Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Is Legends of Tomorrow good eventually? The first few episodes were inhumanesque

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
It get better as it goes on and they realize that they need to lean into the idea that they're a dumb comic book show about time traveling idiots.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Is Legends of Tomorrow good eventually? The first few episodes were inhumanesque

The first season is middling to bad, and only worth watching to get the full arc of characters like Sara, Nate, and Mick. Once they start turning the episode titles into puns about halfway through the second season the transformation into the sublime is complete.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

My sister got Disney+ for something called Hamilton so I finally got around to watching The Mandalorian and hey it's got Ming-Na as a badass assassin. Hard to believe she's 56.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

It gets so much better. Probably coincidental but it really feels like this season of AoS took inspiration from LoT.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

nooneofconsequence posted:

My sister got Disney+ for something called Hamilton so I finally got around to watching The Mandalorian and hey it's got Ming-Na as a badass assassin. Hard to believe she's 56.

She is the first to complete the new Disney equivalent of an EGOT: Marvel Hero, Star Wars character, and Disney Princess.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Ming-Na, Clark Gregg, and Henry Simmons all look about 20 years younger than they are.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

It gets so much better. Probably coincidental but it really feels like this season of AoS took inspiration from LoT.

I keep hearing this but those first episodes I watched were soooo bad. Like they'll gently caress up and kill all these mooks, but "No, we can't Murder Vandal" bullshit. Okay, he regenerates, great, chop him up, box the parts and drop them in different volcanoes.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Soonmot posted:

I keep hearing this but those first episodes I watched were soooo bad. Like they'll gently caress up and kill all these mooks, but "No, we can't Murder Vandal" bullshit. Okay, he regenerates, great, chop him up, box the parts and drop them in different volcanoes.
I won't argue. The first season is pure trash. The leap they took in S2 is probably the most impressive television feat I've ever seen.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Soonmot posted:

It's hard to imagine the first season of LoT while watching the third. The attitude shift through the second season is significant. They kinda drop the "This is a serious show about superheroes" angle and go hard on Time Idiots.

I guess I'd describe it like this. AoS got into their groove on at "Turn Turn Turn". LoT was never going to have that episode, so they skipped to Space Vegas and Chopping Mall homage episodes. The only real reason AoS and LoT couldn't do a crossover at this point is that the Legends abhor crossovers as a plot point.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It has that Arrowverse problem of having the villain dead to rights and something pointless and stupid comes up and that prevents them from taking action. They might as well say "We can't kill him now, there's still 17 more episodes in this season!"

Also The Time Masters were laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

twistedmentat posted:

It has that Arrowverse problem of having the villain dead to rights and something pointless and stupid comes up and that prevents them from taking action. They might as well say "We can't kill him now, there's still 17 more episodes in this season!"

Also The Time Masters were laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame.

Yeah they were.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
"Hey guys, we can't kill this immortal dude with no other superpowers. How do we stop him?"
"*all eyes ignore the literal freeze-ray they carry around at all times*"
"Well, guess we gotta either run from him or kill him, lol"

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Watching them straight-play a team of literal superheroes getting repeated owned by a guy who (other than regeneration) has no powers is hilarious.

I'm on Episode 10 wherein Rip gets bullied by a 12 year old

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Legends S1 is so atrocious but they make up for it because post S1 legends is the single best comic book show on TV other than Shield, and it's not even close.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Remember when at the end of season 1, their plan to defeat Vandal Savage was to assassinate him in three different time periods simultaneously?

In season 1, we were expected to take that completely seriously. I could easily see a plot point like that happening on the Legends of today but treated as the absurdity it deserves. You can see it start to pivot in direction with the start of s2 and it more or less gets there by halfway through that season when they find out George Lucas has the Spear of Destiny.

FWIW the showrunners are Chris Fedak and Phil Klemmer, respectively the co-showrunner and a key writer on Chuck, and I've definitely been getting similar vibes as it from LoT for a while now.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The plot of Legends season two is the writers saying "let's get the three hammiest bad guys we have on contract and put them in a scenery-chewing competition." The only reason any of the characters get away with being so overblown is because everyone else is doing it too. And then the show will suddenly steer everyone into a touching moment that makes you forget you were just watching Richard Nixon choke on a lie-detecting beetle. It's a stupid show, but it comes by the stupid honestly so it works, and at its best it feels like a very improv "this is happening just go with it" energy.

If that sounds like your jam, it nails it once they find their footing.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Argue posted:

FWIW the showrunners are Chris Fedak and Phil Klemmer, respectively the co-showrunner and a key writer on Chuck, and I've definitely been getting similar vibes as it from LoT for a while now.

Fedak hasn't worked on LoT in years, his current show is Prodigal Son. Klemmer and Keto Shimizu are the showrunners for Legends.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
My bad! Someone please fix the Wikipedia article thanks

Edit: it definitely still feels very Chuck though

Argue fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jul 19, 2020

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Gwaihir posted:

Legends S1 is so atrocious but they make up for it because post S1 legends is the single best comic book show on TV other than Shield, and it's not even close.

Doom Patrol's streaming so I guess that's fair.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Argue posted:

My bad! Someone please fix the Wikipedia article thanks

Edit: it definitely still feels very Chuck though
Showrunners copy other showrunners quite often, to lesser effect.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Killer robot posted:

Doom Patrol's streaming so I guess that's fair.

I was pleasantly surprised that Doom Patrol and Legends found different but both fun ways of doing "comedy about a bunch of superpowered losers."

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I mean...watch this and decide if you think it'll be worth sticking through:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBQQ_-VuvGU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Phylodox posted:

okay you got me

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Phylodox posted:

it's telling that I immediately thought of 8 scenes that this could be, and it was none of them.

This was the one I'd have picked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdRTZevzpZM

(and there's like 20 scenes from that episode alone that could be linked)

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.
Daisy almost immediately sorting this poo poo out is great...

EDIT: Or not?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Loops inside loops!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

We started with her having gone through the loop a few times, it seems.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

What I personally think is happening is that she loses her memories after a certain number of loops? But Coulson remembers everything? Maybe?

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.
I hope every time they go through the loop the opening credit splash is there

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I died!? Again?!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh, it's death that resets her memories

Ahahaha, Coulson is done

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Hahaha I love how Coulson is just over this already.

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

Agent's of Shield S7 - "Vinyl's Back!"

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The numbers?!?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

"What a pain in the rear end." lmao

TIME LOOP SABOTEUR

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

What a pain in the rear end.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

What a pain in the rear end.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Man, Coulson really over this time loop bullshit lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

swickles posted:

Man, Coulson really over this time loop bullshit lol

Coulson acting like Data if Data had the emotion chip during the time loop episode