Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I can understand from context when a cat wants some food. For some reason people don't give a poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Thaddius the Large posted:

How are they able to distinguish between interpreting context and anthropomorphizing? Genuinely curious, I know so little about animal studies in general.

For one independent people who were fluent in sign language couldn't interpret it but her trainers could. That strongly points to not actually knowing sign language. My dog makes a specific growl when she wants out. But I don't claim she speaks Latin because of it.

Judging animal intelligence on a human vocabulary scale is a scam. The dolphins were a scam. The gorilla and chimps were a scam. The parrots are not a scam and are genuinely assholes.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Atticus_1354 posted:

For one independent people who were fluent in sign language couldn't interpret it but her trainers could. That strongly points to not actually knowing sign language. My dog makes a specific growl when she wants out. But I don't claim she speaks Latin because of it.

Judging animal intelligence on a human vocabulary scale is a scam. The dolphins were a scam. The gorilla and chimps were a scam. The parrots are not a scam and are genuinely assholes.

Yeah, that’s kinda my point, I’m familiar with studies that use way more invasive ways to interpret animal cognition with such detail and accuracy, i.e. MRIs/EEGs/etc, but obviously Koko wasn’t constantly hooked up to those, so I was curious whether the researchers can advance a more objective argument than “looks right to us!”

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Fuuuuuck I don't care about animal cognition, I'm sorry I brought it up

Let's get back to the real meat

Let's be honest here, I don't think it's Koko that has the nipple fixation here

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

Joey was pure lank, just the tallest skinniest motherfucker, but there's also some perspective fuckery here. I think Dee Dee and Johnny were pretty close in height.

edit looks like Dee Dee was shorter than Johnny, check their first album cover. Hard to tell but I think Tommy might be standing on his tip toes on the first album cover

I've heard it said that Joey had Marfan syndrome, which tends to give people a tall, gaunt, long limbed appearance, though this isn't mentioned in his Wikipedia entry. He was 6'6", while Dee Dee and Johnny were 5' something.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Author: Bobson Dugnutt

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Sadly Where’s Waldo Kernel Density Estimate is too long a username.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

In this video, I'll be explaining exactly what I do to find Waldo in 0.5 page turns.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

ultrafilter posted:

She doesn't need that to communicate with her trainers, but the ability to combine words and clauses to form more complicated sentences is one of the big things that people think separates human language from animal communication. If someone wants to argue that apes have the capability for language in the same sense that we do, that's one of the big things they need to demonstrate.

Oh yup, that's sort of what I was getting at. Many animals are more conscious, and more capable of communication, than we typically give credit.

Grammar is very probably a left-hemisphere human thing and sort of parasitical to communication.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

MizPiz posted:

In this video, I'll be explaining exactly what I do to find Waldo in 0.5 page turns.

furiously writing a day one patch with more evenly distributed Waldos
fixed an issue wherein wizard whitebeard would clip through the book

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

OC

I've never been to Paris so I'm not sure exactly how it smells, but my impression is that it's not good. I was really tempted to buy dollar store hand sanitizer so I could smell like Paris at home.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I always heard there were piles of dog poo poo everywhere

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Snowy posted:

I always heard there were piles of dog poo poo everywhere

That seems harsh, French people are still people

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012

If it helps at all, this candle just smells like burnt toast.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

CeramicPig posted:

You should get to an emergency room

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

CeramicPig posted:

They hosed up at the factory, that was the gwyneth paltrow vagina candle but everyone kept making yeast infection jokes so they swapped the cooter one with cinnamon or whatever to hide their shame

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

As an American, who also are not people, citation needed

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qdg1i1R7E61yzx85i.mp4

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MizPiz posted:

This is a tool-assisted speedrun - we'll be using a magnifying glass to precisely locate Waldo.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

mdemone posted:

Well put. He probably glories in hamming all over a mediocre film.

So does Delroy Lindo

https://youtu.be/NJ_pCcemltE

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Facebook Aunt posted:

I've never been to Paris so I'm not sure... how it smells...
                                 \/

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Disrespectfully disagree.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Facebook Aunt posted:

OC

I've never been to Paris so I'm not sure exactly how it smells, but my impression is that it's not good. I was really tempted to buy dollar store hand sanitizer so I could smell like Paris at home.
I'm more upset by that untagged gore on the other sanitizer.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Knormal posted:

I'm more upset by that untagged gore on the other sanitizer.

It's shameful what they get away with these days.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Cable Guy posted:

\/

Ah, the Flehmen reaponse.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I went on an extraordinary journey with this video.

Twice.

Edit: three times. At least.

Chris Pistols
Oct 20, 2008

Piss Crystals

Beachcomber posted:

I saw this movie.

This is one of my favourite Bowie songs and I can't believe I never clocked it was written for a film.

"That night, a prostitute named Ruthie walks into a fleabag motel to meet a john, but instead finds a melanistic leopard that mauls her foot." - Wikipedia plot summary

I must watch this film.

Anyway, pictures:

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

It's a big problem (it's not a big problem)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_syndrome

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

They don't kill the rats there in case one is a talented chef

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Mods I am on my knees pleading for this name change.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This is a tool-assisted speedrun - we'll be using a magnifying glass to precisely locate Waldo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G06t97DawhA

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

:stare:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Facebook Aunt posted:

OC

Went to Paris. Heard "rude to Americans" Learned some french, used Google translate. Everyone was loving awesome. Greatest croissants ever. Best wine. Loved every second.

Whole city smelled like piss and cigarettes.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

How do I get this job? Do they need references? A skills test? Does it work on commission?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cartoon Man posted:

How do I get this job? Do they need references? A skills test? Does it work on commission?

The pay is poo poo, but you get a lot of exposure

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

The Bloop posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

The Bloop posted:

drat son!