Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Remember wooden A frames? Jesus those things were scary, glad I haven't seen on of those in ages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

FCKGW posted:

Remember wooden A frames? Jesus those things were scary, glad I haven't seen on of those in ages

My dad still has one. He did "borrow" my fiberglass 8 footer like a year ago though so I think even he is scared to use it now.

A job site required I get a ladder certification to do some AV work. That makes me an expert on ladders :colbert:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

My folding multi ladder is super heavy, only complaint.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Mr. Mambold posted:

If it's rickety as all gently caress, that's why you found it on the roadside. Fall awkwardly off even the 2nd step and you'll pay that thing forward too. That's why they're called widowmakers.

The cursed ladder that kills its owner and mysteriously re-appears at the side of the road. There's a Twilight Zone episode here

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

It’s time for me to start buying some cordless tools. My wife just ordered an outdoor playhouse for my kids, and putting it together with a regular screwdriver has my hand already cramping up. I figure I will be greatly annoyed at trying to use my corded drill as a screwdriver that much.

I am first looking for a cordless screwdriver. With the playhouse, and all the other things that will need to be assembled for my kids, something a little more compact than a drill would probably be nice.

I am pretty clueless when it come to manufacturer quality. I have seen Ryobi mentioned in the last couple of pages. Have they gotten better compared to 15ish years ago? My first couple of cordless drills from them In the early 2000’s were junk with batteries that wouldn’t hold a charge long enough to drive more than 1-2 screws.

I am willing to spend over $100 for a quality tool, especially if the battery system is good and will be around for awhile. I would prefer to keep to a single system so I don’t have to have 10 different chargers plugged in all over the place. But if there is a good one for less, I don’t need to spend big money on tools. I want quality, and realize that can come with a cost.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Orvin posted:

It’s time for me to start buying some cordless tools. My wife just ordered an outdoor playhouse for my kids, and putting it together with a regular screwdriver has my hand already cramping up. I figure I will be greatly annoyed at trying to use my corded drill as a screwdriver that much.

I am first looking for a cordless screwdriver. With the playhouse, and all the other things that will need to be assembled for my kids, something a little more compact than a drill would probably be nice.

I am pretty clueless when it come to manufacturer quality. I have seen Ryobi mentioned in the last couple of pages. Have they gotten better compared to 15ish years ago? My first couple of cordless drills from them In the early 2000’s were junk with batteries that wouldn’t hold a charge long enough to drive more than 1-2 screws.

I am willing to spend over $100 for a quality tool, especially if the battery system is good and will be around for awhile. I would prefer to keep to a single system so I don’t have to have 10 different chargers plugged in all over the place. But if there is a good one for less, I don’t need to spend big money on tools. I want quality, and realize that can come with a cost.

They don't have an electric screwdriver on the 18V One+ battery platform, because it would defeat the purpose of a small tool like that. But if you want a cordless drill, which I think is good to have around for all sorts of home stuff, their 18V drill is perfectly fine and cheap. The old batteries were NiCad I think, and they were garbage, but the new (like last 10 years or so) ones are LiIon like everything else. Same form factor and voltage though, so they're compatible with old tools and vice versa.

You might consider the drill and impact driver, which they sell as a bundle and is often on sale. It's very useful to have a pilot hole bit in the drill and be able to pre-drill and then drive screws without changing bits.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
Impact drivers tend to run a little smaller than drills as well so there's that. One issue with Ryobi's cheap entry level drills is they're quite large compared to most modern equivalents, not really enough to be a problem in most cases but if that's really a concern for you it's something to watch for.

If you really value compactness you could consider going 12v, they're plenty powerful for most home owner uses, it's only when you need to use 1"+ auger bits or large hole saws they become iffy. You're going to be looking at Milwaukee if you want a battery system with the largest breadth of tools available in 12v but their basic entry level brushed 12v tools run around the same price as Ryobi's 18v stuff, if you go 12v you definitely want an impact driver to go with the drill.

