Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Ciaphas posted:

I've got some SteamWorld games sitting here - a couple of Digs, a Quest and a Heist. Any of them particularly notable?

Steamworld Dig 2 and Heist are amazing. Heist is like a great turn-based side-scroller xcom but where you can aim bullets and shoot them around corners to ricochet and pop off hats, it's really pleasant and well-done. I hope they make a Heist 2 game. I'm not even a big TBS combat fan but I loved it in this.

Steamworld Dig 2 is one of my favorite Metroidvanias. It has a MotherLoad/IDigIt-esque loop where you can dig, bring up gems to the surface and sell for better lanterns, better drills, more fuel, then go you can go deeper and dig more, get double jumps and powerups after fighting bosses to go to another location, etc. It's kinda lite on the MotherLoad elements but they're still a fun and addicting NUMBER go UP. It also doesn't outstay it's welcome y'know, just a nice addicting metroidvania with cool graphics in a fun world without anything complex going on nor overly long, something you can beat in 20 hrs or less.

Steamworld 1 is fine, it's a competent metroidvania like above with MotherLoad-esque gameplay, even pretty solid, but it's also a bit generic and doesn't do much special. They really refined it much better in 2. If your time is limited, I would say go straight to Dig 2 and Heist unless you have a lot of time on your hands, then play DIg1->Dig 2 + Heist

Quest sucked, skip it. Basically the devs tried to hop on the ~TRADING CARD~ ccg fad and honestly just did not make the cut or do anything good with it. It's OK on a Switch because it's easy to pick-up and put down while on the go (the onyl reason I even finished it was because I was playing it on an airplane); but don't waste your time on the PC, just play Slay the Spire or Monster Train or literally anything else like that because there's like nothing to it and the strategies are braindead with no fun synergies or anything.

Speaking of which, I hate how loving fad-dragon chasing that even indie gaming is these days. Like it's one thing for AAA pubs to chase da MOBA/lootbox-f2p/overwatch aesthetic/battle royale/open world/6v6 dragon or w/e, they're intellectually bankrupt and that's OK. But it's kind a bit sad how even the bigger indie names are chasing fads too these days like the sudden trading card stuff, even Klei is getting on the CCG fad with Griftland. I get CCG deck-building is old, but it seems like there's just been an overwhelming amount of them the past year and on the horizon. There's also games aping Hades like https://store.steampowered.com/app/1123770/Curse_of_the_Dead_Gods/ which hey if it's good, so be it, but also like most of the time they don't bring anything better to the table than their predecessors

Xaris fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Ciaphas posted:

I've got some SteamWorld games sitting here - a couple of Digs, a Quest and a Heist. Any of them particularly notable?

Heist is my favorite 2D XCOM game with aimed shots and hat collecting.

Quest is really simple. I like it a lot but boy it is simple.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

END ME SCOOB posted:

I remember that stuff, it's in a pair of Chico Tapes. It's not a thing they made up. It's pretty hosed!

Yeah it's real and real hosed.

MGS5 is actually kind of bad tbh. It has amazing open world gameplay and some really memeable moments but the plot is a trainwreck and Quiet is awful, the oops Konami cut us off nonending immediately soured me on the game and there is no way to pretend Kojima didn't blow the budget.
I love stupid Kojima poo poo but I can't defend MGS5.

If you just ignore the plot and some of the tapes(most of them are fine to good) it's pretty fun though:shrug:

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jul 20, 2020

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

I adored the first act of heist but found it getting samey a few levels into the second. The ricochet aiming is an incredible gimmick but they chose all the progression mechanics I hate.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
MGS5 is one of the best-controlling stealth games I've ever played, and I loved the slow, natural way in which you realise how many options you have at all times. It was also the first Metal Gear I played, and I think I actually benefited from not having any investment in the plot or characters.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Oxxidation posted:

mo:astray is really, really good

the platforming is a little hinky in the first chapter, but then you get the double-jump and can course-correct midair and everything is fine and lovely. the audio-visual design is top-notch, the story's like a grimmer and bloodier version of the Swapper (not so much the philosophical bent as the overall melancholy atmosphere and the fact that you're on a crashed ship/planet where nebulous Terrible Things have occurred), and the boss fights make extremely effective use of the limited mechanics. only thing that's a bit off are the comic interludes, the art's kind of amateur and definitely not a great fit for the rest of the game's tone, and the mission-control voice sometimes talks too much

otherwise it's a shame this didn't blow up more when it was released

:yeah: mo:astray absolutely rules. Once you get the double jump it feels real good to play and the (penultimate chapter) DYLANN boss fight is pretty drat excellent.

edit: https://youtu.be/XXHtQp61Yo4?t=142 this one (non-embedded because spoilers)

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jul 20, 2020

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Det_no posted:

Explicit content warning. The tape it all comes from.

