Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Cowman posted:

Is the problematic scene the conversation with Professor R in the bar? I just got through that scene and it's really not as bad as people made it out to be and it's definitely just a case of swery not understanding rather than being malicious. I thought it was actually pretty well done to be honest :shrug:

Spoiler for the scene:

York namedrops Professor R as Leonard Clarkson, the missing son of the Clarkson family. The way it's done is more of an "I solved it" type of thing rather than "gently caress transpeople." It caught me by surprise and really seemed appropriate for the moment. It could have been handled better sure but it's definitely not the worst handling of past identities that it could have been.

I say this as a white cishet dude who's not the most well-informed.

There's also Jimquisition's buddy's complaint where having a villainous trans character in DP2 means that Swery was trying to "both sides" the issue after having a heroic trans character in The Missing, which is just absolutely baby brained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Sleeveless posted:

There's also Jimquisition's buddy's complaint where having a villainous trans character in DP2 means that Swery was trying to "both sides" the issue after having a heroic trans character in The Missing, which is just absolutely baby brained.

York says it himself that everyone can be bad regardless if they're an oppressed minority.

Is there a list out there of where to find the collectibles for side missions? It's annoying how vague a lot of these "Find X for Y" missions are in their clues. I'm mainly looking for the magical super beads though I got one for fixing the shower so I'm betting it's side quest rewards rather than just finding them scattered about. I know there's one for the photos which is helpful.

It would be great if the game would give you a hint as to the reward for side missions. I don't like bowling so I'm not going to do the side mission but I wonder if I'm missing out on anything valuable. Same with the boat minigame to a lesser extent.

Edit: Speaking of rewards: If you order at least one of everything at Alexus's you get a new suit! Make sure it's Monday and you've eaten the red beans and rice and also order the jambalaya you get after collecting ingredients.

Cowman fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 17, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sleeveless posted:

progressivism is saying trans characters should only have one role in stories ever

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
Still pretty early on here (feeding the LORD’s hunger atm), but wanted to say how well-done Chuck Thompson’s intro was. The insistent silence at first, that brief sensitivity about his height before he realizes York’s here to bring justice for Lise, all the emotions he has towards the Clarksons as a poor but spat-on beneficiary of their power. Very layered and well-performed for someone who could’ve easily been a cardboard hick.

Could any southern US posters comment on his accent btw? I have no idea if it’s genuine or not.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Having seen the scenes in question I've reached my conclusion on it: It's not great but it's not great in a way more minor way than all of the talk I heard leading up to it was. It's not like it's the climax of Ace Ventura played out on your Switch screen. It's just the kind of thing you maybe sigh a little bit and want to mash buttons past. If SWERY wants to touch it up a bit then that's great, but it's not a game ruiner as-is.

Just...maybe also touch up every bit of programming in the game as well please.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Does anyone know the conditions to learn the final skateboard trick? York says we need to become a villain but I've been ramming this skateboard into pedestrians and parked cars all day now and shes still not saying anything different

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You just need to do the last trick she taught you a bunch, if you look at the stamps the number for the final trick related one should be how many times.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
oh, drat. well that was a misleading clue

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
As promised earlier, a little on how Deadly Premonition 2 uses season one of True Detective in the same way that the original game used Twin Peaks. I'm spoiler tagging the whole thing so nobody can bitch about me spoiling anything from the game or show, it's a great season of television and if you haven't seen it in the past six years but still plan on doing it someday then scroll past.

Both are set in Louisiana and are about an aged and retired detective/agent being interviewed on camera by a pair of younger cops that are investigating a past high-profile murder after new evidence comes to light making them suspicious that he might have been involved in the original murders. The main story is then told in flashbacks punctuated by the frame narrative of the modern-day interview, with the ending being entirely in the present day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N2xPge1n6ghttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xyu_MdKBXic

Both have opening titles with the motif of characters from the game being overlaid with stock footage of Louisiana and crime imagery with a dash of surreality, all set to country/folk music. Though the last 30 seconds of DP2's intro seem to draw a lot from the opening of David Fincher's The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo as well.