Orvin posted:

NiCad tools sucked compared to modern Lithium tools but man, they didn't suck that bad, I assume you're exaggerating a little but you probably had defective batteries or something.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Elem7 posted:

Impact drivers tend to run a little smaller than drills as well so there's that. One issue with Ryobi's cheap entry level drills is they're quite large compared to most modern equivalents, not really enough to be a problem in most cases but if that's really a concern for you it's something to watch for.

If you really value compactness you could consider going 12v, they're plenty powerful for most home owner uses, it's only when you need to use 1"+ auger bits or large hole saws they become iffy. You're going to be looking at Milwaukee if you want a battery system with the largest breadth of tools available in 12v but their basic entry level brushed 12v tools run around the same price as Ryobi's 18v stuff, if you go 12v you definitely want an impact driver to go with the drill.

NiCad tools sucked compared to modern Lithium tools but man, they didn't suck that bad, I assume you're exaggerating a little but you probably had defective batteries or something.

I don’t think I am exaggerating. But that was after owning a $20 Ryobi drill for at least a year, and the battery being stored in the case untended. So I am sure I was essentially abusing the shittiest of batteries. I gave up on cordless when I had to install some blinds in my bedroom (4 screws per window), and couldn’t get though one window before the drill ran out of power.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Elem7 posted:

The first drill I ever had was a Black & Decker 12V NiCad and after a year or so it needed a full charge to run for like 10 minutes of light use.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Elem7 posted:

He's not exaggerating by much. Ryobi's nicad batteries were astoundingly lovely. Like, considerably worse than any other brand at the time. I've had good luck with their LiOn batteries though.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

My dad had a NiCad Ryobi and after maybe a year of low-to-moderate use the batteries were shot to the point where it would start to noticeably lose performance after ~20ish screws.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
The basic formula is blue ryobi=garbage, neon green ryobi=surprisingly good.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Any recommendations for a high quality hand saw? I'll be mostly using it for crosscuts on hardwood when I don't feel like using the powered miter saw.

This might be more of a question for the woodworking thread so I'll post it there too.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Any recommendations for a high quality hand saw? I'll be mostly using it for crosscuts on hardwood when I don't feel like using the powered miter saw.

This might be more of a question for the woodworking thread so I'll post it there too.

I bought a ~$20 Japanese Ryoba saw for basically this reason and I love it.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Started off with a Irwin Marples Japanese ryoba and haaaaaated it.

Recently got the Spear and Jackson 10tpi panel saw though off Amazon and loooooove that thing. Also got their tenon saw and haven't had a chance to do much with it, but so far after sharpening both for a rip cut and taking out some of the set on the tenon saw really liking them. Wanting to get the 7tpi full length handsaw for breaking stock down, the panel saw is working great but would like to make bigger cuts a little faster.

Panel saw
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0043YN9BQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_eAofFb9GFQ48A

Tenon saw
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0043YHJQ2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_NAofFbAKDMA2V

Next on the hit list
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0043YN9CK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_fBofFbWR19R75

Needed to upgrade off that Irwin ryoba stat, and typically would hit up estate sales, but with covid putting a damper on those these have made for some really nice options for not much more. I would think a triangle file and a quick sharpen are mandatory, but that's like $5 and 5 minutes.

Bob Mundon fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jul 20, 2020

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Item Dimensions L x W x H 252 x 65 x 11.8 inches

:raise:

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

ThinkFear posted:

I like the peg trays like these guys. Only complaint is the spacing can be a hair tight for impact sockets. Not enough to not work, but a little tight.

Cool, I xould print those

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut

JEEVES420 posted:

Item Dimensions L x W x H 252 x 65 x 11.8 inches

:raise:

Lol, not quite. 22in long which is big for a panel saw, but a hair under 252, and I haven't measured the plate but it's probably shy of 5 feet.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

stealie72 posted:

The basic formula is blue ryobi=garbage, neon green ryobi=surprisingly good.