Paz and Chico are tortured in the GZ tapes. The kids' captors tease Chico about having a crush on Paz and they want to take revenge on her too so they forcefully rip Paz's clothes off her body so that Chico can "see" some sort of "scars" on Paz's body. Then, they rape Paz in front of Chico in an attempt to get him to talk and stop it.

Right after that, the torturers force Chico to perform some unspecified sexual acts or intercourse with Paz.

THEN after that, back in their cage, Paz offers consensual sex with Chico to console him.

and THEN they get tortured more.

AND THEN they get rescued but die anyway.

Chico is 13. Paz is 20 something.

Hideo Kojima is a hackfraud who would to anything to make this B-tier movies shaped like videogames.

Pretty much. The bomb was the least messed up part.

EDIT - I am not saying that these things aren't a tactic of war and extremist groups. I'm not even saying that such things should be handled delicately. But Kojima there's a difference between something being "raw" and being "edgelord".

Hub Cat posted:

Yeah it's real and real hosed.

MGS5 is actually kind of bad tbh. It has amazing open world gameplay and some really memeable moments but the plot is a trainwreck and Quiet is awful, the oops Konami cut us off nonending immediately soured me on the game and there is no way to pretend Kojima didn't blow the budget.
I love stupid Kojima poo poo but I can't defend MGS5.

If you just ignore the plot and some of the tapes(most of them are fine) it's pretty fun though:shrug:

I don't understand why people immediately took Kojima's side during the Konami debacle. It's clear the game was way over budget and without a vision.

The game should have just been one giant Ground Zero.

Krazyface posted:

MGS5 is one of the best-controlling stealth games I've ever played, and I loved the slow, natural way in which you realise how many options you have at all times. It was also the first Metal Gear I played, and I think I actually benefited from not having any investment in the plot or characters.

The stealth mechanics and control is incredible. The level design is trash unfortunately outside of a few set pieces.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jul 20, 2020

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

punk rebel ecks posted:

I don't understand why people immediately took Kojima's side during the Konami debacle. It's clear the game was way over budget and without a vision.
Because Konami is a trash company that abuses it's employees and VG man make fun game

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jul 20, 2020

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I liked MGS5 but it was one of the few singleplayer I've played games where it seemed like its real money stuff actually did interfere with the gameplay, in that I beat it and did a lot of side content, and probably unlocked only a quarter of the tech tree. Late-tier prices got insane.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Kojima reportedly wanted to stop making Metal Gear Solid games at least three titles ago. Even if the game is crappy, the only reason it even exists is company pressure, so in a roundabout fashion it's still on them anyway.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

To bring this all the way around Konami decided to release the game knowing the state it was in so ultimately they're still to blame.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 20, 2020

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Mordja posted:

I liked MGS5 but it was one of the few singleplayer I've played games where it seemed like its real money stuff actually did interfere with the gameplay, in that I beat it and did a lot of side content, and probably unlocked only a quarter of the tech tree. Late-tier prices got insane.

You never needed to pay real money, if you’re referring to the microtransactions that are in it. You collect enough for free (just log in on Wed, Sat, and Sun) that you’ll have enough for another FOB by the time you complete your current FOB.

I’m completing the max level base now (FOB 4). It’s 450k fuel for each of the four platforms I have left, plus 468k of another resource. The MB coins don’t help with this. They only cut down the time it takes to complete. I wonder how much money Konami actually made off that dumb system.

a cat irl
Feb 13, 2010
Mgs3 is still GOAT tho

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
Iratus talk: Has anyone bought the Supporter Pack of this game yet? How is the additional minion "Infested"? Worth the price?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I enjoyed MGSV a great deal, but it clearly had a horrific case of scope creep and the writing that's there is mostly godawful. It is like 25% incoherent mess, and 75% the most fun stealth game I've ever played. If it had just been Peace Walker But It's Not On The PSP Anymore, it would be the game of the decade, easily, but they had to go gently caress it up with all this grimdark bullshit.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

a cat irl posted:

Mgs3 is still GOAT tho

yeah it's the only MGS I've played and it was amazing.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Considering its the fifth one, playing MGS1-4 doesn't really help with your understanding of MGS5's story. The first hour is still incomprehensible.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The first hour is still incomprehensible.
Yet I wish there was more of it.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So I'm interested in Death Come True, but this review is off putting to me.

