Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Say what you will about Millar, he wasn't the worst writer of The Ultimates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Push El Burrito posted:

Say what you will about Millar, he wasn't the worst writer of The Ultimates.

You know up until you said that I legit thought that he did all the Ultimates comics but I guess he only did the first two. But Im still going to blame him for the weird incestuous relationship Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch have in Ultimate Marvel because someone has to take the blame and I forget if that was his doing or Jeph Loeb and I'm not rereading them to figure out who it was.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Don Gato posted:

You know up until you said that I legit thought that he did all the Ultimates comics but I guess he only did the first two. But Im still going to blame him for the weird incestuous relationship Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch have in Ultimate Marvel because someone has to take the blame and I forget if that was his doing or Jeph Loeb and I'm not rereading them to figure out who it was.

That was Loeb. Millar, in an unusual display of restraint, had someone wonder if something inappropriate might be going on between Quicksilver and the Witch and be squicked by it. Loeb made it 100% explicit at the start of Ultimates 3 when it was declared that their sex tape was on the Internet.

Ultimates 3 was such a trash fire. Say what you like about Millar, but he and Hitch had brought the (at the time) fresh new style of The Authority to Marvel, with its superheroes-as-celebrities ethos and the "widescreen comics" action. Loeb and Madureira came in and immediately turned it into edgelord bullshit with distorted anatomy. It was like watching the 1990s happen all over again in the space of 22 pages.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Pick posted:

Hannibal isn't like offensive, as a show. It's just like some 14 year olds gay fanfic about hot tragic boys who love dogs but don't ~fit in with society~

Will graham should have spent the entire run in an invader zim t-shirt

Pick posted:

It's just about eating, looking sad, dogs, and talking like a vampire

haha goddammit, I like Hannibal but this is extremely accurate

Buml0r posted:

I'm not sure if I should post a picture of it, but long story short, there's a spin-off poster mag that has a full-on racist caricature in it, like, full banned 1940s Merrie Melody level, and we were *shocked* when we saw it. If you want to see it, you can google "Sonic Poster Mag Kid Cruel".

:eyepoop::eyepoop::eyepoop: Holy poo poo you weren't kidding, that was insanely racist.

Ape characters could totally work in Sonic, and probably be cool, and literally the only thing you have to do is not code them as black people stand-ins, either explicitly or subtly. But the Sonic comic goes way beyond that and makes the leader guy a full-on golliwog

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yikes.

Sonic Boom actually has a purple ape comedian (named Comedy Ape or something along those lines), who I think mostly just attracted Bonzi Buddy jokes. He's also met Donkey Kong.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

haha goddammit, I like Hannibal but this is extremely accurate

if you enjoyed hannibal I strongly recommend hannibal tumblr.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
so good even reddit can make a good post

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Pick posted:

so good even reddit can make a good post

even better for me because I haven't seen the show and I hear these in Anthony Hopkins's voice

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Imo it’s even funnier with Mads Mikkelsen’s accent

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
tumblr is harsh... but not always wrong

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

hawowanlawow posted:

even better for me because I haven't seen the show and I hear these in Anthony Hopkins's voice

Haven't read this thread in ages, so I was just scanning the last page with no context. And I was 100% reading this in George Peppard's voice.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Bit of inside baseball, I used to be involved in the same art community as Bryan Lee O'Malley before and around when Scott Pilgrim got published as a comic. Another artist who I won't name (not for any important reason, it's just a weird detail that isn't relevant to her current career) was working as a caretaker for people with trisomy 21 at the time, and would quietly call people out whenever they'd drop "retarded" as an insult. I know that was when most of us started checking ourselves and thinking, "You know...that actually isn't cool, and we should stop."

did you also know andy helms?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
columbo was a good show

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

did you also know andy helms?

Peripherally. I was friends with Nied.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pick posted:

columbo was a good show

:eyepop:

I don't think I've seen this episode yet

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Iron Crowned posted:

:eyepop:

I don't think I've seen this episode yet

I always wondered what he looked like under the raincoat.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
Media that aged extremely well

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Now we know what the "one more thing" was.

HIS JUICY rear end.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
Idk what's going on here or what this is from but I want to share it

Gargamel Gibson posted:

HIS JUICY rear end.
:allears:

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Rewatching some Adam Ruins Everything, which is a decent but formulaic show about how something is a lot shittier than you think it is, but it always ends on some nice inspirational message about how you can work through the system for incremental change. On the episode about the internet, they talk about how the internet is monopolized in America and such. But don't worry, you can use the internet for good! For instance, when ISP's wanted to repeal net neutrality, millions of people wrote into the FCC to get them to uphold it! yay net neutrality!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Gargamel Gibson posted:

HIS JUICY rear end.

huh, normally it's the hannibal chat that gets me wondering about the taste of manflesh...

