Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Bingeing Law & Order is kinda depressing... particularly SVU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Peacock doesn't have Roku support :wtf:

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

bull3964 posted:

They also have yet to launch their Android or Android TV app and are "working on it."

Library on Peacock is pretty poo poo and I'm noticing a lot of the big name movies like "The Matrix" say they only have 16 days left to watch yet the site doesn't have an expiring category to let you know all the stuff that may be going away.

If you strip out all the Syfy original movies from the list, the movie libray would be very bare bones. Perhaps they should have waited to launch until they actually had streaming rights back to their universal catalog?

I was able to download Peacock on my phone? Got the free 3 months of premium as well with it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Photex posted:

I was able to download Peacock on my phone? Got the free 3 months of premium as well with it.

The app finally went live.

And it doesn't appear that there's 5.1 sound support. What.A.loving.Joke. You do not launch a paid premium streaming service in 2020 without Dolby Digital Plus streaming.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

bull3964 posted:

The app finally went live.

And it doesn't appear that there's 5.1 sound support. What.A.loving.Joke. You do not launch a paid premium streaming service in 2020 without Dolby Digital Plus streaming.

agreed, it's VERY underwhelming.

They don't have any of the back catalog of Chicago Fire/PD/Med

edit: saving grace for me might be Top Chef

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Even on the no-ads plan, you get 15 second preroll for other shows on the service. I'm already subscribing to the service, I don't need to see ads to get me to subscribe to the service.

Everything I would have expected from Comcast sadly.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Even on the no-ads plan, you get 15 second preroll for other shows on the service. I'm already subscribing to the service, I don't need to see ads to get me to subscribe to the service.

Everything I would have expected from Comcast sadly.

I mean, this isn't exactly unique to Peacock. Amazon already does this, and I've definitely seen it on HBO Max and maybe CBS All Access too. Netflix seems to be the only ones that reliably don't do this.

bull3964 posted:

Hulu still doesn't have 5.1 support on the AppleTV app. I had to watch Palm Springs in stereo like a loving CAVEMAN.

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 15, 2020

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

OldSenileGuy posted:

I mean, this isn't exactly unique to Peacock. Amazon already does this, and I've definitely seen it on HBO Max and maybe CBS All Access too. Netflix seems to be the only ones that reliably don't do this.

The implementation here is especially annoying because it's not baked into the stream like it is in the other platforms. So, you have to wait for it to start, you get the ad countdown, then when it finishes you have to wait for the program stream to start.

I'm not a fan of the pre-rolls on other services either, so I'm going to call them out when I see them.

OldSenileGuy posted:

Hulu still doesn't have 5.1 support on the AppleTV app. I had to watch Palm Springs in stereo like a loving CAVEMAN.

That's an AppleTV issue though. 5.1 support is there on enough non-apple devices for Hulu. Chromecast, AndroidTV, Roku, and WebOS all have 5.1 support on Hulu.

Peacock just flat out doesn't offer it and that's unacceptable in 2020.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

Yep! Launch a new streaming platform that doesn't support arguably the most widespread of streaming devices? Makes perfect sense!

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Grant DaNasty posted:

lots and lots of shows that I couldn't give 2 shits about

Out of all of this, the only things I could bring myself to watch are:
“Saturday Night Live,”
“The Johnny Carson Show,”
“The Carol Burnett Show,”
“Hell’s Kitchen,”
select events from the upcoming Tokyo and Beijing Olympics. (yeah loving right, I'll believe it when I see it)
“Superstore,”

They sure peacocked it up on this whole thing.
That should be their slogan. I would expect nothing less from Comcast. Who is probably reading this comment right now as I am sending it.

If anything what they have shown is that media companies don't know poo poo about what consumers want and they are willing to spend a billion dollars to fail at it, meanwhile they could just ask and be told that what people want is the noise and bullshit stripped out, and when they say "no ads" they want no ads. There is no way I am paying anything to watch ads. That's the whole point of paying for it, is it not? That's why i've had a TiVo since 2001.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

otter posted:

That's why i've had a TiVo since 2001.

Don't look now, but TiVo has started implementing pre-roll ads on recordings.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I was kind of excited for a decent adaptation of Brave New World but holy crap the trailer makes it look worse than Westworld.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Hm, I can't figure out how to log in with my parents' Xfinity information. I tried making an account and then linking it to my parents' Xfinity account, but it told me that Xfinity account was already linked to a Peacock subscription. Since there's exactly zero chance my parents have signed up for Peacock, I thought maybe I just needed to sign into Peacock directly with their Xfinity credentials. Still no go.

