Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Marchofthepenguins posted:

I have been daydreaming about just coming home from work, ripping off my dirty scrubs, and throwing them like a grenade into the middle of their gathering while screaming "POSITIVE COVID TESTS FOR EVERYONE" just to watch them scatter.

You joke but if objective reality and trying to be reasonable with your roomie isn't working it might be time to just go all out rear end in a top hat like this.

Got a Bluetooth speaker? Put it somewhere they can't get to and play the sound of a respirator running on loop all night long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

I have been daydreaming about just coming home from work, ripping off my dirty scrubs, and throwing them like a grenade into the middle of their gathering while screaming "POSITIVE COVID TESTS FOR EVERYONE" just to watch them scatter.

As a HCP you should probably tell her that you are the single biggest risk of COVID and you don't want to get her friends killed.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
just say you tested positive at work and that she has to inform anyone of this who comes through or she's liable (which is probably not true since we live in hellworld but she won't know)

i don't think you'll have any house guests anytime soon and then you can just say it was a rapid test false positive and if she's not a total sociopath maybe she'll take away that risky poo poo isn't cool to force on someone else no matter what dumb carpe diem poo poo you tell yourself

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

As a ICP you should tell your roommate to get hosed whoop whoop

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/85-infants-have-tested-positive-coronavirus-1-texas-county-u-n1234293

85 infants test positive in one Texas county. People aren't even being careful with babies.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Animal-Mother posted:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/85-infants-have-tested-positive-coronavirus-1-texas-county-u-n1234293

85 infants test positive in one Texas county. People aren't even being careful with babies.

How is babby infected, how does woman become vaector?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Animal-Mother posted:

slightly less horrifying is this-

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/babies-mysterious-resilience-to-coronavirus-intrigues-scientists/

quote:

As the new coronavirus continues to burn through populations, studies are beginning to shed light on its impact on infants. And so far the findings have been promising for parents and researchers alike.

The initial data suggest that infants make up a small fraction of people who have tested positive for COVID-19. A Centers for Disease Control and Prevention study released in April reported 398 infections in children under one year of age—roughly 0.3 percent of all U.S. cases at that time for which age was known. In addition, most of these cases appear mild in nature: a recent review published in the Italian Journal of Pediatrics that looked at infants up to the age of six months found that those who were infected would typically exhibit only a slight cough, runny nose or fever, which disappeared in a week or so. Other studies have suggested similar minor reactions. The question is: Why?

so statistically they should survive? still big yikes

e: this part also not so good

quote:

It is important to remember that we simply do not know the long-term consequences of COVID-19, Ferraro says. This ignorance is evident in a number of cases in which youngsters initially became mildly sick with the disease and later developed a potentially life-threatening condition known as multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children, or MIS-C, in which various organs become inflamed. Although this phenomenon has mostly occurred in children older than one, Mithal argues that it is too early to tell whether infants can develop it or not.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 18, 2020

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Covid! In my vagina?!

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1284562862040584192

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Hopper posted:

Swedes have a right to 4 weeks of uninterrupted holiday in the summer and they do take it. Like entire police stations just shut down for 4 weeks in summer. So basically a lot of Swedes don't go to work and bug out to grandma's red cottage in the lonely woods every summer, Covid or not. And their summer is basically late June to early August, so right now many people are on holiday. I would assume that in itself slows down spread.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Too many people died. There was little to no economic benefit to keeping everything open.

https://www.ft.com/content/93105160-dcb4-4721-9e58-a7b262cd4b6e

So things felt normalish for longer, but it is unlikely to have a long-term benefit. Allowing non-essential businesses to stay open doesn't save them if even a significant minority of customers stay away. Many costs are fixed, so having revenue drop 30% can make a business non-viable. Businesses on the edge enough to have been killed by a 2 or 3 month lockdown are probably still going to fail if consumer confidence falls and people don't spend at normal levels.
Thanks, makes sense.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

The governor here can't do a god drat thing. The entire state is beholden to the GOP legislature. They already banned him from closing anything down. All he's been doing is pleading for people to wear masks, don't go out, and maintain social distancing. He has absolutely no power. He is a classic Wisconsinite and has been respectful and hasn't gotten dirty or gone blaming the republicans or anything. He's just like "my hands are tied so I'm just going to do my best."

When Scott Walker lost, after he lost, he and the GOP passed laws limiting any future governor's power. I've never seen anything like this is my life before. I still have a hard time believing what they are doing.
They did something similar in North Carolina (most heinously gerrymandered state in the country, last I checked) a few years ago when the Republican governor just barely lost.

This is some shady as gently caress poo poo.

How on god's earth are they getting away with this poo poo? And right out in the open? Like Trump hiding the numbers from the CDC.

