Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

I'm looking for a beginner friendly synth with built in speakers so I can practice around the house, can anyone recommend some?

edit: if I were to get one without speakers built in, what kind of speakers would I need to get?

a pale ghost fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jul 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
volcas?

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

I googled that and it seems to be the type without piano keys. I'm looking for something like a keyboard, but with synth sounds, if that makes sense

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

a pale ghost posted:

I googled that and it seems to be the type without piano keys. I'm looking for something like a keyboard, but with synth sounds, if that makes sense

Volca keys is the best portable beginner friendly synth you could find.

It has a touch keyboard with 2 octaves, a sequencer, polyphony, sounds surprisingly good and will teach you all the basics of synthetisis.

Plus you can purchase it used easily, and resell it just as easily.

Volca bass is also fun, but IMHO not as good as the keys. Volca FM is super cool, but it's FM so maybe not the best to start.

Any small Bluetooth speaker can also be hooked to it through minijack, and it has midi in meaning you can control it with a bigger keyboard or external sequencer later.

I know it looks like a toy, but it's absolutely not one. It's a great portable synth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbNFLyn-hTk

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Volca keys is the best portable beginner friendly synth you could find.

It has a touch keyboard with 2 octaves, a sequencer, polyphony, sounds surprisingly good and will teach you all the basics of synthetisis.

Plus you can purchase it used easily, and resell it just as easily.

Volca bass is also fun, but IMHO not as good as the keys. Volca FM is super cool, but it's FM so maybe not the best to start.

Any small Bluetooth speaker can also be hooked to it through minijack, and it has midi in meaning you can control it with a bigger keyboard or external sequencer later.

I know it looks like a toy, but it's absolutely not one. It's a great portable synth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbNFLyn-hTk

that looks interesting. the keys seem really tiny and difficult to play rapidly though. I'm not very good with tech, I assume there are guides out there for all those knobs?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

a pale ghost posted:

that looks interesting. the keys seem really tiny and difficult to play rapidly though. I'm not very good with tech, I assume there are guides out there for all those knobs?

The keys are indeed tiny, but you have the sequencer allowing you to record your loops at your own pace and launch them at will, which is a very helpful skill to play with synths.

Otherwise you can still hook any external midi keyboard to it and turn it into a full size synth.

The user manual explains all the function quickly, and there are tons of tutorial videos on youtube.

It has a very standard architecture meaning if you learn how it works, you have done half of the work to learn any other analog synth out there.

If you are completely unfamiliar with the notions of VCO, VCF, VCA and LFO (the basic blocks of analog synthesis) I'm sure another goon can direct you to a beginner friendly book or site explaining them.

e: if you aren't interested in the theoretical and technical aspects of analog synthesis, I guess some cheap Casio synth with built-in speaker can also be a nice alternative with a bigger keyboard, but then you are also much more limited by presets. And it will also sound much more like a toy.

e2: more videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0ckp3DM16c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cIDA4XCZdI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwBQcAHuQY4

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jul 20, 2020

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

If you are completely unfamiliar with the notions of VCO, VCF, VCA and LFO (the basic blocks of analog synthesis) I'm sure another goon can direct you to a beginner friendly book or site explaining them.

Yes, I am unfamiliar. Any guide that someone could provide would be very much appreciated!

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

e: if you aren't interested in the theoretical and technical aspects of analog synthesis, I guess some cheap Casio synth with built-in speaker can also be a nice alternative with a bigger keyboard, but then you are also much more limited by presets. And it will also sound much more like a toy.

I have a fairly large keyboard with preset sounds already, if that's the same thing you're talking about. I enjoy it, but I only like a few of the preset sounds, and would like a more poppy/electronica sound.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

There absolute tons of videos on youtube that will readily explain how synthesis works and what each knob does, don't worry.

Volcas are good, you could even pick up a separate little keyboard to supplement it. For a more all-in-one box, look into Arturia's Minibrutes and Microbrutes. I can vouch for the Microbrute as an excellent beginner synth.

Synths don't usually come with built in speakers. If you're set on that idea, you could look into something like a Yamaha Reface CS. It has sliders, not knobs like the majority of synths, but the idea behind them is the same, it has built in speakers but you can also hook up your own, and it's more than capable of classic synth sounds.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

There absolute tons of videos on youtube that will readily explain how synthesis works and what each knob does, don't worry.

Volcas are good, you could even pick up a separate little keyboard to supplement it. For a more all-in-one box, look into Arturia's Minibrutes and Microbrutes. I can vouch for the Microbrute as an excellent beginner synth.

Synths don't usually come with built in speakers. If you're set on that idea, you could look into something like a Yamaha Reface CS. It has sliders, not knobs like the majority of synths, but the idea behind them is the same, it has built in speakers but you can also hook up your own, and it's more than capable of classic synth sounds.

