Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

In my experience, Berlin is a really good place to live in as a trans woman, mainly because it's super easy to exist here while presenting femme, and there are far fewer TERFs around (or queerphobes in general) than most everywhere else in Germany

can't speak for every trans person in the city tho, especially in terms of finding HRT and other specific healthcare requirements, but in terms of just existing it's fine here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010
Are TERF's an actual thing? I always thought they were just a fringe movement.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Darkly amusing how salty Americans get when for once it's not their country being the model everybody else should follow, but instead others are held up as paragons of good behavior. Right, Duzzy?

As for our UK goon looking to relocate to Germany, the presence of a large expat community can of course be a big factor. Some sleepy town in rural Germany will likely have far fewer fellow British people to interact with.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

AndreTheGiantBoned posted:

Are TERF's an actual thing? I always thought they were just a fringe movement.

In the UK and US, they are absolutely an actual thing. In Germany, not that I've seen, but considering how German conservatives afaik are often rather homophobic, I imagine there's a lot of implicit transphobia in there too.

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010
Transphobics, sure, I guess they exist and there are a lot of them.

The part that surprises me is the TE+RF. A group of radical feminists, expected to be progressive, but which is regressive with respect to a very specific topic, is a very contradictory group, probably composed of a small minority of dumb and/or horrible people. As such, I would not expect it to be large. Thinking of something in the vein of an (black) African Neo-Nazi.

Or is any transphobic woman just labelled TERF nowadays? (eg. J.K. Rowling, who as far as I know isn't a notorious feminist)

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

AndreTheGiantBoned posted:

Transphobics, sure, I guess they exist and there are a lot of them.

The part that surprises me is the TE+RF. A group of radical feminists, expected to be progressive, but which is regressive with respect to a very specific topic, is a very contradictory group, probably composed of a small minority of dumb and/or horrible people. As such, I would not expect it to be large. Thinking of something in the vein of an (black) African Neo-Nazi.

Or is any transphobic woman just labelled TERF nowadays? (eg. J.K. Rowling, who as far as I know isn't a notorious feminist)
Some are old and crusty feminists who refuse to acknowledge that the world has changed since women got the vote and/or built their whole ideology around wombs. Some are reactionaries who try to appear more reasonable by dressing up their bullshit in the language of feminism.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

tbh at this point TERF is more accurate as an abbreviation of 'trans-exclusionary reactionary fascist'

the term FART, 'feminism-appropriating reactionary transphobes', is also becoming more popular, and it's cute and all but tbh they wanted to call themselves TERFs, so they're TERFs

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Palmer just aggressively deadnamed someone he had a twitter slapfight or something with. Oh yeah you're xy who used to be a dudely dude dude, something like that.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, some TERF-isms are trickling in from the UK. The FAZ ran several columns along the lines of "Oh poor JK Rowling is being hounded by the dastardly trans lobby for claiming that sex is real" and similar bullshit.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Torrannor posted:

As for our UK goon looking to relocate to Germany, the presence of a large expat community can of course be a big factor. Some sleepy town in rural Germany will likely have far fewer fellow British people to interact with.

I wondered for a moment if that was me, because I moved to Berlin from London in 2018, but now I’m back in London already.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I haven’t checked but I’m still 99% sure Alice Schwarzer is TERF/FART as gently caress given her postpast history

She’s SERF and islamophobe for sure.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Zwille posted:

I haven’t checked but I’m still 99% sure Alice Schwarzer is TERF/FART as gently caress given her postpast history

She’s SERF and islamophobe for sure.

Wasn't she the one who went on about afd please protect german women from brown hordes

Dommolus Magnus
Feb 27, 2013

Lord Stimperor posted:

Wasn't she the one who went on about afd please protect german women from brown hordes

More like "Alice Brauner", then.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
WHERE IS ALL THE UNWETTER THAT WAS PROMISED TO ME????

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

It’s all Unwetter?

always has been

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
idgi

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/wait-its-all-ohio-always-has-been

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

thank u op 🙏

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

There is no un wetter only un kleidung

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

pidan posted:

That is such a Bundeswehr thing to say.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

It’s more of a Blauhelms thing, really

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
More like Echter Norden thing to say. Or my grandmother.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Duzzy Funlop posted:

That is such a Bundeswehr thing to say.

pidan posted:

Antigravitas posted:

More like Echter Norden thing to say. Or my grandmother.