You need to qualify that as referring to the blue batteries. The blue tools are fine. And I had a good batch of blue batteries too, fwiw. They wilted after 4 or 5 years which was the expected lifespan, and weren't an arm and a leg to replace like DeWalt.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mr. Mambold posted:

weren't an arm and a leg to replace like DeWalt.

As someone locked into the DeWalt ecosystem, this is the real lock in people need to be aware of. They're using the razor blade model: give the tools away for cheap, charge the poo poo out of you for the consumables.

The 20v batteries just LOVE to not charge when they get run down too far. The chargers simply won't recognize them. In almost every case where this has happened "jumping" them from a charged battery for a second or so has given them enough juice for the charger to start working but......I mean, come on that a load of bullshit.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Has anyone come up with a workable cordless-to-corded adapter solution for dewalt tools yet? I understand a lot of the issues there, but I also understand there are some very clever people out there. It'd be sweet to be able to run my impact driver in corded mode sometimes.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Bad Munki posted:

Has anyone come up with a workable cordless-to-corded adapter solution for dewalt tools yet? I understand a lot of the issues there, but I also understand there are some very clever people out there. It'd be sweet to be able to run my impact driver in corded mode sometimes.

If you could get around the amperage restraint a typical 19v laptop powerbrick macguyvered to your drill's leads via a 3D printer would seem to offer possibility. I know almost zero about basic electronics, but that thread (shirley, there is one) would be most help.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
Since we are on the topic, just a periodic reminder to never store/charge your batteries in your garage (if you live somewhere that is regularly above 80' in the summers, which appears to be the entire US as of late). Storing a charged battery in even relatively mild warm conditions for an extended period will absolutely murder them.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Hubis posted:

Since we are on the topic, just a periodic reminder to never store/charge your batteries in your garage (if you live somewhere that is regularly above 80' in the summers, which appears to be the entire US as of late). Storing a charged battery in even relatively mild warm conditions for an extended period will absolutely murder them.

And people laugh at me for having more tool chargers in my kitchen than appliances :colbert:

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

JEEVES420 posted:

And people laugh at me for having more tool chargers in my kitchen than appliances :colbert:

Now I too laugh at you. :laugh: Mine are in my livingroom!

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Mine are in my garage.

(which is attached, and a nice constant 68 degrees.)

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Mine are in my garage.

(which is attached, and a nice constant 68 degrees.)

If it was heated just one more degree it'd be :nice:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Mine are in the garage and it's uh, 105 degrees outside right now.
I will go move them.

"If you're cold they're cold, bring them inside" but with tool batteries.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

my batteries sit at the workbench that the old guy built sometime in the 70 years of homeownership.. it's got the "grandpa" charger shelf so my 3 chargers sit there for when I'm rotating through charging and the batteries go right below them.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Mine all sit in the basement most of the time in my work bench which never gets above 70. Even my garage probably stays under 80. The joys of the PNW.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Get the brushless Ryobi, they're really good. Otherwise Makita is a winner. All my cordless is Ryobi and my drill is going on 8 years and still running well. It helped build a brewery stand from mild steel which involved putting about 32x 8mm holes through some 8mm thick plate for mounting poo poo to, it's drilled stainless steel at a reasonable rate, tons of timber etc

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Orvin posted:

I don’t think I am exaggerating. But that was after owning a $20 Ryobi drill for at least a year, and the battery being stored in the case untended. So I am sure I was essentially abusing the shittiest of batteries. I gave up on cordless when I had to install some blinds in my bedroom (4 screws per window), and couldn’t get though one window before the drill ran out of power.

Nthing everyone else that li-ion corded tools are a whole different creature than the ni-cad days. Sounds like Ryobi would be a good ecosystem for you if you only occasionally need some power tools, and they have some lawn and other tools that might be handy down the line for you. I recently donated my pneumatic impact wrench because I can’t see myself ever using it again, what with my electric 18v.