What kind of speakers would I need? I have a bluetooth speaker, I'm not sure if it has input to hook up to things.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

a pale ghost posted:

I'm looking for a beginner friendly synth with built in speakers so I can practice around the house, can anyone recommend some?

edit: if I were to get one without speakers built in, what kind of speakers would I need to get?

I'm not totally sure but to me it sounds a little bit like that you could be looking for a keyboard, or maybe even a digital piano, rather than a synthesizer. If you're interested in having a bunch of fun preset sounds that you play with piano-like keys then that's probably the case. Synths are more centered around designing the sounds itself and they often don't even have keyboards at all. Built-in speakers are a rarity but keyboards and digital pianos almost always have them.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

a pale ghost posted:

What kind of speakers would I need? I have a bluetooth speaker, I'm not sure if it has input to hook up to things.

Any speaker with mini jack input works

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

j.peeba posted:

I'm not totally sure but to me it sounds a little bit like that you could be looking for a keyboard, or maybe even a digital piano, rather than a synthesizer. If you're interested in having a bunch of fun preset sounds that you play with piano-like keys then that's probably the case. Synths are more centered around designing the sounds itself and they often don't even have keyboards at all. Built-in speakers are a rarity but keyboards and digital pianos almost always have them.

I have a keyboard and the preset sounds are all really cheesy and bad aha

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

a pale ghost posted:

Ah poo poo. Never mind then. In that case I'll second the recommendation for Volcas. They are a nice way to get your feet wet. You could also check out if your keyboard happens to have a midi output. In that case your options are a bit wider since you could play desktop synths and synth modules with your old keyboard. Volcas have a midi input as well so you wouldn't have to fiddle with the touch strip that much.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

a pale ghost posted:

Well I think the most important question then is "does it have to be portable and with built-in speaker?".

If yes, you are pretty limited but the Volca is I believe the best choice. It has been my first synth ever, and it was a lot of fun, and a great learning tool. What's cool is that it is portable, but it can still get use as a normal synth because you have line out and midi in.

Otherwise then there are plenty of excellent other options with keyboards, but no built in speaker, and no batteries.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

j.peeba posted:

Ah poo poo. Never mind then. In that case I'll second the recommendation for Volcas. They are a nice way to get your feet wet. You could also check out if your keyboard happens to have a midi output. In that case your options are a bit wider since you could play desktop synths and synth modules with your old keyboard. Volcas have a midi input as well so you wouldn't have to fiddle with the touch strip that much.

I checked, my keyboard does have a midi output!

I want to make music like the synth in this song here, would the Volca be good for that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ9i0LYvQQ0

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Well I think the most important question then is "does it have to be portable and with built-in speaker?".

If yes, you are pretty limited but the Volca is I believe the best choice. It has been my first synth ever, and it was a lot of fun, and a great learning tool. What's cool is that it is portable, but it can still get use as a normal synth because you have line out and midi in.

Otherwise then there are plenty of excellent other options with keyboards, but no built in speaker, and no batteries.

which Volca would you recommend? I'm seeing a few options, such as the Korg Volca Keys Analog Loop Synthesizer and the Korg Volca FM SINTETIZZATORE A 3 VOCI

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice
The Yamaha reface series are smaller synths with actual keys to them (also they have the reface CP which is quite piano like in sound) and they have internal speakers. Also the Microkorg is pretty well featured and can be bought second hand everywhere, it's a bit tricky when it comes to programming though. The modal synths are also portable but back to the more ribbon like keys.

For connecting a speaker you just need something that will take a 3.5mm jack then get a quarter inch adapter for it. You can get speakers there with absolutely any budget.

A LOVELY LAD fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jul 20, 2020

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

a pale ghost posted:

Does it also have external audio input? You could use its speakers to start with.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

Does it also have external audio input? You could use its speakers to start with.

Unfortunately it does not

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

a pale ghost posted:

I want to make music like the synth in this song here, would the Volca be good for that?

which Volca would you recommend? I'm seeing a few options, such as the Korg Volca Keys Analog Loop Synthesizer and the Korg Volca FM SINTETIZZATORE A 3 VOCI

Volca FM. Use your midi-out keyboard to control it. Just plug into your computer speakers, or headphones.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I'd recommend a cheap Ensoniq. Like an ESQ-1.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

a pale ghost posted:

I would recommend both :)

They are both excellent, and representing a different synthesis technique and thus sound.

