Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Mak0rz posted:

Your first bumble bee is likely B. terrestris.
If it's Europe, then yeah, pretty definitely. Bombus hortorum looks very similar and shares most of the same habitats and distribution, but you can tell that it's B. terrestris by the way it has only one yellow band on its abdomen instead of the characteristic twin bands that you see on B. hortorum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Cardiovorax posted:

If it's Europe, then yeah, pretty definitely. Bombus hortorum looks very similar and shares most of the same habitats and distribution, but you can tell that it's B. terrestris by the way it has only one yellow band on its abdomen instead of the characteristic twin bands that you see on B. hortorum.

There's also B. lucorum (or B. cryptarum or whatever the hell they're calling it these days). A member of a complex species group that can be found in upper latitudes of the entire northern hemisphere. It was once known as B. moderatus in North America, for those familiar with the species here.

It looks almost the same except the butt is generally a stark white ompared to B. terrestris' more ivory ("buff") colored tail.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I just got a new camera, so you get a whole bunch of pictures today.

Tons bumbly and not-so-bumbly bees today, they really love that lavender.

Once a grasshopper, now a spider's dinner.

Scopula floslactata, I think, A.K.A. the Yellowish-White Tinymoth. No, really, that's what they're called here. Probably got named on a Friday afternoon or something.

Firebug nymph, fifth instar.

Pieris rapae, locally referred to as the Lesser Cabbage-Whiteling. Three guesses for what its caterpillars eat. Looks a lot creepier up close than I thought it would.

Your standard trash-can variety blowfly, holding still for a really close shot thanks to some conveniently-placed old spiderwebs.

A Stenodema grass bug of some sort. Probably laevigata, but they all look pretty much the same, so don't quote me on that.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

Mak0rz posted:

Leafcutter bee. Family Megachilidae. Recall our conversation earlier about carrying pollen on their hairy bellies :eng101:

Nope, this is a bumble bee. Are you in Europe? This looks like Bombus pascuorum.

Your first bumble bee is likely B. terrestris.

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah I am in Europe (UK), thanks.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
So that thing that looks like a cluster of dead leaves is actually a caterpillar of some kind. They appear every year, eat all the leaves on a couple of rose bushes, then turn that leaf camouflage into a cocoon. What the hell is it and what will it be? (They're not my bushes, they're at the nearby Starbucks.)

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
My butterfly emerged!

I love the camouflage when resting vs. flashiness when flying vibe.

Can't figure out an ID yet but I'll keep looking (Edmonton, Alberta).

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Chinston Wurchill posted:

My butterfly emerged!

I love the camouflage when resting vs. flashiness when flying vibe.

Can't figure out an ID yet but I'll keep looking (Edmonton, Alberta).

Comma butterfly. https://bugguide.net/node/view/297/bgpage There are a few to choose from.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Slo-Tek posted:

Comma butterfly. https://bugguide.net/node/view/297/bgpage There are a few to choose from.

Thanks! I thought that might be it but the spots seemed off.

The butterfly emerged right before we took off to Jasper National Park for the weekend.

The usually Jasper welcoming committee.

I thought this might be a silverfish in our cabin but it doesn't look like it on further inspection.

We had to tread carefully on our morning walks! I felt pretty nervous coming around a corner on a narrow path to see those three faces looking down.

Although the big animals are always fun and pikas are even better (no pics sadly) I think the most interesting thing I spotted on this visit was rocks FULL of fossils on a hike.

I guess we were near the Burgess shale, but I had no idea there were so many fossils! Shame it was snowing so we couldn't look around for long, but still super cool.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I thought this might be a silverfish in our cabin but it doesn't look like it on further inspection.
Nope! It sure isn't. That's a bristletail, they're very common in certain habitats and honestly kind of look like they should be crustaceans. They're not, though, it's an insect. Also, the tails don't do anything, but certain other and similar-looking insects can breathe through theirs.

Also, no pikas? Aw. Pikas are cute.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

Nope! It sure isn't. That's a bristletail, they're very common in certain habitats and honestly kind of look like they should be crustaceans. They're not, though, it's an insect. Also, the tails don't do anything, but certain other and similar-looking insects can breathe through theirs.

Also, no pikas? Aw. Pikas are cute.

Cool! I'll have to look into them some more.

I spotted a couple pikas at a distance but they didn't stick around. Here are some photos from my last trip to Jasper in 2016 when they were far more agreeable.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

So cuddly. :kimchi:

The Strangest Finch
Nov 23, 2007

Saw this fellow while trying not to die of heat exhaustion earlier this week. I'm digging the colors but have no idea what he is... besides presumably a moth. I'm down in SE Georgia fwiw.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

With those colors, definitely an Imperial Moth Eacles imperialis!

The Strangest Finch
Nov 23, 2007

Oooo. Dope, thanks!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
My dad found this 'un in his garden and can't identify. He lives in Austria, near Vienna.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Fairly sure that it's one of these here: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balkenschr%C3%B6ter

It's a type of stag beetle, lucky find! Looks like it's a female. If he puts her in a glass covered with a sieve, she might attract males.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Found a fresh one and put him on a tree. It was covered in shells.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLhf2aSgsLE

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Cardiovorax posted:

Fairly sure that it's one of these here: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balkenschr%C3%B6ter

It's a type of stag beetle, lucky find! Looks like it's a female. If he puts her in a glass covered with a sieve, she might attract males.

Think it might rather be a female Lucanus cervus, on the account of the browner colour and finer puncturations of its elytra. And seems rather large.

