Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
I just had my first v4 beast kill, can cap all but the last 3 energy ngus at once, and have all drops maxed except the v4 beast drops and the bar bars. All of the first page of ygg is at 24. How long do I have left in normal before trying evil?

I'm at 14.6M xp total right now if that also helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Chin Strap posted:

I just had my first v4 beast kill, can cap all but the last 3 energy ngus at once, and have all drops maxed except the v4 beast drops and the bar bars. All of the first page of ygg is at 24. How long do I have left in normal before trying evil?

I'm at 14.6M xp total right now if that also helps.

If you try to go to evil it will give you a warning with recommended stats. As long as you have those, you are good to go.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Distance Idle: Is auto-buying cores just completely broken? It keeps resetting my cadavers without ever buying anything.
E: It works if I do a manual collapse but the 1% cadaver gain per second thing breaks it.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I don't really get the whole "be able to cap NGUs" thing, I can't cap more than a few NGUs at once but that's because I have millions of levels in most of them.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Samuringa posted:

congratulations on completing the transformation into the gamer with thousands of hours that leaves a negative review

There's nothing inherently wrong with those types of reviews. You get them a lot in the games-as-service pages because getting to end-game can take hundreds of hours (or there is no endgame per say but the game is designed to have "endless" content), or ongoing development changes fundamental features, or monetization gets a bit too intrusive, etc... Like, those games change over time, or the end-game is fundamentally different to the grind to get there, or any number of other perfectly legitimate issues someone might have after a long, long time with the game. And all of that can apply to idle games as well.

My "review" of NGU is still a positive one overall, I just think Sadistic doesn't feel particularly good nor the content added around it, for a lot of the same reasons Ineptitude listed out and other people seconded. I've not done 24-hour rebirths in a long time even though I know they're a more optimal choice because of the amount of systems I need to reset and the missing 25% bankable not yet added; I think that Sadistic should have had upgrade paths to do away with a lot of the manual fiddling a 24-hour reset implies, if there's strong incentives (+50% on first harvest, MacGuffins, etc...) to do it. Long resets right now just kinda' feel like I'm twiddling my thumbs as I wait for Adv. stats to threshold me, or on week-ish Wishes to complete or for PP/QP to build up for another singular pickup in a tenday or so. There's not a lot of meat here anymore, is what I'm saying, even though I know there's like two more Titans and about a half dozen or so zones to go.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Pope Guilty posted:

I don't really get the whole "be able to cap NGUs" thing, I can't cap more than a few NGUs at once but that's because I have millions of levels in most of them.

It's less of a thing now that there are three difficulties, but it used to be common to reach the "end" of normal/evil with no place to go and your caps/power would eventually reach the point where it was trivial to cap everything. I'm reaching that point in sadistic now. I have a lot of the lower-end NGUs speedcapped and all of the higher end ones at least solid bars.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
No yeah, Sadistic absolutely hit a lot of really hard issues sooner than I though which have no real satisfying solution, mainly in stats hard capping ie the computer cant physically represent a bigger number. And to be honest, i dont really feel much else I want the various systems in the game TO do either.

NGU INDUSTRIES has been pulling in me a lot mainly cause I can wipe the slate clean and try some completely different ideas.

As for the looty i dont partocularly recall a full on promise but honestly with how mamy bug me for stuff all the time I wouldnt put it past me to promise it just to get someome to lay off. I certainly didnt add one more to be ~ironic~ or any malicious reason.

There is a stop to the looty evolutions in game now that tie them up fairly well though.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

something posted:

No yeah, Sadistic absolutely hit a lot of really hard issues sooner than I though which have no real satisfying solution, mainly in stats hard capping ie the computer cant physically represent a bigger number.