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!
My favorite Hannibal moment was when they used the hotel a couple of blocks away from my apartment as a street in "Paris". Gotta love Toronto filming!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Bamabalacha posted:

My favorite Hannibal moment was when they used the hotel a couple of blocks away from my apartment as a street in "Paris". Gotta love Toronto filming!

Vancouver is really bad about this because of its natural scenery. Ah yes, the mountains of... Brooklyn

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Vancouver is really bad about this because of its natural scenery. Ah yes, the mountains of... Brooklyn

Vancouver was a lot of planets in Stargate

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Obligatory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojm74VGsZBU

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.
I started watching Wings and that say “oriental” a lot in an episode referring to a woman

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The TV show Continuum was filmed in Vancouver and actually set there.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mustached5thGrader posted:

I started watching Wings and that say “oriental” a lot in an episode referring to a woman

I occasionally remind my mother "rugs are oriental, people are Asian"

There's no malice, she's just old. Tough to shake what you heard all growing up and well into adulthood

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

The Bloop posted:

There's no malice, she's just old. Tough to shake what you heard all growing up and well into adulthood

“Plus, my grandmother had the utmost respect for the Jewish community. When I was little she told me to always treat the Jewish kids well or they’d put the sheeny curse on me.”

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

muscles like this! posted:

The TV show Continuum was filmed in Vancouver and actually set there.

The Highlander TV series was set in the fictional city of Seacouver. This let them locate the show in the US Pacific Northwest but still film at all Vancouver's landmarks.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Bloop posted:

I occasionally remind my mother "rugs are oriental, people are Asian"

My fiancee is part Korean and referred to herself as Oriental and months later we're still arguing about how that's a racism and she shouldn't do it

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Watched early 80’s slasher The Burning. Has a great Tom Savini scene, good cinematography, early Jason Alexander and it’s the first film produced by Miramax and, uh, Harvey Weinstein.

The sleazy 80s teen sex shenanigans come off as more sinister than usual.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The Bloop posted:

Realizing how extremely racist (at least) one half of my family is was heartbreaking--my mother confessed at one point that though she ate pecans her entire childhood, they were referred to as "n-word toes" so much that she didn't realize they had another name for a long time.

My mother was one of those who wasn't malicious, and when she realized things weren't okay, she made the effort to change--which I think is one reason some of the things my family does now took me by surprise, because she never modeled that behavior for me growing up. But her youngest brother, for example, never made that effort. He'd worked as a postman my entire life, and I never noticed growing up that every time he complained about his job, he was really bitching about brown people. He dropped all pretense when he got sick and died last year literally cursing "brown town" out loud for ruining his city.

itt: family that didn't age well

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Ambitious Spider posted:

Watched early 80’s slasher The Burning. Has a great Tom Savini scene, good cinematography, early Jason Alexander and it’s the first film produced by Miramax and, uh, Harvey Weinstein.

The sleazy 80s teen sex shenanigans come off as more sinister than usual.

It’s also the origin of his earliest allegations.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Len posted:

My fiancee is part Korean and referred to herself as Oriental and months later we're still arguing about how that's a racism and she shouldn't do it

As a minority myself, one of the most annoying things a person can do is to continue to get angry on your behalf even if you explained that its perfectly fine, and you don't actually see it as a problem. Unless she is like only 1/16 Korean or something.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

IShallRiseAgain posted:

As a minority myself, one of the most annoying things a person can do is to continue to get angry on your behalf even if you explained that its perfectly fine, and you don't actually see it as a problem. Unless she is like only 1/16 Korean or something.

Let's be honest here, if we white people don't correct you minorities you'll never get the respect you deserve. Best to leave the racial equality issues to those with the breeding for it.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
:yikes:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

marshmallow creep posted:

Realizing how extremely racist (at least) one half of my family is was heartbreaking--my mother confessed at one point that though she ate pecans her entire childhood, they were referred to as "n-word toes" so much that she didn't realize they had another name for a long time.

My mom has this same story but with Brazil nuts. The past was real hosed up. (So is the present, I guess.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Torquemada posted:

“Plus, my grandmother had the utmost respect for the Jewish community. When I was little she told me to always treat the Jewish kids well or they’d put the sheeny curse on me.”

lmfao that is not even remotely the same thing

marshmallow creep posted:

That's Brazil nuts.

efb on this part