Keys is old school basic analog sound. It's 3 VCO with either saw or square wave, plus a low pass filter. Think of an extremely basic minimoog capable of 3 notes paraphony.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlqgjMKXeX8

If you open the filter fully, you have standard square or saw wave sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2uB4nKzGlg

Volca FM is a 6 operator FM synth. Meaning you have much wider palette of sounds, and you can theoretically create your own presets, but it's so incredibly complex you are left to play with the built in ones. FM sounds are a very different approach. Here you also don't have a filter.
Here are some of its presets. FM sounds very cheesy and 80's, but it's also awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE_MHSBmmX8

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jul 20, 2020

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

https://www.zzounds.com/item--KORVO...oRoC4agQAvD_BwE

is this the Volca you would recommend? The page describes it as a "3-voice polyphonic FM synthesizer", what does that mean?

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Volca FM is a 6 operator FM synth. Meaning you have much wider palette of sounds, and you can theoretically create your own presets, but it's so incredibly complex you are left to play with the built in ones. FM sounds are a very different approach. Here you also don't have a filter.
Here are some of its presets. FM sounds very cheesy and 80's, but it's also awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE_MHSBmmX8

Yea i thought the FM was 3 voices too.
3 voice polyphony is that you can only use 3 fingers to press a chord. So it's different than a piano where you play all the keys. It can get more complicated than that but you know it's not like playing your keyboard.
A deepmind 12 is good and modern if you want to use all 10 fingers.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

a pale ghost posted:

https://www.zzounds.com/item--KORVO...oRoC4agQAvD_BwE

is this the Volca you would recommend? The page describes it as a "3-voice polyphonic FM synthesizer", what does that mean?

That's the Volca FM (I posted sounds exaple above)

3-voice polyphony means you can press up to 3 notes simultaneously on the keyboard and they will all be played. The 4th note is ignored.

It allows to play 3 notes chords.

Both the FM and the Keys have that feature, so listen to the sounds of both and decide which you prefer.

Volca FM is slightly more complex, but you can start with the presets (which you can't with the Keys)

e: also check for used volcas, they can be found easily for almost half the retail price.

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jul 20, 2020

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

That's the Volca FM (I posted sounds exaple above)

3-voice polyphony means you can press up to 3 notes simultaneously on the keyboard and they will all be played. The 4th note is ignored.

It allows to play 3 notes chords.

Both the FM and the Keys have that feature, so listen to the sounds of both and decide which you prefer.

Volca FM is slightly more complex, but you can start with the presets (which you can't with the Keys)

e: also check for used volcas, they can be found easily for almost half the retail price.

So the Keys is easier to learn? that's the most important part for me, I'm kind of a dullard when it comes to tech and it takes me a bit to learn things, and I'm interested in making my own unique sounds

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Korg Minilogue XD, since there was no explicit mention of a budget. Hands on interface, some polyphony, oscilloscope display which is a great learning tool, built-in effects, presets on a reasonable budget.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

a pale ghost posted:

So the Keys is easier to learn? that's the most important part for me, I'm kind of a dullard when it comes to tech and it takes me a bit to learn things, and I'm interested in making my own unique sounds

If you want to create your own sounds, Keys is incredibly easier.

If you just want to play sounds, FM is easier because it has built-in presets.

I don't remember if there are preset cards in the Keys box, but there are some online. They are just pictures of how you should set up the knobs to get a certain sound, because volca keys isn't capable of recording knobs positions into presets.

e:

Flipperwaldt posted:

Korg Minilogue XD, since there was no explicit mention of a budget. Hands on interface, some polyphony, oscilloscope display which is a great learning tool, built-in effects, presets on a reasonable budget.

Also as said previously, I would agree with this or an Arturia if no batteries and no speaker isn't an issue.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

Flipperwaldt posted:

I should have mentioned that I'm trying to find something that is cheaper since I'm new to it.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I have a volca keys and I would second that its great fun and good for learning synthesis. All the knobs are right there so you can just turn them and see what happens, I dont love the sequencer but thats not a dealbreaker since it takes MIDI.

The great thing about it is that you also learn the practice of 'playing' a synth more than you will messing around with vsts, just reaching down and using a knob to add expression in real time.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Another nice presentation video showing the basic features

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhh_YMnKuVA

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
really weird to see everyone not tripping over themselves to push the OP-1 on new synth guy

ESQ1 is a pretty funny req tho

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

so, the advice I'm getting from other forums leads me to think the following would be good entry points:

Korg Monologue

Yamaha Reface

Korg Volca

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

a pale ghost posted:

I should have mentioned that I'm trying to find something that is cheaper since I'm new to it.

You want a Volca Keys. Just plug your existing keyboard into it with MIDI. There is no cheaper or more portable synth that also has a speaker.

Plus the Volca series in general is fun as heck and the form factor and workflow go pretty much hand in hand.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

rickiep00h posted:

You want a Volca Keys. Just plug your existing keyboard into it with MIDI. There is no cheaper or more portable synth that also has a speaker.