Lise Clarkson's murder site seems like a cross between the Dora Lange murder scene and a later victim that was also found displayed under a bridge. The hanging wooden totems in particular are lifted straight from TD:
:nws:corpse full frontal alert:nws:

Additionally, both have the main character having visions near the scene of the crime that point them in the direction they need to go in their investigation.

Both are about a large and powerful family secretly dealing with running a dark criminal enterprise, although in True Detective it's proto-pizzagate satanic ritual abuse child abduction.

The killer in both is a large developmentally-disabled man in coveralls with a lifelong connection to the central family who does menial work in connection with the scene of the crime but is initially overlooked in the investigation and also has a penchant for erecting shrines to his victims that he worships with religious fervor and devotion.

Both end with the protagonist who up until this point was deeply misanthropic and nihilistic rediscovering a bit of humanity they thought they had lost in the aftermath of almost dying in the final fight with the killer and ending on a hopeful note both for themselves and humanity as a whole.

Also while True Detective doesn't have actual supernatural elements in the way that True Detective or Twin Peaks does, it is both heavily inspired by and references Lovecraft and other cosmic horror like The King In Yellow and the main character's hallucinations are similarly tinged as such

Also there's a tutorial popup that quotes the line "time is a flat circle" which True Detective uses a lot, I didn't screencap it in time though.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

How do I get the drinks over the weekend? Xavier is just playing jazz.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Go back later on and they'll have stopped playing and you can talk to him. On Sunday you have to get him at his home just after 10pm.

E: Also you can go late on on Friday, get the drink, wait for the clock to roll over 12am and get Saturday's drink. This does not work for Sunday though because gently caress you.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 18, 2020

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Sleeveless posted:

As promised earlier, a little on how Deadly Premonition 2 uses season one of True Detective in the same way that the original game used Twin Peaks. I'm spoiler tagging the whole thing so nobody can bitch about me spoiling anything from the game or show, it's a great season of television and if you haven't seen it in the past six years but still plan on doing it someday then scroll past.

Both are set in Louisiana and are about an aged and retired detective/agent being interviewed on camera by a pair of younger cops that are investigating a past high-profile murder after new evidence comes to light making them suspicious that he might have been involved in the original murders. The main story is then told in flashbacks punctuated by the frame narrative of the modern-day interview, with the ending being entirely in the present day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N2xPge1n6ghttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xyu_MdKBXic

Both have opening titles with the motif of characters from the game being overlaid with stock footage of Louisiana and crime imagery with a dash of surreality, all set to country/folk music. Though the last 30 seconds of DP2's intro seem to draw a lot from the opening of David Fincher's The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo as well.

Lise Clarkson's murder site seems like a cross between the Dora Lange murder scene and a later victim that was also found displayed under a bridge. The hanging wooden totems in particular are lifted straight from TD:
:nws:corpse full frontal alert:nws:

Additionally, both have the main character having visions near the scene of the crime that point them in the direction they need to go in their investigation.

Both are about a large and powerful family secretly dealing with running a dark criminal enterprise, although in True Detective it's proto-pizzagate satanic ritual abuse child abduction.

The killer in both is a large developmentally-disabled man in coveralls with a lifelong connection to the central family who does menial work in connection with the scene of the crime but is initially overlooked in the investigation and also has a penchant for erecting shrines to his victims that he worships with religious fervor and devotion.

Both end with the protagonist who up until this point was deeply misanthropic and nihilistic rediscovering a bit of humanity they thought they had lost in the aftermath of almost dying in the final fight with the killer and ending on a hopeful note both for themselves and humanity as a whole.

Also while True Detective doesn't have actual supernatural elements in the way that True Detective or Twin Peaks does, it is both heavily inspired by and references Lovecraft and other cosmic horror like The King In Yellow and the main character's hallucinations are similarly tinged as such

Also there's a tutorial popup that quotes the line "time is a flat circle" which True Detective uses a lot, I didn't screencap it in time though.