Otherwise Makita or Milwaukee would be the way to go if you want a bump in quality and selection. I’d try and figure out anything you might possibly want and check to see if the ecosystem you’re going with has it before pulling the trigger on anything. I personally abuse the poo poo out of Makita, and am still going strong with the original four year old batteries that came with the intro kit.

By the way, thanks thread for helping me realize the stupidity of saving random fasteners. Still have the miscellaneous bucket of doom, but today I just chucked a ton of poo poo because if I have a major project, I’m just going to buy fasteners and not dick with half finished boxes or random sizes. Especially Phillips, gently caress new Phillips fasteners. Every cheapo drill has a clutch now, just let the drat standard die already

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I ended up going with the Milwaukee 12v tools. They were large enough to be comfortable in my hand, but didn’t seem to be overly heavy. I figured with the size of the jobs around my house, I didn’t need the 18v or larger tool systems, so I could save some money there. Also, the fact that Ace carries Milwaukee, and I had some gift cards and rewards points was what pushed it over the top. My local Ace is closer, and has much better/helpful employees that the Home Depot.

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat

Orvin posted:

I ended up going with the Milwaukee 12v tools. They were large enough to be comfortable in my hand, but didn’t seem to be overly heavy. I figured with the size of the jobs around my house, I didn’t need the 18v or larger tool systems, so I could save some money there. Also, the fact that Ace carries Milwaukee, and I had some gift cards and rewards points was what pushed it over the top. My local Ace is closer, and has much better/helpful employees that the Home Depot.

You won't be disappointed. I have both 18v and 12v Milwaukee drills and reach for the 12v every time.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Orvin posted:

Home Depot had a killer deal on a buy one get one in the 12v a few weeks back that I jumped on. Ended up with 5 tools and 3 batteries for about $400. They're great tools.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Hey guys, I have a corded Makita 5" ROS that I love and has always performed great. But lately I seem to get a lot of tingling in my arms after 5-10 minutes of use. I know excessive sander use can cause nerve damage from the vibrations, but I wouldn't call my use excessive. Can anyone recommend a sander with less vibration/better grip isolation?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

swampface posted:

You won't be disappointed. I have both 18v and 12v Milwaukee drills and reach for the 12v every time.

:same:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Motronic posted:

As someone locked into the DeWalt ecosystem, this is the real lock in people need to be aware of. They're using the razor blade model: give the tools away for cheap, charge the poo poo out of you for the consumables.

The 20v batteries just LOVE to not charge when they get run down too far. The chargers simply won't recognize them. In almost every case where this has happened "jumping" them from a charged battery for a second or so has given them enough juice for the charger to start working but......I mean, come on that a load of bullshit.

True.

But the knock-offs are very good and far more affordable. IMO there's no reason to buy brand name batteries.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Got a good source to share?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Nthing everyone else that li-ion corded tools are a whole different creature than the ni-cad days. Sounds like Ryobi would be a good ecosystem for you if you only occasionally need some power tools, and they have some lawn and other tools that might be handy down the line for you. I recently donated my pneumatic impact wrench because I can’t see myself ever using it again, what with my electric 18v.

Otherwise Makita or Milwaukee would be the way to go if you want a bump in quality and selection. I’d try and figure out anything you might possibly want and check to see if the ecosystem you’re going with has it before pulling the trigger on anything. I personally abuse the poo poo out of Makita, and am still going strong with the original four year old batteries that came with the intro kit.

By the way, thanks thread for helping me realize the stupidity of saving random fasteners. Still have the miscellaneous bucket of doom, but today I just chucked a ton of poo poo because if I have a major project, I’m just going to buy fasteners and not dick with half finished boxes or random sizes. Especially Phillips, gently caress new Phillips fasteners. Every cheapo drill has a clutch now, just let the drat standard die already

I got my makitas in 2015 maybe and they are still in use, I also use the batteries it came with for my weed whacker. I am very satisfied with Makita.