Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

chaosapiant posted:

Ok cool; I’m not even interested in multi, but can switch back to K&B easily enough if I were. Thanks!

I’ve got an xbox controller at hand and so far it seems to switch between them easily. As in if youre playing K&B, tapping A or something on the controller will immediately switch all the key prompts to controller prompts and vice versa. In game or in menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

The only thing I find annoying about the controller is there seems to be no scheme that matches the original Halo/Halo 2 from the Xbox completely. The closest I can get has B as melee but still has reload bound to RB.

Unfortunately despite not having played them for nearly a decade and a half if not more, it seems I still have muscle memory of X being use/reload. So every time I want to reload my gun I instead toss a powerup to the floor.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
Playing Halo 3 on PC. I'm starting to question what I ever saw in this game back in 2008. All the gadgets and new weapons add so little to the formula and the Brutes don't seem all that fun to shoot. I remember the vehicles being fun but there's like two hours of game before you see one. That level where you're escaping the marine base took all the wind out of my sails.

Also something is off about the audio. All the guns seem really quiet and there are no subtitles for in-game dialogue.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Lord Ludikrous posted:

The only thing I find annoying about the controller is there seems to be no scheme that matches the original Halo/Halo 2 from the Xbox completely. The closest I can get has B as melee but still has reload bound to RB.

Unfortunately despite not having played them for nearly a decade and a half if not more, it seems I still have muscle memory of X being use/reload. So every time I want to reload my gun I instead toss a powerup to the floor.

Did you try the one all the way to the left? For some reason the one selected by default is neither the original from the game nor the leftmost menu choice. I'm using a wired xbox 360 controller and the only game with reload on the bumper is Halo 3, which needs it that way because they decoupled reloading of dual-wielded weapons (in Halo 2 you didn't have a choice since is was just on X, so you would have to reload both together).

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Lord Ludikrous posted:

For what it’s worth, this was the behavior on Halo 3 on the Xbox 360. I spent many an hour accidentally throwing equipment on the ground while trying to reload due to that muscle memory, they moved reload to the bumper buttons because they wanted you to be able to reload the left and right hands independently.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
Does anyone actually know why we still can't have fully rebindable controllers and make these decisions ourselves?

I see why H3 has both bumpers reloading, but I really like melee on the right bumper ala Reach. I would probably do something like right bumper- melee, X - action, reload (reload right when dual wielding), B equipment if I could.

The main reason I don't play multi with more than one game active at a time is I just can't swap controller schemes in my head every match. I really like Invasion, but I'm put off playing it right now due to the drastic control changes between Reach and Halo 3.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

I just use Universal Reclaimer for every game's control scheme and that works fine for me. X reloads, Melee's on RB, Equipment's on LB.

I kinda wanna try out Universal Bumper Jumper instead, but I feel like that one would suck for Reach since you can't sprint and aim at the same time like that.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Guess I'm not getting acrophobia lol, resets to zero every time I start the game up

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

RBA Starblade posted:

Guess I'm not getting acrophobia lol, resets to zero every time I start the game up

Go to the second level and play through until you get to the part where the drones show up for the first time. There is a turret on the left and you can kill 30 or so enemies before reloading your previous checkpoint. Just be sure to leave one alive so a checkpoint doesn't trigger, allowing you to kill maybe 80 per minute.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Bloodplay it again posted:

Go to the second level and play through until you get to the part where the drones show up for the first time. There is a turret on the left and you can kill 30 or so enemies before reloading your previous checkpoint. Just be sure to leave one alive so a checkpoint doesn't trigger, allowing you to kill maybe 80 per minute.

Alternatively start at checkpoint charlie, proceed till you kill the brutes, grab the plasma cannon, proceed a tiny bit, you will then have it where you go into a tunnel with grunts run past and drones fly by you. The drones are super tightly packed that it makes killing all ~30 of them in a few seconds super easy per reload. Took me about 5 minutes of effort.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Ah I didn't realize starting at a checkpoint was allowed but I guess it makes sense because it is a limited career objective and not an achievement. That is probably the fastest way to do it then. I was zipping through the first level with the skull enabled and it seems traveling too quickly for too long is similar to falling for a while and will eventually kill you. That, or I stubbed my toe on a rock and died from impact. Hard to say.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

I was zipping through the first level with the skull enabled and it seems traveling too quickly for too long is similar to falling for a while and will eventually kill you. That, or I stubbed my toe on a rock and died from impact. Hard to say.
Fall damage isn't limited to downwards velocity - hitting any solid surface hard enough will splatter you against it.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

As a budding fan of Halo, how’s the Halo Wars RTS games? Are any of the books worth reading?

