Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I grew up in the Northeast and have ridden all their train-based public transportations. In 2014 I went to Toronto for the first time in my life and decided to ride their subway to a bar. I was standing on the platform and I noticed something... a little off. What was it?? There was no smell of piss! None whatsoever!! It was freaking me out I was like hyperventilating through my nostrils. The poor gentle Torontonians around me must have thought I was having an infarction. Long story short I had a lot of overpriced whiskey and beer that night and I never saw a rat. What the gently caress, Toronto??

On the flip side as a Torontonian the first time I visited NYC and rode the MTA I was horrified by all the piss. My prior subway experiences were confined to Toronto, Montreal, and Stockholm so yeah, hell of a shock.

For real though after that experience it's become hilarious hearing people complain about the TTC being "dirty".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Zetsubou-san posted:

I no longer remember what the actual gameplay involved.

I'm pretty sure that if you win, you get to leave Bendigo forever and go to Ballarat.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

On the flip side as a Torontonian the first time I visited NYC and rode the MTA I was horrified by all the piss. My prior subway experiences were confined to Toronto, Montreal, and Stockholm so yeah, hell of a shock.

For real though after that experience it's become hilarious hearing people complain about the TTC being "dirty".

I never understood this. Toronto is one of the cleanest cities imaginable, and the TTC is miles ahead of their closest neighbors like Montreal and especially NYC. I remember when they rolled out the new subway cars for their lines back in 2012(?) and practically blew me away at how spacious everything was. When I left in late '14 of those cars were still running that new-car glean, you could practically eat off some of those floors if you're ballsy enough.

Canadians love to bitch about Toronto in general even though their entire country's infrastructure runs through there, it's absurd.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Rozzbot
Nov 4, 2009

Pork, lamb, chicken and ham
Trying to catch the red line in Philadelphia was like walking into a piss sauna

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

and I never saw a rat. What the gently caress, Toronto??

you think ontario is impressive? Alberta is 100% rat free. They decided they didn't want rats, and got rid of them all.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I'm pretty sure that if you win, you get to leave Bendigo forever and go to Ballarat.

out of the heroin pan and into the meth fire

CarpenterWalrus
Mar 30, 2010

The Lazy Satanist

Rozzbot posted:

Same in Chicago

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Zetsubou-san posted:

edit:

I no longer remember what the actual gameplay involved.

I spent a lot of my childhood in Bendigo and would prefer not to be reminded of it so I would have appreciated a trigger warning on this post :mad:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I spent a lot of my childhood in Bendigo and would prefer not to be reminded of it so I would have appreciated a trigger warning on this post :mad:

Golden Square or Flora Hill?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Memento posted:

Golden Square or Flora Hill?

Eaglehawk, right across from the blue-green algae infested lake

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Eaglehawk, right across from the blue-green algae infested lake

Didn't realise we had royalty in this thread.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Lobok posted:

They must be part of the sole group.

I wonder if this guy is a reference to Slyde, the Teflon-Coated Man:

I own this comic book! It's ok.

That's my story.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ah poo poo, if either of you guys grew up in Bendigo there's a chance that we might be cousins, I had quite a bit of family up there

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Manhattan is hot garbage with occasional piss, as it’s always been. It’s a distinct odor.

Providence is piss, weird booze stank and occasionally “this came out of a once living creature”. I’ve seen more than three people take public dumps like it was NBD.

Boston - piss

Sydney was more just a summer stank with occasional fruity alkie breath

Stockholm is moist grandparents basement in subways and overall piss wafts depending on where you are. Nothing beats going to work and walking by a passing train and getting a nice blast of piss scented steamy air. The trains themselves aren’t too pissy but they have a stank.

London is a urinal

San Francisco was a seaside piss blend, salty?

Anyway for content

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Pick posted:

"fish" is simply not a cladistic category, it's a functional one. that's fine. sharks are fish.

You're a fish :colbert:

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

This is the least surprising board game tie in.

I can't believe I remembered the name exactly. It was very complicated, I'm not even sure if we played it the right way. It had dice, and a spinner, and draw cards. You could travel on the surface or do a sewer shortcut.

I had the European version of this (Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles: The Power Game), which appears to be slightly different with way better art:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxKflgHrPgc

I was massively into TMNT as a kid and loved it

Veib has a new favorite as of 11:29 on Jul 20, 2020

Magical Ponies
Jun 21, 2005

She was like a candle in the wind... unreliable.

I have these two games. For some reason, I can't convince people to play them with me (pre-pandemic).

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Veib posted:

I had the European version of this (Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles: The Power Game), which appears to be slightly different with way better art:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxKflgHrPgc

I was massively into TMNT as a kid and loved it

Going to have to disagree on which art is better.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

"I'm sorry, but dogs are not allowed in the cabin."
"It's not a dog, it's the Phantom."

