Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m Easter Island’s perfectly round continental shelf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Pope Hilarius II posted:

US sports are quite pathetic, since most of the popular sports are self-invented and impopular everywhere else, so that Americans can claim that they're really good at sportsing, whereas they blow rear end at sports with an actual global reach (except basketball I guess), like football, F1 or hockey

The part of this that's a factual assertion seems to be demonstrably incorrect? The US is one of the main hockey countries in the world, and has the third highest ranking in terms of Olympic medals. And in terms of soccer, admittedly the MNT is usually mediocre-to-bad, but the women's team is consistently the best in the world. I also think that "except basketball" is a pretty big exception, and for that matter baseball is at least semi-global (not just North America, but East Asia and most of Latin America and the Caribbean). This is also leaving out tennis. (Is tennis globally popular? Or is it just in OECD colonizer countries?) Admittedly I don't know much about F1, but does it really have a global reach? I thought it was more of a semi-global "Europe and a few token other rich countries" thing, in the same way that baseball or hockey are only popular in some places.

Basically I know this is low-effort anti-American trolling, but it's not supported by the facts. You would do much better to dunk on our collapsing system of governance or the fact that we massively subsidize fossil fuel companies while we let climate change-driven wildfires and hurricanes ravage poor areas. Something where there's some meat to the criticism.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Honestly I prefer the idea of every sport being some weird local thing that people outside the area just don't get instead of some weird thing that everybody in the world agrees to go wild about.

We should all aspire to Buzkashi.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

¡Chile no es un país flaco!

"Adm. by GBR"

"Not successfully conquered"

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

The Argentina she tells you not to worry about :

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Ponsonby Britt posted:

The part of this that's a factual assertion seems to be demonstrably incorrect? The US is one of the main hockey countries in the world, and has the third highest ranking in terms of Olympic medals.

Uhmm, actually the US is 14th at hockey, because of a single bronze medal all the way back in 1932. But I get the confusion, Americans seem to think that hockey is something you do on ice. It's not, that's ice hockey.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Ponsonby Britt posted:

The part of this that's a factual assertion seems to be demonstrably incorrect? The US is one of the main hockey countries in the world, and has the third highest ranking in terms of Olympic medals. And in terms of soccer, admittedly the MNT is usually mediocre-to-bad, but the women's team is consistently the best in the world. I also think that "except basketball" is a pretty big exception, and for that matter baseball is at least semi-global (not just North America, but East Asia and most of Latin America and the Caribbean). This is also leaving out tennis. (Is tennis globally popular? Or is it just in OECD colonizer countries?) Admittedly I don't know much about F1, but does it really have a global reach? I thought it was more of a semi-global "Europe and a few token other rich countries" thing, in the same way that baseball or hockey are only popular in some places.

Basically I know this is low-effort anti-American trolling, but it's not supported by the facts. You would do much better to dunk on our collapsing system of governance or the fact that we massively subsidize fossil fuel companies while we let climate change-driven wildfires and hurricanes ravage poor areas. Something where there's some meat to the criticism.

Yeah, but come on, you've got to admit that the arrogance of calling an essentially North American baseball competition the "World Series" is peak American jingoism, as is referring to actual football by a daft name.

The US WNT football team is ace though, yes.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

I’m all for making fun of Americans but the English started calling it soccer. They just switched to the generic „football“ because they don’t care about rugby.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

cebrail posted:

I’m all for making fun of Americans but the English started calling it soccer. They just switched to the generic „football“ because they don’t care about rugby.

"Soccer" is the most English possible contraction for "association football."

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Should have called it "asser".

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
rear end-ball

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

¡Chile no es un país flaco!

It was smart to min-max like that, coastal land is usually the most valuable land anyway, and you get to claim all the islands, too. Chile is my favorite Latin American country for reasons I can't fully explain. Maybe it's because they're kind of like Argentina, except not bitching and moaning constantly about how their economy used to be great and it's time to Make Argentina Great Again except never actually do it

¡Arriba los rotos!

