Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Is there a game that did Diablo but as a twin stick shooter?

Diablo 3 if you're playing a Wizard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kheldarn posted:

I used various ones from Steam. I didn't even know about the existance of NexusMods when I was playing. I ended up having to download their tool that lets you make your own mods so that I could combine all of the Does 1 Thing mods.

Looking at the Workshop page, I'm subsribed to:
SynergiesMOD
Generic Rewards - Multi Classmod Fix
Showing Secret Rooms
Ehchantable Pet Accessories
Unusable Items Are Dark
HUD Expanse
Silent Narrator
Indicators Premium
Ripper's Armory
[Golden Chest] With Uniques
Unique Beams
Map Keybinds (Toggle & Hold)
Better Loot Colors
Fish Details
BAGMOD

And then I had these various mods for new classes:
The Double Agent
Emberblade
Far East Pack
Reaver
Drew's Class Pack
that's weird because when I played it recently (because "well i haven't beat THIS one") it wouldn't let me run more than 10 mods at a time. :thunk:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Console d3 is a twin stick shooter

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Zereth posted:

that's weird because when I played it recently (because "well i haven't beat THIS one") it wouldn't let me run more than 10 mods at a time. :thunk:

Hence:

Kheldarn posted:

I ended up having to download their tool that lets you make your own mods so that I could combine all of the Does 1 Thing mods.

Looking at my list, I remember now that I combined as many as I could into one mod made by me, so that I could bypass the 10 mods limit.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

El_Elegante posted:

I have no idea but if you like twin stick shooters you should play Assault Android Cactus if you haven’t already.

I do and I hate it. I can't put it into words, I just don't like That One.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Some of the classes in Gauntlet: Slayer Edition play like a twinstick shooter. I had a blast with it, though the difficulty is pretty uneven.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Victor Vran had a twin stick style control setup IIRC.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/345180/Victor_Vran_ARPG/

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kheldarn posted:

Hence:

Looking at my list, I remember now that I combined as many as I could into one mod made by me, so that I could bypass the 10 mods limit.
*squint*

oh, i am apparently blind

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Kheldarn posted:

I disagree. I found a lot of fun mods for TL2, and enjoyed it.

Then again, I don't like POE, and I got tired of Grim Dawn's billion elements really quickly.

Here here. I don't know why, but POE just doesn't click with me at all. POE has so many build options, but it didn't prevent Act 1 feeling like a slog using 1 skill on really dumb enemies. I'm not sure if I'm missing something here.

TL2 has decent variety and random portals to go through, so it's a good time. I enjoy the dungeon crawling/hack and slash part more so than the RPG optimizing of ARPGs.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Tezzeract posted:

Here here. I don't know why, but POE just doesn't click with me at all. POE has so many build options, but it didn't prevent Act 1 feeling like a slog using 1 skill on really dumb enemies. I'm not sure if I'm missing something here.

It's an incredibly inaccessible game, essentially, but this aspect is a conscious choice by the developers. Characters start out slow to emphasize the power increases you get while levelling / gearing up. Once you've levelled a few characters it doesn't take long to get one going. You do get movement skills and a run-fast flask early in the first act as quest reward options.

If you haven't tried it for a while, characters come online much earlier than they used to do, but despite being the best ARPG on the market at the moment by a considerable margin, it's still extremely hard to get into and I can't blame anyone for bouncing off it. The people in the goon thread are super helpful, and if you have any interest in ARPGs it's probably worth giving it another bash some time - I'd suggest next league (season) since it's supposed to be a big one, and this league's gimmick is focussed on crafting which is an insanely complicated thing for a newbie to wrap their head around.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

..btt posted:

It's an incredibly inaccessible game, essentially, but this aspect is a conscious choice by the developers. Characters start out slow to emphasize the power increases you get while levelling / gearing up. Once you've levelled a few characters it doesn't take long to get one going. You do get movement skills and a run-fast flask early in the first act as quest reward options.

If you haven't tried it for a while, characters come online much earlier than they used to do, but despite being the best ARPG on the market at the moment by a considerable margin, it's still extremely hard to get into and I can't blame anyone for bouncing off it. The people in the goon thread are super helpful, and if you have any interest in ARPGs it's probably worth giving it another bash some time - I'd suggest next league (season) since it's supposed to be a big one, and this league's gimmick is focussed on crafting which is an insanely complicated thing for a newbie to wrap their head around.