Jesus gently caress how is all of this happening?
Most people just look at the map and go "Oh hey it's all blue!" and leave it at that. They could even make it so the top bin has to be 500,000+ so that nothing is red! It's really difficult to understate the average person's capacity for or tendency toward critical thinking.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
:thermidor:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I'm just tired. My roommate insists on inviting people to come inside our house despite the rules. Doesn't matter how many times I talk about the risk I pose to her (I work in health care), the risk she poses to me, why the rules need to apply to everyone. She just says she wants to "live her life," and if I was so worried about spreading things to my patients that I should live alone. Her friend is coming over in a few weeks, I think I may just have to live like a hobo in my car for a few days.

If you have a private bedroom there is no reason to sleep in your car. Don't let idiots put you out of your home. Consider the common areas of the apartment a "public" place: wear a mask, avoid close contact, maintain hygiene standards.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Facebook Aunt posted:

If you have a private bedroom there is no reason to sleep in your car. Don't let idiots put you out of your home. Consider the common areas of the apartment a "public" place: wear a mask, avoid close contact, maintain hygiene standards.

Except that pants are forbidden.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

How on god's earth are they getting away with this poo poo? And right out in the open? Like Trump hiding the numbers from the CDC.

denial is a very powerful defense mechanism

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
has anybody said "Faucian bargain" yet

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
I have not been keeping up with the thread for a couple of weeks; got too depressing, but I do have a question that keeps coming up.

What is the rate of hospitalization for confirmed cases? Early on it was somewhere between 10-20% Any updated stats for that?

Also, I have posted my rural health district details a couple of times early on. Remote area, covid was slow to get here. Well it is here now.

We had about 77 cases 10 weeks ago, we now have 1,130. Five county health district in north Idaho.

https://panhandlehealthdistrict.org/covid-19/

Pappyland
Jun 17, 2004

There's no limit to your imagination!
College Slice

Internetjack posted:

I have not been keeping up with the thread for a couple of weeks; got too depressing, but I do have a question that keeps coming up.

What is the rate of hospitalization for confirmed cases? Early on it was somewhere between 10-20% Any updated stats for that?

I’m also out of the loop - but how many people that test without symptoms remain asymptomatic vs. presymptomatic?

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:

Cacafuego posted:

Covid! In my vagina?!

It's more likely than you think

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Empty Sandwich posted:

has anybody said "Faucian bargain" yet

New thread title please

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
idgi

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

A play on "Faustian deal" or deal with the devil

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
the problem is that he offered us reasonable scientific advice and we rejected it with the result we will die

so it's more of an anti-faustian bargain

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Mozi posted:

the problem is that he offered us reasonable scientific advice and we rejected it with the result we will die

so it's more of an anti-faustian bargain

He got to be the big giant voice of science, but in exchange he answers to trump who wants to suppress everything he says at this point.

I'd say he qualifies perfectly.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Sir Not Appearing posted:

A play on "Faustian deal" or deal with the devil

Ah! That's actually funny then! Never heard of Faustian deal either so I'm glad you explained that.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
someone posted a town hall around page 500-600 with a guy wearing this shirt and i've been tempted ever since

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

zer0spunk posted:

someone posted a town hall around page 500-600 with a guy wearing this shirt and i've been tempted ever since

Don't one of you ****** got covid or somethin?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

https://twitter.com/andishehnouraee/status/1284237474831761408

People have pointed out that it may have just been sheer incompetence and they wanted to report 5 different categories and didn't realise that NUMBER GO UP so they kept redefining their categories as the numbers increased:
https://twitter.com/callin_bull/status/1284271001685987328

... but the categories aren't divided equally at all and were obviously chosen to fit the data, which is sketchy as hell. The 'bins' in the first graph are 0-13.3%, 13.3-23%, 23-35.8%, 35.8-63.5%, 63.5-100% and the bins in the second graph are 0-18.4%, 18.4-30.1%, 30.1-45.2%, 45.2-73%, 73-100%

shameful poo poo

and wasn't Georgia the state that reordered the days to create a descending bar chart 'showing' the cases declining? except the days were completely scrambled to make sure the curve was \

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The state is majority Republican. It's that simple

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019
In good news, if that’s allowed here, my state has now gone a full month without any Covid deaths.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Sir Not Appearing posted:

Don't one of you ****** got covid or somethin?
Five coughs couldn't drop me, I took it and smiled

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Uncle Lloyd posted:

In good news, if that’s allowed here, my state has now gone a full month without any Covid deaths.

which means what, you're in one of two states that's a thing, Vermont, and Alaska?

they both have a RT of over 1, soooo, don't get cocky :negative:

https://rt.live/us/AK (1.29)
https://rt.live/us/VT (1.16)

e: i see you already trying to understand the RT difference in the infections/death numbers, but they got you homeslice-

quote:

My state has so few cases, why is Rt so bad?
Even if there is only one person sick and that one person infects six people, Rt will be 6.0. So to evaluate how bad a situation is for a given state, you need to understand both Rt, but also the absolute number of cases. A high Rt is manageable in the very short run as long as there are not many people sick to begin with. Smaller states like Vermont or Alaska often see this issue.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jul 19, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Wow Florida is doing so well!