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

i'm the frozen claim to the antarctic

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Yeah, but come on, you've got to admit that the arrogance of calling an essentially North American baseball competition the "World Series" is peak American jingoism, as is referring to actual football by a daft name.

The US WNT football team is ace though, yes.

World champion baseball team the Toronto Blue Jays would like a word.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

World champion baseball team the Toronto Blue Jays would like a word.
Toronto is an American city.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

:yeshaha:

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

My favorite part is that Cuba has moved to the Haiti/Dominican Republic island, which is good cuz the Island of Cuba itself is now Spain.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

I'm Uruguay Uraguay.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Also Jamaica and Puerto Rico agreed to swap places and restart their governments.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

I've seen this map several times, and only now do I realize that Quebec has been completely erased.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

i had to suffer through the experience of this map so now I'm going to inflict it on the rest of you

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

IBroughttheFunk posted:

I've seen this map several times, and only now do I realize that Quebec has been completely erased.

Actually, Québec is the cyan

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Long Chile is the kind of thing you make when you're trying to be an rear end in a top hat in a multi-player Civ game.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

It was smart to min-max like that, coastal land is usually the most valuable land anyway, and you get to claim all the islands, too. Chile is my favorite Latin American country for reasons I can't fully explain. Maybe it's because they're kind of like Argentina, except not bitching and moaning constantly about how their economy used to be great and it's time to Make Argentina Great Again except never actually do it

¡Arriba los rotos!

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...l-idUSKCN24G3B4

hahahaha

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

I guess those who gave German as their first language are German expats? Also interesting to see how comparatively few people speak the country's official language in its capital as their native language.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Very interesting maps. My dad used to work in Luxembourg City so I've been there a few times, and I'm not surprised at it being colored white in the first one. The natives are outnumbered in many places and tend to have a pragmatic attitude towards language, having no problem speaking (mainly) French, German, or English to the many foreigners who don't speak Luxembourgish. Once, at the Auchan, someone addressed me in French, and I started pointedly ignoring them, until I remembered I wasn't in Brussels and it wasn't my fight. I still replied in English, though. Go gently caress yourself.

However, it doesn't mean they don't appreciate their language, and I don't think the country will ever become truly francophone. That window has passed, and French has lost much of its international prestige, anyway. I'm pretty sure that, at least, public elementary schools teach in Lëtzebuergesch, so it does get passed on even despite the massive demographic shift.

e: lol I just realized I made this post on the 21st of July. Belgium, thank you so much for only partly exterminating the majority language and culture! It really fills me with pride to read about 'our' history. NOT!!! :D

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jul 21, 2020

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

lots of sheep on malvina's apparently

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

How many people would be left on this earth?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Phlegmish posted:

Very interesting maps. My dad used to work in Luxembourg City so I've been there a few times, and I'm not surprised at it being colored white in the first one. The natives are outnumbered in many places and tend to have a pragmatic attitude towards language, having no problem speaking (mainly) French, German, or English to the many foreigners who don't speak Luxembourgish. Once, at the Auchan, someone addressed me in French, and I started pointedly ignoring them, until I remembered I wasn't in Brussels and it wasn't my fight. I still replied in English, though. Go gently caress yourself.

However, it doesn't mean they don't appreciate their language, and I don't think the country will ever become truly francophone. That window has passed, and French has lost much of its international prestige, anyway. I'm pretty sure that, at least, public elementary schools teach in Lëtzebuergesch, so it does get passed on even despite the massive demographic shift.

e: lol I just realized I made this post on the 21st of July. Belgium, thank you so much for only partly exterminating the majority language and culture! It really fills me with pride to read about 'our' history. NOT!!! :D

You invented the best way to eat fries. I gotta hand it to Belgium for that.

Orange Devil posted:

about 1.6 billion if my spitballed math is correct.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 21, 2020

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Take your Thralls and dive back into the depths! Give us the meat and GO!
Grimey Drawer

Orange Devil posted:

3 billion, give or take.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

it's just another bourgie holiday celebrating the current regime. Get drunk and plot the overthrow of capitalism, as god intended.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

about 1.6 billion if my spitballed math is correct.