Plus the Volca series in general is fun as heck and the form factor and workflow go pretty much hand in hand.

That's what I'm leaning towards, is it easy to learn? I have no idea how to utilize a sequencer, or how to program a synth. I'm a complete novice

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

a pale ghost posted:

That's what I'm leaning towards, is it easy to learn? I have no idea how to utilize a sequencer, or how to program a synth. I'm a complete novice

I am extremely picky about sequencers and anything with menus in general, hate DAWs and software, etc. The Keys is a great place to start. The sequencer works like you intuitively expect as a novice (start it going and it records as you play, rather than step-entry). It is knob-per-function, meaning that each setting on the synth has a knob or an on/off key that is not hidden in a menu or behind a shift-key'd knob movement. Easy to learn when to use mono/stacked/5ths oscillators vs polyphonic (worth keeping in mind that the Keys has 3 voices max, so you aren't going to be playing organ parts, but you can make some pads, and it's not hard to make a slow bassline and record some higher lines on top of it in poly mode if you're itching to make a mini-track all on the keys).

You can have a lot of fun just sequencing which avoids the issues of the very small touch keyboard, but Keysteps are going super cheap right now because everyone who has CV synths is swapping to the Pro (just sold my old keystep myself haha), which still isn't full sized keys but is much more playable, will get you acquainted with the other major sequencer type (step entry), and gives you a very very fun to play with arpeggiator. I don't think you can really go wrong when a used Volca Keys is like $90 generally :)

e: just saw you seem to have a midi keyboard so yeah you are already set up get going!

e2: to avoid confusion: Volca Keys is the Synth, the Arturia Keystep is a MIDI keyboard I have used with my Volcas before

DragQueenofAngmar fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jul 20, 2020

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

Thanks for the advice all. I ordered a Volca Keys. Very excited to learn all about this device! I'll share some songs when I get down to it, too.

edit: is sequencing as simple as pressing a button, playing notes, and hitting the button again?

a pale ghost fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jul 20, 2020

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

a pale ghost posted:

Yes, I am unfamiliar. Any guide that someone could provide would be very much appreciated!
This is like a synth 101. I can't speak to its quality, since I don't know anything either, but I came across it recently.

https://learningsynths.ableton.com/

I'm also looking at maybe picking up a Volca. It's looking like I might as well buy new since prices between used Reverb and Amazon (in Canada) are pretty much identical.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

a pale ghost posted:

edit: is sequencing as simple as pressing a button, playing notes, and hitting the button again?
There are different methods but: can be! And you can do it that way with the Volca.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
Speaking of things like presets, knob per function design, menus, and simplicity: I feel like I've finally zeroed in on what kinds of synths are the most inspirational for me, and facilitate making music rather than becoming an obstacle. I've sold or traded things that weren't working for me, or that I liked 70% but always had gripes with, and I've been pretty good at being merciless with gear that isn't getting used. But I'm having trouble with one synth- my Sirin.

I love the way it sounds. To me it has a sort of inherent musicality, the filter really sings, it seems full of sweet spots- I just think it sounds gorgeous. And if I was controlling it from my DAW and programming knob changes and melodies from there, it would probably be perfect. But I don't know if I can get past the fact that so many of the most interesting and useful functions are either hidden behind imprecise shifted functions via the glide button, or in some cases completely inaccessible without plugging into a computer to have access to the editor. The idea that I can have this instrument and have parts of it locked off to me unless I use my laptop too is enraging to me (probably a bit of a strong reaction, but yeah). If I have to twist some of the knobs on my screen with a mouse, why is there a physical box too? Why divide the control methods? I guess in a sense it's the same sort of reaction I have when I've owned a guitar pedal that has settings inside the pedal, behind screws. Maybe I will change that one time, after deciding which is better, but otherwise I find it too inconvenient.

I would have been willing to pay a much higher price for the same synth, if they had made a physical version of the in-editor extended panel:

So I guess my question is: is there a way around these issues that can be totally physically based? Should I start looking at knobby and switchy small MIDI controllers? I'll be really sad to have the Sirin's sound leave my setup, but as is I only utilize a few presets I've made, unless I'm in the mood to deal with the computer and design a whole new sound, and that's under-utilizing to the point that I start feeling guilty. What do y'all think? (I guess I should also note that if I fix this problem with some kind of MIDI hardware, that device would be for the Sirin alone, so that I can permanently label what functions each knob controls and never change them- yes, I'm hopelessly analog-brained.) Should I try to make the Sirin meet my 'all-physical' demands, or look for an alternative?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I saw a Sweetwater billboard today. Didn't realize how close I was moving to their HQ.