Thanks, DeSantis. :thumbsup:

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Platystemon posted:

Wow Florida is doing so well!

Thanks, DeSantis. :thumbsup:

sadly this model is not florida proof..they list the caveats to the method, this one kinda sticks out re: florida

quote:

Our model relies upon valid data from COVIDTracking.com, and they in turn rely on states to provide timely and accurate data as well. Unfortunately, data can be noisy, incorrect, delayed, and otherwise wrong. While on average, we believe the data to be correct, there are times when an errant datapoint throws the model off. Please let us know if you see an instance of this.

though i guess Georgia is now going to really throw off the metrics for that state with their fuckery

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

QuarkJets posted:

The state is majority Republican. It's that simple

Hmm... true.

I just made the mistake of reading my local new's facebook page about Florida hospitals being over capacity.

Actual posts.

"Lies!"
"Fake news!"
(about the title saying 119% capacity) "how is it even possible to go over 100?!"

:suicide:

Marchofthepenguins
Jun 1, 2016

Mental hygiene should be practiced after every meal

zer0spunk posted:

just say you tested positive at work and that she has to inform anyone of this who comes through or she's liable (which is probably not true since we live in hellworld but she won't know)

i don't think you'll have any house guests anytime soon and then you can just say it was a rapid test false positive and if she's not a total sociopath maybe she'll take away that risky poo poo isn't cool to force on someone else no matter what dumb carpe diem poo poo you tell yourself

I do have to keep going to work and can't pretend to self isolate, but I actually have been thinking about timing my COVID test (which I should just be doing regularly anyway) on the week that she is having her guest over just so I can truthfully inform her and her guest that I'm being tested for COVID. And then cough all over their food and say that I'm just living my life. It's funny, when I told her that one of the doctors on my floor had tested positive, she got all anxious and got a bunch of bleach and started telling me to wipe down the kitchen and bathroom after I used them. But still doesn't blink about at having her friend and her parents travel across the state to hang out at the exact moment when infections here are rising because of idiots traveling across the state to hang out. At this point I don't think there's any reasoning with her and I just gotta do what I have to in order to protect myself/my contacts/her careless, careless tuckus.

Facebook Aunt posted:

The upside to her being mad at me for pouring cold water on her out of town COVID slumber parties is that she's doing a great job of avoiding me at all times!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Melbourne Australia has a compulsory mask rule that comes into effect Wednesday 11:59pm, anyone out in public caught without a mask will receive a $200 fine

quote:

If you live in metro Melbourne or Mitchell Shire and you need to leave home for one of the four essential reasons, you must have a covering over your mouth and nose.

If you're travelling into regional Victoria for work or care reasons, that covering will need to remain on for the entire time you're there.

If you live in regional Victoria, you'll need to wear a face covering if you visit metro Melbourne or Mitchell Shire – and we're still recommending you wear one in your local area if you can't physically distance.

There are a few exceptions. Kids under 12, those who have a professional or medical reason – or if it's just not practical, like when you're out running.

In our schools, that'll mean teachers don't have to wear a face covering while teaching – but students attending for VCE, VCAL or for onsite supervision will. Everyone will be expected to wear one on the way to and from school.
https://www.facebook.com/DanielAndrewsMP/

Can't wait to see how many dumb excuses people will be trying out because they think it fulfills the "or if it's just not practical" exception, and how many people try to brandish a laminated HIPAA exemption card because they read about it on the internet :v:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jul 19, 2020

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Yep. We is all going to be dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbxwGi8bTO8

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
So how long until the US hits 100k recorded new infections a day? Things have to plateau at some point, but hopefully before there's no one left uninfected in outbreak zones. We were ~20k/day in early June, so if the US fails to control things (likely), by the end of August at the latest? Will be disturbingly fascinating to see just how much school reopenings an colder weather amplify things...

Enfys posted:

whu...I didn't make this post
It's such a good avatar :(

You may have had it first, as I recall thinking when I bought it that I'd seen someone using it online, but didn't stumble across you when I did a cursory search on SA.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Cugel the Clever posted:

So how long until the US hits 100k recorded new infections a day? Things have to plateau at some point, but hopefully before there's no one left uninfected in outbreak zones. We were ~20k/day in early June, so if the US fails to control things (likely), by the end of August at the latest?

We had 75k on Thursday. So 100k within 2 weeks, assuming they test enough people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Popoto posted:

If you feel like doing it, switch the dark blue to light orange and the preceding blue to light green.

Yeah that map is still severely disingenuous. The entire color of blue means things aren't that bad in just about any map. Shades of red definitely represent bad things better.

I went with "Green = none" for extra :v:

July 2 vs July 18