Sorry, I need to call bullshit on this. There are numerous ways to represent numbers bigger than long in C#; the easiest is to use BigInteger. I don't know if there's a built-in Unity implementation, but I'm sure someone has ported it or something equivalent. And of course you can always write your own. If you want to say "I didn't plan for exceeding the size of a long and refactoring it at this point would be too hard", that's fair, but saying "I can't do anything about it because the computer can't do it" is flat out wrong. Hell, you could double the cap right now by changing long to ulong assuming you don't need it to be signed.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Sorry, I need to call bullshit on this. There are numerous ways to represent numbers bigger than long in C#; the easiest is to use BigInteger. I don't know if there's a built-in Unity implementation, but I'm sure someone has ported it or something equivalent. And of course you can always write your own. If you want to say "I didn't plan for exceeding the size of a long and refactoring it at this point would be too hard", that's fair, but saying "I can't do anything about it because the computer can't do it" is flat out wrong. Hell, you could double the cap right now by changing long to ulong assuming you don't need it to be signed.

Aren't the numbers in NGU, like, several orders of magnitude bigger memory-wise than a long already

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Devor posted:

Aren't the numbers in NGU, like, several orders of magnitude bigger memory-wise than a long already

I think energy/magic/r3 capacity/power/bars are longs

Attack, Defense, Power, and Toughness are most definitely not longs

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Anfauglir posted:

I just found Distance Idle a couple days ago and it is extremely antimatter dimensions inspired. Fun too, though you can go through just about everything real quick.

theres a surprising amount of prestige layers and stuff too

absolutely switch to dark mode immediately though

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I was enjoying distance idle but the timers on the ascension perks can eat every inch of my fat rear end.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Oh yeah that's very true, I should have said the game wasn't designed with me thinking of using such data types and redoing it now and making sure saves don't break, let alone the implications of something like energy and magic now explicitly being an imprecise float or double. It just wasn't what the game was designed with in mind. I didn't mean to imply "THERE ARE NO DATA TYPES BIGGER THAN LONGS". That's what I meant by no satisfying solution. it's a ton of fidgety technical work to extend a system into a range i don't really have any engaging ideas for to begin with.

tl;dr personal design choice, not a literal, physical impossibility.

The system i have planned for my 2nd game which also does use longs to store the count of the various materials wiill basically flag them as being hard-capped or trivial to make, so i can keep adding progressively weirder/cooler things that require more and more materials to any arbitrary number, really. It'll also tie in to some shiny red box you can get to say you "completed" production of that material, or whatever.

something fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 20, 2020

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

something posted:

It'll also tie in to some shiny red box you can get to say you "completed" production of that material, or whatever.

This is all I needed to hear, 10/10 game. Why would I play anything that doesn't give me shiny red boxes?

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
In fact, I want to sorta rip off Monster Train (awesome STS-like game btw) and have a Completion/Achievements album page of sorts in-game where you can collect lots of shinies for completing various milestones in the game. Complete with special little icons, borders, all the things to really tap into that dopamine vein.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

cum calamity posted:

theres a surprising amount of prestige layers and stuff too

absolutely switch to dark mode immediately though

the modes says there's an "ending" but how do you know when you've reached it? I'm at elementary and have all the scalar boson upgrades and only missing 3 of the achievements (134, 136, 137)

should i restart in hard or extreme next? i think when i started the game in easy it automatically moved me to normal when i was "done"

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

something posted:

In fact, I want to sorta rip off Monster Train (awesome STS-like game btw) and have a Completion/Achievements album page of sorts in-game where you can collect lots of shinies for completing various milestones in the game. Complete with special little icons, borders, all the things to really tap into that dopamine vein.

Oh no (oh good!) more red boxes to complete :ohdear:

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

oh god i got to elementary and i don't want my automation to leave :gonk:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Been in elementary for a bit and nothing I do seems to actually result in progress. I ground out short runs to get the 1k leptons and bosons achievement but I'm still stuck exactly where I was at less than 100. The main tab seems to have bugged out, every number on it is counting up from 1 to 9.9999 and not moving the exponent at all.

Codedependent
Apr 16, 2020

NGU Cheer Squad
I'm well into sad in NGU and still absolutely loving the game. I suggest you join the discord if you're not already on it... great community that adds a lot to the game.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Unless you complain about design decisions you dislike, then everyone does their best samuringa impression.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I just hit Dark Circles in Distance Incremental. Is anyone else getting "Time Cube" vibes from that page's design?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I tried Distance Incremental and it feels kind of weirdly non-interactive? Like yeah I have to click a button every so often but I feel like an auto hot key script without a lot of branches could play the game without it being any less interesting.

wonderboy
Aug 15, 2001
What is the secret of your power?

dis astranagant posted:

Been in elementary for a bit and nothing I do seems to actually result in progress. I ground out short runs to get the 1k leptons and bosons achievement but I'm still stuck exactly where I was at less than 100.

