Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Major Isoor posted:

Out of curiosity, for those who do game/round logging (for me I use ScorePal atm), I have a question.
So firstly, I've been playing (over the course of several weeks, as people become available) in a Rallyman GT championship. So far two time trial rounds have occurred (well, in progress. First one I won, second isn't over yet. I'm looking good for it too, though!), but I'm wondering how you all would log this.
For instance, would you put a round in for each race of the championship (and if so, what about the final result? An extra round with the overall leaderboard, or not?), or would you just put in one round played, for the final outcome?

We've been doing a Rallyman GT championship on BGA so I made a special spreadsheet that I copy the results page into and it totals all the results and generates various stats.

That said if you're logging plays then just log the actual games, the end result is not a game so the scores won't be in the same range as a normal game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Aramoro posted:

We've been doing a Rallyman GT championship on BGA so I made a special spreadsheet that I copy the results page into and it totals all the results and generates various stats.

That said if you're logging plays then just log the actual games, the end result is not a game so the scores won't be in the same range as a normal game.

Yeah, fair enough - I figured that would probably be the best approach. Well, seeing as I haven't logged any yet, I might wait until it's over, then log them all in sequence. So that way if I look at the calendar/game-specific stats, I'll see that those races are all in one clump, which will be easier to pick them apart from the other unrelated Rallyman games that take place, in the meantime.

In any case, how are you finding Rallyman GT? I love it! ...However, I tend to somehow have a lot of luck when it comes to rolling d6s, so I tend to get loads of tokens and not spin out.
(Especially compared to a friend of mine, who span out at the very start of all three of his attempts...not even on the first corner! On the 3rd or 4th space he spun out each time, hahaha :D I feel so sorry for him and his awful luck, but drat it's funny to watch)

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Major Isoor posted:

Yeah, fair enough - I figured that would probably be the best approach. Well, seeing as I haven't logged any yet, I might wait until it's over, then log them all in sequence. So that way if I look at the calendar/game-specific stats, I'll see that those races are all in one clump, which will be easier to pick them apart from the other unrelated Rallyman games that take place, in the meantime.

In any case, how are you finding Rallyman GT? I love it! ...However, I tend to somehow have a lot of luck when it comes to rolling d6s, so I tend to get loads of tokens and not spin out.
(Especially compared to a friend of mine, who span out at the very start of all three of his attempts...not even on the first corner! On the 3rd or 4th space he spun out each time, hahaha :D I feel so sorry for him and his awful luck, but drat it's funny to watch)

We're finding it really great, not sure how fiddly it would be o play with your meat hands but online? It's really fun. For us it's easily replaces Formula D as our racing game of choice.

In terms of luck my spreadsheet works out a 'Cursed' statistic so at least that player can complain with some validity.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I hope you Rallyman lovers are aware the sequel, Rallyman Dirt, is up on KS with 3 days to go.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/holygrailgames/rallyman-dirt

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

CommonShore posted:

Imperial Struggle Effortpost

I was thinking about doing a long well-organized post at first. Then I thought about windmill slamming my verdict. Now I'm going to split the difference:

TL;DR Verdict: Save your money

Gameplay

The game has two turn types: peace and war. The flow of the game takes players through 6 peace rounds divided into three eras, and 4 wars.

Peace rounds proceed through a rotating action point selection mechanism. There are three action types: economic, diplomatic, or military. A player's phase action involves selecting a tile from a market row. Each tile has a major value and a minor value for each of those categories. Furthermore, there are two tag symbols that can appear on any tile. One is an event card, the other is a military redeployment. Economic points are used for manipulating market spaces, which provide trade goods, which score points (sometimes). Diplomatic points provide points mostly for influencing European powers, which provide military alliances or VP through "prestige." Military points do a whole bunch of things, including building fleets, deploying fleets, building/occupying fortresses, or improving your deployment status for upcoming wars. The squares are spread across a map with four strategic spheres: North America, the Caribbean, Europe, and India. The further resource to track is "debt" and "treaty points" which can be cashed in for additional action points.

