna demand a trade before Johnson ended up committing to him entirely as his starting QB)

Barry didn't do a ton in that game because the Cowboys committed entirely to stacking the box against the Lions' offense. The problem was that they didn't have Charles Haley yet and their second was pretty shaky that year (IIRC they didn't have Kevin Smith or Darren Woodson til next year's draft) so Kramer just picked them apart with one-on-one matchups the entire game. Dallas didn't bother adjusting til it was way too late to do anything about it.

Though I think that was the game in which Barry just blew right past most of the Cowboys' D when the game was basically decided by that point. it's the one where Tony Casillas had his back to him because he thought Barry went down and just blew past him lol.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Everyone knows all the top Barry runs, but my god, look at what he does to the first guy at #45, #40, #24 and #18 here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBhn1wMyzV4

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Spoeank posted:

Does anyone have worse jersey's than the Rams at this point though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Does anyone have worse jersey's than the Rams at this point though?

It looks like something from the 70's, which is kinda endearing.