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

chaosapiant posted:

As a budding fan of Halo, how’s the Halo Wars RTS games? Are any of the books worth reading?

Halo Wars was the first RTS I played when I was old enough to understand how to play them. I really enjoyed it and got to ~45 TS ranking. It's definitely dumbed down from a PC RTS and the control scheme obviously isn't great for the same reason (Halo Wars 1 on PC still uses the same controller based UI, not sure about 2). The story is pretty good as far as Halo games go, and the cutscenes look amazing even now.

Re: the books, I've only read the first fivd and there's like a million now, but those that I've read were pretty good. "The Flood" is a bit of a slog because it's largely a novelization of Halo 1, though the parts that aren't hold up well.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

i vomit kittens posted:

Halo Wars was the first RTS I played when I was old enough to understand how to play them. I really enjoyed it and got to ~45 TS ranking. It's definitely dumbed down from a PC RTS and the control scheme obviously isn't great for the same reason (Halo Wars 1 on PC still uses the same controller based UI, not sure about 2). The story is pretty good as far as Halo games go, and the cutscenes look amazing even now.

Re: the books, I've only read the first fivd and there's like a million now, but those that I've read were pretty good. "The Flood" is a bit of a slog because it's largely a novelization of Halo 1, though the parts that aren't hold up well.

Jesus, I had no idea the universe was that big. I’ve lived in a sort of “black hole” regarding Halo because I was 21 when it came out, never had an Xbox or really gamer friends until later, and while I played tons of FPS games from ‘93-‘99, I later moved onto RPGs starting with Baldurs Gate and didn’t get back into shooters, sans the occasional game, until Doom 2016. I’ve played the Half-life’s and poo poo like that, but otherwise never gave Halo a second thought. And now I’m hooked.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Halo Wars has a button on the controller dedicated to selecting all units and it makes a voice go ALL UNITS.

It’s really good

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Halo Wars 2 has a Grunt commander with a special ability to beg for his life so hard everyone on the map is forced into a ceasefire.

Rupert of Hentzau
Nov 23, 2005
Victim of gross furniture discourtesy.
The Halo books have the same problem as the old Star Wars EU novels, in that every character and/or Capitalised Noun that shows up in the games, no matter how minor, must have their entire life story outlined in excruciating detail, preferably in a trilogy of novels so they can shift more copies. Nothing is left alone, you're not allowed to use your imagination to fill in the gaps between the broad strokes the games paint with something much better; everything must be explained, usually with prose and plotting that's sub-fanfiction tier.

For some inexplicable reason I own a big coffee table book called The Halo Mythos which summarises all of the fiction in a broad timeline, and the events of the original Halo trilogy make up about three pages of it. The other one hundred pages are the books, all somehow squeezed out of a game series that barely has enough plot to sustain itself over the twenty-odd hours it'll take you to play through all of them. Halo also makes a mistake that Star Wars didn't, which is to fold its book canon back into the videogames. This is one of the reasons why the story in Halo 4 and Halo 5 is incomprehensibly bad: they're now built on top of twenty years of the most terrible tie-in fiction imaginable, along with having all of the usual issues inherent to Video Game Writing.

(I did enjoy the very first book, The Fall Of Reach. It was nothing special, but it worked as a basic military sci-fi novel and had some interesting ideas about the Spartan backstory. Unfortunately the series almost immediately stepped off a cliff after that, and The Fall Of Reach has mostly been retconned out of existence at this point anyway.)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The books by Eric Nylund are considered the best, but he didn't do many more of them after his first three (Fall of Reach, First Strike, Ghosts of Onyx) and nowadays there are way, way too many.

The Star Wars EU comparison is also apt because Karen Traviss and Troy Denning have both written books for each franchise.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Thanks for the skull tips, that helped get around the bug

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Halo Wars has a button on the controller dedicated to selecting all units and it makes a voice go ALL UNITS.

It’s really good

Halo Wars 2 is a failure of a video game because you can't do that anymore

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 19, 2020

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I feel like I become older every time I hear someone say Halo Wars was their first RTS.

The Kins posted:

Fall damage isn't limited to downwards velocity - hitting any solid surface hard enough will splatter you against it.
Apparently Bungie was happy with that idea so much it's a prominent feature in Destiny.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
1. The Covenant
2. The Ark
3. Silent Cartographer

y/n?

Stooge
Aug 27, 2018

My biggest problem rn is deciding whether "the storm" or "the covenant" is my favourite halo 3 level.

