Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I have issues with the post-Balance arcs, but a lot of what I've seen of TAZ's "fan communities" is unnecessarily cruel and exudes a sense of entitlement.

In other words, it is like every other insular "fan community" on the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
TAZ fans seem to delight in tearing down the object of their fandom. Everyone's got their perfect idea of what the show should be and are supremely disappointed when the brothers don't measure up.

Now if you'll excuse me I've got to go make an effortpost with statistical analysis on how Munch Squad is killing the podcast.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Oh I see exhausting relentless negativity is actually bad now, who could have seen that coming.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Mr Phillby posted:

Oh I see exhausting relentless negativity is actually bad now, who could have seen that coming.

There's a difference between a discussion among fans in fan spaces and doing drive-bys on their public twitter accounts

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Calm down, they are just being good friends. Making sure that their friend Travis is keeping his narcissism in check. It's actually a good thing. If you really loved him you would join in with your own casual burns of minor celebrities.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Okay, I'll start

"Minor celebrity" is a loving stretch

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Waffleman_ posted:

It was also basically one person

I’m starting to get pretty sick of this whole “ugh can you BELIEVE the HORDES of SJWs making these demands of the McElroys” narriative that has little basis in reality but persists nonetheless. Like, there are enought lovely people out there already. Why do you have to multiply them in your head.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Part of the problem is that the McElroys listen to those one or two people who are the loudest and change their projects based on them whether there’s any merit to the complaints or not. Granted, sometimes there is and a good chunk of their appeal is that they’re three white boys from WV who actually try to change and do better, but they also don’t need to listen to everyone.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Edit:nm

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I demand Glass Shark be a character in TAZ!

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!

Zero One posted:

I demand Glass Shark be a character in TAZ!

You come upon a castle with it's drawbridge up. You see something moving in the most but it's very hard to make out.

*18 perception check*

They appear to be sharks.....made of glass. What do you do?

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Colonel Whitey posted:

Part of the problem is that the McElroys listen to those one or two people who are the loudest and change their projects based on them whether there’s any merit to the complaints or not. Granted, sometimes there is and a good chunk of their appeal is that they’re three white boys from WV who actually try to change and do better, but they also don’t need to listen to everyone.

I'm trying to think of a time they've changed a project based on meritless complaints and drawing a blank. I can think of a few creative decisions they've made that might have been a bit overly cautious, but that's about it.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

travis DMs this charity stream with three people from dear evan hansen + erika ishii, matt mercer, and satine phoenix

it's pretty fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml2h1G8vSkw&t=1314s

eke out fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 19, 2020

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Dust is the 2nd best TAZ. Thank Travis for Travis.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Dust is the 2nd best TAZ. Thank Travis for Travis.

Dust had the same problem of Graduation with Travis trying to do way too much in too small a space but Dust still kinda worked because he was forced to wrap it up quickly.

Give Travis a deadline.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Too much in too small of a space is better than him trying to do too much in a giant space. At least he had a town they could explore. He's literally just transporting them from setpiece to setpiece like a linear video game.

Also, lol at the FunDrive episode starting with him saying "This is not going to be a gameplay-heavy episode" as if there has actually been one of those.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

buddhist nudist posted:

Dust had the same problem of Graduation with Travis trying to do way too much in too small a space but Dust still kinda worked because he was forced to wrap it up quickly.

Give Travis a deadline.

Graduation feels like he set up a huge world for them to play in for a nearly original series amount of time. Then Firbulg threatened the big bad and he has to fast forward. Amnesty could've gone another hunt for me though. I hope the next game has something Clint can goof more with. Argo is all serious time.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Bring back TAZ (K)Nights, tbh.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

So is this still a "skip" for now?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Also lol, the brothers are apparently writing a book about how to podcast good

https://www.seattletimes.com/entertainment/mcelroy-writing-book-about-how-you-too-can-have-a-podcast/

change my name fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jul 20, 2020

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

change my name posted:

Also lol, the brothers are apparently writing a book about how to podcast good

Yowza.

The grift is starting to be very real.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Yowza.

Ah yes how dare they try to make money off of their talents

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Step 1: Be exceedingly charismatic and witty.

But let me bury that in a book that you need to buy.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
1) libraries exist
2) there’s more to it than just personality, especially if you’re self producing
3) I get the vibe from the cover this book will be 66% goofs, 33% actual good information

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Oh yea, I forgot about the rock band microphones.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
if the grift ever became real it happened long before this point

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

The huge drop in quality for a ton of now remote podcasts demonstrates that they might have some knowledge to offer.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Yowza.

It's true, I got an advance copy and it was just a hollow shell full of spiders.

I've been rubed! Yikes. Criminy. Jeepers.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

If I was going to con an audience out of money in TYOOL 2020, my go-to would definitely be *checks notes* a book.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Fred is on posted:

It's true, I got an advance copy and it was just a hollow shell full of spiders.

I've been rubed! Yikes. Criminy. Jeepers.

Weird, I ordered a Spider Shell and all I got was some dumb book.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

kidcoelacanth posted:

If I was going to con an audience out of money in TYOOL 2020, my go-to would definitely be *checks notes* a book.

It's right below *checks notes* a commemorative plate.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

The huge drop in quality for a ton of now remote podcasts demonstrates that they might have some knowledge to offer.

I think a decent number of podcasts just record the audio from a zoom call and post it.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I too will be checking my notes. I am Travis McElroy.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They have already released 4 books between the three of them.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

kidcoelacanth posted:

yeah if they wanted more money at this point they could just make a patreon and immediately make six more figures a month

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

eke out posted:

yeah if they wanted more money at this point they could just make a patreon and immediately make six more figures a month

I wouldn't be surprised if their deal with MaxFun prevents them from doing that. A lot of MaxFun's revenue comes from McElroy fans pledging to the network.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They also seem pretty happy with MaxFun and probably wouldn't want to even if they theoretically could.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I wonder what MaxFun really does for them at this point? I can't imagine they need the cross promotion really, but I have no idea what their metrics would be.

They would most likely make way more off of a patreon I'd think as opposed to the ad spots. Man, maybe they could hire a DM to run adventure zone and they could all just be players doing goofs or something that way

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Elvis_Maximus posted:

I wonder what MaxFun really does for them at this point? I can't imagine they need the cross promotion really, but I have no idea what their metrics would be.

They would most likely make way more off of a patreon I'd think as opposed to the ad spots. Man, maybe they could hire a DM to run adventure zone and they could all just be players doing goofs or something that way

I imagine MaxFun helps out a lot with bookings and all and dealing the the more nitty-gritty stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

I imagine MaxFun helps out a lot with bookings and all and dealing the the more nitty-gritty stuff.

Oh that's true yeah, I forgot about all the live shows and stuff that would be too be done. Probably pretty helpful to have someone else handling all that stuff so that they can just focus on making things