Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
And jabber?

It was always very impressive how solo managed to rig together so many authentication programs and sites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

lite_sleepr posted:

And jabber?

It was always very impressive how solo managed to rig together so many authentication programs and sites.

If by "jabber and mumble" you mean "not discord," it's because discord is third party. You can't control the servers, and the counterintel aspect of eve simply can't be done there. Also, it's relatively simple for a poorly-socialized, undershowered individual to get a discord server shut down by flagrantly abusing the ToS, then reporting the server.

Don't expect GSF to move to discord ever.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

If by "jabber and mumble" you mean "not discord," it's because discord is third party. You can't control the servers, and the counterintel aspect of eve simply can't be done there. Also, it's relatively simple for a poorly-socialized, undershowered individual to get a discord server shut down by flagrantly abusing the ToS, then reporting the server.

I recall that TEST moved to Discord a couple years ago and I wonder how that's going for them. One of my coworkers used to be their logistics director and I think he's still in their Discord regularly.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Lmao, of course spying on you is it’s only redeeming quality. :bravo:

While not impossible, I am skeptical on it being that easy to shut a community down considering how many of these exist out there that would already having nerds trying to shut it down. Test using it for one should be all the proof needed.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Jabber and mumble work just fine, why move to another platform?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Sickening posted:

While not impossible, I am skeptical on it being that easy to shut a community down considering how many of these exist out there that would already having nerds trying to shut it down. Test using it for one should be all the proof needed.

Yeah, I'll admit that it's pretty far fetched. You'd have to post stuff so flagrantly awful that just possessing the materials to post in the first place is in and of itself a crime. While essentially no well-adjusted people play Eve, the level of depravity to pull that kind of stunt is (mercifully) rare even among Eve players.

Still, it's a possibility. The counterintel stuff is the primary reason, I'd assume.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

PathAsc posted:

Jabber and mumble require dedicated, otherwise-unused applications to access, and neither work well on phones. drat near everyone else, especially zoomers, uses Discord. The desire to consolidate is real.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

PathAsc posted:

Why use a single, flexible, modern application when you can use separate, ancient software?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Last night I guess I got blackout drunk and was posting about my cat in the intel channel then forgot to go afk in a fleet mumble and people thought I was a spy. Sorry guys

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Sickening posted:

Why use a single, flexible, modern application when you can use separate, ancient software?

Hey, when they release an open source server backend so you can host your own discord server, I'm sure GSF will be first in line. 'Til then, looks like it's Jabber and Mumble. Third party hosting only is a hard blocker for us.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
yes please use discord so people can take advantage of vulnerabilities to do such cool things as “override server permissions and client volume to blast a channel full of people with max volume noise”

discord is probably one of the best services out there for gaming, but it is not appropriate for mass EVE comms - the simple fact that you can’t even do cross channel comms/no chatter comms would be enough of a reason.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Discord sucks rear end for voice chats over 6

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.

causticBeet posted:

no chatter comms

it could have nothing else, that is a feature worth keeping mumble for.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Got to love randos coming in and bein all "hey, just ignore your decade+ institutional knowledge of managing thousands of nerds at once. I, random shitposter, know way more"

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

CainFortea posted:

Got to love randos coming in and bein all "hey, just ignore your decade+ institutional knowledge of managing thousands of nerds at once. I, random shitposter, know way more"

It is very important that I consolidate my chat applications, so that I can get pinged for internet spaceships on the same program that houses my Roblox streamer fanboy chat room. It's because Discord is an electron.js nightmare, and my computer can't run anything else.

(Not that pidgin is any better)

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Idk how all the xmpp clients suck rear end when the protocol is so good

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Sickening posted:

I should have been clearer: discord isn't good enough to move to from what's being used currently.

Tsed
Jan 30, 2008

aaaaag drugs

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Idk how all the xmpp clients suck rear end when the protocol is so good

in all of these years, I still haven't found anything better than bitlbee and an irc client, which should be a low bar, and yet

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

It is very important that I consolidate my chat applications, so that I can get pinged for internet spaceships on the same program that houses my Roblox streamer fanboy chat room. It's because Discord is an electron.js nightmare, and my computer can't run anything else.