This is where I am as well. I let it run overnight and was able to get several more of the Scalar Boson upgrades, but very little has progressed since then.
I didn't notice for quite a long time that the Quarks/Leptons (from Fermions) have various effects that aren't all active, you have to choose which you want --- does anyone have any strategy/advice for which should be in use? Or other advice for progress at this point? For reference, I get around 150 elementary particles on reset.

Edit: there's a discord (found in Options); they recommend Charm Quarks (for Knowledge) and Muon Leptons (for Cadavers). There's apparently another prestige tier after Elementary too.

wonderboy fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jul 20, 2020

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

KazigluBey posted:

My "review" of NGU is still a positive one overall, I just think Sadistic doesn't feel particularly good nor the content added around it

Exactly this. I would't hesitate to recommend NGU to someone that likes the genre but haven't played it. For my part, it feels like the only reason i still play is sunk cost fallacy, i no longer enjoy the daily "ygg gear->diggers->fruit->rebirth->gold gear->adventure zone->diggers->ITOPOD->progress gear->wait 6 minutes->assign Wandoos->wait 2 hours->assign resources" routine

something posted:

have no real satisfying solution,

One solution would be to decrease the rate at which sad NGUs scale in cost.
Currently the "NGU MAGIC NGU" and "NGU ENERGY NGU" scale in cost faster than the benefit to speed you gain from them, which seems wrong.
One of the fun parts, and paradigm shifts if you will, with NGUs in normal and evil was that once you could BB the NMN and NEN NGUs you would gradually converge towards all NGUs costing 1 energy, meaning you could start phasing out NGU% gear and be able to train hacks or wishes all the time instead of occasionally.
In Sad there is no such paradigm shift. You can argue that the NMN and NEN NGUs make the other NGUs cheaper and while that is true they are so cheap to begin with (except NGU PP and NGU Adv B) that you can easily BB them anyways.
If BBing these would start converging Sad NGU costs towards 1 then we would be able to free up gear for hack or wish gear permanently. That would certainly feel like a paradigm shift.

something posted:

I certainly didnt add one more to be ~ironic~ or any malicious reason.

Perhaps poorly worded by me. It feels like every statement of the game that is not unconditional praise is met with memes or ironic statements (by the community) "haha look at this guy, taking an idler so seriously", i didn't mean to imply that you added the extra looty/pendant to be malicious

something posted:

There is a stop to the looty evolutions in game now that tie them up fairly well though.

:woop:

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 20, 2020

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Ineptitude posted:

Exactly this. I would't hesitate to recommend NGU to someone that likes the genre but haven't played it. For my part, it feels like the only reason i still play is sunk cost fallacy, i no longer enjoy the daily "ygg gear->diggers->fruit->rebirth->gold gear->adventure zone->diggers->ITOPOD->progress gear->wait 6 minutes->assign Wandoos->wait 2 hours->assign resources" routine

Whatever happens in the new (2) game, automating away some of the Rebirth, Reset stuff should be a thing. It's why Realm Grinder is so goddamn painful to play. If you're going to ask me to reset everything and then hold me hostage for 30-120 minutes just to click the same things in the same order day after day, I just might not. If I want to make different decisions, then yeah, it's on me to set everything up correctly.

It's why I like long rebirths in NGU. I can still make decent progress without being forced to reset everyday. Come to think of it, I think people wouldn't have the patience to actually reach Evil if you couldn't do long rebirths from time to time, despite all the fantastic features and unlocks the game offers (NGU Idle is a cool game for cool people).

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Auto digger capper like nuker sounds like something I'd pay AP for.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Blattdorf posted:

Whatever happens in the new (2) game, automating away some of the Rebirth, Reset stuff should be a thing. It's why Realm Grinder is so goddamn painful to play. If you're going to ask me to reset everything and then hold me hostage for 30-120 minutes just to click the same things in the same order day after day, I just might not. If I want to make different decisions, then yeah, it's on me to set everything up correctly.