This is a good rundown, I hadn't even noticed the hanging talismans in DP 2, also I thought references to the Red Lord sort of echoed the King In Yellow from TD. I disagree that the killer in TD was similarly disabled like Avery, he actually seemed very intelligent aside from the whole murdering sicko thing

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I'm still in chapter one trying to do as many side quests as I can and aside from one spoiling a plot point for me, I think I might have missed one: I know Galena has a side quest but I'm at the point where she's gone missing, before I've visited the crime scene below the bridge. Have I hosed myself out of her side quest entirely? This game not showing who does and does not have side quests like the first game did is a frustrating issue.

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

True heroes always show up late.
Is there a list of the suits you can obtain anywhere yet?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Is there some hint I missed about where the anaconda skins are, or some other way to get them? They're near the church but not THAT close, and the clue "park" in the quest description is too vague because there are lots of areas that pass for parks. I had to look it up.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

snoremac posted:

Is there some hint I missed about where the anaconda skins are, or some other way to get them? They're near the church but not THAT close, and the clue "park" in the quest description is too vague because there are lots of areas that pass for parks. I had to look it up.

There's a park right next to the church that has them. This threw me off too but at least you're past the worst of THE LORD'S main quests.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Frostmourne THE LORD HUNGERS

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Also the way this game handles payments and fines is kind of awful. I realized there were various stamps for getting the breach of contract/excessive force penalties like one hundred times each and what follows is basically an hour of just waiting for that poo poo to slowly cash in and it takes so long I just restarted my game rather doom myself to an infinite unpayable cycle because the panalties are also an absurd one hundred dollars each. The side content in this game is not as hot as the first game's imo.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Just beat the game, final thoughts: Story is great, characters for the most part are fun, and gameplay is a step down in a lot of ways. Here's some random thoughts:

It's nice seeing Zack get a happy ending after presumably spending the years after the Greenvale case being miserable and dying, not sure how I feel about the implication that Zack and Patricia are going to hook up later on.

I still have no clue what Helena's (and by extension Kaysen's) plan was, and how a morbidly obese woman permanently high on drugs and a goofy wannabe-film director turned sheriff were going to become the "Kings of the South"

York saying "goodbye" feels really weird when the two can just IM each other now

Simon and Aaliyah's dynamic was great, just wish they had done a little more in the plot. I guess they're saving Aaliyah awakening to the Otherworld for a potential Deadly Premonition 3?

Houngan is cool, but I have no clue what his deal is and that's probably ok

Gameplay-wise it's a mess. So many pointless fetch quests with no hints where to go, wayyyyy too many "do x 100 times" achievements, so many bugs, and the game straight up lies to you when some businesses are open or closed. I hate having to scour the game world for random objects to craft it into poo poo, idk why they just wouldn't let you buy them or give them as side quest rewards like in the first game.

Did anyone find out that the knife is used for? I got it as a reward from Xavier's sidequest and it says it can be used to open things, but I have no idea what, and I tried to do as much side content as I could, aside from the Pastor's sidequest because I never got poisoned the whole game.

CharlestonJew fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jul 20, 2020

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Cowman posted:

There's a park right next to the church that has them. This threw me off too but at least you're past the worst of THE LORD'S main quests.
I know (after looking it up), but how you'd be clued off to check there is beyond me. But yeah I'm just glad it's over as well as the stupid shower quest so I could get rid of those dang flies.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CharlestonJew posted:

Did anyone find out that the knife is used for? I got it as a reward from Xavier's sidequest and it says it can be used to open things, but I have no idea what, and I tried to do as much side content as I could, aside from the Pastor's sidequest because I never got poisoned the whole game.