War rounds are largely a "let's see how this turned out" scoring phase with very few decisions. Every war has three or four theatres of conflict, each of which contributes to total score and victory margin. Through the peace rounds the players are jockeying for board position in strategic spaces and/or switching around facedown military tiles. Most of this represents opportunity cost decision making. Eg. to win a Jacobite Rebellion conflict, the key factors are alliances in Ireland and Scotland, meanwhile the Central European powers are having a thunderdome the outcome of which depends on alliances in Saxony, Spain, Sweden, Denmark, Russia, Bavaria etc etc. Players will participate in both simultaneously, and they'll have to decide whether to use their Diplomatic and Military points to invest into one or the other by creating alliances or investing in facedown "bonus" military chits. Every war scores as a victory margin. A low margin victory is worth 1-2 tug-of-war VP, wheras a higher one can result in... oh say France deciding which North American spaces suddenly get a funny new flag with stars and stripes on it.

So the game proceeds through 6 peace and 4 war rounds, and then there's a brief final scoring.

Gameplay review

It's a bit of a mess. Each part is fine, I guess, though the "War" rounds feel less like rounds and more like midgame scoring checks. Overall the rules are infested with lots of exceptions. For example, if the British player is staring at a "2" value market with a French flag on it, it costs 2 Economic action points to shift that to 0, and then 2 to shift that to British. That's fine - except it costs 1 more to remove the French flag if that is a "protected" mraket via being adjacent to a Frensh ship or fortress. But it costs only 1 to shift it down if that market is "isolated" or in "conflict". But the "protected" bonus is always applied afterwards. And you can only shift down with your "major" action points, not your "minor" action points, or your "bonus" action points which can come from events. Oh and if your actions are spread between two regions (but not subregions) it costs 1 more action point for the subsequent regions, though apparently that only applies to combined economic/diplomatic actions, not to military ones.

Likewise, if a market is in "conflict" it is not "isolated" but anything farther down the chain is "isolated" and can't be used for spreading board position... but apparently "conflict" or "isolated" markets still count for scoring.

The war system just makes me go "why"? Your military units are abstracted through little hex chits that you place face down. That's fine, but there are two types of tiles: basic and "bonus" ones. The "bonus" ones link to historical events or people, and they're the ones you buy with military points to put more muscle into a conflict. But there's a different set of bonus ones for every war, and players have to scoop up the ones for The War of Spanish Succession once that war is over, and dig out the ones for the War of Austrian Succession, etc. Now, I haven't gone through the chits to look at the exact balance and how it shifts from era to era, but this seems needlessly fiddly to me because when you buy a new tile you have to draw one from a facedown reserve anyway. The only obvious function is to prevent a "George Washington" chit from affecting an earlier war. This is a lot of chits and a lot of fiddling for relatively little gain.

The rules exceptions and extra chits aren't the worst, but my complaints about this bleed into my next section...

Production Quality

This is quite a bit of a mess that makes the problems with the fiddly gameplay even worse. The production values are half-assed. The map is poorly conceived. Areas and subareas aren't labelled on map. Players cover the name of a space to put a chit on it, and in the case of European diplomatic spaces, cover up the space's value too. There are typos, too - the war board for the French and Indian theatre of the Seven Years War indicates that Spanish alliances affect the outcome, but the actual board indicates otherwise.

The rulebook is not good. The game system's vocabulary is a problem. I'm not going to dig it out right now to have it verbatim, but there are multiple kinds of spaces on the board (a la Virgin Queen or HIS) but the vocabulary isn't a particularly tight closed-loop keyword system. "Territory" and "Region" are extremely different things in Imperial Struggle, but that's not quite clear, and there isn't much of a glossary for quick reference to these things.

There are things on the board which quite clearly have special rules, but they're impossible to find in the rulebook. When the second historical era "Empire" begins in peace turn 3, "Prussia" becomes a European power. Ok, that's fine and good, but it's labelled "Only Empire" - ok... does this go away in Era 3 then? I don't see why it would, but I could find no mention of this special Prussia space in the rules.

I also find that the map is a bit disorienting, because the way it's set up India is directly beneath Europe, and I find it really hard not to think "Africa" the way it's set up. It's not as if anything is labelled anyway.