Here, for comparison, a Dorcus parallelipipedus i found a couple of years ago:

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 17, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I thought the coloring of the elytra to come from a reflection of the man's palms, which are very brightly red on that photo, but now that you're saying it, you might be right. I found a Lucano female once and it was far paler than that, so I didn't really connect them, but apparently the species has a surprising amount of variation in colors and sizes.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!
More practise with my macro lens in the garden.

Hover fly again.

Small black thing, think both pics are the same insect but not sure.

A different, slightly larger, small black thing! Not sure what it is but I love the iridescence on the wings.

Leafcutter I think.

(Focus is a bit off on the bee in this one but I love the colour of the flower in the background).

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Found a sleeping bumblebee in my lavender who worked for so long she couldn't make it all way the back home before nightfall.

Imagine the tiny little buzzy snores, I guarantee you they were there.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Surprise moth dropped in on me while I was doing coursework. Now with a complimentary 5-mm scale for easier identification. Enjoy.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
let my dog out and there were a handful of these fellas outside on the door. I used to find them all the time in the underbrush in the woods, I take it they're a local wild cockroach? this is in massachusetts. they're very small, only about half an inch long. sometimes I find them inside, but they've never been like, an infestation like american cockroaches do, it's just our house is a century and a half old and critters get inside no matter what we do.

I didn't notice until I looked at that closeup that they've got a clear shell over their body, neat.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

let my dog out and there were a handful of these fellas outside on the door. I used to find them all the time in the underbrush in the woods, I take it they're a local wild cockroach?
That's in fact exactly what they are! There is a wide range of mostly solitary outdoor roaches. This one in particular looks amazingly similar to the Amber Forest Roach (Ectobius vittiventris) that is native to central Europe, although it clearly can't be one of those.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah, it's much shorter and fatter than that one.

I know these ones don't generally do well inside and aren't pests so unlike, say, the terrible little bastard flies that have started popping up probably from a dead mouse in the walls or something, I let them go free outside

I flicked a fly on the windowsill and it rocketed straight into a spider web in the corner of the window, who freaked out momentarily before going "oh? ohhhh, what is this movement in my web? FREE LUNCH" and promptly tied the fly up as they do

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Back in Kentucky my apartment backed up onto pasture and the lights would draw wood roaches (Parcoblatta pennsylvanica iirc) like crazy.

Never had the slightest indication they were actually living inside or anything one would just show up now and then when I had a window open

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

NE US, forest.

I’m pretty confident this is a bee mimicking robber fly based on the split feet and that I’m pretty sure I can see the stylet on the face. Not too familiar with those species though.

It’s definitely not a bee based on wings alone.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Your daily serving of garden critters today is spiders instead of bees. I thought I'd try something new and made a video this time.

https://i.imgur.com/u6Unyu5.mp4

Please tell me if there are any issues with the size of the video, I have difficulties getting it to display correctly on SA. Works fine on Imgur, so no idea what is up with that. :shrug:

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 19, 2020

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Just static jpegs for me

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

https://i.imgur.com/u6Unyu5.mp4

Please tell me if there are any issues with the size of the video, I have difficulties getting it to display correctly on SA. Works fine on Imgur, so no idea what is up with that. :shrug:

Don't use timg/img tags on videos, just drop the raw url in and the forums will parse it for you. Won't work in the preview, because the forums are exellently coded.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Awful app handles it fine, go figure

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Mordja posted:

Just static jpegs for me
The first two are just regular images, check if the third one is displaying well for you now. Should be, though.

SubNat posted:

Don't use timg/img tags on videos, just drop the raw url in and the forums will parse it for you. Won't work in the preview, because the forums are exellently coded.
Yup, works better, thanks.

e: anyone have an interest in me trying to capture some high-speed videos of insect flight, now that I know that this works? My new camera can do that, apparently, and thanks to my lavender I have no shortage of subjects.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 19, 2020

Skratte
Nov 11, 2010

My new best friend

wolf spider I caught and released back outside.

Fish nests. I believe they were bluegills, I got somewhat of a look at them.

Found this living barrel in my front yard.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Skratte posted:

Found this living barrel in my front yard.

Ah, you must live in Transylvania.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

hummingbird egg shell! i have gone through some extra work this year to attract them, in addition to the feeders also setting up a small misting system to shoot mist into the air at various intervals during the day which i heard they liked. seems to have worked!

edit: had a close encounter with a porcupine last evening and in looking up more info on them today i discovered that 'The male will dance for the female and then urinate on her to get her attention.'

Mozi fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jul 21, 2020

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Mozi posted:

hummingbird egg shell! i have gone through some extra work this year to attract them, in addition to the feeders also setting up a small misting system to shoot mist into the air at various intervals during the day which i heard they liked. seems to have worked!

edit: had a close encounter with a porcupine last evening and in looking up more info on them today i discovered that 'The male will dance for the female and then urinate on her to get her attention.'

I've been considering some hummingbird feeders but I'm not sure they'll show up in Edmonton.

I actually saw the porcupine mating display on a morning run a couple years ago. I miss that running route, my new neighbourhood is far less reliable for porcupines.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Judging from the map here https://www.hummingbirdcentral.com/hummingbird-migration-spring-2020-map.htm they do make it up there so you could give it a shot next year.

Bug sighting, on tomato plant:

never seen one like this before!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I think that's a nymph of Acanthocephela terminalis, the black leaf-footed bug, of the true bugs. You'd expect it to be some kind of assassin bug from the appearance, but it seems like it isn't.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Mozi posted:

Judging from the map here https://www.hummingbirdcentral.com/hummingbird-migration-spring-2020-map.htm they do make it up there so you could give it a shot next year.

Bug sighting, on tomato plant:

never seen one like this before!

I think it's a Big-Legged Plant Bug nymph, Acanthocephala terminalis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Cool! I definitely recognize the adult form more. You're right I thought it might be some sort of assassin bug.