I looked it up, apparently it's this:

quote:

You can open Rusted Dumpsters & Rusted Mailboxes. This gives you a Knife bonus of $100 every time (and after doing it 10 times earns you a Stamp, and there are like 1-2 more stamps related to it).

It's not used for anything quest or secret related.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

snoremac posted:

I know (after looking it up), but how you'd be clued off to check there is beyond me. But yeah I'm just glad it's over as well as the stupid shower quest so I could get rid of those dang flies.

you can also just chew a bunch of gum to make the flies go away

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

You can also change suits and clean the suits you’re wearing with consumable items the hotel sells for it

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

CharlestonJew posted:

I still have no clue what Helena's (and by extension Kaysen's) plan was, and how a morbidly obese woman permanently high on drugs and a goofy wannabe-film director turned sheriff were going to become the "Kings of the South"

Given that the first game showed that red seeds have to be grown inside a person to become a full red tree I assumed that Candy was being used as some sort of incubator for red trees and the constant exposure to Saint Rouge and her growth were side effects of that. Presumably if she hadn't been burned and drowned then she would have been used to bring forth a bunch of new trees to allow Kaysen to infect more of the country and create more points of crossover from the otherworld.

Especially since exploring Zach's apartment finds a dead rat with a plant growing out of its stomach that reflects his own experiments in trying to understand the red trees. When a rat eats a red seed it dies and a small plant grows from it but it never grows beyond a sprout, but a human has enough life force sustain an actual tree.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Sleeveless posted:

Given that the first game showed that red seeds have to be grown inside a person to become a full red tree I assumed that Candy was being used as some sort of incubator for red trees and the constant exposure to Saint Rouge and her growth were side effects of that. Presumably if she hadn't been burned and drowned then she would have been used to bring forth a bunch of new trees to allow Kaysen to infect more of the country and create more points of crossover from the otherworld.

Especially since exploring Zach's apartment finds a dead rat with a plant growing out of its stomach that reflects his own experiments in trying to understand the red trees. When a rat eats a red seed it dies and a small plant grows from it but it never grows beyond a sprout, but a human has enough life force sustain an actual tree.

that makes a lot of sense, I guess I was thinking too literally when Kaysen said he wanted to use them to create a "Red Kingdom" in the South

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

The game has frozen on me twice, specifically both when Houngan has laughed prior to a cutscene.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

snoremac posted:

The game has frozen on me twice, specifically both when Houngan has laughed prior to a cutscene.

I thought my game did this, but it turns out it didn't. It just decided to take more than five minutes to load the next cutscene.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah the extremely long black screen after you bowl a strike is completely normal and somehow it is not frozen when this happens. It's especially weird as hell because the cutscene it is loading has nothing that would warrant a five-minute long black screen.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm starting to feel like a lucked out with only the minor annoying bugs I got lol

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I personally think that Houngan is actually some kind of evil spirit that inhabits every cartridge of Deadly Premonition 2 and he actually isn't originally part of the game, like that horror story about the house with the creepy clown statue

edit: Like if you try to ask SWERY about Houngan and the load times he'll be like "who?" and when you load up the game he won't be there anymore

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jul 20, 2020

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

CJacobs posted:

I personally think that Houngan is actually some kind of evil spirit that inhabits every cartridge of Deadly Premonition 2 and he actually isn't originally part of the game, like that horror story about the house with the creepy clown statue

edit: Like if you try to ask SWERY about Houngan and the load times he'll be like "who?" and when you load up the game he won't be there anymore
You could say it's hyperrealistic.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Nuebot posted:

I thought my game did this, but it turns out it didn't. It just decided to take more than five minutes to load the next cutscene.

anecdotal but going to the home screen and right back to the game fixed this both times it happened for me

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Cowman posted:

Is there a list out there of where to find the collectibles for side missions? It's annoying how vague a lot of these "Find X for Y" missions are in their clues. I'm mainly looking for the magical super beads though I got one for fixing the shower so I'm betting it's side quest rewards rather than just finding them scattered about. I know there's one for the photos which is helpful.