Anyway, I'm not going to itemize all of these gripes. This game manages to feel as if it was rushed to market, even though it spent 5 years in production. Maybe a heavily revised second-edition rulebook would change things, and a version which eliminates the heaps of superfluous chits (it's worse than Here I Stand, imo, at least proportional to the player count) would streamline the gameplay, but I don't know.

Both of us agreed that it was ok, but not even in the same league of quality as Twilight Struggle. It's not good enough for us to want to play it again instead of other things we could spend our time on. It's sad, but I don't think we'll play it again.

Errr.... I mean it's awesome bid heavily for it in your next math trade.
Interesting points, but in regards to the bonus war tiles, they are all the same for each era, there's no balancing for them. The rulebook itself does have an aside that you don't need to swap them in/out if you don't care about the flavour.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kennerspiel des Jahres has gone to The Crew, surprising nobody, but in an upset SdJ has been given to Pictures.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Infinitum posted:

I hope you Rallyman lovers are aware the sequel, Rallyman Dirt, is up on KS with 3 days to go.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/holygrailgames/rallyman-dirt

Oh no! Why must you put this tough decision on my shoulders?! I only just bought Rallyman GT, and I so want this, now...
:negative:
I'll have to sleep on it...hopefully I can resist the siren song! :D

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

There's a $1 pledge manager access tier, so you can always look at grabbing it later as a slackerbacker

Jedit posted:

Kennerspiel des Jahres has gone to The Crew, surprising nobody, but in an upset SdJ has been given to Pictures.

The Crew is def included in my next batch of pickups, it's just that until very recently it's been absolutely impossible to find in stock anywhere.
I have heard nothing but glowing reviews of it. Good poo poo.
Cartographer's was robbed! Robbed I say!

Interesting to see Pictures, I thought My City was the sure winner.
Though I suppose after Just One winning last year, simpler is better for that category.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Speaking of quick, easy, rules light games.

Fury of Dracula: Digital Edition is launching on Steam

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Oh, remote play together. That's neat. I always had trouble with these types of game 'cause you'd have to buy four copies or whatever.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tekopo posted:

Interesting points, but in regards to the bonus war tiles, they are all the same for each era, there's no balancing for them. The rulebook itself does have an aside that you don't need to swap them in/out if you don't care about the flavour.

:bang: That's close to a full sheet of chits.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

CommonShore posted:

Yeah, it's really weird why they would go through the trouble, I guess they had empty space on the sheet and didn't know what to do with it. It's kind of pointless.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

CommonShore posted:

Yeah, I think the parts of the game i'm not that high on were Ananda trying to come back and add flavor and shuffling around bonus war tiles is not something i'm ever going to do in physical.

It's a lot of cardboard for nothing.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tekopo posted:

Yeah, it's really weird why they would go through the trouble, I guess they had empty space on the sheet and didn't know what to do with it. It's kind of pointless.

IS has an obnoxious amount of blank/dummy chits on its sheets too. They could have easily removed an entire sheet with some more planning.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Any recommendations on Euro-style board games to ‘graduate’ to after Settlers of Catan for a group of 3-4 people?

My friends and I recently started playing Settlers again during the pandemic on colonist.io, and will probably mess around with the expansions when they release on that platform. We’ve played Ticket to Ride before, but not much else in the vein of SoC.

Online is a must, as we live in different states.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Cervixalot posted:

Any recommendations on Euro-style board games to ‘graduate’ to after Settlers of Catan for a group of 3-4 people?

My friends and I recently started playing Settlers again during the pandemic on colonist.io, and will probably mess around with the expansions when they release on that platform. We’ve played Ticket to Ride before, but not much else in the vein of SoC.

The Scripted Powergrid on TTS is a really excellent implementation. As is the Root one but that's a bit of jump up in terms of complexity.

On Boardgamearena you've got Carcassonne thats well done and an excellent game. Clans of Caledonia if you like the building a settlement stuff. Caylus is on there as well for a bit more of a worker placement style game. There's a whole bunch of Euros like Lewis and Clark, Russian Railroads, Tolziken, Troyes, Race for the Galaxy etc but they're not that much like Catan.

What was it about Settlers that you liked?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Cervixalot posted:

The answer is concordia

prokaryote
Apr 29, 2013

Cervixalot posted:

Concordia is a good recommendation imo - not sure if there's a good online implementation?

I'll also throw out Terra Mystica which is playable on Boardgamearena. It has hexes, resources and buildings and passive aggressive blocking so I feel it is kind of similar to Settlers in that regard. It is somewhat heavy though. I'm under the impression that it's similar to Clans of Caledonia mentioned above, but is simpler (I have not played the latter). I also prefer TM to Gaia Project which is another 're-implementation' of the terra mystica system

edit: Caylus you can also play on BGA but the spatial element is simpler/more abstract.

prokaryote fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 20, 2020

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Settlers is more of a sum of its parts game for me.

- I like that there are multiple paths to victory
-involves co-operation with rivals(trading meta)
-seems to be a good mix of luck & skill required to win
-gameplay is a good balance of strategic & tactical decisions

One weakness is that on certain boards with 4 players, 1 person can be more or less eliminated from the game pretty early on, which is no fun for them.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Thanks for the recommendations! Going to investigate all of these - have a feeling there’s a lot out there we would enjoy.

Settlers is kind of the entry-level/gateway drug for this type of board game, yeah?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Cervixalot posted:

Settlers is kind of the entry-level/gateway drug for this type of board game, yeah?

It....was. In a way it still is, but its definitely a game from the earlier days of board gaming - these days there are much better options available.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Popular games I'd recommend for a group getting into the hobby/next step from Catan:

Pandemic - coop game about fighting diseases around the globe with characters that have unique powers

Concordia - resource management/pseudo deck builder set in the Mediterranean

Wingspan - engine builder about birds

Agricola - worker placement about building up a little farm and not starving

Azul - Tile placement and drafting with little theme but pretty pieces

The Resistance - team game about figuring out who is on which side

Kemet - Risk-esque game about fighting in Egypt with cool monsters

Some of these have dedicated apps/Steam releases but all of them are available on Tabletop Simulator

Party games are also a great choice for remote gaming. Stuff like Wavelength, Codenames, Just One, Medium all work great with any voice/video chat.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 20, 2020

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I love Agricola but that's something I'd be wary of dropping on people. It's not for everyone. It's an engine-building game that you play on a razors edge, and can easily end up so hosed that you have a miserable 90 minutes of the game as you eat your pet sheep and stare at your farm which you will never have the bandwidth to finish. I had a guy end up with negative points once, as he never grew family and just squatted day laborer and planted a field to eat raw grain. He also sucked at board games, but that's tangential I suppose.

Azul is good, Wingspan is good, I hated Pandemic but I know it's popular.

I think the current best go-to game for people who have never played anything outside of the hasbro is Flamme Rouge (though still good for people who are 'board game players')

- It has little plastic people which everyone likes
- It's extremely obvious from the setup what the objective is. You don't even need to explain the goal of the game for everyone to know how to win and how to evaluate everyones relative positions.
- The decisions are strategic, but also simple enough that they go fast and have virtually no AP because of the limited information from other players.
- There's an interesting element of comeback, or at least the feeling like the people in last still 'had a chance' near the end, since if one person was leading the entire time their deck is full of crap by the finish line
- The game rewards staying in a pack, so you never really feel permanently behind
- If you have people who are already 'board game players', it's very intense, especially near the end. 90% of my games finished with multiple people crossing the finish line at the same time and it coming down to a difference of one or two squares

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 20, 2020

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Bottom Liner posted:

Party games are also a great choice for remote gaming. Stuff like Wavelength, Codenames, Just One, Medium all work great with any voice/video chat.

Depending on party size (4-8 is ideal), you can't really talk about remote-play party games without talking about Jackbox. They're barely even board game adjacent, so they won't scratch quite the same itch as, say, a euro-style game, but on the off chance the OP wasn't aware of it...well.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Bottom Liner posted:

Popular games I'd recommend for a group getting into the hobby/next step from Catan:

Kemet - Risk-esque game about fighting in Egypt with cool monsters

As much as I enjoy Kemet, it's INCREDIBLY front loaded with information and makes for a frustrating experience where it feels like you don't know what you're doing. It's also incredibly aggressive, and one person can gently caress it up by feeding wins to another player by not, e.g., removing their weakened armies from the board. I think an easier intro DOAM game would be maybe something like March of the Ants?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

PRADA SLUT posted:

I think the current best go-to game for people who have never played anything outside of the hasbro is Flamme Rouge

I love Flamme Rouge but most people find the idea of bicycle racing boring and the card play isn't as strategically interesting if you don't understand the game on a decent level, and it's a game that gets better when everyone playing is on an equal and better skill level than randomly playing high cards because they don't grasp the game. An alternative that is always a big winner for non-gamers or newcomers is Camel Cup, where you bet on racing camels.

Speaking of racing games, the earlier chat about Rallyman got me looking at the new KS and the new version just seems worse? A time trial of racing for the best time seems strictly worse than the original where you can bump and stuff right? I haven't played it but I want to try it, just curious if that change in Dirt seems as bad to others that have played.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Games I've played with 'newish' gamers that worked well:

Flamme Rouge
Quacks of Quedlinburg
Clank
Too Many Bones (on 'easy')
Azul
Tales of the Arabian Nights
Sheriff of Nottingham
Champions of Midgard
7 Wonders

Games which didn't but I've heard recommended:
Scythe

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Played a good game of Root yesterday on TTS.

We played the Mountain map, Exiles & Partisans, with:

Moles
Crows
Vagabond
Cats (me)

I took a startlingly fast lead by hitting 15 points before anyone else had cleared 3, mostly by camping the pass and clearing paths for bonus points. Proceeded to get dog-piled by all three factions so hard I basically had no board presence the last two rounds. Vagabond won with a final round 15 point victory—enabled by an un0shuffled quest deck.

A good lesson in not winning too hard in a game as player-balanced as Root, and to not assume TTS auto-shuffles crap for you.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

prokaryote posted:

Concordia is a good recommendation imo - not sure if there's a good online implementation?

Boiteajeux has a full online implementation.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Jedit posted:

Does it have any of the expansion maps or salt?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Bottom Liner posted:

Does it have any of the expansion maps or salt?

Has six maps, choose starting resources variant, salt, forum tiles.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Oh snap that's great. Thanks.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Cervixalot posted:

El Grande on yucata.de
Very simple ruleset for its weight.

prokaryote
Apr 29, 2013

Jedit posted:

hooray!

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

Speaking of racing games, the earlier chat about Rallyman got me looking at the new KS and the new version just seems worse? A time trial of racing for the best time seems strictly worse than the original where you can bump and stuff right? I haven't played it but I want to try it, just curious if that change in Dirt seems as bad to others that have played.

Yeah I backed it, then read it was just time trials and instantly unbacked it.

I would also say that Clans of Caledonia is a lot easier than Terra Mystica.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

silvergoose posted:

Has six maps, choose starting resources variant, salt, forum tiles.

The actual web interface is pretty good too, other than the fact that the chat window doesn't auto refresh but the rest of the interface does?

Anyway assuming you're using voice chat or whatever that doesn't matter

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

So uh, Sidereal Confluence is ridiculously fun even over TTS. I now really want to find a chance to play that thing IRL. And also inflict it on all my friends, though I'm pretty sure it 100% wouldn't work well for alot of them.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
sidereal owns, glad you got the chance to play it!

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Aramoro posted:

Yeah I backed it, then read it was just time trials and instantly unbacked it.

Just buy the GT that is already out. Problem solved! It’s a solid game with so much developer and fan support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

djfooboo posted:

Just buy the GT that is already out. Problem solved! It’s a solid game with so much developer and fan support.

Yeah, I'm torn now. I love offroad rally more than tarmac racing in general (especially with shortcuts, fords etc like R:D has) but the lack of supported non-time trial racing is a bit annoying. I assume there's nothing stopping you from just doing it though, and having a proper race, right? Might need to use rules from R:GT though I guess - and probably skip using the orange 'first driver' dice. (OR have a two-lap* race, with the first using orange dice and the second using white)

Really though, I just want to have a super-sized city->country->dirt stage, which due to the time taken will be like a 24hr LeMans for the players, due to the obscene amount of time it'll take :D

*Or if you're racing on a non-circuit stage, racing one way, then the reverse track afterwards. Orange first, white second