Perhaps I will not be watching anything on Peacock.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

bull3964 posted:

Perhaps they should have waited to launch until they actually had streaming rights back to their universal catalog?

Yeah this. There's a TON of content they had to have purchased Netflix style.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

bull3964 posted:

Don't look now, but TiVo has started implementing pre-roll ads on recordings.

Weird. I haven't seen that. I wonder if it's on the "streaming" items that come up in the season passes.
The TV industry is a bunch of greasy whores and until they start to deliver what people want, they will continue to go outside the "allowed" channels to obtain content.
Don't even get me started on sports blackout rules. The only reason I even pay for MLB.tv is that we have a thread in which we split it 5 ways. If my team (or any team for that matter) was local it would be a no-go.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

otter posted:

The TV industry is a bunch of greasy whores and until they start to deliver what people want, they will continue to go outside the "allowed" channels to obtain content.

This statement is incorrect, sex workers give the customer what they want, even the greasy one.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

otter posted:

Weird. I haven't seen that. I wonder if it's on the "streaming" items that come up in the season passes.
Don't even get me started on sports blackout rules. The only reason I even pay for MLB.tv is that we have a thread in which we split it 5 ways. If my team (or any team for that matter) was local it would be a no-go.

It's if you have the Hydra interface. Tivo isn't content to collect their yearly fee, they are putting paid ads before the stuff you DVR'd to avoid ads. You can skip them, but I cancelled my TiVo service out of principle.

I don''t DVR stuff anymore anyways because FiOS TV video quality is bottom barrel trash. I'm basically using my Bolt as a glorified cablecard tuner. Oddly enough, I'm still getting guide data a year later after cancelling, I just can't record anything.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Iron Crowned posted:

Isn't this Roku's fault, because they want to treat it like a service and take a cut of the subscription fees like when people sign up with billing through Roku

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sports blackout back home is even worse, you can't broadcast the Premier League in the UK between 2:45 and 5:15pm on a Saturday. i.e. when a ton of games are played. And to get PL coverage in the first place properly you have to pay through the rear end for premium sports channels. It's pretty hilarious how I get better coverage in the US on basic cable than my friends do.

e:

quote:

Foreign matches shown in the United Kingdom are also affected by the blackout; Eleven Sports do not broadcast the first 15 minutes of Italian Serie A matches which kick off at 5pm UK time.

Ha! I didn't know about that. At least Eleven Sports show real sport there I guess, rather than that absolutely pointless virtual football thing they do here that zero people care about.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Found suppose.tv the other day, pretty good way to see what service has what channels you want at the lowest price.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

bull3964 posted:

It's if you have the Hydra interface.

Oh. Yeah f that noise. I refuse to let them put that on my device.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Peacock had a channel yesterday streaming Greatest American Hero for a few hours at least.

Sold. :D

Seriously though, I don't think I've ever seen it on a non ShoutTV platform. :dance:

And for those of you who do want the three months free from Google, make sure you sign up on an Android or AndroidTV device. I did it originally on my laptop but didn't get a code. I deleted the app. I then downloaded it again, tried again with another email directly on the Shield and I got the code for 90 free days today (it was in spam but it still was there).

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

well, we're doing it. Comcast internet but cable TV is gonna be cut. Currently have Prime, Hulu, and Netflix.

Are any of the built-in "free" apps on the Roku actually good? Or are they all filled with ads and upsells?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

pmchem posted:

well, we're doing it. Comcast internet but cable TV is gonna be cut. Currently have Prime, Hulu, and Netflix.

Are any of the built-in "free" apps on the Roku actually good? Or are they all filled with ads and upsells?

Pluto is actually decent, it's got ads but the selection is by far the best for free.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

pmchem posted:

Pluto and YouTube are required. Roku Channel rotates decent big-name movies in and out every month, so that's worth checking out.

NewsON has local news (live and on-demand) for many markets.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Photex posted:

Pluto is actually decent, it's got ads but the selection is by far the best for free.

Pluto and Tubi are great. Pluto just added a Star Trek channel.

Tubi has a great collection of b-movies, drive-in movies, grind house, exploitation, direct to video 80's trash, sleaze, etc, all the good poo poo.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Jose Oquendo posted:

Tubi has a great collection of b-movies, drive-in movies, grind house, exploitation, direct to video 80's trash, sleaze, etc, all the good poo poo.