I don’t blame you and I say the same thing about some other games I like but goddamn if “the developers make the start inaccessible and boring to make the later parts seem fun” is legit the biggest switch off for a game to me. How about just making the entire game fun game devs!!

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

It really is a pain in the rear end to re-level each season to try new builds. It needs a mechanic to make that not suck.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Haven’t they been bought by TenCent recently? You’ll be able to Pay2Win soon, so it’s all good!

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
But that wouldn’t be good at all!

ARPG are like a mirage in the desert for me. Like I think I’m really going to enjoy getting from weak to powerful, but it never quite seems satisfying enough. I end up focusing on skill points in an underdeveloped skill tree, while the game wants me to go through the tedium of min-maxing gear. Gear effects are never weird or synergistic enough to be exciting.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Kerbtree posted:

Haven’t they been bought by TenCent recently? You’ll be able to Pay2Win soon, so it’s all good!

That was over two years ago and nothing changed.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
They got paid good money. Good for them.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Does PoE still rely on the RNG and gear drops for what skills and skill modifiers you can have equipped? At some point they made it so you could buy the skills from a vendor instead of those also being based on RNG.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Tezzeract posted:

TL2 has decent variety and random portals to go through, so it's a good time. I enjoy the dungeon crawling/hack and slash part more so than the RPG optimizing of ARPGs.

the part you’re missing is the system knowledge to breeze through act 1 in ~10-12 minutes from a fresh start

Len posted:

Does PoE still rely on the RNG and gear drops for what skills and skill modifiers you can have equipped? At some point they made it so you could buy the skills from a vendor instead of those also being based on RNG.

I think I misunderstood what you were asking here at first, but yes links/sockets are still random on items. Most gems can be bought from vendors now, the few that can’t tend to be of niche use or readily available through trade after like, the first hour of a new league. There are a lot more guaranteed 4 links as quest rewards now and you usually have a few options to choose from for necessary colors etc. From what they’ve spoiled of PoE2, the link/color system will be addressed much more thoroughly there.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

teacup posted:

I don’t blame you and I say the same thing about some other games I like but goddamn if “the developers make the start inaccessible and boring to make the later parts seem fun” is legit the biggest switch off for a game to me. How about just making the entire game fun game devs!!

I don't think they intend to make the game inaccessible, it's just something that's very difficult to address without neutering the mechanical complexity that makes the game so interesting. But the characters feeling a little slow before you've got all your movement options and passive tree support together is intended. The devs speak relatively openly about their design decisions, and this is something they've spoken about before. If you start a new character off zooming around the screen exploding everything before you see it, the whole experience feels a bit flat and pointless. Looking forward to the next big upgrade, and your character getting noticably more powerful, is part of what makes ARPGs compelling imo.

There are plenty of faults with POE, but the op was asking if he was missing something because everything felt slow and tedious for the first few maps, and this is why.

It really is quick and easy to level characters when you know what you're doing, you're talking about the first few hours of a character that you'll play for hundreds of hours... but that's a pretty huge hump to get over considering the vast amount of mechanics that have been added to the game over time, and the difficulty of the content that long-term players take for granted.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I have dozens and dozens of hours in PoE and I still do not understand the game at all whatsoever.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

..btt posted:

I don't think they intend to make the game inaccessible, it's just something that's very difficult to address without neutering the mechanical complexity that makes the game so interesting. But the characters feeling a little slow before you've got all your movement options and passive tree support together is intended. The devs speak relatively openly about their design decisions, and this is something they've spoken about before. If you start a new character off zooming around the screen exploding everything before you see it, the whole experience feels a bit flat and pointless. Looking forward to the next big upgrade, and your character getting noticably more powerful, is part of what makes ARPGs compelling imo.

There are plenty of faults with POE, but the op was asking if he was missing something because everything felt slow and tedious for the first few maps, and this is why.

It really is quick and easy to level characters when you know what you're doing, you're talking about the first few hours of a character that you'll play for hundreds of hours... but that's a pretty huge hump to get over considering the vast amount of mechanics that have been added to the game over time, and the difficulty of the content that long-term players take for granted.

Yeah I understand the idea. But plenty of other games are still fun at the start then get even more fun. Obviously it’s subjective me for me- they got the balance wrong

PoE was just dreary to me. Great for people sinking hundreds of hours into it those few hours won’t matter. But it was a waste on me and I had a lot more fun smashing around in diablo 3, regardless of which was “deeper”.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I have dozens and dozens of hours in PoE and I still do not understand the game at all whatsoever.