It's why I like long rebirths in NGU. I can still make decent progress without being forced to reset everyday. Come to think of it, I think people wouldn't have the patience to actually reach Evil if you couldn't do long rebirths from time to time, despite all the fantastic features and unlocks the game offers (NGU Idle is a cool game for cool people).

Yeah when I was farming up the Chocolate and Beast sets I did a couple of like 15 day rebirths, in large part because gently caress waiting for AT to crank my Adventure stats up more often than necessary.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

The main tab seems to have bugged out, every number on it is counting up from 1 to 9.9999 and not moving the exponent at all.

When the exponent is itself an exponent, you'll see stuff like that. For example, mine is currently showing [spam]e2.838e+6. But (assuming rounding rather than truncation) that could translate to anywhere from [spam]e2,837,500 to [spam]e2,838,499.

So what's actually happening is that mine is going from, say, 9e2,838,101 to 1e2,838,102. The second number's bigger behind the scenes, so it is legitimately an increase, but they display as 9e2.838e+6 and 1e2.838e+6 respectively.

TL;DR - rounding/truncation display issue that you'll see whenever the exponent itself isn't shown down to the exact integer.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Pope Guilty posted:

Yeah when I was farming up the Chocolate and Beast sets I did a couple of like 15 day rebirths, in large part because gently caress waiting for AT to crank my Adventure stats up more often than necessary.

Just be aware if you ever complain about anything - especially rate of progression - and admit you're doing anything other than perfect 24h rebirths, prepare to have that completely ignored and belittled.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
so i've noticed that in distance, holy and sainthood seem to be good for pushing distance, what's the best combo for building? glory godhood? or glory holy?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

wonderboy posted:

This is where I am as well. I let it run overnight and was able to get several more of the Scalar Boson upgrades, but very little has progressed since then.
I didn't notice for quite a long time that the Quarks/Leptons (from Fermions) have various effects that aren't all active, you have to choose which you want --- does anyone have any strategy/advice for which should be in use? Or other advice for progress at this point? For reference, I get around 150 elementary particles on reset.

Edit: there's a discord (found in Options); they recommend Charm Quarks (for Knowledge) and Muon Leptons (for Cadavers). There's apparently another prestige tier after Elementary too.

You have to grind elemental reset count, not particles at that point. It's really stupid but unless you have 130+ elemental resets you're hard walled by knowledge requirements. And shortly after that you'll unlock another button that you'll have to put an autoclicker on for a good while in order to progress.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 20, 2020

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

Blattdorf posted:

Currently planning for there to be no rebirth mechanic at all, actually.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

:hmmno:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Looking forward to the next entry in the NGUverse but I think the Sadistic grind is just not for me. I've been getting tired of doing the same daily routine without noticing much improvement at all, without much to look forward to other than more gear I've kinda lost the desire to keep pushing it further.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Great. More people bitching about Sadistic. Way to ruin a good thing man.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Is there a beta for NGUI on steam and is there any chance I could get a key for it?

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
I've just been doing lazy several well rbs, it's nice because I barely have to do anything and I'm still cruising towards the end

wonderboy
Aug 15, 2001
What is the secret of your power?

dis astranagant posted:

You have to grind elemental reset count, not particles at that point. It's really stupid but unless you have 130+ elemental resets you're hard walled by knowledge requirements. And shortly after that you'll unlock another button that you'll have to put an autoclicker on for a good while in order to progress.

From what I could tell in my brief discord adventure, there are at least some things that are currently "not possible".
I think along with some others here, I had the impression there was some ascertainable "end" that was possible in a reasonable amount of time (a few days grinding it, maybe a week or two casually?).
So I'm hanging up on it for now. The theorem layer isn't interesting at all, on top of Elementary stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

somekindofguy posted:

Great. More people bitching about Sadistic. Way to ruin a good thing man.

I'm not bitching about it at all. Sadistic has to be there to let the people who are at the end of the game keep playing or you'd have those people get mad because there's not enough content. I'm just saying after playing the game for a couple of years I'm tapping out.