"An evil-doer's worst horror is seeing the Phantom in the night!"
"That's right!"

"Nooo..."

"Saddle Hero, it's time to go to work."

"Finger-Chem" "Poison / Poison"

"He who sees the Phantom's face without a mask, will die a horrible death!"

[Old-timey currently illegal instrument of lighting, representing the idea of an idea]

"So that's what the guy looks like!"

"Here's the Phantom, a man who needs no introduction!"

"Allow me to show you around our research facility a bit."

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Magical Ponies posted:

I have these two games. For some reason, I can't convince people to play them with me (pre-pandemic).

K2 isn't a terrible game.

I feel there's a flip side to these terrible TV show tie in game and it's the super dry euro-style boardgames.

Ever thought about running a postal system in 18C Bavaria? You're in luck!

How about a subsistence farmer?

I've picked out Agricola here but there are literally dozens of boardgame about being a peasant farmer.

And then there's a whole subgenre of games dedicated to buying stocks and shares in Train Companies (1830 pictured here)

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Rozzbot posted:

That's because the red line is a Patco line, it funnels directly into Jersey.

(the rest of them smell like piss too)

JesusGeorge
Apr 29, 2005
TheKeeper bought me this account so now I have to rub peanut butter on his nipples on a daily basis.

Beachcomber posted:

This is the least surprising board game tie in.

I can't believe I remembered the name exactly. It was very complicated, I'm not even sure if we played it the right way. It had dice, and a spinner, and draw cards. You could travel on the surface or do a sewer shortcut.

It was actually pretty fun, believe it or not. The die-roller gimmick was clunky (you had to put the die on one end of a see-saw and hit the other end hard enough to get it into another slot on the see-saw, but not so hard you catapulted it across the room) but it was only for combat. The goal, if I remember correctly, was to win fights against three random villains from the cartoon.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

The spirit is willing, but the body is spongy and bruised!

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I thought Paris's metro smelled like poo.

On that trip I read Dune for the first time, and started of thinking of metro stations as sietches - warm communal subterranean lairs that reek of poo poo. (Yes, that's in the book).

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

I'm noice, therefore I am.
Grimey Drawer

Ah poo poo, if either of you guys grew up in Bendigo there's a chance that we might be cousins, I had quite a bit of family up there

I started seeing a girl from Bendigo before current stage 3 restrictions... I hope it's not your mums.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

dialhforhero posted:

The spirit is willing, but the body is spongy and bruised!

Too much rye whiskey.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
https://video.twimg.com/tweet_video/EdTyQikWAAUiSXZ.mp4

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

When I was a kid we had the Mr. T boardgame at our cottage. Gameplay consisted of exciting tasks like returning books to the library or picking up your friend at the airport. It was so powerfully lame.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Thermos posted:

When I was a kid we had the Mr. T boardgame at our cottage. Gameplay consisted of exciting tasks like returning books to the library or picking up your friend at the airport. It was so powerfully lame.

So lame that it's... cool?

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

Not even a little. You could even say I feel remorse for the imbecile that bought this game.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Thermos posted:

Not even a little. You could even say I feel remorse for the imbecile that bought this game.

Would you say he was a fool worthy of our pity?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beachcomber posted:

Going to have to disagree on which art is better.

They both suck rear end hth

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

i got this game at a yard sale for like 2 dollars in the late 80s. I don't remember anything about it, other than we liked it

that's my story, thanks for reading

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I had BAS-KET.

Springs under the board that you flicked with a lever on each side.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Randaconda posted:

i got this game at a yard sale for like 2 dollars in the late 80s. I don't remember anything about it, other than we liked it

I have this game

It is very good

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Randaconda posted:

i sort of remember it. i think the object of the game was to lose. you win the game by losing.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I had BAS-KET.

Springs under the board that you flicked with a lever on each side.

I always hated "games" like that as a kid. I put the scare quotes around them because they were basically just gimmicky toys that were fun for like ten minutes then you got bored. Hungry hungry hippoes type crap. Zero strategy, just slap crappy mechanical thing and try to get bigger number.

Like, you can sit down and play a few games in a row of even something as basic as connect four. You can kill an hour or two with a sibling and that glorified tic tac toe.

There was nothing worse than being at some relative's house and being told to go keep yourself busy with the game closet only to find crap like hungry hungry hippoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

dee eight posted:

i sort of remember it. i think the object of the game was to lose. you win the game by losing.

More specifically you win the game by losing all your money

Gaining money is bad

Lord help you if your name was actually Alfred E Neuman

There was a lot of great art and good jokes all over the board and silly behavior like a card making you "act like a rock" or walk around the table backwards without the card falling off your head