"Not worth the full price. It's a ~3h movie with 2 endings, which you pick at the end of the film. If you're looking for a multiple route mystery, go play Zero Escape or the Infinity series instead."

The lack of choices and "choose your own ending" are off putting to me.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I wish MGSV would've been completely done, I think i still would be playing it today if it was finished. Gameplay wise it's such a good game, and I'm saddened that Konami aren't making full use of it, and just decided to make a lovely zombie survival game out of it's assets.

I just wanted to be Big Boss, and recreate Rambo 3.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Scalding Coffee posted:

On top of that: Each supercomputer were named after US Presidents.

or could it be the other way around?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Considering its the fifth one, playing MGS1-4 doesn't really help with your understanding of MGS5's story. The first hour is still incomprehensible.

Peace Walker itself is almost completely irrelevant to V. Almost all side characters are forgotten or thrown away very quickly aside from Huey and Kaz, the entire subplot of Boss building his PMC is redone anyway, the only plot thread that's actually followed upon is the Cipher reveal, which happens in a post-game mission that is infuriatingly annoying to unlock and most people - myself included - probably just youtubed.

I think that maybe 3 would be interesting for building the origins of the whole thing, but that's more a reason to play a really good game than to 'get' the sequel.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I'm interested in Death Come True, but this review is off putting to me.

"Not worth the full price. It's a ~3h movie with 2 endings, which you pick at the end of the film. If you're looking for a multiple route mystery, go play Zero Escape or the Infinity series instead."

The lack of choices and "choose your own ending" are off putting to me.

I have played it and that's incredibly accurate. There are a lot of deaths along the way, but the biggest issue is that a mass of the content has no subtitles as far as I can tell. There are entire behind the scenes things and extra content unlocked by earning more deaths that seem to be, at least on the Switch version, entirely in Japanese with no subtitle option anywhere.

This is loving incredible given that the main game has like... 12 languages on it. You had better really, really want to gently caress with the new title from the Zero Escape + Danganronpa dudes teaming up for the length/mostly-simple branching

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I like MGSV but i like Ghost Recon: Breakpoint more because I can be stealthy in open world and do lethal kills without being guilted about it. <:mad:>

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

END ME SCOOB posted:

I have played it and that's incredibly accurate. There are a lot of deaths along the way, but the biggest issue is that a mass of the content has no subtitles as far as I can tell. There are entire behind the scenes things and extra content unlocked by earning more deaths that seem to be, at least on the Switch version, entirely in Japanese with no subtitle option anywhere.

This is loving incredible given that the main game has like... 12 languages on it. You had better really, really want to gently caress with the new title from the Zero Escape + Danganronpa dudes teaming up for the length/mostly-simple branching

Uh wow...so it's both very linear, choices don't matter, and it isn't properly translated?

What the gently caress?

It's 2020. Standards have changed.

I was hoping for 428 but FMV and a murder mystery.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Morter posted:

I like MGSV but i like Ghost Recon: Breakpoint more because I can be stealthy in open world and do lethal kills without being guilted about it. <:mad:>

I thought Ghost Recon:Breakpoint was complete and utter dog poo poo though?

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Fargin Icehole posted:

They patched it a bunch* so now it's as bad as whatever you thought of Wildlands(maybe better?) and the politics aren't quite as bad.

*Adding back ai partners, giving you the option to turn off the RPG cruft, fixing most of the bugs

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jul 20, 2020

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Fargin Icehole posted:

And so is MGSV, because it has no clue how to make its mechanics and open world feed into eachother at all. It feels good to play, but is so extremely hollow.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Fargin Icehole posted:

It never was but it's even less objectionable now if you hated playing solo or hated the RPG stuff or a bunch of other nice QoL changes.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Outer Wilds is pretty neat so far. It has always been kind of annoying when exploration of specific areas is time limited (I don’t mean the main gimmick) and it remains so in OW but there’s always something else to go look at so it’s usually fine.