It would be great if the game would give you a hint as to the reward for side missions. I don't like bowling so I'm not going to do the side mission but I wonder if I'm missing out on anything valuable. Same with the boat minigame to a lesser extent.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DeadlyPremonition/comments/ht4v7l/deadly_premonition_2_side_quests_guide/

Yeah, reddit link, I know, but it's the most concise sidequest guide I've seen and you can actually find out quickly where those pickup quest items are without having to sit through some jerkoff's 20 minute video.

It also had the side effect of me deciding that like 90% of the sidequests weren't worth the bother

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

StarkRavingMad posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DeadlyPremonition/comments/ht4v7l/deadly_premonition_2_side_quests_guide/

Yeah, reddit link, I know, but it's the most concise sidequest guide I've seen and you can actually find out quickly where those pickup quest items are without having to sit through some jerkoff's 20 minute video.

It also had the side effect of me deciding that like 90% of the sidequests weren't worth the bother

Yeah I think I'm just going to use this to hunt out the rewards that look good and not do most of them because poo poo like this shower side quest just kind of suck, and without any real indicator and stuff it's a pain.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tried the new patch and it crashed during loading which never happened to me before

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I beat this game on Sunday and here's my spoiler free thoughts on it:

The story is fantastic and better than the first one. It's really full of twists and turns and is generally really well done. In my opinion it's worth the troubles of the game to work through it and experience it.

There's way too many pointless fetch quests. This is mostly confined to the side quests but a good amount of the main quests were "Go to place, can't do thing so go get thing to be able to go back and actually go to place." Most of these were early on which led to a bad first impression. As the story goes on this stops occurring.

The side quests are way too vague. The shower quest is particularly nasty because you need to know the times to talk to David and nothing indicates where or when you need to talk to him. There's also the LORD'S fetch quests which don't explain much of anything and leave you wandering unless you go online for help. More instruction would be helpful and greatly improve the game in general.

The bugginess and frame rate go without saying. I didn't encounter too many glitches that weren't entertaining (lots of cars driving themselves and people floating) but from reading this thread it's pretty obvious that I got lucky. The framerate I got used to so it ended up not bothering me too much.

The otherworld sucks almost as badly as the first one. The only reason it's not as bad is because combat is way better.

Really it's a new Deadly Premonition. There's a ton of issues with it but at the core it has a great story, great voice acting and loads of fun and quirky things that you can't get anywhere else. I ended up skipping most of the side quests and from looking at the side quest guide posted earlier I didn't miss too much aside from character exposition. If this comes out on PC later on down the line I'll definitely pick it up and play through it again hopefully with mods.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah unlike DP1 nothing in the sidequests is really worth going through the trouble.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah unlike DP1 nothing in the sidequests is really worth going through the trouble.

I like how some of the worst sidequest chains (Melvin's, the LORD) give you the bead reward for the mirror quest halfway through and the rest of the rewards are basically nothing. It's a real Yoko Taro style "gently caress you" if you're a completionist

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jul 21, 2020

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
At least in DP the side quests usually meant fun character interactions and having York's relationship with them develop, like Lysander's war stories or the convenience store owner's ghost stories or Emily learning how to cook. None of the side quests in 2 really add anything to the characters or give you fun vignettes like that, they just deliver their catchphrase and then give you some trash. Looking back I can't even remember any side quests that gave as much as even the simple fetch quest at the beginning of DP1 where you find Polly Oxford's old photograph and learn about her and Sigourney being beauty queens.

I appreciate that we don't have to grind through side quests to get basic functionality like fast travel or a melee attack that doesn't break but it would have been nice to get something like character trading cards or behind-the-scenes photos of the dev team like in the first game. Even some concept art like The Missing would have been something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I only just started but the intro is already a god drat experience. Why didn't they bother animating York smoking? He's just sitting there stationary and they dubbed in "takes a drag from his smoke" noises occasionally.

Swery :psyduck: