Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

verbal enema posted:

and its not true the best goldsrc game is the They Hunger Trilogy

I thought Cry of Fear was up there. Getting smashed in the face with hammers by wobbly lunatics in a spooky apartment complex is fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manero
Jan 30, 2006

DOOM on 896 CPU cores

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSoCmAoIMOU

Edit: Nevermind, it's fake

Neat idea though!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Always bet on Duke.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

manero posted:

DOOM on 896 CPU cores

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSoCmAoIMOU

Edit: Nevermind, it's fake

Neat idea though!

Smoother than the Win 3.1 version of Bad Toys.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TmGiAs-6y8

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Mierenneuker posted:

Smoother than the Win 3.1 version of Bad Toys.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TmGiAs-6y8

Huh. Always saw the shotgun enemies as being ducks.

Ms. Chanandler Bong
Dec 20, 2008

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1050720/SCAR/

Anyone played SCAR yet?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Huh no, actually I had no idea this game even existed. This looks pretty cool so far? Haven't bought it yet, but my immediate critique is that I hope they do something to improve the visual feedback of the weapons: The animations leave a lot to be desired, and remind me a bit of Serious Sam 2's for some reason.

I just installed ELDERBORN last night after completing a second run of Black Mesa, and I've been having a lot of fun kicking dudes off of ledges and stabbing guys with my spear. The Dark Messiah of Might and Magic comparisons are fairly apt so far.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I just installed ELDERBORN last night after completing a second run of Black Mesa, and I've been having a lot of fun kicking dudes off of ledges and stabbing guys with my spear. The Dark Messiah of Might and Magic comparisons are fairly apt so far.

I was waiting for this to come to consoles but I feel like it never did

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Weird, TWINE had a following/good reputation? I remember hating it, and just wanting to go play Goldeneye again, which I then did.

Wasn't there a multiplayer map set in a hedge maze? Fuuuuuuuck that.

And if I'm misremembering, it's because the map felt and looked like a hedge maze. If they were going for something else, lol.

Edit: I checked out screenshots of the multiplayer, and remember that it was the super low FOV that I hated. I need 90 degrees or more (or whatever the console Rare equivalent was); anything less feels like I'll never see anything right next to me, and that's horrible to play with. TWINE felt like my head was 3-4 feet ahead of my body.

I enjoy both Halo and Borderlands, but their splitscreen multiplayer did that too.

Wasn't that hedge maze just part of a level? Like with a mansion and other stuff. I recall most the multiplayer maps being based off singleplayer levels, like GoldenEye.

I remember liking TWINE a decent amount. Sure it felt "off", in that it didn't quite have the exact same feel as GoldenEye/Perfect Dark. However it did deliver on what the original GoldenEye set out to do. Which is having a single player campaign vaguely based off the movie, with extra objectives for higher difficulties, and add a robust splitscreen local multiplayer mode, which they expanded in their own ways. Sure everything was "off" from the Rare offerings, but it was still a fun solid game.

Also I remember playing a fair bit of Nightfire on the PC, when it was new, and don't remember much technical issues, but the stealth was definitely ridiculously unforgiving. I don't remember finishing the singleplayer campaign, with some skyscraper level feeling impossible. I remember playing a very limited amount of the multiplayer, with limited internet access, and it was nothing too special, just your standard online FPS game modes.

This video about Nightfire PC seems to be judging an old game by modern standards, with the modern offering definitely being broken in ways I don't remember being an issue when I played it on Windows XP.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jul 20, 2020

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Jehde posted:

Wasn't that hedge maze just part of a level? Like with a mansion and other stuff. I recall most the multiplayer maps being based off singleplayer levels, like GoldenEye.

I remember liking TWINE a decent amount. Sure it felt "off", in that it didn't quite have the exact same feel as GoldenEye/Perfect Dark. However it did deliver on what the original GoldenEye set out to do. Which is having a single player campaign vaguely based off the movie, with extra objectives for higher difficulties, and add a robust splitscreen local multiplayer mode, which they expanded in their own ways. Sure everything was "off" from the Rare offerings, but it was still a fun solid game.

Also I remember playing a fair bit of Nightfire on the PC, when it was new, and don't remember much technical issues, but the stealth was definitely ridiculously unforgiving. I don't remember finishing the singleplayer campaign, with some skyscraper level feeling impossible. I remember playing a very limited amount of the multiplayer, with limited internet access, and it was nothing too special, just your standard online FPS game modes.

This video about Nightfire PC seems to be judging an old game by modern standards, with the modern offering definitely being broken in ways I don't remember being an issue when I played it on Windows XP.

Nightfire's saving grace was that gondola level. Holy poo poo that was a perfect mp map.

Also, the "off" feeling that you mentioned is exactly why I didn't go in for TWINE. I'd likely judge it far less harshly now but back then, it was GE or nothing, until PD came out.

It might've played at 5-10fps, but it FELT better than most.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I've been playing a few Half-Life mods and there's an enemy that's a zombie with a traffic cone on its head. The fact that it has appeared in two separate mods leads me to believe it's some kind of in-joke among modders because it's not from a Valve game.

e: It's some kind of vortigaunt/zombie hybrid with a traffic cone head and a loving giant battery on its back!

al-azad fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jul 20, 2020

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
After the cancellation of Silent Hills, Pyramid Head has fallen on hard times :(

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
pagb666 has started a new playthrough of a less-than-stellar DOS FPS and you should really, really watch the intro:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIosoNA9iso

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

al-azad posted:

Oh yeah the best James Bond Sterling Archer game aAlpha Protocol, how could I forget.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Carpator Diei posted:

pagb666 has started a new playthrough of a less-than-stellar DOS FPS and you should really, really watch the intro:

Ah, yes. I actually grabbed this at a Target for $10 around 1996. It's a weird, funny thing until cringe-worthy racism pops up later, and built on some kind of bespoke Wolfenstein-alike engine. The controls flat-out suck unfortunately - I gave up on it because it feels kinda spongy and unresponsive. Pity it didn't offer VESA support, because the sprite art isn't half-bad.

Any fans of Witchaven here? God help me, I kind of like it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Carpator Diei posted:

In a game chockful of things I should focus on, why is the death vocal clip so long? Im going to ignore it sounds way more like a very hungover guy pleading with the sunrise than a death yell, but its so long and repeated.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Bigass SW3 video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4EW85BKB28

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I wonder how hard they're going to lean into the whole "salvage weapons from enemies" system which, if I were to guess, was something that the developers felt they could expand upon to give the game a more unique identity, since it was in the original game.

So far it looks pretty fun: Lots of wall-running and grappling hook action...juggling the guns, the sword, and Ki powers...more of an emphasis on characters than SW2, etc. The enemy introductions are a little weird and break up the game's flow, but I imagine that it's something done mainly for the sake of a video like this.

Not sure how I feel about the wackier enemies, but it's probably another aesthetic that the game can really lean in to and help differentiate itself from more self-serious FPS games. I think as long as it doesn't go full
"Serious Sam 2" with it, I'm cool.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hasturtium posted:

Ah, yes. I actually grabbed this at a Target for $10 around 1996. It's a weird, funny thing until cringe-worthy racism pops up later, and built on some kind of bespoke Wolfenstein-alike engine. The controls flat-out suck unfortunately - I gave up on it because it feels kinda spongy and unresponsive. Pity it didn't offer VESA support, because the sprite art isn't half-bad.

Any fans of Witchaven here? God help me, I kind of like it.

Speaking of cringe-worthy racism, the cone-head guy I posted is from Heart of Darkness, a mod I remember being very fun (and may have been part of PC Gamer's mod collection disc???) as a dumb edgy high school student when it came out but within 5 minutes you get ching chong ping pong "Dog Factory Restaurant" and someone doing a terrible Cartman impression.

The cone-head vortigaunt zombie also appears in Paranoia, a mod that's actually good and probably the best traditional shooter mod I've played. It could've been a commercial expansion pack sold next to Opposing Force and Blue Shift.

I'm also playing through Cry of Fear and while there are still rough parts I can't believe how finely crafted it is and I would pay for a Pathologic 2 style remake/remaster.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Afraid of Monsters has some drat spooky zombies

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe_olj2NNzE

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

verbal enema posted:

Afraid of Monsters has some drat spooky zombies

AoM was cool because of its limits. CoF looked cool for what it was doing in GoldSrc right up until you actually had to play it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I set CoF to easy without hesitation and it works extremely well as a spooky haunted house game but if I had to balance resources against combat with unavoidable fast twitchy monsters in a game with save points I'd be out.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Ok the wall spikes are now giving me MAJOR bulletstorm vibes, which is definitely not a bad thing

I'm interested to see what they're doing for the health mechanics though, in previous Shadow Warriors they've done health packs and that one healing spell but just going off this it looks like they have regenerating health

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

al-azad posted:

I've been playing a few Half-Life mods and there's an enemy that's a zombie with a traffic cone on its head. The fact that it has appeared in two separate mods leads me to believe it's some kind of in-joke among modders because it's not from a Valve game.

e: It's some kind of vortigaunt/zombie hybrid with a traffic cone head and a loving giant battery on its back!

It's a reference to Plants vs. Zombies: https://plantsvszombies.fandom.com/wiki/Conehead_Zombie

al-azad
May 28, 2009

This mod came out in 2003.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

al-azad posted:

This mod came out in 2003.

Obviously Plants vs. Zombies is a reference to it then.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

While not technically "early" FPS its Doom so I will rant here.

I can't get into Doom Eternal. Maybe it's my age, maybe it's because when I play games it's late and I'm tired but...Doom Eternal is too fast, too "twitch" even for an old school FPS guy like me.

I can handle fast paced, I can handle arenas, tracking health, multiple weapons, ect. Hell, I loved Doom 2016. But Doom Eternal takes it all just a notch too far.

First up, there is just way too much poo poo to track. Chainsaw, Grenades, Flame Blech, ect. This was fine in the first game because while it would help you to survive to use the extra powers you had, it wasn't necessary. Knowing where all the health/ammo pickups in the map was much more important. However in Eternal, there are very few ammo/health pickups so you are forced to know when to Flame Blech, When to chainsaw an enemy, WHEN to use a well placed grenade to take out a few grunts, ect.

Managing all of this would be doable, but the enemies in Eternal feel much more aggressive and are must faster than they were in 2016.

For example, Hell Knights. I could handle these guys in 2016. They were not slouches, but I could hold my own on Ultra-Violence. In Eternal, these guys kick my rear end, even on Hurt Me Plenty, and often you get swarmed by Imps while facing them as well.

And the arena battles are just exhausting. I don't find them to be fun I'm honestly just mentally exhausted by them. Trying to track what enemy I'm facing and then pairing with a weapon they are weak against, knowing when to chainsaw an imp for health, timing a perfect flame belch, and then not wasting too much ammo on the big guys as you gotta manage that or else the Imps may make short work of you. No Grenades to hit the Cacodemon with? Welp.

I get where they were going with this game, but I'm Doom guy. I don't really want to worry about managing my ammo, or platform jumping, or constantly die because I couldn't stagger that zombie fast enough and the Pinkys just ganged up on me. I thought 2016 had everything balanced pretty well but Eternal is just exhausting to play.

*edit*
Also the platforming good god I feel like I'm playing Uncharted, Doom edition.

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 21, 2020

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I can't get into Doom Eternal. Maybe it's my age, maybe it's because when I play games it's late and I'm tired but...Doom Eternal is too fast, too "twitch" even for an old school FPS guy like me.

I can handle fast paced, I can handle arenas, tracking health, multiple weapons, ect. Hell, I loved Doom 2016. But Doom Eternal takes it all just a notch too far.

First up, there is just way too much poo poo to track. Chainsaw, Grenades, Flame Blech, ect. This was fine in the first game because while it would help you to survive to use the extra powers you had, it wasn't necessary. Knowing where all the health/ammo pickups in the map was much more important. However in Eternal, there are very few ammo/health pickups so you are forced to know when to Flame Blech, When to chainsaw an enemy, WHEN to use a well placed grenade to take out a few grunts, ect.

Managing all of this would be doable, but the enemies in Eternal feel much more aggressive and are must faster than they were in 2016.

For example, Hell Knights. I could handle these guys in 2016. They were not slouches, but I could hold my own on Ultra-Violence. In Eternal, these guys kick my rear end, even on Hurt Me Plenty, and often you get swarmed by Imps while facing them as well.

And the arena battles are just exhausting. I don't find them to be fun I'm honestly just mentally exhausted by them. Trying to track what enemy I'm facing and then pairing with a weapon they are weak against, knowing when to chainsaw an imp for health, timing a perfect flame belch, and then not wasting too much ammo on the big guys as you gotta manage that or else the Imps may make short work of you. No Grenades to hit the Cacodemon with? Welp.

I get where they were going with this game, but I'm Doom guy. I don't really want to worry about managing my ammo, or platform jumping, or constantly die because I couldn't stagger that zombie fast enough and the Pinkys just ganged up on me. I thought 2016 had everything balanced pretty well but Eternal is just exhausting to play.

What difficulty are you on, cause Doom Eternal is one of the few games where there really is no shame in playing on the easiest difficulty, especially on your first playthrough, cause even then it can be pretty challenging

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

What difficulty are you on, cause Doom Eternal is one of the few games where there really is no shame in playing on the easiest difficulty, especially on your first playthrough, cause even then it can be pretty challenging

I turned it down to "Hurt me Plenty" and while it is more manageable I feel like I am always terminally low on ammo even keeping in mind that I gotta chainsaw the zombies/imps to replenish. It never feels like enough. Which I get is the point but I just want to blow up demons, not constantly worry about never having ammo.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Solaris 2.0 posted:

:words:

Out of curiosity, how far are you in the game right now? Personally, I noticed that the ammo (or lack thereof) was really noticeable in the beginning because A) You have no ammo capacity upgrades B) You have 1 or 2 weapons, so you don't even have the other abilities or ammo types (i.e. plasma weapons, explosives weapons, blood punch, better grenades, BFG, etc.) to fall back on, and C) DOOM Eternal feels really different than DOOM 2016 despite being a direct sequel...and I think most of us ran right into it with the same strategies and at the same difficulty we played 2016 on. The ammo issue definitely went away for me later on, even without taking into consideration the increased chainsaw usage.

I also agree with the advice about turning down the difficulty--not just for you, but players in general. I played DOOM 2016 on Nightmare and jumped right into Eternal on Nightmare and it was like a brick wall. I stuck to it and stubbornly refused to drop the difficulty, but I can definitely see where it would be a complete shock to get your rear end handed to you over and over again. The difficulty settings are totally not a 1:1 from 2016.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I turned it down to "Hurt me Plenty" and while it is more manageable I feel like I am always terminally low on ammo even keeping in mind that I gotta chainsaw the zombies/imps to replenish. It never feels like enough. Which I get is the point but I just want to blow up demons, not constantly worry about never having ammo.

Trust me you want to do I Want To Live for your first run

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Eternal is definitely too concerned with matching the right tool to the right enemy, and there are too many combinations and they all come flying at you at once. In 2016 you can survive by running around and blasting away with whatever but in Eternal that’s not good enough, especially at high difficulties.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I did my first run on Ultraviolence, and was surprised so many people had so much trouble.

Maybe I'm some kind of mutant, because I had no trouble with that but Sekiro was way too much for me.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Roth posted:

I did my first run on Ultraviolence, and was surprised so many people had so much trouble.

Maybe I'm some kind of mutant, because I had no trouble with that but Sekiro was way too much for me.

I had the exact same experience, I breezed through Doom Eternal on Ultraviolence but Sekiro was a complete brick wall despite playing the poo poo out of From's previous souls games

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Doom Eternal comes into its own at Cultist Base. The game spends a really really long time drip feeding you abilities and tools to make sure you aren't overwhelmed but it has a nasty side effect of making you think combat is weaker than it really is for a long time.

The other thing that can be hard to click is you really, really, really need to go offensive and treat this more akin to a Devil May Cry or Bayonetta. Grenades are life, flame belch is life, chainsaw is life, supershotgun is your lover.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Barudak posted:

Doom Eternal comes into its own at Cultist Base. The game spends a really really long time drip feeding you abilities and tools to make sure you aren't overwhelmed but it has a nasty side effect of making you think combat is weaker than it really is for a long time.

The other thing that can be hard to click is you really, really, really need to go offensive and treat this more akin to a Devil May Cry or Bayonetta. Grenades are life, flame belch is life, chainsaw is life, supershotgun is your lover.

On the other hand it makes revisiting levels much more interesting than in a lot of games between that and all the collectibles to find

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

al-azad posted:

I set CoF to easy without hesitation and it works extremely well as a spooky haunted house game but if I had to balance resources against combat with unavoidable fast twitchy monsters in a game with save points I'd be out.

That one moment where you are in the school and you reach the fuse box or whatever will give you a heart attack no matter what difficulty level you choose.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I think you may be overthinking it. Just chainsaw, glory kill and flame belch as you go. The timers on them are generous enough that you can just leave it a short amount of time and know that it'll be ready.

Fodder are there as ammo/health/armour pinatas and will keep you well stocked at all times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
drat that impossibly sexy paul and his vast web of connections that let him get the good cocaine

he roguishly seduces woman after woman, selflessly working to secure their eggs before time and leftism leave them barren