I hadn't played halo 3 for 10 years, but it's a good feeling replaying campaign and remembering where everything is (skulls etc). It's like putting on an old, comfy, pair of slippers.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mazerunner posted:

1. The Covenant
2. The Ark
3. Silent Cartographer

y/n?

Silent Cartographer, easy.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

Apparently Bungie was happy with that idea so much it's a prominent feature in Destiny.
I guess someone there liked Jedi Knight and its proclivity for letting you use Force Speed to roadkill yourself against any and all surfaces.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

To be fair, getting slapped by something and pinging across the map to a splatter is one of the funniest ways to die in halo. I'm glad it exists

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

The Kins posted:

In one or more Halo games, once you have been falling at max speed for a certain amount of time, it kills you, regardless of whether you went low enough to fall through a kill plane or not. The skull works in both Halo and Halo 2, as well. What I meant was: if you zip around long enough without bumping/landing on top of something, the game kills you off because you have been "falling" for too long. You occasionally need to land/bump something to change velocity or else the game thinks you fell through the map or whatever, where it will proceed to kill you and reload to the last-saved checkpoint.

There's also the chance I barely bumped something else while my velocity was too high, but I believe it was from moving too quickly for too long. Haven't had much of a chance to mess around with it yet to determine which was Master Chief's cause of death, but I did break several mission triggers and killed the Brute Chieftan before he could lock up Sarge last night. Hopefully I get some time tonight to experiment with it more.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

In one or more Halo games, once you have been falling at max speed for a certain amount of time, it kills you, regardless of whether you went low enough to fall through a kill plane or not. The skull works in both Halo and Halo 2, as well. What I meant was: if you zip around long enough without bumping/landing on top of something, the game kills you off because you have been "falling" for too long. You occasionally need to land/bump something to change velocity or else the game thinks you fell through the map or whatever, where it will proceed to kill you and reload to the last-saved checkpoint.

There's also the chance I barely bumped something else while my velocity was too high, but I believe it was from moving too quickly for too long. Haven't had much of a chance to mess around with it yet to determine which was Master Chief's cause of death, but I did break several mission triggers and killed the Brute Chieftan before he could lock up Sarge last night. Hopefully I get some time tonight to experiment with it more.

If you're dying after flying in Halo 3 you might be running into kill zones- it has less of the "auto-death after falling for x amount of time" and a lot more of the "anyone who crosses this dies" kind of stuff.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I must be using the Battle Rifle wrong because I've had multiple instances where I hit an opponent in the head/chest area multiple times only for them to turn around and kill me with two bursts. It seems like the hit detection is off too, especially when it comes to the head area.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Does this game have any kind of shotgun analogue? I’m referring to Halo 1 CE The Original Flavor.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

Does this game have any kind of shotgun analogue? I’m referring to Halo 1 CE The Original Flavor.

Halo 3’s shotgun is pretty good. It’s not the OP monster it was in H1 but it’s a step up from 2.

As for a “one weapon for any situation” type I guess that would be the BR?

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
So the acrophobia skull is Halo 3 only?

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Oxyclean posted:

I feel like I become older every time I hear someone say Halo Wars was their first RTS.

I played the first two Age of Empires with my dad when I was in elementary school, but Halo Wars was the first one where I realized things like taking more than one base, having multiple production buildings, and unit groupings were a thing. I credit it for helping me get into StarCraft 2 once I got a PC; the simplification of RTS mechanics made it a good stepping stone.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Halo 3’s shotgun is pretty good. It’s not the OP monster it was in H1 but it’s a step up from 2.

As for a “one weapon for any situation” type I guess that would be the BR?

So there is an shotgun in H1? I have yet to find one.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

chaosapiant posted:

There sure is

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

chaosapiant posted:

The flood troops have them all the time, I think I've seen at least 5-6 and haven't finished the game yet.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

the_lion posted:

The flood troops have them all the time, I think I've seen at least 5-6 and haven't finished the game yet.

Friend, he hasn't found the flood yet.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
finished Halo 1 by co-oping the last couple levels, which would have easily taken me double the time solo, whoof. either gonna co-op the rest of the games heroic or solo them on normal, I think

the sequence where you blow up the vents or whatever is hilariously anticlimactic for what seems to have been the closest this game had to a boss fight. the ending warthog bit is good but man this game may have the strongest dropoff I've ever seen in a video game campaign, and that's including Half-Life's Xen (which at least was only about the last 1/6th of the game)

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

There is but its not very good, you're better off using the Needler in all situations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Carnaticum posted:

There is but its not very good, you're better off using the Needler in all situations.

Burn this heretic.