I don’t think I’m ever going to get a handle on flying the spaceship though, at least in gravity.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

Outer Wilds is pretty neat so far. It has always been kind of annoying when exploration of specific areas is time limited (I don’t mean the main gimmick) and it remains so in OW but there’s always something else to go look at so it’s usually fine.

I don’t think I’m ever going to get a handle on flying the spaceship though, at least in gravity.

Don't look up any spoilers or solutions unless you are about to give up completely on the game. Everything is spelled out and explained in one way or another and very little you think you could do is actually impossible. If it seems impossible there's likely a much simpler way.

The first time in the twin planets I'm thinking "man, how the hell could I ever figure all this out in the time limit" and then a few hours later I'm blasting through it getting everything in a single pass.

Only thing you need to do is go to the Jupiter planet and talk to the guy once, and then again after a reset. He unlocks an ability for you that is super helpful in general.

I got about 2/3rds of the way through the game before hitting a wall of frustration and looking up what to do. It all made sense mostly because I was confused by things I hadn't been paying attention to at the time. The Quantum Stuff takes a bit of mental gymnastics to understand at first but then seems super easy.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Speaking of (somewhat) abridged MGS history, there's also this series by Chip and Ironicus:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLrekaHLD2rhb9wsyiCDR6vjbk29rVaT4g

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

pentyne posted:

Only thing you need to do is go to the Jupiter planet and talk to the guy once, and then again after a reset. He unlocks an ability for you that is super helpful in general.

You don't even need to do this, they just relabel the restart button in the menu so it fits better thematically.

Exact same position and functionality.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

StrixNebulosa posted:

This was a highly entertaining read. Metal Gear Solid really is a soap opera with military trappings, isn't it?
It's really simple, honestly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaLiLRVeaZA&t=278s

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

sauer kraut posted:

The Stick of Truth is really funny and as mentioned already, stacking damage over time is very strong.
My favorite was the Jew class. That bleed attack is vicious against bosses/armor guys, but all the other skills are great too except plague. It's like a better version of the rogue.
Warrior is dumb and mage is supposed to be the second/best choice depending on who you ask.

Thanks for letting me know. I had just started and the game seems fine but I picked Warrior as my class. I think the timing of attacks would work better on a console with a gamepad but it seems totally playable on my laptop.

Guess I'll go back and re-roll as a Jew.

On the topic of MGSV, I love that game so much. Even as unfinished as it is, it is still one hell of a ride. (I do wish David Hayter had done at least some of the voice work on it.)

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

(Excellent MG summary here.)

Really good work. Just the most important part of MGS 2 you left out.

The Internet was a mistake.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

You mean the naked Raiden flips.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Xaris posted:

Question for anyone whose played both Snowrunner and *TS series; how does the TS compare to Snowrunner? I've been enjoying Snowrunner a lot as a podcast game, just curious what sort of gameplay differences there are since I haven't played *TS game. I suppose the *TS are less about wrenching yourself and trying to drive through mud and snow and managing fuel/repairs and hauling big rear end cargo trailers that tip over easily right?
Snowrunner almost feels like a remote control truck on an obstacle course when holding it next to Truck Sim.

There's only so many different turns and intersections in use around the world so after about a dozen Truck Sim hours you've learned how trucks work on roads and there's not a lot of bang whiz traversal after that, where Snowrunner has a bit longer legs of finding interesting situations to drive across. From that point you play truck dress up or start the background idle game where drivers earn you money for more garages or truck dress up. Depending on what you want out of the driving you either slavishly adhere to the rules of the road or absolutely ignore them and turn the governor off and send your truck screaming through busy roads or alternate between the two.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

mmkay posted:

Speaking of (somewhat) abridged MGS history, there's also this series by Chip and Ironicus:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLrekaHLD2rhb9wsyiCDR6vjbk29rVaT4g

Seconding this. Chip and Ironicus love the MGS series and will absolutely call it on stupid bullshit. It's the way I've "played" MGS since 2.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Irritated Goat posted:

Seconding this. Chip and Ironicus love the MGS series and will absolutely call it on stupid bullshit. It's the way I've "played" MGS since 2.

Yeah I’m half way through it and it’s pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Kill it with Fire: HEATWAVE is a free demo of a game where you hunt spiders in your house, and collateral damage is expected:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APYY8HqhBE4

Was fun to play with for an hour, might get the full game when it releases:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1366290/Kill_It_With_Fire_HEATWAVE/