Boonoo posted:

3 billion, give or take.

2 enter, only 1 can leave

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Take your Thralls and dive back into the depths! Give us the meat and GO!
Grimey Drawer
Haha,

I went off this from wiki. 62.63% of the world's pop. I didn't check to see if they included more beyond Ethiopia, since it looked like Vietnam (number 15 on the list) was there.

code:
1	 China[b]	1,403,627,360	18.0%	21 Jul 2020	National population clock[3]
2	 India[c]	1,364,965,498	17.5%	21 Jul 2020	National population clock[4]
3	 US[d]       	329,991,308	4.23%	21 Jul 2020	National population clock[5]
4	 Indonesia	269,603,400	3.46%	1 Jul 2020	National annual projection[6]
5	 Pakistan[e]	220,892,331	2.83%	1 Jul 2020	UN Projection[2]
6	 Brazil     	211,822,143	2.72%	21 Jul 2020	National population clock[7]
7	 Nigeria	206,139,587	2.64%	1 Jul 2020	UN Projection[2]
8	 Bangladesh	168,990,780	2.17%	21 Jul 2020	National population clock[8]
9	 Russia[f]	146,748,590	1.88%	1 Jan 2020	National estimate[9]
10	 Mexico	        127,792,286	1.64%	1 Jul 2020	National annual projection[10]
11	 Japan      	125,930,000	1.61%	1 Jun 2020	Monthly provisional estimate[11]
12	 Philippines	108,921,316	1.40%	21 Jul 2020	National population clock[12]
13	 Egypt     	100,644,475	1.29%	21 Jul 2020	National population clock[13]
14	 Ethiopia	98,665,000	1.26%	1 Jul 2019	National annual projection[14]

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

System Metternich posted:

I guess those who gave German as their first language are German expats? Also interesting to see how comparatively few people speak the country's official language in its capital as their native language.

Isn't German an official language in the country, and used by some natives as the main language, in the east of the country? Just like French is for parts in the south and west?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Wow never knew Ethiopia had that many people. I'd have figured it and SA would be reversed population wise.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Boonoo posted:

Haha,

I went off this from wiki. 62.63% of the world's pop. I didn't check to see if they included more beyond Ethiopia, since it looked like Vietnam (number 15 on the list) was there.

code:
1	 China[b]	1,403,627,360	18.0%	21 Jul 2020	National population clock[3]
2	 India[c]	1,364,965,498	17.5%	21 Jul 2020	National population clock[4]
3	 US[d]       	329,991,308	4.23%	21 Jul 2020	National population clock[5]
4	 Indonesia	269,603,400	3.46%	1 Jul 2020	National annual projection[6]
5	 Pakistan[e]	220,892,331	2.83%	1 Jul 2020	UN Projection[2]
6	 Brazil     	211,822,143	2.72%	21 Jul 2020	National population clock[7]
7	 Nigeria	206,139,587	2.64%	1 Jul 2020	UN Projection[2]
8	 Bangladesh	168,990,780	2.17%	21 Jul 2020	National population clock[8]
9	 Russia[f]	146,748,590	1.88%	1 Jan 2020	National estimate[9]
10	 Mexico	        127,792,286	1.64%	1 Jul 2020	National annual projection[10]
11	 Japan      	125,930,000	1.61%	1 Jun 2020	Monthly provisional estimate[11]
12	 Philippines	108,921,316	1.40%	21 Jul 2020	National population clock[12]
13	 Egypt     	100,644,475	1.29%	21 Jul 2020	National population clock[13]
14	 Ethiopia	98,665,000	1.26%	1 Jul 2019	National annual projection[14]

Yeah I went the opposite idiot way and added up, and now realize I left out SEA, which is almost certainly where the discrepancy comes from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Gripweed posted:

getting angry at this map