I think the weirdest "scraping the barrel" thing I found was Roku Channel having every episode of Joan Rivers' daytime talk show from circa-1992. Really good guests - she did an entire episode with Richard Pryor. Might have been his last interview before the MS robbed him of speech.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I just got a 3.5 minute unskippable ad on a premium PeacockTV account before a movie, this poo poo is trash.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

OSI 74 is the best Roku Channel

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Photex posted:

I just got a 3.5 minute unskippable ad on a premium PeacockTV account before a movie, this poo poo is trash.

lol what was the ad for?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

jabro posted:

lol what was the ad for?

PeacockTV

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Traditional ads, it was a progressive auto ad and something else then a peacock ad

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Not sure where to ask this but it is part of trying to get my parents off their cable. Things like Netflix and Hulu have profiles so different people in the same house can have their own watchlists and such. Amazon Prime video does not seem to have this as far as I can tell that will work on a Roku TV. The only thing I can find is the Amazon Household, which has a limit of 2 adults which look to share the whole account including payment methods.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Amazon introduced profiles a week ago or so. They popped up on my Roku player so not sure if the Roku TVs are the same

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

CampingCarl posted:

Not sure where to ask this but it is part of trying to get my parents off their cable. Things like Netflix and Hulu have profiles so different people in the same house can have their own watchlists and such. Amazon Prime video does not seem to have this as far as I can tell that will work on a Roku TV. The only thing I can find is the Amazon Household, which has a limit of 2 adults which look to share the whole account including payment methods.

They just introduced profiles the other day. I have prime video on my Roku TV and it supports it.
https://www.theverge.com/2020/7/7/21315370/amazon-prime-video-user-profiles-kids-household-wallet-sharing

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I wish there was a website that kept an up-to-date database of the streaming quality of all the different streaming options out there. For example, I just started watching Doom Patrol on HBO Max. I liked it enough that I signed up for a month of DC Universe so I could watch it in HDR. However, despite being in HDR, the stream seems much lower quality on DC Universe. I don't know if it's a bitrate thing, or if DCU is streaming HD while HBOMax is streaming 4k, or what, but I definitely see a noticeable dip in video quality on DCU.

I guess what I'd really like is for some kind of "stream metadata viewer" that could tell me, among other things, the bitrate and resolution of the video I'm currently streaming to be built directly into tvOS on the AppleTV, but I won't hold my breath for that.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DCU is actually streaming 4k while HBO Max is only HD. However, I've found HBO Max to be very high quality. They upped the bitrate significantly when they switched over from HBO Now. I'm not the only one that noticed either.

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1590578825

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

OldSenileGuy posted:

I wish there was a website that kept an up-to-date database of the streaming quality of all the different streaming options out there. For example, I just started watching Doom Patrol on HBO Max. I liked it enough that I signed up for a month of DC Universe so I could watch it in HDR. However, despite being in HDR, the stream seems much lower quality on DC Universe. I don't know if it's a bitrate thing, or if DCU is streaming HD while HBOMax is streaming 4k, or what, but I definitely see a noticeable dip in video quality on DCU.

I guess what I'd really like is for some kind of "stream metadata viewer" that could tell me, among other things, the bitrate and resolution of the video I'm currently streaming to be built directly into tvOS on the AppleTV, but I won't hold my breath for that.

I agree about your last point and it feels like someone needs to hold these peoples feet to the fire with this stuff. I know exactly what you mean and it’s incredibly frustrating especially for stuff we are paying a premium for.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

bull3964 posted:

DCU is actually streaming 4k while HBO Max is only HD. However, I've found HBO Max to be very high quality. They upped the bitrate significantly when they switched over from HBO Now. I'm not the only one that noticed either.

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1590578825

I saw online that DCU was 4K, but on the splash page for Doom Patrol it just says "HD 5.1". I looked around to see if maybe DCU does the same batshit stupid thing that Amazon does where they have separate listings for the HD and UHD versions of the show, but I didn't find any so I assume it's just a labeling error.

But this brings me back to my initial complaint of not having an easy way to view stream metadata info on ATV. From following your link I found out that there actually is a way to view the information, but it's buried deep in the settings and not something I can easily toggle on and off while viewing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Burden posted:

They just introduced profiles the other day. I have prime video on my Roku TV and it supports it.
https://www.theverge.com/2020/7/7/21315370/amazon-prime-video-user-profiles-kids-household-wallet-sharing
I did see that and tried it before asking. Made sure it was updated, logged out and in, I don't see anywhere to change the profile and that article doesn't list support for Roku. In the browser when logged in as the Primary account I can switch to second profile I made but it looks like it still shares payment info. Maybe an update just hasn't been rolled out to me yet?

Depending on if that eventually gets fixed, a possible workaround I see is making additional Amazon Household accounts as teens. Does anyone happen to know if there would be problems with that?