I’ve had a number of people tell me that PoE doesn’t really begin until you beat the story and do some amount of post game random instanced dungeons, which to me was an incredibly chilling indictment of the game and it’s design but they all seemed to think it was high praise.

nabo
Oct 23, 2010

Coolguye posted:

I’ve had a number of people tell me that PoE doesn’t really begin until you beat the story and do some amount of post game random instanced dungeons, which to me was an incredibly chilling indictment of the game and it’s design but they all seemed to think it was high praise.

PoE aims to be Diablo 2 but better (and it is). This includes completely ignoring the story in favor of doing hours upon hours of grinding gear after you beat the game. Unlike D2, however, the grinding is done in a variety (and there is a lot of variety) of endgame areas instead of like chaos sanctuary or a couple of bosses. A lot of people bounce off of PoE because they expect the progression through the story to be the point of the game, whereas it's intended to be more of an extended tutorial/introduction to the game mechanics and the setting. For better or worse, it's the real successor to Diablo 2 with regard to how the playerbase actually played the game (or at least it was until Blizzard released RoS's Rifts).

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
It's eminently possible to enjoy PoE as a single player game with a 10 acts long storyline, and then be done with it. There's a ton of really interesting world building and cool locations throughout the main campaign, it's a really good romp if you haven't played through it one million times already. There's no need to study build guides or watch a youtube about how to destroy endgame content, just download the game for free and play it. Yeah, it is a complex system mastery rewarding type of game, but it won't push you hard until the endgame stuff, and you can just nope out of that if you don't care.

Also one of the finest soundtracks in games, this is what's playing in my hideout right now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r86jTpmafqE

StoryTime fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jul 19, 2020

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
All you people saying Torchlight is diablo 1 need to replay diablo 1.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I played so much goddamn Diablo 1 I can instantly remember the sounds fallen ones, goatmen, and scavengers make when they die. Or the sound of an enemy dropping a shield.

Torchlight was fun but it was no D1.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Path of exile doesn't belong in this thread y'all are getting off topic

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Free games (that used to be free)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Len posted:

If you're singling out poe does that mean all 3 diablos are free somewhere

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
The real free ARPG king was Marvel Heroes (rip)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

site posted:

If you're singling out poe does that mean all 3 diablos are free somewhere

That's fair, diablo belongs in the blizzard subforum and PoE in the games that were always free

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

StoryTime posted:

It's eminently possible to enjoy PoE as a single player game with a 10 acts long storyline, and then be done with it. There's a ton of really interesting world building and cool locations throughout the main campaign, it's a really good romp if you haven't played through it one million times already. There's no need to study build guides or watch a youtube about how to destroy endgame content, just download the game for free and play it. Yeah, it is a complex system mastery rewarding type of game, but it won't push you hard until the endgame stuff, and you can just nope out of that if you don't care.

Also one of the finest soundtracks in games, this is what's playing in my hideout right now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r86jTpmafqE

Yea, though I never got far into PoE I can't say it was because of complex mechanics or builds, I just don't find most loot games engaging, especially playing solo. The only time I finished Grim Dawn was playing on coop with someone that had finished it a dozen times and was basically like a tour guide for the game.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

MikeCrotch posted:

Truer words have never been spoken.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

MikeCrotch posted:

I loved how each time you got max level with a character it boosted global xp gain for every subsequent character

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

MikeCrotch posted:

Oh yes, I loved how the Punishers 'combat roll' ability didn't cost any bars or resources whatsoever, so you could just speed run the entire game combat rolling all the time. Also he is a gun wizard with magic bullets. And Storm, who had this passive power that would just explode every parked car in Manhattan with lightning, just because she passed by.

loving rip on that one.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Len posted:

I seriously couldn't understand this praise for Pillars of Eternity, which suuuuuuuuucks.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Roguelikes Thread

Path of Exile Thread

Diablo Thread

Grimdawn Thread

Steam Thread

Games' July Chat Thread

Let's save this thread for finding free games.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

And only free games that weren't always free

Beep boop

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Len posted:

And only free games that weren't always free

Beep boop

This was worth a mild chuckle the first time you did it but not the twenty times since

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Not the first time either, really.