(Not that pidgin is any better)

Especially with all those emotes in your emote pack :colbert:

CPU with Animated emotes: :supaburn:

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

CainFortea posted:

I know we don’t always see eye-to-eye, but I want to give you sincere advice: Sickening ruins every thread he is in with that aggressive turbo-GBS posting and it’s best to just never engage

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

This does not surprise me.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Anywho we got another ~4b in kills thru various null sec static diving including a VERY sketchy fight where we interrupted a TCU being toasted so join hole squad

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Sickening posted:

In order:

1. Infosec
2. Counterintel
3. The absolute loving nightmare that is Discord permissions hierarchy
4. 6 to 10 THOUSAND nerds in one voice channel on a platform designed mostly for small groups in each voice channel
5. No voice chat interlinking so FCs can privately confer, then shout at the nerds in their fleet without crosstalk.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

gwrtheyrn posted:

Especially with all those emotes in your emote pack :colbert:

CPU with Animated emotes: :supaburn:

This is hilariuosly true. I tried to open the emote pack once, computer froze for a good 2 minutes.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jul 20, 2020

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
Karmafleet has a discord, and its used mostly for just chatting and being social. Having the biggest corp sit on a different service to jabber though is probably why jabber is so dead these days. Like I get it but also wtf were you thinking splitting people up between different services like that. Either have everyone on discord for social stuff or don't have a discord.

Also with no roles I can just do this and see the entire server, and even the motds, and I'm not using an exploit or anything like that, just a different client. Discord is notoriously insecure.

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010
The Jabber phone clients suck rear end, and lasted like 15 minutes before I binned them.

It'd be pretty nice to have an EVE shitposting Discord.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Whole squid has a poo poo posting discord but there's only like 3 people in it who play eve anymore. It's mostly an other games group because eve sucks pretty bad.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Snail Information posted:

Karmafleet has a discord, and its used mostly for just chatting and being social. Having the biggest corp sit on a different service to jabber though is probably why jabber is so dead these days. Like I get it but also wtf were you thinking splitting people up between different services like that. Either have everyone on discord for social stuff or don't have a discord.

Also with no roles I can just do this and see the entire server, and even the motds, and I'm not using an exploit or anything like that, just a different client. Discord is notoriously insecure.

I don't think goonwaffe has any input on what the gently caress karmafleet does with comms, though yes discord is hilariously insecure and hard to protect from someone who wants to get information.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Imagine using a laggy webpage in a poorly compiled app instead of secure software that is still unbeaten by anyone in security and usability

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

Not that my opinion is important, but Discord is great for corps and poo poo for alliance level stuff.

The former is more social focused shitposting, the latter needs to be run and managed properly. That said, I would love something a bit more modern than what XMPP + Pidgin can offer.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
I guess my main gripe is that right now we're split. Lots of corps have their own discards, karmafleet has a big one with special vips and we get the goonfleet jabber channel, or elysium.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

I guess my main gripe is that right now we're split. Lots of corps have their own discards, karmafleet has a big one with special vips and we get the goonfleet jabber channel, or elysium.

There are many goon discords to chat at your fellow goons.

RYYSZLA
May 11, 2013
@ all the people saying XMPP/Pidgin sucks and is ancient

[ principal skinner "no, it's the kids who are wrong" dot jpeg goes here ]

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ain't happenin', so keep on bitchin', I guess. If you don't like that your snowflake corp requires discord, get them to move back to Jabber. :ms:

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

Rutibex posted:

There are many goon discords to chat at your fellow goons.

ya but I feel embarrassed to bring up eve in other goon circles

RYYSZLA
May 11, 2013

ya but I feel embarrassed to bring up eve in other goon circles

P. sure there's a "no eve" rule on the TV IV discord

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Imagine using a laggy webpage in a poorly compiled app instead of secure software that is still unbeaten by anyone in security and usability

Imagine thinking people can't put a spy in 'the Imperium' whenever the gently caress they want :lol:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

lol

"Pidgin sucks"
"Why"
"Because"
"That's not a reason"
"ok boomer"

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Xolve posted:

Imagine thinking people can't put a spy in 'the Imperium' whenever the gently caress they want :lol:

Imagine thinking security is only about being spied in a videogaem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Xolve posted:

Hey, at least jabber spies have to, like, change their IP and poo poo. Discord means that if your spy gets got, you just shrug, mailinator another discord account, and get back within an hour.