„Es frieren nur die Dummen und die Armen“ as my grandfather would have said.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Did we have the same grandfather? Extremely disturbing if true.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
sauerkraut might possibly give advantages against covid

fat-rich foods might possibly give disadvantages against covid

https://ctajournal.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s13601-020-00323-0

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Mithaldu posted:

sauerkraut might possibly give advantages against covid

fat-rich foods might possibly give disadvantages against covid

https://ctajournal.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s13601-020-00323-0

Both "might possibly"-s need the biggest asterisks in the world. As far as I can tell, they don't even attempt to cite anything for claims like "Diet differs within Germany, the southern states traditionally having a higher fat-rich diet.", only for the health impact of such diets. As far as I can tell, this is less of an article and more of an open letter, arguing that "It will be needed to test dietary differences between low and high-rate countries." Which, I mean, yeah, sure.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Smirr posted:

Both "might possibly"-s need the biggest asterisks in the world. As far as I can tell, they don't even attempt to cite anything for claims like "Diet differs within Germany, the southern states traditionally having a higher fat-rich diet.", only for the health impact of such diets. As far as I can tell, this is less of an article and more of an open letter, arguing that "It will be needed to test dietary differences between low and high-rate countries." Which, I mean, yeah, sure.

I dunno, man. I ferment my own sauerkraut and eat it regularly and haven't caught corona once this year. How do you explain that?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

OTOH I eat a lot of avocados and olive oil and I don’t have COVID either. I think.

Apropos of Avocado, people on Twitter are starting to call a certain vegan cook turned nazi activist “Avocadolf” and that’s just :laffo:

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, some TERF-isms are trickling in from the UK. The FAZ ran several columns along the lines of "Oh poor JK Rowling is being hounded by the dastardly trans lobby for claiming that sex is real" and similar bullshit.

it's a wonderfully lovely rhethorical device, positioning trans people as making stupid arguments that fly in the face of Common Sense™. Nobody, least of all trans people, ever said biological sex isn't real, just that it doesn't matter. It's about gender, the way that people express and live sex. Gender is constructed and arbitrary. Nobody knows better than trans people what the effects of hormones on the human body are, or that certain combinations of chromosomes usually lead to certain phenotypes.
But it's much easier to reduce your opponent to an easily dispelled silly argument than have a real debate, so TERFs point fingers and say "they thing sex isn't real! They'll assault you in the locker room!" as if sexual assault is suddenly legal if you claim to be trans.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

GABA ghoul posted:

I dunno, man. I ferment my own sauerkraut and eat it regularly and haven't caught corona once this year. How do you explain that?

You smell so strongly people observe strict social distancing?

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Zwille posted:

OTOH I eat a lot of avocados and olive oil and I don’t have COVID either. I think.

Apropos of Avocado, people on Twitter are starting to call a certain vegan cook turned nazi activist “Avocadolf” and that’s just :laffo:

Avocadolfs seem to be at sale at my local Rewe.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Hehehehehe I’m pretty sure they designed those avocado nets just because someone wanted to make a “Hass im Netz” joke

Also shameful they didn’t go 11 cent higher.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Lunar Suite posted:

You smell so strongly people observe strict social distancing?

I don't think so? You can barely even make out the sauerkraut beneath my beloved garlic and gorgonzola.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Smirr posted:

that's why i phrased it like that. the article i got it from says very confidently "kimchi combats covid"

i was very amused by them @ ing bavaria and the ruhrpott tho :haw:

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Lunar Suite posted:

it's a wonderfully lovely rhethorical device, positioning trans people as making stupid arguments that fly in the face of Common Sense™. Nobody, least of all trans people, ever said biological sex isn't real, just that it doesn't matter. It's about gender, the way that people express and live sex. Gender is constructed and arbitrary. Nobody knows better than trans people what the effects of hormones on the human body are, or that certain combinations of chromosomes usually lead to certain phenotypes.
But it's much easier to reduce your opponent to an easily dispelled silly argument than have a real debate, so TERFs point fingers and say "they thing sex isn't real! They'll assault you in the locker room!" as if sexual assault is suddenly legal if you claim to be trans.

very accurate and well put description of the communicational dishonesty at play there

assigning positions the other party doesn't hold is seemingly the favourite pastime of the english-speaking online world

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Hopper posted:

So apparently Attila Hildmann is going full Hitlermann now?

Turns out I was spot on apparently.

https://taz.de/Attila-Hildmann-Kundgebung-in-Berlin/!5701321/

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Thousands of people come to this guy's events? Who are these people? Who sees the incoherent ramblings of a psychotic celebrity and thinks "yeah I'll go support his views about government mind control and Bill Gates injecting children with poison"?

Are these just the flagellant cults of this round of plague? People wanting to take back some power over their lives by embracing crazy beliefs?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

pidan posted:

Who are these people?

https://twitter.com/JFDA_eV/status/1284599896973221889

quote:

hitler war ein segen im vergleich zu merkel

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Well how many Autobahnen did Merkel build?

Checkmate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

pidan posted:

Who are these people?

Well, I guess people like this:

It's strange how many of these people repeat american talking points, isn't it.